A defensive player with the 10th pick

Vuja De ?

For the NFL, Verse looks like an impactful edge rusher who could fit in either a 4-3 or a 3-4 defense. He can line up over either offensive tackle and should be an asset as a pass rusher and run defender. Some pro team sources are projecting Verse to be a pick in the back half of the first round during the 2024 NFL Draft. However, it would only take one team to fall in love with him to draft him a little higher.

• More Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Is there any defensive player they could take at 10 that wouldn't piss you off?

Heard one mock today that had them taking Texas DT Byron Murphy II at 10.  On the one hand I'd be shocked, but on the other hand I think he could pair with Quinnen to give them the unquestioned top 1-2 punch at DT in the NFL.  Many pockets collapsing and QB's getting bludgeoned.

Oh you!! Haha 

The “trade down” crowd should be much more scared of this than anyone else.

These dicks are convinced the Jets would move down and take a Brian Thomas or Amarius Mims while picking up a 2nd round pick.

Meanwhile I can totally see a trade down resulting in a Byron Murphy or Cooper DeJean because of “value”.

As far as I see it, you realistically stay at #10 and take one of Odunze, Bowers, or Fashanu. Do that and I’m happy assuming guys like Harrison, Nabers and Alt are gone.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

The “trade down” crowd should be much more scared of this than anyone else.

These dicks are convinced the Jets would move down and take a Brian Thomas or Amarius Mims while picking up a 2nd round pick.

Meanwhile I can totally see a trade down resulting in a Byron Murphy or Cooper DeJean because of “value”.

Hey. Dick? Sure. But stupid enough to want a potential dud WR (instead of one of the top 3) over an OT in a "trade down" scenario? Cmon

IF the Jets trade down and get incredible value on someone like Murphy, I will only be annoyed until I see how rounds 2 and 3 shake out. An OT in round 2 would relieve a lot of stress. At WR, if we don't like the value on the board in early rounds, I'm personally OK with supplementing the room with another short term Vet. Several players are still out there with WR3 talent.

Edit: this is also assuming that the top 10 studs (Alt and the 3 WRs) are gone when we move back. Also, finding a starting quality WR is a lot easier in rounds 2 and 3 compared to OT, if recent draft trends say anything 

If they trade the pick I’m fine with a defensive player going #10.

On a serious note Murphy is probably the best fit, but scoring points has been the team’s biggest problem for years and this draft is very strong at premium offensive positions. Not a year to get cute. Stick in the strength of the draft that fills a need.

• Upvote 2

With Huff leaving for big money, in hindsight, I can understand the WMD pick from last year. Good business.

But like, if we take another D lineman and I have to read some "JD on some 4D chess sh*t" defense in the minutes after...

It better be offense, and it should be an offensive tackle.

• Upvote 3

I could easily see a defensive player picked, by the Jets, at 10. 

It would not shock me at all.  

A defensive player could easily be the BPA.  The top offensive players will likely be gone at 10.  I would take a stud DL type than Brock Bowers.  

JD followed the manual.  He filled the holes in the starting roster.  Now he has to draft the best talent.  

Depth at OT or WR can be had in Rd 3.  

• Upvote 2
  • Ugh 1
  • More Ugh 1

42 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Heard one mock today that had them taking Texas DT Byron Murphy II at 10.  On the one hand I'd be shocked, but on the other hand I think he could pair with Quinnen to give them the unquestioned top 1-2 punch at DT in the NFL.  Many pockets collapsing and QB's getting bludgeoned.

I would not be shocked to see Saleh pounding the table to take the first defensive player in the 2024 draft.

Outside chance the first 9 picks are all offensive players.

Jared Verse, DE, FSU

What I wrote December 17th, 2022

O'Cyrus Torrence had a good season last year playing next to Max Mitchell. Haven't seen him play this season at UF but this would ultimately be a travesty of a pick for the Jets to make. Please guys, don't talk yourself into this. McShay has Paris Johnson going top 10. That's the highest I've seen him go. Really liked him if we picked 15-24 range. Jaelyn Duncan from Maryland is on tier with Johnson on tape. Anton Harrison from OU should also be in the mix in the late 1st or 2nd round.

But going from this mock, I would go with Jared Verse, DE, FSU. JFM and Lawson cost a ton as above average to good players. Therefore for cap purposes draft their replacement because when they hit FA they're going to once again ask for a ton. Verse, Johnson, Clemons and Huff would make a great two unit edge group.

I would also favor Jordan Addison. We can spend the Davis and Berrios money elsewhere. Do 1st round TEs ever workout? Therefore I would shy away from Michael Myers and look for a WR despite our TEs being high priced JAGs

46 minutes ago, Larz said:

Raise your hand if you had the jets board last year when they were on the clock as McDonald/Mayer. 

I would've preferred Mayer.  We'd have had a great TE, plus we probably would've "resigned" Bryce Huff.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, ElBarrioJets said:

No one should ever be shocked by the Jets taking a DL in the 1st round. 

OT is the pick in the first unless a top WR falls. The cupboard is bare and the dropoff in OT talent after the 1st round is dramatic. 

I think JD is going to look to trade down and take an OL in the 1st and WR in the 2nd.  

• Upvote 4

Just now, Beerfish said:

If The Jets take a D player with their first pick even if they trade down the whole crew should be immediately be fired, like on the spot and have a chimp pick the rest of the draft.

But don't worry, zero chance they will take a D player.

Unless that D player turns into an absolute star, I think the fanbase would revolt.

4 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Unless that D player turns into an absolute star, I think the fanbase would revolt.

I mean hey. Pair Murphy with Q Williams, watch them tear the league up, and get a 2nd or 3rd round OT who turns out to be starting quality when Tyron Smith inevitably misses time? 

We're just keyboard warriors, I'd be upset at the time of the draft but who knows.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The league doesn't like defense. I think the new dropkick Murphy tackle rule devalues defensive players to some degree.

1 minute ago, Mr. Rogers said:

I mean hey. Pair Murphy with Q Williams, watch them tear the league up, and get a 2nd or 3rd round OT who turns out to be starting quality when Tyron Smith inevitably misses time? 

We're just keyboard warriors, I'd be upset at the time of the draft but who knows.

Is there an actual defensive player rumored to go toward the top half of the 1st round named Murphy?

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Is there an actual defensive player rumored to go toward the top half of the 1st round named Murphy?

None other than this strapping young lad. Not as Irish as you'd expect from the name, but I'd have a beer for him all the same.

Doesn't he just look like the type of goon JD falls in love with? I've seen him mocked as high as 8th but as low as 25th, admittedly, but I think if the Jets trade back and he's floating around they may be tempted. With Kinlaw and Thomas on roster they may feel less compelled but then again... Will McDonald.

Screenshot_20240326_222249_Instagram.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Imagine the best defensive tackle was available to the Jets every single year for 50 years.  At what point do you say:  "Okay, he is the best defensive tackle in the entire world, but I need to formulate a team that can win ball games and go to the playoffs."

That is how I feel about the Jets right now.  Any defensive player taken by the Jets with the 10th pick this year is just plain stupid.

• Upvote 4