New Regime. What does Ulbrich do?

2 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

It's a half ass solution. Hackett AND Carter should also be fired. We expect different results, but we AGAIN have a rookie defensive coordinator as a head coach. 

This is a 2/3 ass solution. Hackett, Carter need to go, and if Rodgers doesn't like it, he can see himself out as well

• Upvote 2

It's a wake up call for everybody fr.

Everyone knows about Saleh's dithering and blathering but his defenses were legit. When you fire the head coach it's a shot across everyone's bow from Rodgers to the Deputy Assistant Coaches.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Ecuadorian Jet said:

It's a half ass solution. Hackett AND Carter should also be fired. We expect different results, but we AGAIN have a rookie defensive coordinator as a head coach. 

Ulbrich will still be overseeing the defense, regardless of who the interim DC is.

Carter needs to go (we can hope) but we're probably stuck with Hackett for the rest of the season.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Ulbrich was promoted cause Rodgers was sick and tired of saleh in the offensive meetings and giving his thoughts.

Ulbrich will be nowhere near these offensive meeting and rodgers/hackett will  truly be inmmates running the asylum.

Saleh was fired because woody was believing his own press clippings that this roster was the best in the NFL and they just needed Aaron Rodgers.

Truth:

Jets suck at WR

Jets suck at TE

Breece lost a step (torn ACL probably caught up to him)

Defense lost Huff and JFM in the offseason and Reddick is AWOL

Oh yeah and the QB is 41 coming off the worst injury of his career

And I’m getting labeled a Saleh apologist but it’s not his fault we are missing the playoffs and he had Zach frickin Wilson the worst QB since Hackenberg starting for him 3 straight years the fact that he didn’t go 0-53 during that span is an accomplishment

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

First and foremost he needs to fire Keith Carter.

Then name a DC. He can't afford to have the teams top unit have a drop off in play.

Finally, he needs to address the problems on O because he now has the job of HC because Saleh could not fix the problems on O. But, how does he do that, is he allowed to fire Hackett or demote Hackett (perhaps in duties but not in title?)

Where are you getting these replacement coaches? The Jets came into the season light on coaching, particularly on offense where they tried to upgrade Hackett and missed along with losing a couple coaches to better opportunities. There are no available coaches unless you’re scouring the USFL. 

All this firing did was thin out the staff further, and weaken the team’s strongest unit. I get that people love the idea of firing people, but firing people doesn’t solve anything. That takes replacing them with someone better. And by firing their HC after five games on a team playing for a share of first place in their division this week, they haven’t quite improved their brand to a place where a coach might want to go to put his career on an upward trajectory. 

• Upvote 1

No one else is getting fired, you can't fire some of these guys mid season, i'd argue it is harder to fire a coordinator mid season than a head coach

Ulbrich is not a new regime he is purely interim and unless the team makes the playoffs he is gone next year as well.

4 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

They gave up 16 points.  What else do you want. 

and 3 was on a short field. 

What else do I want? how about not putting safeties on the top opposing WRs? Listen he is the wannabe HC now until the end of the year, so whatever, Saleh needed to be fired last year and the year before. What I am trying to say is that Ulbrich as a Saleh protege is infected by the same bonehead decisions that Saleh used to make. 

2 hours ago, Claymation said:

As the HC, Saleh was ultimately responsible for the offense. He said the cadence was the problem with the false starts. Then back peddled. 

He never said the cadence was the problem. Go back to listen to his answer.

26 minutes ago, slats said:

Where are you getting these replacement coaches? The Jets came into the season light on coaching, particularly on offense where they tried to upgrade Hackett and missed along with losing a couple coaches to better opportunities. There are no available coaches unless you’re scouring the USFL. 

All this firing did was thin out the staff further, and weaken the team’s strongest unit. I get that people love the idea of firing people, but firing people doesn’t solve anything. That takes replacing them with someone better. And by firing their HC after five games on a team playing for a share of first place in their division this week, they haven’t quite improved their brand to a place where a coach might want to go to put his career on an upward trajectory. 

Frank Reich

• Upvote 1

I really believe Ulrich could be a good HC.  My biggest concern is he allowed Woody to make him the temporary HC without getting a longer term commitment.  He's put himself in a terrible position to get washed out in the Aaron Rodgers dissaster tour.  If Woody can walk over him like this the team knows he has no real authority.

28 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No one else is getting fired, you can't fire some of these guys mid season, i'd argue it is harder to fire a coordinator mid season than a head coach

Ulbrich is not a new regime he is purely interim and unless the team makes the playoffs he is gone next year as well.

According to the guy that fired Saleh  "Those changes we have to make on offense we're going to make on offense."  Sounds like Ulbrich has Woody's blessing.

56 minutes ago, Claymation said:

Mr. Potato Head, Woody is trying to salvage the season, not blow it up by removing Rodgers.

Aaron is more than welcome to play it out for his Farewell Tour under a new offensive coaching staff that doesn't include his boy. If not, Tyrod is the guy.

18 minutes ago, Biggs said:

I really believe Ulrich could be a good HC.  My biggest concern is he allowed Woody to make him the temporary HC without getting a longer term commitment.  He's put himself in a terrible position to get washed out in the Aaron Rodgers dissaster tour.  If Woody can walk over him like this the team knows he has no real authority.

My guess is someone tapped Woody and said Ulbrich could be his Dan Campbell  (perhaps Tannenbaum, who hired Campbell as interim in Miami)

3 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Does your boy Ulbrich not have a backbone?

There are career opportunities on the line here, including an opportunity for the ‘best young DC in the league’.

Changes will be made.

If he had a backbone he would have asked for an extension or turned the job down flat.

3 hours ago, WeCantDraftGoodQBs said:

I just wrote this in another thread but it goes better with this thread.

I hope Ulbirch decides to start Allen over Hall for Buffalo. Ulbirch could use Hall for play-action & short passes where he has been more effective than running the ball right up the middle (like we usually have him do). Hall is currently averaging 3.0 yds per carry compared to Allen's 4.5 yds. Hall is also ranked 34 in rushing . . . and there are only 32 teams!

I think this is the better way to use them in general... Saleh didn't want to hurt Hall's feelings, but I think he'd do better coming in after the defense gets beat up a bit

I wonder if Ulbrich maybe promotes a guy like Aaron Whitecotton to DC and takes an active role as playcaller and works more closely with Hackett & Rodgers. Will be interesting to see if this team just needs a different type of leadership or if the issues are more technical and operational 

10 minutes ago, Biggs said:

If he had a backbone he would have asked for an extension or turned the job down flat.

If I’m him,

1. He’s replacing an idiot … meaning the bar is low

2. The Jets have talent and a not so difficult schedule

3. AFC East is there for the taking.  NE is in major rebuild, Miami has a QB crisis, and the Bills are a shell of what they were

4. He makes the playoffs and a very very lucrative extension awaits

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

First and foremost he needs to fire Keith Carter.

Then name a DC. He can't afford to have the teams top unit have a drop off in play.

Finally, he needs to address the problems on O because he now has the job of HC because Saleh could not fix the problems on O. But, how does he do that, is he allowed to fire Hackett or demote Hackett (perhaps in duties but not in title?)

If it were that easy to just fire carter and things would improve.  If Ulbrich has the chops he’ll make sure carter is doing his job and hold him accountable.  Same thing with Hackett.  I firmly believe the head coach needs knowledge of every aspect of the team and game.  I hope Ulbrich gets involved in the offensive game plan and knows how to attack the defenses they face.  To e it’s pretty simple.  If you’re a defensive coach you should knows what your vulnerabilities are and how to counter them.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

If I’m him,

1. He’s replacing an idiot … meaning the bar is low

2. AFC East is there for the taking.  NE is in major rebuild, Miami has a QB crisis, and the Bills are a shell of what they were

3. He makes the playoffs and a very very lucrative extension awaits

You don't think he knows that Rodgers is washed and Hackett is unable to create an NFL O that any competent DC can defend?

Just now, i remember shea said:

Or, just possibly, he’s one of those guys that’s not afraid to bet on himself if presented with the opportunity?

It's not a bet on yourself.  It's a bet on Woody Johnson, JD and Aaron Rodgers.  This is a team sport and the Jets are constructed to fail as a team. 

Being an NFL HC takes a lot of planning and contigencies which are put in place during the offseason.  This is a lottery ticket bet not a bet on yourself. 

everyone all over Rodgers  when .....

We all knew Saleh Sucked long before he got here

We all knew Rodgers would have a big say in the offense and honestly why the **** not ??

We all knew Tom Brady was running the offense in Tampa but hey they protected him and played well so no harm no foul ...Right ??

Ulbrick will probably have meetings with Hackett and Rodgers and maybe Carter and figure out how to get this sh*t going. We as fans have no clue how much Saleh might have distanced himself from the offense or the game plans in general. Maybe the Rodgers thing intimidated him and as a HC you need to be in control and not be intimidated. 

Without knowing all the logisitics its really hard to know why this wound up the way it did but the easy way out as always is just to Blame Rodgers and that to me is lazy and stupid. The best thing that can happen here is Ulbrich exertes his athority, takes control of the situation and comes up with a plan with all involved to make this sh*t work then maybe all the bullsh*t rumors and crying will stop.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Biggs said:

It's not a bet on yourself.  It's a bet on Woody Johnson, JD and Aaron Rodgers.  This is a team sport and the Jets are constructed to fail as a team. 

Being an NFL HC takes a lot of planning and contigencies which are put in place during the offseason.  This is a lottery ticket bet not a bet on yourself. 

If he positively 100% believes he cannot succeed here, do you think he could have declined the offer and then looked for a HC job after the season? Thoughts?