How excited are you by this year‘s Jets draft?

How exciting was this year‘s Jets draft?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. How exciting was this year‘s Jets draft?

• Definitely the most exciting Jets Draft in years!
    • Very exciting
    • Meh
    • Underwhelming
    • Would have been better scheduling a colonoscopy this weekend

Not sure how many extra wins this draft class created for the 2024 season. Possibly none if Olu doesnt even play. 

It lacks an immediate star impact type player, unless Corley is somehow Deebo Jr. 

The offense is still lacking firepower. Odunze/Nabers would have solved that.

Joe needs to get a star WR in here opposite Garrett. I dont see this current offensive cast winning a superbowl.

• Upvote 2

I get the OL pick. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts 10+ games so it's not really a luxury pick. Corley will be absolutely beloved if he pans out - he looks kinda slow though. Getting a third next year is nice. The running back double down is confounding. Stiggers is a cool one and cb seems to be the one group that this regime has a good feel for. 

Can't knock the thought process for the first two picks, the rest of the haul seems to have somewhere between zero and very little chance of contributing in the short to medium term. 

• Upvote 1

We have the worst offense in the league and complain here year after year after year that our gms don’t emphasize offense enough.  Now we try like heck to fix the offense and now is when we should have actually been drafting safeties and linebackers.  Oh how joyful were the drafts of Jamal adams followed by Marcus maye
My only issue - and it's not the biggest of issues at that - is that we didn't take a late rounder WR to try to find that "diamond in the rough" that other teams hit on here and there. Puka Nacua, Amon-Ra St Brown, Tyreek Hill, that sort of guy.

Maybe Corley will turn out to be an amazing success and outperform his draft spot, but he still seems like a WR3 guy as his ceiling. We seem content with Charles and Brownlee as the next men up behind Wilson / Williams, where it wouldn't have hurt to bring in some competition IMHO.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Just now, jamesr said:

My only issue - and it's not the biggest of issues at that - is that we didn't take a late rounder WR to try to find that "diamond in the rough" that other teams hit on here and there. Puka Nacua, Amon-Ra St Brown, Tyreek Hill, that sort of guy.

Maybe Corley will turn out to be an amazing success and outperform his draft spot, but he still seems like a WR3 guy as his ceiling. We seem content with Charles and Brownlee as the next men up behind Wilson / Williams, where it wouldn't have hurt to bring in some competition IMHO.

I agree with the late round wr.  Wondering if they like the young guys they have enough and with Corley they figure they’re ok.  Also i believe wrs are easier to find than other positions, every year it seems there are UDFA wrs who flash in camp.  Plus with all the wr draft picks there will be cuts from other teams so finding a serviceable wr on waivers should be doable as well. 

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, derp said:

Feel like this was kind of a “we’re already really good” draft.

This is a really good way of putting it, and it’s all the more baffling because until ~72 hours ago, we’d had an “we absolutely have to win the Super Bowl this year and we’re nowhere near good enough to do it, so damn the torpedoes, we’re loading up for the short term” offseason

• Upvote 1

I’d grade it as a B.

I for 1 wanted weapon there at 11. Either Bowers or BTJ is who I would’ve picked.

Fashanu I like and I think he will be good. Just not that big of a fan of drafting a backup there. Because I don’t see him starting when we’re healthy. Only thing to worry about with him is his hand size. The list of OTs with hands that size don’t have a high success rate. Now he seemed to do just fine in the Big 12 for several years. So I think he’ll be just fine. Hopefully we can get a long term at solution with him after missing with Becton.

Corley I loved. Very surprised he was still there for us. Different WR than what we have. So we have a nice combination of skill sets in our WR room. He likely makes the biggest impact if this whole rookie class. Because he should start in the slot for us.

Allen pick I absolutely loved. Started a whole thread wanting him like a month ago. Loved how his style of play is different than Halls. And how young he is. He also should get some good playing time as a rookie. Short yardage and goal-line situations he should be an immediate impact in.

Travis I’m ok with. I wanted us to get a developmental guy. I really just never had a guy I loved in that mid round area. So he fits what we need. And coming off injury. He can be put on IR to where he’s not wasting a roster spot and can truly redshirt this year. Hopefully he develops in a couple years watching a HOf QB and a vet. His style is similar to Taylor.

Davis was a head scratching pick. He have a top 5 RB in Hall. Drafted Izzy last year. And had just drafted Allen. So we have 3 young RBs. So I get that a lot of teams have 4 RBs (Davis likely going on PS). To use a pick that could’ve been used on a guy that arguably could for sure make the roster. Was questionable. There was still some good talent there on the OL and WR. I would’ve liked to see us go that route with this pick.

Stiggers was an interesting pick. Has that high upside potential you like to see in this range if the draft. His story is odd. Not sure if anyone has talked about it. But he didn’t just not go to college. He stayed home bc a family member was sick. And to help out in care taking and to work. Clearly has skill. But is hard to tell when there isn’t that college film to really see what he can do. What I do know is he is going to a CB room that has a lot of smarts. And he will be given time to develop. A LOT of our secondary is in the final year of there deals. And I’m not sure if we can keep everyone. So we might have to rely on some guys in this range if the draft in the future.

Key is gonna be battling for a roster spot. No real big thoughts on him. Seems very average at everything.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Going into day 3, I was really optimistic on our draft.  But I have no idea what JD did yesterday (beyond the trade for Detroit's 3rd next year, plus the RB Allen).  Doesn't mean JD is wrong, of course (I'm far from a draft expert), but in my uninformed opinion, I didn't like day 3.

I try (not always successful though) not to be the common, disgruntled Jets fan, most of the time.

If fact, I've worn some bright, rose colored sunglasses, for a lot of years, trying to stay positive about what the Jets have been doing.

That said, there are no excuses for the complete ineptitude, that Joe Douglas & the rest of the Jets war room displayed yesterday.

I think anyone of us could have executed the Jets draft on Day 3 and done a significantly better job than JD did, just using some good old fashioned common sense.

• Upvote 1

Get used to it since the jets will be picking in the twenties for the next few drafts.  I don’t know college players that much so except for fashanu they could’ve picked more, Larry or curly.  But by position they did address some gaps and depth.  Picking a qb was a good move.  The wr also seems like a good choice.  The way Douglas kept trading back kind of says there were any really outstanding players outside of the first three rounds.

17 hours ago, David Harris said:

An eat your vegetables draft. 

Odunze would’ve been great but nothing we could do and Olu was a smart pick that will help us resign our own guys and will be a franchise cornerstone and part of the core going forward.

I like that the FO wanted Corley so bad, that text exchange is an instant classic.

We got two starter level players, and completed the AR trade, it was less exciting without the 2nd rounder.

We filled out the RB room which was a need.

Promising Developmental QB, perfect fit actually. The hope he can be a longterm #2 which saves millions of dollars instead of signing expensive backups like Tyrod.

The Canadian league guy may have ST value, if so it’s a solid late round pick.

Solid draft for JD. 

Good post, but don't sleep on the Stigger pick.  To go from not playing in college to Rookie of the year, in a league where there is more space for receivers to run...That is pretty impressive.  He could wash...he absolutely could.  But to me, this is the type of player you take with a late-round pick and try and develop.  Still young, and VERY coachable. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Creepy Lurker said:

I don’t think this helps. Top 100 players don’t count as late round picks. Those type of picks are impressive when they pan out. This list does not support that at all when considering how many horrible misses he has had with a plethora of late round picks from his “cute”/quantity over quality strategy.

Trading down EARLY and getting more top 100 players is the strategy that he never implements and would have better served this team over the last 5 years. Again, he doesn’t do anything impressive in the draft at all. His drafting is hurting more than helping this team. 

So, just to clarify:  When they pan out, he doesn't get credit.  When they don't, its all his fault.

Okay. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barton said:

Not sure how many extra wins this draft class created for the 2024 season. Possibly none if Olu doesnt even play. 

It lacks an immediate star impact type player, unless Corley is somehow Deebo Jr. 

Joe needs to get a star WR in here opposite Garrett. I dont see this current offensive cast winning a superbowl.

Offense has 2 bonafide stars (Breece/GW), 1 stud (MW), 1 solid guy (Conklin), and a guy who could be a potential stud (Corley). Few other guys who can contribute (ruckert, Lee, Lizard?)

I know the league has changed but the talent on this offense is miles ahead of what Rodgers has in his SB run. Better than what Mahomes had last year too. I can’t complain, the OL has been invested in and there’s talent everywhere you look, the team will go as far as Rodgers takes them.

Joe Douglas sure showed some stones this weekend, he’s drafted like he fully believes he’ll be here in a years time and beyond and I like that. He’s betting on himself …fair play 

I am by no means a JD Fanboi Homer and the jury remains out on his overall body of work but he knows how to manoeuvre around the draft. 

While I’m thoroughly fed up with having to continually draft OL the Fashanu pick I can get behind, class act and excellent prospect picked at a great value spot. We didn’t pass on anyone obvious although I would’ve been totally ok had we gone Bowers at 11. Good pick could be a great pick….hoping this guy is a nasty combo of Brick 2.0 and Kareem McKenzie 2.0

I Love the Malachi Corley pick and also like the running backs….you still have to be able to run the ball and we can’t leave it all up to Breecemode so spelling him makes sense. Allen had some mixed reviews from Bob McGinn’s scouts but the talent is there and he’s still so young, wasn’t even a RB until a couple of years ago so he’s still learning.

The Jordan Travis pick is easy to be glass half empty on but it always makes sense to keep going QB and hope you hit on just one of these guys, create a production line of passers is easier said than done but we have to start to develop from within and the previous approach of burning top 5 picks yielded failure so try something different. Travis gets to learn from not only an all-time great in AR but a similar QB who’s made a solid career from a similar start out. Watch and learn is what we should’ve been doing with these young QB’s all along, they come out of college raw these days as so few colleges run anything like pro systems and then they get fed to the wolves too soon, I like that we are taking a different approach this time provided he’s not Captain Morgan!!

Really hope the CFL kid works out and very excited about Malachi Corley but disappointed we didn’t double dip at WR….pray Garrett stays healthy 

And that’s it now for OL ….if we can’t put a competitive line together after all the resources JD has poured in then everyone needs to go!

12 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Good post, but don't sleep on the Stigger pick.  To go from not playing in college to Rookie of the year, in a league where there is more space for receivers to run...That is pretty impressive.  He could wash...he absolutely could.  But to me, this is the type of player you take with a late-round pick and try and develop.  Still young, and VERY coachable. 

From what I’ve been reading he is a legit prospect and not just a make a wish story. Still 22, has the meausurables, did well against the college guys when given the chance, good head on his shoulders. He has a shot.

12 minutes ago, Rich Thornburgh said:

No one can complain about the OL anymore.  I’m still a little concerned about depth at WR

We should have came out of this draft with at least 1 more quality WR prospect & 1 more O-lineman.

Drafting 2 RB's was unnecessary IMHO.

The Stiggers pick is a nice story, we'll see how it pans out.

The QB pick I expected, although I would have taken Rattler in the 4th.

• Upvote 1

It was interesting with all the deals but overall the players selected don't seem extra special. I don't see the Jets getting above a B grade on this years draft. In addition trades of players on the roster like Zach and JFM was action by JD for the draft and week. They needed more cap space and got it. 

5 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It was interesting with all the deals but overall the players selected don't seem extra special. I don't see the Jets getting above a B grade on this years draft. In addition trades of players on the roster like Zach and JFM was action by JD for the draft and week. They needed more cap space and got it. 

IMO, JD shouldn't have waited 'til the draft to free-up cap space, if that needed to be done.

Poor planning.

And a 6th round pick 2 yrs from now for JFM (a guy who was pretty productive on Defense) was not nearly adequate compensation, the Jets hosed themselves with that deal and came away from that look pretty foolish & desperate.

1 hour ago, MR.GANGGREEN28 said:

Offense has 2 bonafide stars (Breece/GW), 1 stud (MW), 1 solid guy (Conklin), and a guy who could be a potential stud (Corley). Few other guys who can contribute (ruckert, Lee, Lizard?)

I know the league has changed but the talent on this offense is miles ahead of what Rodgers has in his SB run. Better than what Mahomes had last year too. I can’t complain, the OL has been invested in and there’s talent everywhere you look, the team will go as far as Rodgers takes them.

Mike Williams at this point is nothing IMO. He's coming off a major injury. Total question mark. 

2 hours ago, Asymmetrical said:

I get the OL pick. Wouldn't be surprised if he starts 10+ games so it's not really a luxury pick. Corley will be absolutely beloved if he pans out - he looks kinda slow though. Getting a third next year is nice. The running back double down is confounding. Stiggers is a cool one and cb seems to be the one group that this regime has a good feel for. 

Can't knock the thought process for the first two picks, the rest of the haul seems to have somewhere between zero and very little chance of contributing in the short to medium term. 

Drafting at CB makes a ton of sense because at some point we may have to confront the fact we might not be able to keep all 3 of Sauce, DJ & MC2….we’ve done well with guys like Adams, Bryce Hall & Pinnock, even if he did end up being good elsewhere and hopefully JBC from last year works out at safety 

4 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

The dude looks like Paul Walker.  If football doesn't work out he can try being in movies.

He does have that look and could take a stab at the movies 

15 hours ago, Alka said:

I judge the offseason which includes the draft when grading JD and the job the Jets did this offseason.

For the free agency period, I give JD an A+

For the draft, it is very mixed for me.  The pick for Fashanu was great, the move for Corley was great where we got him, and then it was a hot mess after that IMO.

I still don't understand why we couldn't stay with the 3 picks in the 4th round, and get higher rated players instead of trading down, trading up, and trading for 2025.  Actually, I liked the trade with Detroit with getting their 3rd round pick for 2025, but I see it at a 30 pick advance for next year.  I just can't understand after getting our guy for #65, we waited 46 picks until #111, and then instead of picking someone, we trade out and wait another 15 picks, before trading that pick, and then the next pick 3 spots down, to trade down again.

My head was spinning, and I am going to not even try to make sense of it all.

However, I liked the running back we got, but didn't understand getting 2 running backs.  I liked getting the QB, and feel that was a good pick.  I am neither elated or upset with the CB we got at the end there. 

So, on the draft as a whole, I must still give the Jets a "B" grade, since they did what they must in the 1st round, and were smart with Corley in round 3.  If I was just judging the latter part of the draft, I would give the Jets a D-, but I must factor in round 1 and round 3.

At the end of the day, JD gets a A- for the offseason.  JD did too many good things for the overall grade to be less than a A-.

I understand the JFM trade, and even though I get it, I was unhappy losing him for the upcoming season.

Good post. Reflects just about exactly how I feel. As I outlined earlier in this thread, taking away the trade of our high 4th for Detroits 3rd next year (which I’m also ok with), and leaving out the low 4th we actually used to pick the big running back, we effectively swapped a mid 4th and high 6th for three very low 5ths. That isn’t good value in my opinion. And it’s not good strategy for a team that is needing more quality than quantity with our picks this year (we don’t have spots for all these rookies, imo — and if we do keep them all, they won’t all be a significant upgrade or $ savings over the bottom of the roster guy who’s spot they take).

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ARodJetsFan said:

IMO, JD shouldn't have waited 'til the draft to free-up cap space, if that needed to be done.

Poor planning.

And a 6th round pick 2 yrs from now for JFM (a guy who was pretty productive on Defense) was not nearly adequate compensation, the Jets hosed themselves with that deal and came away from that look pretty foolish & desperate.

They wanted to get rid of salaries. And  not easy to accomplish. Look at some of the deals for QBs better than ZW. 6th round picks etc. Not much. The Denver GM even said the Zach deal could have been done earlier but it was just fine points and prob gamesmanship. They considered JFM expendable no matter what they said. He did draw a lot of penalties. 

6 hours ago, Barton said:

You can’t have everything.

With the board falling as it did, Olu was the best pick.

He will get a ton of practice reps (Tyron barely practiced for Dallas with perpetual “vet days”) and is at least 90% likely to make starts this year given Tyron’s injury history.

Everything that happened after that was largely underwhelming.

Best thing I see about Travis is he takes care of the football and can do some damage with his legs.

• Sympathy 1

18 hours ago, Mogglez said:

In 2-3 years he’ll be a 26-27 year old small QB, with a weak arm.

Spencer Rattler was there in the 4th and the Jets traded out of 2 of their 3 picks to draft an unnecessary power back instead.

There was also Michael Pratt.

The Jordan Travis pick really irritated the sh*t out of me because I think once you started hitting quarterbacks in the fourth round, you do have to start exploring tools you guys for at least some semblance of upside. I don't see that at all in Jordan Travis. I think he's just another guy who maybe, on his best day, is a backup QB with a weaker arm and some  mobility.

I feel the Jets have tried the route of ‘great physical tools’ QB.  We all know them including non first round picks.  Even a guy like James Morgan who had a rocket arm but not much else.  

Maybe they are shifting to trying the route of ‘smart, winning’ QB with less emphasis on the elite physical skills. 

We’d all like the perfect combination but those tend to be unicorns.

Just food for thought.  Personally, it’s a change I don’t mind after watching some of the QBs with great arms we’ve seen come thru the door.

7 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

We should have came out of this draft with at least 1 more quality WR prospect & 1 more O-lineman.

Drafting 2 RB's was unnecessary IMHO.

The Stiggers pick is a nice story, we'll see how it pans out.

The QB pick I expected, although I would have taken Rattler in the 4th.

Agree on everything 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Gaffneycatch81 said:

we effectively swapped a mid 4th and high 6th for three very low 5ths. That isn’t good value in my opinion. And it’s not good strategy for a team that is needing more quality than quantity with our picks this year (we don’t have spots for all these rookies, imo — and if we do keep them all, they won’t all be a significant upgrade or $ savings over the bottom of the roster guy who’s spot they take).

Exactly!!!  If I didn't know better, I would say that JD got drunk or had a hangover going into day 3, and forgot what he was doing.  LOL

I mean, I never saw anything like it!  Outside of drafting awful players of Jets past, the seesaw trades definitely was making me dizzy.

I think my only question in this draft was the pick of the second RB in Davis. I know we all feel we could’ve gotten depth at other positions with that pick. However, we seem to have addressed that depth with some of our UDFA pickups (DL Taylor and Watts, EDGE from Michigan, Guard from Arkansas, a couple safeties and LBs, speedy receiver from Miami) …. So im happy overall 

• Upvote 1

Douglas has a big problem when it comes to GMing. He is stubborn about his picks and does not let go easy. He could have easily replaced Brownlee, Bernard Converse, Gipson, and others, but he has to protect his picks until there is no possible way to defend them. 

In a year you supposedly are going all in, he wasted at least two draft picks in UDFA-level guys. 

• Upvote 1

This is a big part of the problem:
  lW31qU_D_normal.jpeg   Rich Cimini   @RichCimini   The #Jets have an obscene amount of dead cap space -- $43M before the JFM trade. It'll be about $52M when JFM is added, roughly 20% of the entire cap + among the leaders in dead space. Tomlinson: $10.7M JFM: $9.1M Zach Wilson: $8.5M Source: Over the Cap
Does it all get wiped away this year ? The team can only rollover the surplus to pay for expected dead cap right ? Can one of the cap guys here tell us how long the team is ****ed by this ?

• Upvote 1