How excited are you by this year‘s Jets draft?

How exciting was this year‘s Jets draft?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. How exciting was this year‘s Jets draft?

• Definitely the most exciting Jets Draft in years!
    • Very exciting
    • Meh
    • Underwhelming
    • Would have been better scheduling a colonoscopy this weekend

2 minutes ago, JetsFlyer said:

Meh

fashanu fell to us  no brainer

no clue on the YAC king how will his game playout in the NFL he's the key to this draft

others are lunch pail picks someone to pickup the blitz and a CFL safety convert?

and a QB we may never hear from again 

Sums up JD perfectly.  

I liked day 1 and day 2.

Today — I don’t love all the trades. I’m kind of OK with swapping the high 4th for a 3 next year. That MIGHT turn out ok. But after that — it took some twists and turns, but at the end of the day we essentially traded a mid 4th and a mid 6th for three low 5s. I’m ok with swapping picks — but I don’t see good value in that result. And don’t think we needed the extra picks … those picks will be taking the spots of other bottom of the roster guys who they’re probably not much better than, if at all. I suspect a couple of these guys we drafted won’t even make the team (or if they do, they probably shouldn’t).

Overall, I guess I’m ok with the draft given I like our first two picks and the short yardage back seems like he’ll have some use. I hope we use the JFM savings on a solid veteran or two. 

Day 3 of this draft was like reliving day 3 of the 2020 draft:  Underwhelming RB prospect(s) and a 24-year-old QB who will probably be out of the league with two or three years. The WR they took wasn’t even the best WR prospect available, just some guy they took because he’s a scheme fit. Yeah, that always works out. 

• Upvote 1

You can put me down as disgruntled. I grade this draft as a C minus. The first pic was an excellent one, but really aren’t first picks no-brainers anyway? I do like that we picked up two rounders for nothing superb.
Trading up to get the wide receiver was excellent.

After that, it was a total train wreck. We should’ve stayed put in the fourth and use all three pics. We should’ve gotten Pratt the best wide receiver and the running back. I do like the Allen pick a lot.

I really wanted them to grab a quarterback project, but for the love of God, they could’ve had Pratt. They could’ve had rattler and I’m not really high on this kid.

Taking the second running back was stupid and taking a cornerback was also stupid so for me I love everything until the fourth round began

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

Does it though?  I mean, if you take the opposite approach, who else should they have taken?  They realize if they don’t rethink the offense they’re toast.  So they sign a bunch of OL, draft a true LT of the future, draft a physical wr who mimics what SF has with deebo (remember that) and 2 rbs who can protect leads.  Who else plays this year?  A 5th round wr?  A guard?  

I like the Corley pick, he might contribute.   They could have taken multiple players at 11 that would have contributed more than a back up and waited till next year to take a similar prospect for the future.  2 RBs?  That whole scenario is just, dumb.  

It’s very underwhelming.  

• Upvote 3

Solid but unspectacular.

Would have been exciting for a first round trade-up for Nabers but it seemed clear everyone in the top ten was sticking and picking. I think Fashanu will be a good if not very good LT for us in the long run and in the short run I think it’s solid injury insurance for Smith.

I don’t know exactly what to make of Corley. Feels like the kind of player that could be a real difference maker in the right scheme but I have negative confidence in the Jets offensive staff. Sort of pick that might do nothing this year and then flourish in year three under a new staff, but at least it’s a potential offensive playmaker. Fingers crossed they have a plan for him.

Picking one of the RBs makes some sense — picking both seems odd. Both guys are experienced and good in pass pro, makes you think Izzy must be a dunce they don’t trust back there. Wish they were more explosive — a 235 pound back who didn’t run and an FCS guy are hard to get super excited about regardless of production.

I like the Travis pick. Doesn’t have the tools to be a really good guy but I think he’s the sort of gamer who could find a way to carve out a career. I could see him being a solid backup/stopgap post Rodgers.

The CFL CB is a nice story. Rooting for him. Seems unlikely to turn into anything.

Wasn’t a huge fan of trading down in the 4th (would have preferred to try to get TJ Tampa and/or Tez Watkins — Ravens make out like bandits again) but it’s interesting. Frankly projects some confidence from Douglas which is almost encouraging in and of itself.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, JustInFudge said:

I like the Corley pick, he might contribute.   They could have taken multiple players at 11 that would have contributed more than a back up and waited till next year to take a similar prospect for the future.  2 RBs?  That whole scenario is just, dumb.  

It’s very underwhelming.  

I think izzy is a wasted pick, and they wanted breece replacements.  You saw how when breece sat out series the rbs were so much worse.  

Well, Jets fans wanted offense. So it goes. Filled the most obvious holes. Depth at OT with our future LT (future might be sooner than later), added a dynamic receiver whose skill set is vastly different from Williams and Wilson. Lazard is here to stay (2024). Last year was a bit of an aberration from him. And do you pick receivers in the 4/5/6 rounds to replace a couple of second year guys the staff seems to be high on? RB is interesting to say the least. Outside of Hall, who showed out last year at RB? No one. Joe adds two extremely productive RBs to possibly solve that problem. My take, Izzy is safe. Patrick and Valladay should be out. Do we carry a FB again this year in Nick Bawden? Or is it possible Allen has the ability to be short yardage guy and cross trained as FB. Maybe too much to ask? Regardless, I suspect the talent behind Hall has just improved. That needed to happen. The one area Douglas did not touch is TE. I've read repeatedly they really like the group they have. Releasing CJ gives Ruckert the opening to actually compete with Conklin. Having said all that, our fortunes still gravitate around Rodgers. Tyrod is an improvement as our backup, but reality is Rodgers is the only one that can take the Jets to the promised land. Let's pray he's the same guy that won his last MVP.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think izzy is a wasted pick, and they wanted breece replacements.  You saw how when breece sat out series the rbs were so much worse.  

I think they like Izzy but fine, whatever say he stinks you still dont trade out of the 4th when that was your money round with limited picks to come away with a RB and follow it up with another RB.  Just a waste of resources.  And again, trading picks for future higher picks, is the move of a team who thinks they’re good.  

3 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

I think they like Izzy but fine, whatever say he stinks you still dont trade out of the 4th when that was your money round with limited picks to come away with a RB and follow it up with another RB.  Just a waste of resources.  And again, trading picks for future higher picks, is the move of a team who thinks they’re good.  

Funny, we entered the draft saying there were limited opportunities for a guy to contribute immediately.  It was a primary reason lots of draft pundits were pounding the table for bowers here b/c the jets TEs are middling at best, and he would have been an immediate upgrade.  The other obvious immediate contributor would have been a top 3 wr but they couldn’t trade up.  So instead they take a pure LT who may wind up playing LT or RT or both this year (Fashanu said he took reps at both tackle spots), while LT has been a turnstile since brick retired.  Then they luck out and take a wr projected to go mid 2nd round who is compared to deebo, who has a clear path to an immediate role as a slot wr.  They took a developmental qb which many here have complained they don’t do enough, so really the main complaint would be they took 2 rbs instead of 1.  Not sure who else they could have drafted who would have had an immediate contribution, besides a slot wr and backup rbs.  

• Upvote 4

37 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Does it though?  I mean, if you take the opposite approach, who else should they have taken?  They realize if they don’t rethink the offense they’re toast.  So they sign a bunch of OL, draft a true LT of the future, draft a physical wr who mimics what SF has with deebo (remember that) and 2 rbs who can protect leads.  Who else plays this year?  A 5th round wr?  A guard?  

Safety.  Lb. Guard

• Upvote 1

excited, overall

Loved taking Fashanu and Corley 

liked taking Allen and Travis 

hated taking Davis (wanted Malik Washington there)!

meh on Stiggers (but his name gives me star vibes) 

indifferent on Mr. Irrelevant

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, varjet said:

Safety.  Lb. Guard

We have the worst offense in the league and complain here year after year after year that our gms don’t emphasize offense enough.  Now we try like heck to fix the offense and now is when we should have actually been drafting safeties and linebackers.  Oh how joyful were the drafts of Jamal adams followed by Marcus maye

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Of course he will be here next year.  Douglas and Saleh will be here for a decade plus snd win us multiple championships.

Sit tight Jets fans.  A 13 win season is upon us!!!

I agree.

This team is loaded.

I’d like to sign one more veteran wide out (OBJ?) and safety. 

32 minutes ago, JustInFudge said:

It’s very underwhelming.  

I would bet money that we end up relying on Fashanu, and maybe to a lesser degree, Corley. Allen will be in the mix, as well. 

beyond that, I don’t think there were players on the board in the 5th and beyond who were likely to be major contributors next year. The Jets roster is pretty good. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I would bet money that we end up relying on Fashanu, and maybe to a lesser degree, Corley. Allen will be in the mix, as well. 

beyond that, I don’t think there were players in on the board in 5th and beyond who were likely to be major contributors next year. The Jets roster is pretty good. 

Corley seems like he’s going to contribute early esp. if williams isn’t ready.  The rbs may be rotated in to keep breece fresh.

12 minutes ago, David Harris said:

I agree.

This team is loaded.

I’d like to sign one more veteran wide out (OBJ?) and safety. 

This team is pretty loaded. Which is why I think JD should have gone quality over quantity today. We didn’t need to turn three 4s into a bottom of the round 4 and three fives today. Yes, we also picked up a (probably low) 3rd next year but lost a 6th in the whole deal. I think he could have done better today, and that a few of these guys picked will not be significant upgrades over whoever’s roster spot they take, and may not even make the final 52. Would have been better to stick and pick with what we had to start the day, or trade up for fewer, higher quality players, imo. 

• Upvote 1

I appreciate that Douglas made the forward thinking move with Fashanu and getting Breece a lighter load with Corley and Allen. I also appreciate the QB swing since I’m a fan of Travis. 

But the whole thing was underwhelming and this draft class wasn’t the best to begin with.

2 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

I appreciate that Douglas made the forward thinking move with Fashanu and getting Breece a lighter load with Corley and Allen. I also appreciate the QB swing since I’m a fan of Travis. 

But the whole thing was underwhelming and this draft class wasn’t the best to begin with.

It was underwhelming b/c we knew we weren’t in the qb derby, we were probably going OL in round 1 and wr in round 3.  So we kinda knew the positions, and the rounds, if you didn’t buy into the bowers hype.  And even if they didn’t trade around today they still wound up with some players who will likely be on the ps except for a rb.

Kickoff rules have changed, hence the RBs. OT was the smart move.

And Corley is a different type of WR that the Jets don’t have.  teams will have to bring a LB or a SS to cover him. That should empty the box for Breece.

is it a good draft, how do I know. But I understand the thought process behind some of these moves. 

• Upvote 1

Douglas did great in the first two picks getting an OT and Wide Receiver. Then after that I don't know what the heck he was doing.  OK go get the big Running back that really doesn't catch balls out of the backfield. But then you trade out and then draft another running back. Why? And if you think that your pick is the guy you want,  how do you let Travis go all the way to the end of the fifth round before taking him. That could of blew up in your face. And taking a Safety that most say was a need in the 7th round when you were able to pick the 3rd best safety in the draft and a 2nd round talent in the 4th and you don't. Well I don't get it. You Picked the CB from Canada that you can convert to a safety but who knows. So for me the first two picks and getting the QB was the draft. All this other stuff well not my cup of tea. No problem with Braelon he is a big back but he just runs really up the middle.    

• Upvote 1