Lewis Cine Backs out of Deal With Jets, now Headed to Bills

Rich Cimini @RichCimini

Cine fractured his leg in '22 and played only 10 defensive snaps in 22-23, but he was active this preseason -- a team-high 150 snaps on defense, 13 tackles, 1 sack. The expectation is that he will be elevated once he learns the playbook. #Jets

• Upvote 1

Wow, I had been calling for a safety upgrade but this move blindsided me. I was expecting a vet deal.

I love it, though. I was very high on this guy back in his own draft cycle and feel a little surprised he got cut. Definitely a good, low risk high reward pickup. He fits the Jets system extremely well and could become the full time box-type safety if Clark goes down or leaves after the year. Wow!

• Upvote 2

I mentioned yesterday in another thread that the Jets have created a true program of player development on defense and special teams. Cine landed in the right place. Let's hope he can be another success story for JD & Saleh

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, JiFtheOracle said:

Wow, I dont think I realized how monster of a bust he was for the Vikings.  Yikes.

That was my first reaction too. Literally don't remember hearing his name since he was drafted which obviously isn't a good sign but to get outright cut after two years is crazy.

Guessing he was just overrated on the strength of that UGA 2021 defense. My buddy who is an Eagles fan was basically claiming Jalen Carter made them all look good and was trashing Nolan Smith which feels like an exaggeration but it's interesting. Travon Walker certainly hasn't set the world on fire.

• Upvote 1