Zach traded to Denver [merged]

26 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Basically we not only couldn't give him away... we have to pay part of his salary. (6th for a 7th thrown in as parsley) LMAO. That's JD begging so he doesn't look like a complete fool.  

He is THAT bad.

Thank you Joe Douglas. Thank you.

The market for Becton is/will be similar.

JD' 1st round busts are amongst the Jets worst.

I did not say anything about Wilson when the Jets picked him. Did not watch the draft or any football due to the Covid outbreak and shutdowns, But I had watched college games the year before, and when my son stated the Jets picked a QB named Zach Wilson, my response was who?! Never watch him. But to take him 2nd in the draft that was a major bust and disgrace by Douglas. Now Bechton, was a different story. I came on this board and stated more than once he was not a left tackle. That his best position was guard. And I got destroyed. I wanted Douglas to pick the Iowa guard, who I stated on this board, he will be am all pro in the 2nd year. Well Tristan Wirfs went to Tampa Bay and protected Tom Brady to a super bowl. And he is an all pro. And now moved to tackle.   

• Upvote 1

Jeremy Fowler @JFowlerESPN
Few thoughts on #Broncos/Zach Wilson deal:

*Team has been in market for vet help since March, gets Wilson at low cost ($2.75M, late-round swap).
*Still enough ability with Wilson that perhaps a QB guru such as Sean Payton can salvage him
*Broncos worked on this for weeks. At least one other team checked in.
*Yes, team looking at QB options high in draft but something that was reminded to me: Roster needs much help and not much draft capital. Hard to maneuver that way.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, cat999 said:

So Mac Jones and Justin Fields ended up generating roughly the same compensation as JD got for Zach considering the 50% salary dump.  

Justin fields is a conditional 2025 that could be a 5th so that's very rich compared to what the Jets got for Zach 

Mac Jones is a similar comparison to the Zach deal but the jags did not ask the pats to pay half Mac Jones salary 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

To be fair- i did always have Denver as the landing spot if it wasn’t NY. Win-win here. Zach is close to Utah full time now.

Except you were adamant he was staying here.

In before "this just proves my conspiracy theory was right!", lol. 

• Post of the Week 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Zach played and produced at least a few good games , Gholston stood on the filed and watched 21 other guys play. 

The Zach mistake forced them to push all in on Aaron. Huge draft capital and soon massive cap hits. On 4 plays 

But The Jets just let gholston bust and moved on 

Also The opportunity cost of passing on chase, parsons, Sewell etc is way worse than whoever was in the gholston draft 

• More Ugh 1

24 minutes ago, rangerous said:

good place for zach to go to.  i wish him luck except in games denver plays the jets.  I think it's possible he's going to show something that wasn't so apparent here.

VERY possible with better offensive coaching in Payton. Win Win deal IMHO. He's off our books for half his $$, Denver gets a QB with starting experience and we move up some in the later rounds. Plus ZW is closer to Utah now. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Except you were adamant he was staying here.

In before "this just proves my conspiracy theory was right!", lol. 

I thought he’d stay. Surprised Denver/Payton took him in. But Denver was an obvious spot due to it being the closest place to Utah, which I’ve been pretty clear was a factor for Wilson.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

are you saying that Zach is worth alot?  

because that's implied in your Pennies on the dollar comment.

i thought you didn't like him.   so my guess is you misused the phrase.

The phrase that I wanted to use but did not think people would get was "take a haircut" 

It's a liquidation sale. 

To trade the 2 overall pick after 3 seasons for 7 points on the draft value chart is failure of Joe Douglas not a success 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

NY Jets

Joe Douglas and the New York Jets have brought an end to the Zach Wilson saga as the disappointing quarterback is being shipped off to the Denver Broncos.

🚨 🚨 🚨

Former #Jets starting QB and No. 2 pick Zach Wilson is on the move. Sources say he’s being traded to the #Broncos, hoping for a fresh start.

The deal includes a late-round pick swap (6th for a 7th) and NYJ will pay some of Wilson’s roughly $5.5M salary. pic.twitter.com/7Y1KShZ3sg

— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) April 22, 2024

The Jets will pick up a sixth-round pick from the Broncos while the two teams have agreed to split Wilson’s 2024 salary.  Each club will pick up half of the $5.5 million he’s owed.

The post Jets Ship Zach Wilson to Denver in Swap of Day 3 Picks appeared first on JetNation.com - New York Jets Blog & Forum.

Click here to read the full story...

I'd be interested to hear what Sean Payton has to say about this trade.  He's the guy who helped turn around Drew Brees' career, after all.  I wonder if he's going to give ZW a chance to compete for the job or if he's strictly a bench guy.

14 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Frankly shocked Payton pulled the trigger here.

Thought he jettisoned Russ mainly because he refused to run plays as called and insisted on freelancing.

ZW is a homeless man's version of Russ in terms of stylistic approach to the game, holding the ball too long and trying to rely on crazy pocket escapes to extend plays.

Wouldn't be surprised if ZW is cut in-season by Payton.  Doesn't seem like a marriage likely to work.

He’s going to have to make the team. 

• Haha 1

Lets hope that he wins the job and then the fist game is Denver at NY.

Yes, because we know how well THAT would work out for us.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Haha 2

My lord how many sacks would the Jets d-line have?
I'm sure I heard similar about how we'd devour Sam Darnold in his first game in Carolina ...

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Mac Jones is a similar comparison to the Zach deal but the jags did not ask the pats to pay half Mac Jones salary 

The Jags are paying Jones ($2.785 million) almost exactly what the Broncos will be paying Zach ($2.75).  If Jones had been making more, who knows what the Jags would have asked the Patriots to pay.

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Good move to turn the page on him. Wonder how much of the 5.5mill we're picking up. I'm guessing a decent amount for us to move up 50 spots in the draft.

2.75 and Den the other 2.75...a 7th fot a 6th... I'd say this is the best JD could do after that buffon owner open his mouth about Wilson.

• Upvote 2

Great deal for Denver.

Low cost 25 year old guy that has an arm and has won in the league.

Obviously lots of issues but well well worth a later round pick swap and 2.5 million.

He is going to a coach that will at least try to get something out of him.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bitonti said:

The phrase that I wanted to use but did not think people would get was "take a haircut" 

It's a liquidation sale. 

To trade the 2 overall pick after 3 seasons for 7 points on the draft value chart is failure of Joe Douglas not a success 

None of the QBs taken at or after #2 in that draft were a success. Everyone missed. Cautionary tale for those at the top of the draft this year. I think the Bears may be making a Darnold for Wilson swap. 

1 hour ago, Columbia Jet Fan said:

Biggest bust in team history - good riddance. 

It really did turn out to be that way.  For a while, guys like Blair Thomas and Vernon Gholston roamed the minds of Jets fans as wasted Draft capital.  The choice was to use the #2 for a QB and trade Darnold, keep Darnold and use the #2 on another player, or keep Darnold and trade back from #2.  We can all tell what should have been done in hindsight.

How would some of these guys have looked in Jets green?  Ja'Marr Chase, Penei Sewell, DeVonta Smith, Rashawn Slater?  WR, OT, WR, OT.... Four year later the Jets STILL looking to solve those problems.

image.thumb.png.18dfa04d95d5c9e70f6137af920cff0d.png

• Post of the Week 3

7 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

In the words of Gary Cohen after Johan Santana threw the first Mets no hitter: “IT HAS HAPPENED!!”

Except that ball was clearly fair down the line. Bogus no hitter.  Followed by his career being ruined because he threw way too many pitches that day.  

• Upvote 1

• slats locked this topic
  • slats unlocked this topic