How excited are you by this year‘s Jets draft?

How exciting was this year‘s Jets draft?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. How exciting was this year‘s Jets draft?

• Definitely the most exciting Jets Draft in years!
    • Very exciting
    • Meh
    • Underwhelming
    • Would have been better scheduling a colonoscopy this weekend

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

In 2-3 years he’ll be a 26-27 year old small QB, with a weak arm.

Spencer Rattler was there in the 4th and the Jets traded out of 2 of their 3 picks to draft an unnecessary power back instead.

There was also Michael Pratt.

The Jordan Travis pick really irritated the sh*t out of me because I think once you started hitting quarterbacks in the fourth round, you do have to start exploring tools you guys for at least some semblance of upside. I don't see that at all in Jordan Travis. I think he's just another guy who maybe, on his best day, is a backup QB with a weaker arm and some  mobility.

I think rattler sucks and maybe that’s where we differ.  Also there was no way jd was going to draft any qb who could possibly disrupt the karma of the offense.  Truth i think all of these guys are backups.  And age for qbs is less important, if he gets to play when he’s 26 he could still have 7-8 good years.  But that’s a best case scenario.  But there’s only so many qb prospects each year and when guys like bo nix and penix go top 12 you take the tackle and wait till next year

I judge the offseason which includes the draft when grading JD and the job the Jets did this offseason.

For the free agency period, I give JD an A+

For the draft, it is very mixed for me.  The pick for Fashanu was great, the move for Corley was great where we got him, and then it was a hot mess after that IMO.

I still don't understand why we couldn't stay with the 3 picks in the 4th round, and get higher rated players instead of trading down, trading up, and trading for 2025.  Actually, I liked the trade with Detroit with getting their 3rd round pick for 2025, but I see it at a 30 pick advance for next year.  I just can't understand after getting our guy for #65, we waited 46 picks until #111, and then instead of picking someone, we trade out and wait another 15 picks, before trading that pick, and then the next pick 3 spots down, to trade down again.

My head was spinning, and I am going to not even try to make sense of it all.

However, I liked the running back we got, but didn't understand getting 2 running backs.  I liked getting the QB, and feel that was a good pick.  I am neither elated or upset with the CB we got at the end there. 

So, on the draft as a whole, I must still give the Jets a "B" grade, since they did what they must in the 1st round, and were smart with Corley in round 3.  If I was just judging the latter part of the draft, I would give the Jets a D-, but I must factor in round 1 and round 3.

At the end of the day, JD gets a A- for the offseason.  JD did too many good things for the overall grade to be less than a A-.

I understand the JFM trade, and even though I get it, I was unhappy losing him for the upcoming season.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Spencer Rattler was there in the 4th and the Jets traded out of 2 of their 3 picks to draft an unnecessary power back instead.

The Jordan Travis pick really irritated the sh*t out of me because I think once you started hitting quarterbacks in the fourth round, you do have to start exploring tools you guys for at least some semblance of upside. I don't see that at all in Jordan Travis. I think he's just another guy who maybe, on his best day, is a backup QB with a weaker arm and some  mobility.

Woody says you’re wrong lol and woody is a football genious 

IMG_1659.jpeg

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

Meh.

I like the Fashanu and Corley picks, but I would have considered trading up for Mitchell in the 2nd.

I think JD would have done better by not getting cute and just staying put with the three 4th round picks. Alot of good talent was still on the board.

The 2 RBs is peculiar, but I personally think RBs should be drafted young and utilized for a few years while their legs are fresh. It's a young man's position. So I'm not going to bash JD for having three guys battling for two spots behind Breece with one probably landing on the practice squad assuming no injuries. With the little I have seen in highlight videos, both new RBs have some skill, and Davis in particular looked like a man among boys albeit against low level competition at a small school.

They needed a developmental QB3 and got one.

As with every draft, let's see what happens when the pads come on.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Weird draft outside of Olu - which was a great pick. 

The Draft Day memes were fun with Corley but why do I feel like we got Brad Smith, two Perines, a Bollinger and D'Squarius Green. 

Because you’re a Jet fan.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Imagine having the balls to say this a few weeks after dumping the former #2 overall pick QB for a late round pick swap. This dude has the oldest QB room in the sport, but wants to be a “QB Factory”?

Feel like this was kind of a “we’re already really good” draft. Slot receiver, two guys who will fall RB2-RB4 in the pecking order for at least two years and hopefully more, a two year QB3.

I think veterans will fill out the roster some but I feel like they could’ve done a better job trying to acquire cost controlled assets who could have value.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, derp said:

Feel like this was kind of a “we’re already really good” draft. Slot receiver, two guys who will fall RB2-RB4 in the pecking order for at least two years and hopefully more, a two year QB3.

I think veterans will fill out the roster some but I feel like they could’ve done a better job trying to acquire cost controlled assets who could have value.

Well put. You could sense the arrogance with the repeated trade downs and then the heat check with Travis and the backs. First thought that came to mind was that they have some handshake deals with vets that they’re bringing in over the next few weeks and Douglas drafted with those guys in mind

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Well put. You could sense the arrogance with the repeated trade downs and then the heat check with Travis and the backs. First thought that came to mind was that they have some handshake deals with vets that they’re bringing in over the next few weeks and Douglas drafted with those guys in mind

Yeah I kind of figured they’d potentially bring back McGovern for example. But maybe someone like Bortolini in the fourth could push Simpson or give a little more upside as a backup since Schweitzer is in place.

They don’t seem to care at safety. The DL is kind of thin for what they want and I don’t necessarily know who they’ll bring in there. Maybe some UDFA’s make the team. That’s the biggest spot that jumps out.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

I wouldn’t have been picking in the 3rd.  I would have traded into the 2nd and taken just about anyone else.

ahhh

see, I think Corley was easily a second round prospect. I saw him among the top 40-50 players available in several places and consistently saw him mocked in the 2nd. 

This is going to a debilitating offense to play against.  Instead of beating teams with speed like the Dolphins, we’re going to be breaking tackle after tackle; leaving defenders questioning their self-worth. 

The league is going to have to create a new defensive statistic: the “would-be tackle.”

• Haha 2

Flew back from NJ today after one of my other son’s wedding and went out to grab a burger at a local Boca Raton sports bar.  A large portion of the bar area was set up for a celebration, decorated with lots of gold ballon’s, some shaped like footballs.  Found out they were there to celebrate our local football stars being drafted to the NFL by the Green Bay Packers, Michael Pratt.  
When it quieted a bit I went of to congratulate and wish him luck.  Told him that there’s a huge contingent of Jet fans who wanted him drafted by the Jets, wanted him to learn from AR8 and to then compete for the job when Rodgers hung it up.  Nice kid

IMG_3674.thumb.jpeg.739504816c091795bed053e4ed200a1e.jpegIMG_3680.thumb.jpeg.cdc1ef7ceba3723b2d017cf899ecf5e1.jpeg

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I feel like Hall and Allen could be a legit duo. A lot of people had Allen as RB1

6 hours ago, New York Mick said:

I stopped caring years ago. One pick will probably be good but not great, another one might start and if they’re lucky another might be on the team in 3 years. Oh yay!

You didn’t stop caring years ago

I will tell you one person who seems to hate it and that is our head coach. You can just tell from his attitude and body language that he was neutered and is not happy with this draft at all. 

I actually thought it was a pretty solid draft though I think. 

I loved the Corley pick. He is hard to classify so was not viewed as highly as he maybe should have been. 

I was very opposed to OT at 10, but it was probably the right pick at 11 with the way the board fell. And JD picked the right one IMO. Basically the anti-Becton. 

Corley is sort of the anti-Elijah Moore as well.

No one can grade a draft for a couple years but I thought the process was solid.

But Saleh is still head coach.

7 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

He’s had 1 good draft in 5 years.   What park are you talking about?  JD is not a good GM. No one wants him after he gets fired.  His record sucks cock.  

I love when the anti JD crowd go in on him it’s always that he had one “good” draft. Calling that draft “good” is like saying Dua Lipa is “attractive”.

4 hours ago, bonkertons said:

I love when the anti JD crowd go in on him it’s always that he had one “good” draft. Calling that draft “good” is like saying Dua Lipa is “attractive”.

I love fans who laud the GM of the worst team in sports.   Look at the stats and measurables objectively.  He is not good.  What team would want him after this stint?   

• Upvote 3

13 hours ago, JETSxWRATH™ said:

Meh

I like the Fashanu pick, not as high as everyone else seem to be on the "YAC King", liked the Braelan pick, I feel like Travis pick was wasted, and don't care one way or another about the other picks

Going into day 3, I was really optimistic on our draft.  But I have no idea what JD did yesterday (beyond the trade for Detroit's 3rd next year, plus the RB Allen).  Doesn't mean JD is wrong, of course (I'm far from a draft expert), but in my uninformed opinion, I didn't like day 3.

I feel confident Olu will be good and that Allen will serve a purpose.  To me, the whole draft comes down to Malachi Corley.  I don't know if he's running over NFL DBs anywhere close to the way he did in college but I'll trust our scouts' evaluations over my own questions about the guy.  And, fwiw, I do think there's a chance he'll be a productive player.  I still wouldn't mind if we acquired another WR (wouldn't have minded taking a shot on a guy in the 4th round - maybe Tez Walker) but I  get that we still have Lazard on this roster so there's not really much room left.

If Malachi doesn't work out then it feels like it'll end up being a thin draft (maybe just Olu and Allen, who I think will only serve a limited purpose).  If he does work out then it was a "strong enough" draft because OT and WR were the 2 desperate needs.  And let's see how high Olu's ceiling is.  If he ends up being the next d'Brick, that would be huge in and of itself.

If I had to give a quick grade, my gut says that this was a C+ draft.  The good news is that AR8 is now fully paid for.  Plus we have all of our picks next year plus an additional (likely low) 3rd rounder.

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Flew back from NJ today after one of my other son’s wedding and went out to grab a burger at a local Boca Raton sports bar.  A large portion of the bar area was set up for a celebration, decorated with lots of gold ballon’s, some shaped like footballs.  Found out they were there to celebrate our local football stars being drafted to the NFL by the Green Bay Packers, Michael Pratt.  
When it quieted a bit I went of to congratulate and wish him luck.  Told him that there’s a huge contingent of Jet fans who wanted him drafted by the Jets, wanted him to learn from AR8 and to then compete for the job when Rodgers hung it up.  Nice kid

IMG_3674.thumb.jpeg.739504816c091795bed053e4ed200a1e.jpegIMG_3680.thumb.jpeg.cdc1ef7ceba3723b2d017cf899ecf5e1.jpeg

The dude looks like Paul Walker.  If football doesn't work out he can try being in movies.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

Funny, we entered the draft saying there were limited opportunities for a guy to contribute immediately.  It was a primary reason lots of draft pundits were pounding the table for bowers here b/c the jets TEs are middling at best, and he would have been an immediate upgrade.  The other obvious immediate contributor would have been a top 3 wr but they couldn’t trade up.  So instead they take a pure LT who may wind up playing LT or RT or both this year (Fashanu said he took reps at both tackle spots), while LT has been a turnstile since brick retired.  Then they luck out and take a wr projected to go mid 2nd round who is compared to deebo, who has a clear path to an immediate role as a slot wr.  They took a developmental qb which many here have complained they don’t do enough, so really the main complaint would be they took 2 rbs instead of 1.  Not sure who else they could have drafted who would have had an immediate contribution, besides a slot wr and backup rbs.  

Who said that?  I didnt.  There were plenty of ways to add talent that could contribute immediately this season; TE, WR, IOL, S, LB, CB.  Acting as if this was the only logical approach to this draft is bizarre.   Ofcourse he could have done more and made different moves that could have had a bigger impact this season.

So really the main complaint isnt just that they took 2 RB's.  Yes, it is one of the dumber things I've seen a GM do in a long long time in the draft but that's only part of the equation.

JD treated this draft like a team that has arrived and doesnt really need any extra help this season.  I like the Corley and Travis pick.  Solid moves.  We'll see if Corley contributes this season but this idea he's Deebo because someone said so, is just silly.  It's like saying dude, how could we pass on Zach Wilson when Chris Simms said he's Pat Mahomes?   Deebo dominated the SEC, not the CUSA, he was explosive as all get out, dude scored in every fashion possible, receiving, rushing, kick returns and punts, he was recruited by and played for one of the best offensive minds in Football history.    I like the Corley pick, calling him Deebo is insanely long stretch.  And I dont know how you think he has a "clear easy path" - Lazard is Rodgers best friend and this team loves Gipson.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I would bet money that we end up relying on Fashanu, and maybe to a lesser degree, Corley. Allen will be in the mix, as well. 

beyond that, I don’t think there were players on the board in the 5th and beyond who were likely to be major contributors next year. The Jets roster is pretty good. 

I'm not complaining about the 5th and beyond. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Saleh got very few LB and Db, but he had been getting them for 4 years. 

It’s kinda funny that they’ve given Saleh a bunch of safety-to-LB conversion projects every year trying to recreate Fred Warner and every year Douglas has to turn around and give CJ Mosley another $20 million in cash to keep him on the roster. 

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This goes right up there with “tell the fans to get excited about the mini-draft”

Hey man, as long as the rooms are cool, everything is groovy!  

PVO baby!!!! PVO!!!!!!!!

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Mogglez said:

I wanted no part of Rattler but I get what you're saying (and I agree with it).  Didn't like our 4th round at all.  Even the trade with Detroit is likely to be a late 3rd rounder but it will definitely still have some value.  

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This goes right up there with “tell the fans to get excited about the mini-draft”

I get the feeling JD is blowing smoke here.  I wouldn't be surprised if Izzy doesn't even make the team.