Zach traded to Denver [merged]

Glad I missed the whole he’s staying debate everyone is arguing about.

Anyway, besides his play the thing that most pissed me off was the entitled attitude when this guy milked a concussion to NOT play football at the end of the year. 

Completely oblivious that those could very well be his last meaningful snaps in the NFL. The last chance to compete and be a warrior. That no matter how tough the situation is that you have a fire inside and actually love playing football. He didn’t want to risk his fragile girly body and shrank from the privilege to play NFL football.

He’s a bitch.

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Adoni Beast said:

Looks like Denver does good business with us.

Now trade up to 10 with us.

I would bet money that they discussed this.  Situationally, it could happen!

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'd be interested to hear what Sean Payton has to say about this trade.  He's the guy who helped turn around Drew Brees' career, after all.  I wonder if he's going to give ZW a chance to compete for the job or if he's strictly a bench guy.

Given Denver's QB room right now, almost by default, Zach will get a chance.  Of course, things can change after the draft.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Frankly shocked Payton pulled the trigger here.

Thought he jettisoned Russ mainly because he refused to run plays as called and insisted on freelancing.

ZW is a homeless man's version of Russ in terms of stylistic approach to the game, holding the ball too long and trying to rely on crazy pocket escapes to extend plays.

Wouldn't be surprised if ZW is cut in-season by Payton.  Doesn't seem like a marriage likely to work.

If Zach screws up can't run the offense etc he'll be history there fast. I don't think he'll defy Payton or change calls that's different than botching them which is what he did here. Look Payton might believe he can resurrect Zach he reportedly liked him coming into that draft. And he's got the cred in developing QBs with the exception of Russell W. Zach has tools and can light it up the thing is he seldom does that. But Zach is in a better place for his career than he was hours ago. 

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Justin fields is a conditional 2025 that could be a 5th so that's very rich compared to what the Jets got for Zach 

Mac Jones is a similar comparison to the Zach deal but the jags did not ask the pats to pay half Mac Jones salary 

Actually the Pats got an outright 6th round pick for Jones, so they gained a pick overall.

We only did a pick swap, so net gain is zero. Just moved up 50 slots from 7th to 6th round.

Pats made out better than we did with picks, but given our situation, we essentially traded for 2.75 (or possibly 5 million) in cap space with no loss (or gain) of picks.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

So glad that bust is gone. All of you that supported Zach despite the eye test and horrible numbers should reflect on this episode and learn that hope doesn’t equate talent.

I didn't want Zach at #2, but after the Jets drafted him, I was all in on him.  I'm a Jets fan, and that's what Jets fans do!  They hope for the best, and root for the guy, even though we didn't want him.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Great deal for Denver.

Low cost 25 year old guy that has an arm and has won in the league.

Obviously lots of issues but well well worth a later round pick swap and 2.5 million.

He is going to a coach that will at least try to get something out of him.

I agree.  No real downside for Denver.  And, unlike Russell Wilson, Zach will know that Sean Payton at least has some affinity and hope for him.

One other thing, and not to be conspiratorial or suggest a revenge motive, but Payton making Zach even modestly successful when Hackett really couldn't.... 

Not Telling Bbc GIF by Line of Duty

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, slats said:

None of the QBs taken at or after #2 in that draft were a success

That doesn't excuse the pick 

It's up to the GM to say "hey wait a minute yes I need a qb but this isn't the solution" and make another pick instead 

There's this prevailing logic that the Jets HAD to pick Zach. They didn't. In fact if the rumors are to be believed Saleh and other coaches wanted to keep Sam 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Esquire said:

If Payton turns Zach into a top 10 QB in this league it will be an indictment of the Jets organization.  Same holds true with Sam Darnold in Minnesota.  I expect both of them to do well.   

Just like Darnold did in QB haven San Francisco huh

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If Zach screws up can't run the offense etc he'll be history there fast. I don't think he'll defy Payton or change calls that's different than nothing them which is what he did here. Look Payton might believe he can resurrect Zach he reportedly liked him coming into that draft. And he's got the cred in developing QBs with the exception of Russell W. Zach has tools and can light it up the thing is he seldom does that. But Zach is in a better place for his career than he was hours ago. 

No doubt about it.  Payton is a no-nonsense guy so if Zach is given a chance, he's going to have to adjust quickly.  But it's interesting that Sean Payton (a coach who knows QBs) was the guy who acquired him.

1 hour ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

How has Denver fared compared to the Jets in the last 30 years?  I assume the "lol" means you think the Jets are the far superior organization.

I mean, the Broncos DO have the 2nd longest current NFL playoff drought (2015), so…..

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Actually the Pats got an outright 6th round pick for Jones, so they gained a pick overall.

We only did a pick swap, so net gain is zero. Just moved up 50 slots from 7th to 6th round.

Pats made out better than we did with picks, but given our situation, we essentially traded for 2.75 (or possibly 5 million) in cap space with no loss (or gain) of picks.

This is correct 

The 193 pick for Mac Jones is worth about 14 points on the chart 

The Jets net gain from the pick swap is 6 or 7 points 

In that perspective the pats got double the price and didn't have to pay half Mac Jones salary 

• Upvote 3
  • More Ugh 1

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

No doubt about it.  Payton is a no-nonsense guy so if Zach is given a chance, he's going to have to adjust quickly.  But it's interesting that Sean Payton (a coach who knows QBs) was the guy who acquired him.

Did you feel the same way when Payton acquired Jarrett Stidham?

• Haha 4

Yea, he was one of the worst football players i’ve ever seen.  He has no idea how to play football, and it was stepping on shells around these parts for a long time, trying to be tactful about what we were seeing on the field.

90% of the problems the Jets have had over the past few seasons, were on the failures of the terrible qb play.  It’s just that simple.

The takeaway from this sad state of affairs, is to never take a player that is so raw, that he needs 4 years+ to even have a chance of developing.  In the modern NFL you will never catch up before the hatchet drops.  

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, bitonti said:

This is correct 

The 193 pick for Mac Jones is worth about 14 points on the chart 

The Jets net gain from the pick swap is 6 or 7 points 

In that perspective the pats got double the price and didn't have to pay half Mac Jones salary 

Jones at least looked decent once.  

He was god awful here. Likely forever is. 

But he also came to one of the most unfriendly QB environments in NFL history. An absolutely horrible job by the Jets drafting and developing him. 

• More Ugh 1

54 minutes ago, rbstern said:

I'm hoping he gets a chance to play in Denver.  It will be fun to see if this was environment or individual.

Fast forward to August when Zach gets assigned to the practice squad:

”When you really think about it, Ben DiNucci is only going to be the temporary QB3.  I’m sure Zach will get his shot later in the season.”

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The phrase that I wanted to use but did not think people would get was "take a haircut" 

It's a liquidation sale. 

To trade the 2 overall pick after 3 seasons for 7 points on the draft value chart is failure of Joe Douglas not a success 

And cap relief. But my point is it's better than outright cutting him which is what you wanted to do. Or is the 7th to a 6th and 2.75 mil in cap relief nothing? Stop moving the goal posts. No one was debating that Wilson wasn't a complete bust that we wasted the #2 pick on. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Esquire said:

If Payton turns Zach into a top 10 QB in this league it will be an indictment of the Jets organization.  Same holds true with Sam Darnold in Minnesota.  I expect both of them to do well.   

Talk about a sub-plot to our season!

• slats locked this topic
  • slats unlocked this topic