Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade

3 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

@mfmartin 

Regardless of what was or wasn't said (who really knows what the truth is) I'll reiterate what I've said before.

This trade should have never been made, without an agreed upon contract structure in place.

This is the NFL standard way of doing things, when you trade for a player that's leaving his old team because they don't want to pay him what he feels he's worth and there are plenty of examples of it out there, even this off-season.

JD & the Jets chose NOT to do that.

Why, I have no earthly idea & at this point, it's water under the bridge, what's done is done.

Did JD & the Jets mishandle this trade?

They sure did 100% - but Reddick is just as much at fault,

Reddick could have just as easily held in, been with the team (even if he wasn't practicing) while his agent & JD hammered out a deal, or some kind of restructured contract with more guaranteed money.

He would have avoided all the fines and he would have had some time, to get to know & bond with his teammates.

So the way I see it, there is plenty of blame to go around.

If Reddick is willing to hold out this long now for a contract that the Jets have been unwilling to provide, do you think that he would have agreed to a more reasonable deal at the time of the trade, when he had more leverage and there was theoretically a shorter negotiating window?

Knowing that, which option at the time of the trade seems like the best one:

1. Don't make the trade.  Go into the season with what we have or sign someone like Emmanuel Ogbah, who was arguably the best Edge available at the time.

2. Give in to Reddick's demands and make the trade with a new contract already signed - which likely means paying more than JD is willing to, just to get Reddick on the team without this angst.

3. Make the trade knowing that negotiations will have to continue afterward.  There may be some pain and bad publicity, but you will likely get Reddick's services for at least part, if not all, of the season and the worst case scenario is that you may lose a 3rd round pick 2 years from now on the gamble (which can possibly be mitigated with a comp pick or by trading his rights to another team later).  

I actually think #3 was the best choice.  Given Reddick's level of stubbornness, there was not going to be a clean way to immediately get him on the team at a reasonable price (despite him reportedly saying he would show up and work while negotiations continued) and it seems like a worthy risk to get a player of his caliber in the door for an all-in season.  JD is feeling some heat now, but if Reddick plays this year at an acceptable price, it will be worth it and it takes brass balls to close bold deals. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MykePM said:

If Reddick is willing to hold out this long now for a contract that the Jets have been unwilling to provide, do you think that he would have agreed to a more reasonable deal at the time of the trade, when he had more leverage and there was theoretically a shorter negotiating window?

1. Don't make the trade.  Go into the season with what we have or sign someone like Emmanuel Ogbah, who was arguably the best Edge available at the time.

I never said, or implied that he would;

You offered him a contract extension prior to the trade & he refused it.

So, you send ONE revised contract proposal, if he doesn't agree, then you nix the trade outright & move on.

As a result, my choice is option #1 - The hell with Reddick, you cut your losses and find a guy that actually wants to play for your team & contribute.

2 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

They didn't have time to wait

You think they didn't have time to work out a new contract prior to making the trade?

Not buying that - they had already made an offer prior to the trade & he rejected it.

So, you send ONE revised contract proposal, if he doesn't agree, then you nix the trade outright & move on.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

2. Give in to Reddick's demands and make the trade with a new contract already signed - which likely means paying more than JD is willing to, just to get Reddick on the team without this angst.
3. Make the trade knowing that negotiations will have to continue afterward.  There may be some pain and bad publicity, but you will likely get Reddick's services for at least part, if not all, of the season and the worst case scenario is that you may lose a 3rd round pick 2 years from now on the gamble (which can possibly be mitigated with a comp pick or by trading his rights to another team later).  
I actually think #3 was the best choice.  Given Reddick's level of stubbornness, there was not going to be a clean way to immediately get him on the team at a reasonable price (despite him reportedly saying he would show up and work while negotiations continued) and it seems like a worthy risk to get a player of his caliber in the door for an all-in season.  JD is feeling some heat now, but if Reddick plays this year at an acceptable price, it will be worth it and it takes brass balls to close bold deals. 

You don’t trade for him until you have a deal in place. The pick they gave up was two years away so it wasn’t like it was a pressing matter.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

Jets hold all the leverage at this point .....  if JJ or McDonald get injured, then the leverage changes 

Now a question for the smart guys here..The money that he is fined, is that deducted from  the salary cap or is his salary still counted 100% against the cap and the fine money just goes to charities?

2 minutes ago, Jetpain said:

Jets hold all the leverage at this point .....  if JJ or McDonald get injured, then the leverage changes 

Now a question for the smart guys here..The money that he is fined, is that deducted from  the salary cap or is his salary still counted 100% against the cap and the fine money just goes to charities?

Fines Still counts... But game checks are forfeited I believe and they won't... Bonuses that are forfeited won't either 

28 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

They had to get the trade done before the draft... Whether or not you think so or not doesn't matter... There was a literal time crunch and they worked in good faith that haasan would continue to negotiate before it would get to this stage... Both sides ****ed up... 

Now you have a player that is hemorrhaging money and a team that has moved on until he wants to stop losing money... 

Although people think their is pressure on the Jets... There is almost none, other than by the fans and media... Same thing happened with Chris Jones last year except Chiefs had a reason to pay Chris for what he has done for them... 

The Jets could use another pass rusher but they have 1 near all pro JJ and first rounder Will McDonald that just killed it in practice... 

This doesnt allow JJ to move inside yet until he signs but they also could get away with a fill in.. 

No it's not ideal and they are better with haasan... But don't act like the jets don't have a couple of pass rushers as they stand now... Ten times better than any they had in the last 2 decades outside of a situational pass rusher that wanted a bigger role and didn't want to resign with the jets... 

Meanwhile Haasan is the only one losing money and if the jets need to trade for another one during the year they have money to do so until he shows up. 

Not sure why everyone is so against JD on this site... It's kinda insane to me... They literally have built one of the best rosters in the NFL... And now with a legit backup QB.. 

As a long time season ticket holder... I am extremely happy with the state of the roster and have little to no holes.. 

When Haasan realizes that he has no leverage he will come back and end up playing for even less than what his contract was for because of all the fines... Jets don't have the money to give him what he wants and are perfectly willing to sit still. 

Very well stated, your username fits you well 👍. Jets are in no rush to pay this guy a ridiculous contract

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

1) Although people think their is pressure on the Jets... 

The Jets could use another pass rusher but they have 1 near all pro JJ and first rounder Will McDonald that just killed it in practice... 

2) But don't act like the jets don't have a couple of pass rushers as they stand now..

3) Not sure why everyone is so against JD on this site... It's kinda insane to me... They literally have built one of the best rosters in the NFL... And now with a legit backup QB.. 

4) When Haasan realizes that he has no leverage he will come back and end up playing for even less than what his contract was for because of all the fines... Jets don't have the money to give him what he wants and are perfectly willing to sit still. 

1) I never said anything about the Jets being under any kind of pressure, so I'm not sure where that's coming from.

I said the Jets should have never pulled the trigger on this trade without a contract agreement in place. I've also said that JD is sitting here with egg on his face right now - which is absolutely true.

2) I think the Jets are fine with the pass rushers we have - again, my contention is and has been, that the trade shouldn't have been executed, without a contract agreement/extension in place and if that couldn't happen in a timely manner, you kill the trade altogether, and move on.

3) Generally, I think JD has done a pretty good job with the team, considering the roster & salary cap situation that he inherited - but in this particular situation with Reddick, he completely screwed the pooch making the trade without an agreed upon contract in place, there is simply no other way to look at it. I'm glad you're a happy season ticket holder though, that really helps strengthen your point of view. 🙄

4) If you really believe that Reddick will wind up playing for less than the 14.25 million on his current contract, and he'll give his all & be productive, I have rights to a prosperous gold mine for sale, that you might be interested in.

At the rate things are going, if there is not some major shift in either side's stance, I would not be surprised if Reddick never plays a snap in a Jets uniform.

Le'Veon Bell says hello.

As far as your assertion that the Jets don't have the money to pay Reddick what he wants - if that were true (and that is definitely debatable) that even further illustrates, why JD & the Jets shouldn't have pulled the trigger on this trade in the first place.

Why trade for a player, that is clearly unhappy with his current contract, if you don't have the CAP space to offer him a contract with value, that's commensurate to his production?

That makes ZERO sense.

5 hours ago, MykePM said:

Does he actually get a paycheck if he holds out?

If no, the Jets have all of the leverage.  Let him hold out, and make him inactive every week.

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

No, I'm just going by what he said. He said he wants to go someplace where he can play full time (or get the chance to do so, anyway). He may as well have said what that effectively means without mincing words: "I want to get off the NY Jets." I don't know why you won't take him at his word.

You're taking what he said and are further qualifying and presuming in your own terms, without any basis, that the reason he feels that way is purely because it means he can make more that way. 

If that was the case, he'd have said he's going wherever he'll get paid the most, not wherever it is that'll give him a serious opportunity to start. Or, hey I want to get paid, and I'm not going to get paid just being off the field as much (or more than) I'm on it. 

I don't see why you think taking him at his word is less likely than adding in your reasons is somehow more likely than what he's said himself. That is why I said you're projecting, again just like those who think every QB secretly wants to be a QB2 getting paid to get a free gym membership, watch live games from free sideline game seats, and to hold a clipboard. 

My feeling that he was a strong risk to hold out is what is my opinion, though it was a very real possibility (I think likely) and anyway that's separate. At best it'd be up in the air unknown - as of a franchise tag date - if he was going to hold out, knowing he was one of 5 Jets DEs, and it's unknown how they would've handled JFM if they hadn't made other arrangements (e.g. Reddick).

Why in this world and especially when negotiating would you take anyone at their word ? I really get what your saying based on what Huff said but ..... negotiating

1 hour ago, GangGreened said:

I thought he declined a multi year extension?

The Jets offered Reddick an extension that would have increased his salary from $14.25 million this season before completing the deal that brought him to New York, The Post’s Brian Costello reported.

That doesn't necessarily equate to a "big contract".

Reddick wants a big money contract, or at least a contract that he considers commensurate to his production, which is why he's not in camp.

I'm not necessarily saying we should give it to him, but that's where we are.

4 hours ago, ARodJetsFan said:

1) I never said anything about the Jets being under any kind of pressure, so I'm not sure where that's coming from.

I said the Jets should have never pulled the trigger on this trade without a contract agreement in place. I've also said that JD is sitting here with egg on his face right now - which is absolutely true.

2) I think the Jets are fine with the pass rushers we have - again, my contention is and has been, that the trade shouldn't have been executed, without a contract agreement/extension in place and if that couldn't happen in a timely manner, you kill the trade altogether, and move on.

3) Generally, I think JD has done a pretty good job with the team, considering the roster & salary cap situation that he inherited - but in this particular situation with Reddick, he completely screwed the pooch making the trade without an agreed upon contract in place, there is simply no other way to look at it. I'm glad you're a happy season ticket holder though, that really helps strengthen your point of view. 🙄

4) If you really believe that Reddick will wind up playing for less than the 14.25 million on his current contract, and he'll give his all & be productive, I have rights to a prosperous gold mine for sale, that you might be interested in.

At the rate things are going, if there is not some major shift in either side's stance, I would not be surprised if Reddick never plays a snap in a Jets uniform.

Le'Veon Bell says hello.

As far as your assertion that the Jets don't have the money to pay Reddick what he wants - if that were true (and that is definitely debatable) that even further illustrates, why JD & the Jets shouldn't have pulled the trigger on this trade in the first place.

Why trade for a player, that is clearly unhappy with his current contract, if you don't have the CAP space to offer him a contract with value, that's commensurate to his production?

That makes ZERO sense.

Again they were in a time crunch.... You missed the whole first sentence... Yes they both ****ed up thinking that the player would negotiate in good faith... 

Beyond that I don't see your gripe... Yes it looks bad to fans and media but actually I love the hard stance and hope it continues so that the Jets are not the ones getting taken advantage of over and over like  in the past... 

Lev Bell never held out against the Jets... Jets hold all the leverage... He has to honor his contract and if he pulls a Lev bell they still hold his rights next year too... 

The only pressure on the Jets is if they have injuries and by fans and media... Which is little to none

10 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Why in this world and especially when negotiating would you take anyone at their word ? I really get what you’re saying based on what Huff said but ..... negotiating

He wasn’t negotiating. Upon getting asked point blank by a random reporter he said what playing situation he’s looking for, as that differs from the one in which he’s been.

You are a stubborn, stubborn man lol.

They had to get the trade done before the draft... Whether or not you think so or not doesn't matter... There was a literal time crunch and they worked in good faith that haasan would continue to negotiate before it would get to this stage... Both sides ****ed up... 
Now you have a player that is hemorrhaging money and a team that has moved on until he wants to stop losing money... 
Although people think their is pressure on the Jets... There is almost none, other than by the fans and media... Same thing happened with Chris Jones last year except Chiefs had a reason to pay Chris for what he has done for them... 
This doesnt allow JJ to move inside yet until he signs but they also could get away with a fill in.. 
No it's not ideal and they are better with haasan... But don't act like the jets don't have a couple of pass rushers as they stand now... Ten times better than any they had in the last 2 decades outside of a situational pass rusher that wanted a bigger role and didn't want to resign with the jets... 
Meanwhile Haasan is the only one losing money and if the jets need to trade for another one during the year they have money to do so until he shows up. 
Not sure why everyone is so against JD on this site... It's kinda insane to me... They literally have built one of the best rosters in the NFL... And now with a legit backup QB.. 
As a long time season ticket holder... I am extremely happy with the state of the roster and have little to no holes.. 
When Haasan realizes that he has no leverage he will come back and end up playing for even less than what his contract was for because of all the fines... Jets don't have the money to give him what he wants and are perfectly willing to sit still. 

There was no time crunch. The Jets did not have to do a deal before the draft. The pick they gave up is two years away.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

9 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Again they were in a time crunch.... You missed the whole first sentence... Yes they both ****ed up thinking that the player would negotiate in good faith... 

Beyond that I don't see your gripe... Yes it looks bad to fans and media but actually I love the hard stance and hope it continues so that the Jets are not the ones getting taken advantage of over and over like  in the past... 

Lev Bell never held out against the Jets... Jets hold all the leverage... He has to honor his contract and if he pulls a Lev bell they still hold his rights next year too... 

The only pressure on the Jets is if they have injuries and by fans and media... Which is little to none

I think my points (gripes as you put it) are very well-stated, it seems as if you choose not to acknowledge them.

I used Lev Bell as a reference, to illustrate that some players are willing to sacrifice a season, to get what they feel they deserve, not because he held out against the Jets - I thought that would have been blatantly obvious, to even the casual reader.

Once again you keep implying that I'm stating that there is pressure on the Jets.

Quote any of my posts, where I've stated that. Maybe the media has implied that, but I certainly have not.

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

Reddick doesn't appear to be a smart man. He's losing this badly. His agent clearly isn't giving him good advice either.

It does seem this way to me too but let's see what the end result is. I saw someone speculate that Reddick backed out on his word when we traded JFM because he gained leverage. He may be hoping preseason gives him more leverage, which is a dick move, but maybe the angle.

15 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Why in this world and especially when negotiating would you take anyone at their word ? I really get what your saying based on what Huff said but ..... negotiating

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He wasn’t negotiating. Upon getting asked point blank by a random reporter he said what playing situation he’s looking for, as that differs from the one in which he’s been.

You are a stubborn, stubborn man lol.

Hey now.  Reddick is an all-star.

On 8/9/2024 at 10:53 AM, mfmartin said:

If you think players are pro management and not pro player, you are living in fantasy land.

Also Costello wrote that Jets management won’t negotiate with a hold in

Costello's report is conflicting with prior reports. I'm not saying he's wrong, since I wouldn't know for sure, but I suspect he is. Forcing Reddick to play in games before negotiating, when he has no guaranteed salary, would be in bad faith. 

Also, while you're right that the players wouldn't favor management over a fellow player getting paid, THEY don't live in fantasy land either. They know the Jets don't have salary cap space for a huge raise right now. Nonetheless, sometimes players will campaign for their teammates to get the contract they want, but other Jets haven't yet. The optics could be worse.

22 hours ago, GangGreened said:

Why are we offering this guy a big contract in the first place when we have a slew of young guys we actually drafted coming up?

We're all in this year.  One shot at a Super Bowl.  If you can grab a high end pass rusher you do.

But you also don't need to trade picks for a guy that wants a new contract you're unwilling to give him.

21 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

We're all in this year.  One shot at a Super Bowl.  If you can grab a high end pass rusher you do.

But you also don't need to trade picks for a guy that wants a new contract you're unwilling to give him.

We have at least 2 more years but I think we get it done this year and Rodgers goes one more to see if he can get us beleaguered Jets fans back to back championships!

• Haha 1

• slats changed the title to Hassan Reddick Holding Out, Requests Trade