What Has To Happen For The Jets To Win The Super Bowl

Maxman

this season?

I say Chad has to stay healthy. The defensive line improves and the offensive line sees DBrick and Mangold take huge steps forward.

Oh and the Pats have to implode. Otherwise it is smooth sailing! :Nuts:

If we get big contributions from our new draft picks, and our defense really steps it up, we have a good chance. Our offense is not great, but it's good enough. The Jets are back for a second year under the same system and coaches, they should only get better.

If we get big contributions from our new draft picks, and our defense really steps it up, we have a good chance. Our offense is not great, but it's good enough. The Jets are back for a second year under the same system and coaches, they should only get better.

Ummm our offense is great considering everyone stays healthy. Seriously, teams had trouble stopping us last year and we had NO running game. What team do you honestly think can defend against Coles Cotch and TJones all at the same time? Not many, if any. If we can get an avg/above avg contribution from the D this year, we can go deep into the playoffs.

Ummm our offense is great considering everyone stays healthy. Seriously, teams had trouble stopping us last year and we had NO running game. What team do you honestly think can defend against Coles Cotch and TJones all at the same time? Not many, if any. If we can get an avg/above avg contribution from the D this year, we can go deep into the playoffs.

Hey I love your optimism, but I think we'd have to have someone like Carson Palmer under center to really be considered an elite offense. But like I said, our offense is good and solid, and if the D plays well, we can make a serious run into the playoffs. I still gotta see how big an impact TJones will make.

Hey I love your optimism, but I think we'd have to have someone like Carson Palmer under center to really be considered an elite offense. But like I said, our offense is good and solid, and if the D plays well, we can make a serious run into the playoffs. I still gotta see how big an impact TJones will make.

I don't know, having 2 top 25 wr's, a top 10-15 RB and a top 15-20 QB is a pretty damn hard combination to stop.

The only thing keeping us out of the SuperBowl conversation is the '07 season. I think we're one year away. The '08 season will see a deflated Pats team (they can't afford to keep all of those players with the way contract-demands continue to increase), and SD will be riding without Turner's assistance. I think Broncos, and Jets are the teams to beat in '08.

I think ghost is right. This team is probably still a year away.

There are still pieces of the puzzle missing on both sides of the ball.

For the Jets to get to the Super Bowl this year, Hell is going to have to freeze over and since it last froze over in 2004 I don't think it happens again so quickly.

Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Carson Palmer, Jay Cutler and Ladanian Tomlinson all go on IR week 1.

Hey, we have a chance.

I agree with that.

But you also better throw in Stroud, Henderson, Seymour, Thomas, Harrison, Wayne, and the Ravens entire defense.

The Pats have already imploded... they tried to break the bank on a bunch of big name FA's... that never works...

Jets will win it all this season... bank on it! :beer:

....are you numb? Show me where the Patriots broke the bank and show me how they can get around that pesky salary cap thing.....are you numb?

This season?

Wow. Well where do I begin?

Thomas Jones and Leon Washington need to form into one of the best, if not the best, 1-2 punch in the NFL and the Offensive Line needs to protect Pennington even better then they did last season.

Laveruanes Coles and Jerricho Cotchery must carrying the Wide Receiving core again and hope that either Justin McCareins, Tim Dwight, Brad Smith or Chansi Stuckey can emerge as a reliable #3 option if either is to go down or if a defense just has 2 very, very good corners that are limiting the balls thrown Coles & Cotchery's way.

The defense needs to step up big time and find themselves at the very least as a Top 10 defense, more likely needed however is a Top 5 defense.

Chad must stop with the stupid turnovers against good opponents and cannot rely on lucky heaves that are brought down by Cotchery in the corner of the endzone on a rainy, sloppy New England field.

Oh, and it wouldn't hurt if New England somehow found a way to win only 10-12 games, or if Randy Moss really does turn out to be this "cancer" that some Jets fans on this board believe he will be for the Patriots.

Well, with a sophisticated offensive scheme and some great weapons, I don't know that you need a Carson Palmer to go the distance, look at Ben his rookie year. OF course, you do say elite offense, and of course when you say elite offense you think Indy. But what would you consider the Chargers? And do you think that Rivers is in the class of Brady/Manning/Palmer???

This season?

Wow. Well where do I begin?

Thomas Jones and Leon Washington need to form into one of the best, if not the best, 1-2 punch in the NFL and the Offensive Line needs to protect Pennington even better then they did last season.

Laveruanes Coles and Jerricho Cotchery must carrying the Wide Receiving core again and hope that either Justin McCareins, Tim Dwight, Brad Smith or Chansi Stuckey can emerge as a reliable #3 option if either is to go down or if a defense just has 2 very, very good corners that are limiting the balls thrown Coles & Cotchery's way.

The defense needs to step up big time and find themselves at the very least as a Top 10 defense, more likely needed however is a Top 5 defense.

Chad must stop with the stupid turnovers against good opponents and cannot rely on lucky heaves that are brought down by Cotchery in the corner of the endzone on a rainy, sloppy New England field.

Oh, and it wouldn't hurt if New England somehow found a way to win only 10-12 games, or if Randy Moss really does turn out to be this "cancer" that some Jets fans on this board believe he will be for the Patriots.

You said it babe. ;)

this season?

I say Chad has to stay healthy. The defensive line improves and the offensive line sees DBrick and Mangold take huge steps forward.

Oh and the Pats have to implode. Otherwise it is smooth sailing! :Nuts:

agree,, Pats have to have chemistry problems,, cause they sure dont have talent problems

A few scenarios...

1) Chad + Defense: In this scenario Chad has a solid season, putting up good numbers, limiting mistakes. Thomas Jones runs like a wild man and the defense becomes above average. (EX: The Pats)

2) Defense: The Jets defense turns into a powerhouse and it doesn't matter who is behind the wheel throwing the ball, they keep you in the game. (EX: The Bears).

3) Rookie Rampage: Chad gets hurt in pre-season and Kellen takes over, is a stud. The defense and special teams are great as well as the running game. (Ex: Steelers).

I still say we go 10-6 and make the playoffs and everything is up in the air at that point.

BZ

The Jets are not ready to play in the superbowl this year. Maybe they will be soon, but not this year. The Jets are still rebuilding, we only have one year under our belt in the 3-4 defense and we do not have a ligitimate pass rusher and our run defense must improve. I think the offense is a head of the defense in that regard but we lack a real burner to stretch the field and our run blocking must improve. Chad is most sucessful in play action. In short, we are headed in the right direction, we need a couple of more pieces, but we are not there yet.

GREAT THREAD MAX!

Honestly, I am of the old school mold in feeling that you win a championship based on D first. Of course, your offense must have decent production as well.

With this mentality, I still think the Jets are a year away; however, the AFC Championship is not out of reach this year if the stars are aligned properly. Defensive units need time to (I can't believe I am going to say this) gel. For this to occur with the Jets, I feel like:

A. Vilma needs another year in the 3-4 with Harris at his side.

B. Revis needs at least a year to adjust to NFL speed.

C. The Jets need to add NT depth.

D. Kenyon Colemen and Bowens must prove their worth at DE and OLB, respectively.

This offense (also in a years time) should be able to produce significantly better numbers and points than any previous Jet Offense in almost ten years! OL depth and perhaps a stud TE are the only missing pieces.

Having said all this, the NFL is funny sometimes, and when the playoffs roll around, you just never know what the injury situation will be and so on; so it is not unfathomable to think that at the end of the season, the Jets could be World Champs for the 2nd time in history! (Half-way to catching the Spurs!)

Dude, if Jake Plummer can QB them in an AFC championship game, I think Cutler can manage his way there even in his 2nd season. They had some huge offseason pickups.

Denver always has huge offseason pickups and constanlty underachieves. They're the Skins of the AFC just a better team.

I like Cutler and all, but I dont think he's at the point where a lot of people on this board think he's at just yet.

Denver always has huge offseason pickups and constanlty underachieves. They're the Skins of the AFC just a better team.

I like Cutler and all, but I dont think he's at the point where a lot of people on this board think he's at just yet.

With the supporting cast that Cutler has, including a good Offensive Line and great Defense, there is no reason for Denver not to win 10+ games in '07.

Javon Walker, Rod Smith, Brandon Stokley, Brandon Marshall, Travis Henry, Tony Scheffler & Daniel Graham isn't a bad bunch of weapons to get the ball too I'd say.

Well, with a sophisticated offensive scheme and some great weapons, I don't know that you need a Carson Palmer to go the distance, look at Ben his rookie year. OF course, you do say elite offense, and of course when you say elite offense you think Indy. But what would you consider the Chargers? And do you think that Rivers is in the class of Brady/Manning/Palmer???

Rivers has an unbelievable RB in his backfield, I don't TJones is anywhere near that. But I think alot will depend on how well Jones plays, and if our O-line opens up some holes.

At any rate, Whenever you see mediocre QBs (like Ben) win the SB, they usually have an outstanding defense. That was my original point. I'm not saying the Jets don't have a good offense, and I'm not saying they can't win the SB with their current offense, but I don't think their offense is good enough to carry the team on its own. That's what I meant they're not elite: you can't rely on them to outscore opponents at will, and win shoot-out type games. They need the D to play great to make it to the SB.

Archived