In Defense Of Robert Saleh

4 hours ago, FootballLove said:

We all saw what we saw. 

But....

It's sad that our big match-up with the NFC powerhouse happened opening day. Our starters hadn't taken a single snap in any of the 3 pre-season games. Not one snap. Then, on opening day, we get the 9ers, at an away game.

I would rather have faced the 9ers after 5 or 6 regular season games. Not only for the players, but for the coaches who have to figure out exactly what our team offers, both on offense and defense. 

If this game occurred mid October at Jet-Life Stadium, I sincerely believe the outcome would have been much, much closer.

That being said, our Run Defense has been average for 3 years now, while our pass defense gave up fewer yards than any other team. #1 Pass Defense. BUT, how much of that was due to Sauce/MC2/Reed/Saleh, and how much was due to teams we were playing having the lead in most of our games, and reverting to their run game to close out those games? Most teams didn't pass a whole lot after 1/2 time. Let's be honest.

Saleh is a Defensive HC. He KNOWS out D is weak against the run. He's known that for 3 years now, going into our 4th season. IF Saleh has not been able to put a 9-ers style defense, starting with the front 4, after 4 years, then maybe, just maybe, Saleh needs to go.

If having a D-Coach doesn't give us a top Defense, then what's the point? Let's see how the season plays out, but if our D doesn't end up near the top, maybe it's time to try an Offense HC (not named Gase).

I disagree. I’d rather get clobbered by a clearly superior team week 1 than to drop a game against an inferior one because Saleh’s teams need a warm-up month to play competitive football. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Hackett in a post game interview in week 13 after Corley catches 6 balls and a TD

"Well you know, I never knew he could be a wide receiver before today! I'll make sure to use him again in the future."

Corley can’t play 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Prodigal Syndicate said:

Hackett in a post game interview in week 13 after Corley catches 6 balls and a TD

"Well you know, I never knew he could be a wide receiver before today! I'll make sure to use him again in the future."

How about not using Braelon Allen on the 3rd and 1.  What was the point of drafting him if not for situations like that?  And even if putting Allen in there would make the play call obvious, don't we see the Eagles succeed with the Tush Push on a regular basis?  (Though I know that Jason Kelce is now retired so maybe things will change).

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, jgb said:

Jets fans as a group are among the greatest contrarian indicators on earth. Been begging Max for years to start a stock picking forum so I can short whatever gets the most upvotes.

There is a financial discussion somewhere in the lounge. 

12 hours ago, FootballLove said:

If having a D-Coach doesn't give us a top Defense, then what's the point? Let's see how the season plays out, but if our D doesn't end up near the top, maybe it's time to try an Offense HC (not named Gase).

I really wish I could find the article I read a couple years ago about bad teams that have great defenses. It made a few points that I think made sense.

One of the points was that if a team is going to struggle to put up 20 points then the opponent makes more conservative decisions. It also looked at a trend of when the offense improved.. the defenses took a step back.

I expected the defense would have a more difficult time this season as the offense was expected to be, at least, functional.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

I really wish I could find the article I read a couple years ago about bad teams that have great defenses. It made a few points that I think made sense.

One of the points was that if a team is going to struggle to put up 20 points then the opponent makes more conservative decisions. It also looked at a trend of when the offense improved.. the defenses took a step back.

I expected the defense would have a more difficult time this season as the offense was expected to be, at least, functional.

They ran the ball right down our throats.  How much more conservative could they have played?!

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

This is my favorite part.

Jets Fans two days ago: “We have the best roster in the NFL!”

Jets Fans today: “Well uh even without Christian McCaffrey the Niners are a Super Bowl team and uh er uh”

I'm loving this too. Months of "we're a Super Bowl team!" and suddenly it's "come on guys, it's not fair to expect the Jets to compete with a Super Bowl team!" I guess we spent all that money and all those picks to beat up on the Titans? 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1