Fangio 😬: Doesn’t look 👀 like Bryce Huff can play all 3 downs

2 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL

Eagles just now waking up to what the Jets already knew 

"I think everybody thought he could"

That said, it sounds like he's talking about technique against the run, rather than skill, and that'll come with reps and coaching that he was just not getting here since they just wanted him as a passrusher here

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL

If Hassan Reddick can play the run - he’s much smaller player than Huff.    Huff should be able to play the run.   It’s all about technique , and getting yourself stronger, and the mindset to want to stop the run.  The Raiders Malcolm Koonce it took time for him to develop his skills to stop the run.  If Huff wants to be a full time player , he’s going to have to get better defending the run.  Simple as that .

Some players like Yannick Ngakoue all they care about rushing the passer , and care little about playing the run.     You are going to bounce around multiple teams if that’s the case.

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

That said, it sounds like he's talking about technique against the run, rather than skill, and that'll come with reps and coaching that he was just not getting here since they just wanted him as a passrusher here

You don’t think Huff took thousands of reps in practice here in early downs?

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

LOL

Good.  Now all the Huff whiners here on this board can finally calm down and hopefully stop yapping.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

One of a couple  reasons the should have just paid Bryce instead argument doesn’t hold gravy, yet to be fair he is in camp. Hello!! Mr. Reddick?

72984876-8D0B-4FC3-8D8C-56D51EC6A45D.gif

As long as he's there for the games, that's all that seriously matters.  

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

If Hassan Reddick can play the run - he’s much smaller player than Huff.    Huff should be able to play the run.   It’s all about technique , and getting yourself stronger, and the mindset to want to stop the run.  The Raiders Malcolm Koonce it took time for him to develop his skills to stop the run.  If Huff wants to be a full time player , he’s going to have to get better defending the run.  Simple as that .

Some players like Yannick Ngakoue all they care about rushing the passer , and care little about playing the run.     You are going to bounce around multiple teams if that’s the case.

Just ask Mark Gastineau. 

• Upvote 1

Nothing new here. There’s a reason why the jets didn’t use him more. Very good disruptive player on passing downs but just didn’t play the run that well.  Maybe he’ll improve.  Look at Demario Davis. He was good with the jets but got much better as he played more.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

caddyshack-chevy-chase.gif

50 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Didn't Howie Roseman not look at tape of him, or talk to him?

I don't think he did. Roseman didn't have a clue he could only play on passing downs and then went and paid him like an every down player. Awful. @Matt39

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

huff was a VERY productive player for us -10 sacks is not a number our defense has seen often this past decade -I dont care what % he played-there are LOTS of players that played way more snaps that were far less productive-I am confident if he played for the jets this year he was going to get 12-15 sacks

the beauty is there is no guessing game we will see how both players perform (if Joes guy ever shows up )

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

I don't think he did. Roseman didn't have a clue he could only play on passing downs and then went and paid him like an every down player. Awful. @Matt39

Roseman gave Hurts one of the worst contracts in league history, so it’s possible too. 

13 minutes ago, OilfieldJet said:

At  least Huff is in camp.

Fair enough, but it was also pretty clear, based on numerous interviews with Huff, that he didn't want to stay here.

The player has to want to be here.

There are a few things about Huff that I didn't particularly care for that I won't get into because it's water under the bridge now.

That said from everything I read about him, it was obvious to me, that Huff didn't want to remain with the only team, that gave him his opportunity as an UDFA, to play in the NFL.

That's gratitude for you.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

Yes.  That was an indictment on the Jet coaching staff and not the player. 

• En Fuego 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, kmnj said:

huff was a VERY productive player for us -10 sacks is not a number our defense has seen often this past decade -I dont care what % he played-there are LOTS of players that played way more snaps that were far less productive-I am confident if he played for the jets this year he was going to get 12-15 sacks

the beauty is there is no guessing game we will see how both players perform (if Joes guy ever shows up )

How would you rate his 7.5 sack total for the prior 3 years? VERY productive?

If the Eagles realize he is what he is...a passing down only player, I could see him getting 8 or so sacks this year. If they play him every down, I'd say that number drops to around 5. 

• Upvote 1

We are experiencing how teams with talented rosters continue to build. It is new to us so we get agitated when we see it. I like Huff but there are other talented players who fill a similar role already here,  JD is in a position to move players for others who are either younger, more appealing from a salary perspective or simply have a larger ceiling.

Five years ago with the shape of the roster, Huff would have been signed to a large contract regardless of any shortcomings his game might have. That is not necessary anymore at least with the roster and depth they have built.

I remember the PATS letting Richard Seymour go and the world was coming to an end and the genius Belichek was a fool. I think they did ok without him

• Upvote 1

We're 2 days into camp and some folks are already taking victory laps about Huff?  When our guy is a holdout?  Lol, this site some days.

In 4 years with the NYJ, Huff was only playing ~35% of the snaps.  His wanting to have a larger role, given his solid enough production, was natural.  I think it's safe to project he'll get more snaps with the Eagles than he would have with us.  Will it be 75%?  Probably not, but I doubt it'll be 20% (like it was here in 2022) either.

• Upvote 1
  • En Fuego 1

31 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

How would you rate his 7.5 sack total for the prior 3 years? VERY productive?

If the Eagles realize he is what he is...a passing down only player, I could see him getting 8 or so sacks this year. If they play him every down, I'd say that number drops to around 5. 

he was a guy just learning the pro game-I would argue he will continue to get better and can be a disruptive force-I was sad to see him go -who do you trust more the eagles or the jets? the eagles got rid of riddick for huff-I sadly feel the eagles know better vs the jets especially  considering their roster is way better than ours ....

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

No reason to pay a guy for only 1-2 downs, when you can trade for another to play 0.

Jets are one step ahead yet again!

and give up a third for him...

folks say it was only a third but then sing joes praises if he picks up a 4th or a 6th round pick in a deal.....

This is not surprising at all. Huff is a solid pass rusher but this isn’t Micah Parsons firing off the edge… more along the lines of Yannick Ngakoue. An effective rotational pass rusher who will play for a few different teams throughout his career. A really great career for an UDFA