Jets\Pats -- Belly Cheated: MERGED

Jet Moses

Is this like one of those "Why did the chicken cross the road?" things? :bag:

No, I just saw the irony in the photo with all of the cameras behind BB as he talked to Manigini...I guess the pic didn't post...my bad

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pats have been busted for taping signals - I assume to help them decipher game plans for future games. After the league sent every team this summer a mandate telling every team to cease doing such thing s- emphasising that it is against the rules, the Patriots chose to ignore them. What this tells me is that Bill Belichick is the most arrogant man on Earth. The Patriots deserve to lose drafts picks, much like the 49'ers deserved their punishment when they cheated with the cap. I in no way think that is the reason they beat the Jets....and that is what bothers me the most. When arrogance because stupidity. I have no doubt that the Pats aren't the only ones doing this and I have no doubt that they had a big target on their backs because they are the Pats. I have no doubt that Mangini did this to phuck with BB and I have no doubt that the Pats will lose a 4th and/or 5th draft pick. It's cheating. It's wrong. They got caught. BB BB should apologize to the Patriost fanbase (as well as the Jets).

I still love my team though. ;)

The Pats have been busted for taping signals - I assume to help them decipher game plans for future games. After the league sent every team this summer a mandate telling every team to cease doing such thing s- emphasising that it is against the rules, the Patriots chose to ignore them. What this tells me is that Bill Belichick is the most arrogant man on Earth. The Patriots deserve to lose drafts picks, much like the 49'ers deserved their punishment when they cheated with the cap. I in no way think that is the reason they beat the Jets....and that is what bothers me the most. When arrogance because stupidity. I have no doubt that the Pats aren't the only ones doing this and I have no doubt that they had a big target on their backs because they are the Pats. I have no doubt that Mangini did this to phuck with BB and I have no doubt that the Pats will lose a 4th and/or 5th draft pick. It's cheating. It's wrong. They got caught. BB BB should apologize to the Patriost fanbase (as well as the Jets).

Gee Garb...you really think Goodell is that harsh? A whole entire 4th or 5th rd. pick? Personally I think he'll strip away one of their 7th rd compensatory picks in the near future.

You're delusional.

The spy was nabbed ny NFL security, not the Jets.

i can see you now when you are in front of the judge for speeding/tax evasion/ whatever.

"But judge, I'm not the only one who did it!"

Cheaters!

That franchise is scum.

Gee Garb...you really think Goodell is that harsh? A whole entire 4th or 5th rd. pick? Personally I think he'll strip away one of their 7th rd compensatory picks in the near future.

Honestly. A 4th or 5th round pick?! lol. That wouldn't be severe enough to discourage the Patriots or other teams from doing the same thing.

Honestly. A 4th or 5th round pick?! lol. That wouldn't be severe enough to discourage the Patriots or other teams from doing the same thing.

Why am I not surprised that a delusional bahston fan would want no more than a slap on the wrist for this?

You're delusional.

The spy was nabbed ny NFL security, not the Jets.

i can see you now when you are in front of the judge for speeding/tax evasion/ whatever.

"But judge, I'm not the only one who did it!"

Cheaters!

That franchise is scum.

Not completely true. As reported by the AP, the Jets chief of security notified NFL security during the game. I'm pretty sure the Jets "chief of security" is that greasy haired ex-spook/g-man that used to follow Parcells around.

By Associated Press

Tue Sep 11, 3:25 AMUPDATED 6 HOURS 6 MINUTES AGO</H4>NEW YORK - The NFL is looking into claims a New England Patriots employee was videotaping signals by Jets coaches on New York's sideline during the season opener.

The investigation was first reported by ESPN.com, which said that NFL security confiscated a video camera and tape from a Patriots employee during New England's 38-14 victory Sunday. The employee was accused of aiming his camera at the Jets' defensive coaches, who were sending signals out to the players, sources told the Web site.

"The rule is that no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game," the league said in a statement from spokesman Greg Aiello. "Clubs have specifically been reminded in the past that the videotaping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals on the sidelines is prohibited.

"We are looking into whether the Patriots violated this rule."

The story was first reported on the Web site of Jets Confidential, which said the Jets chief of security alerted NFL security about the issue during the game.

"With anything along those lines, those are all league-related matters, and anything that deals with an issue like this or anything on a team-by-team basis, those all go to the league," coach Eric Mangini said in his news conference Monday.

When asked if the Jets had in fact notified the league, he said: "It's all a league matter."

Patriots spokesman Stacey James declined comment. (of course he did - he represents cheaters.) New England cornerback Ellis Hobbs said he was unaware of the controversy, and unwilling to believe his team had cheated.

"We put too many hours in as individuals and a team to have to go out and cheat," he said. "If it's true, obviously, we're in the wrong. But I'm standing behind my team, my coaches. I don't think we do that stuff."

Last November, the Green Bay Packers had an issue with a man wearing a Patriots staff credential and carrying a video camera on the sidelines at Lambeau Field.

Teams are allowed to have a limited number of their own videographers on the sideline during the game, but they must have a credential that authorizes them to shoot video, and wear a yellow vest. But Packers spokesman Jeff Blumb said the person in question didn't have the right credential and wasn't wearing a yellow vest, so Packers security asked him to put away the camera.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I'm going insane? madmike has claimed that this incident is MUCH worse than dog killing, DUI's and not paying child support for 9 children in the realm of the NFL.

I have admitted repeatedly tonight that the Pats were wrong in what they did. But some of you are saying is that this is worse than killing, etc.

Its football for fark sakes!

It's apples and mangoes. They are totally different.

The Pats violated an NFL edict after they were caught doing the same thing in Green Bay. And then went and did it anyway. Goodell must've thought it was important to send such s memo. And the Estrella guy going batsheet when he was caught seems consistent with someone knoing he's in deep.

IT'S CHEATING,which damages the intergrity of the game. Goodell doen't want this to become the NBA. Beillicick also has to be the msot arrogant man on earth to do it against the Jets if Mangini knew susch things were going on when he worked there.

New details came to light yesterday. The cameraman, wearing a team polo shirt under the league-mandated sideline photographer's vest, was stopped by security as he tried to enter the New England locker room before halftime, sources said. An animated discussion ensued, involving league security, Jets security and Patriots security.

The dispute, which occurred in the bowels of the stadium, lasted more than an hour, virtually the entire second half. At one point, it became so heated that New Jersey state troopers were summoned as a precaution, a source said. The Jets apparently were trying to confiscate the videotape, which wound up in the possession of NFL security. The tape was placed in a box, sealed and forwarded to the league.

So this all happened over half time...

Unfortunately this means the pats probably didn't use their knowledge of our signals in this game,meaning it was still an ass kicking.

This sure is an inept "spy ring". They use the same guy for two years, even though he's already been caught? He wears a team polo under the photographers vest? WTF? The fact that they caught the guy at halftime should tell you that this didn't have any outcome on the game. How'd we do in the third and fourth quarters?

So what your trying to say is it`s like if you robbed a bank but got caught & didn`t make it out of the bank with the cash , then you really didn`t have any affect on their cash flow so it shoul;dn`t be a crime either...

I think it is going to be ALOT more than that.

Heck if they dock you a 4th and 5th then it was probably worth it.

I would be very surprised if they didn't take away one of their their first round picks AND cut into their salary cap some and hit Belicheat with a one game suspension.

All this is going on with the Chargers coming into town this week. Should be a very interesting game.

Not completely true. As reported by the AP, the Jets chief of security notified NFL security during the game. I'm pretty sure the Jets "chief of security" is that greasy haired ex-spook/g-man that used to follow Parcells around.

I have no problem with them alerting the proper authorities that belidik was cheating in violation of the rules AND the memo that was sent out this summer. It's a league matter now.

the Jets chief of security notified NFL security during the game.

That's his job, no?

I'm pretty sure the Jets "chief of security" is that greasy haired ex-spook/g-man that used to follow Parcells around.

It's the same guy, but he's on the sidelines during the games, so he probably just made a phone call.

Did you Jetcane? Maybe you are really a Pat's spy who went undercover as a JetNation Training Camp Reporter. Did Max run a background check on you? ;)

I did post it- and I knew max had his hounds following me around this summer, but i was able to lose them when I went into a strip joint on Hempstead Tpke. i knew, being max's "guys" they'd never go into a titty bar.

If you can figure out a team signals from the sideline, kudos to you as that is all part of the game and you can certainly use that to your advantage. Using technology to do so is blatant cheating as it tilts the balance of fair play. They should make the Pats forfeit the game (but not give the Jets a win) as this would be a deterrent that has a major impact.

Wow, a 4th and 5th, Devastating. Maybe they should take away their lunch money also.

wow goodell is really being tested in this his 1st year.

he's gotta deal with vick, pac man & now this.

we just don't know if other teams cheat to the degree belichek did. I do think he attempted to take his cheating to another level this year though since he hasn't been caught to date.

1st time drug users rarely get caught. 1st time thieves rarely get caught. 1st time drinkers rarely get a dui.1st time cheaters rarely get caught.

they usually get found out because they become careless from doing it so much.

The punishment is a tough one cause it has to be fair to the whole league. my thoughts

1- take away the w without giving the jets a w or better yet play the game over.

2- heavy suspension for belichek. 8 games maybe but I wouldn't feel a ban for the season would be an unfair penalty.

3 smizzy had a great idea of reimbursing every fan who attended.

3.5 - yeah draft pick fines will have the least effect on the rest of the league so yes to this.

4 last but not least, make belichek stand at the podium & say "ERIC MANGINI IS A BETTER COACH THAN I AM SO I FELT THE NEED TO CHEAT TO WIN. that should cure him ;)

I have no problem with them alerting the proper authorities that belidik was cheating in violation of the rules AND the memo that was sent out this summer. It's a league matter now.

That's his job, no?

It's the same guy, but he's on the sidelines during the games, so he probably just made a phone call.

I have no problem with it either. I'm glad Johnny G-Man was doing his job, but 'cane claimed that Garb was delusional because she said this was Mangini screwing with Belly. 'Cane said that NFL security nabbed the guy, not the Jets-well, sure NFL security nabbed him after the Jets pointed him out.

My question is this: If Mangini is a genius and Mangini knows Belichick has been doing this for years, then how can anybody claim this loss is a result of the cheating? Either Mangini isn't so smart or this is a smaller issue and that was a legit opening day beating of epic proportions. About as bad as Herm v. the Chiefs. At home, no less.

You're being a lawyer 27.

i said "The spy was nabbed ny NFL security, not the Jets."

So who cares if the jets asked NFL security to look into what the guy was doing?

He was taken in (nabbed!) by the NFL, not the Jets!

And i know i havent made a claim that the loss was a direct result of the spying, but who is to say that stealing the signals didnt have an effect on the outcome?

Several players and Simms have comented that they seemed to know what D the jets were running before the play.

It's no secret that the jets' advantage is in scheming, not talent, and the cheating nullified that.

One thing that you have to consider sacred, when you are a czar of a sport, is the integrity and the appearance to fans and media that everything is upstanding and on a level playing field. Any appearances of impropriety can shake a sport to its foundation. Ask the NBA.

The most common "cheat" is considered to be the player. Trying to gain an upper-hand or doing something that is not in concert with the spirit of sportsmanship are the most common forms of violations.

In the innocent era, pre-pefomance enhancing, the dalliances included tear away jerseys and "stick- em". The enforcements were easy and incremental-they were outlawed league-wide.

Then came the illegal substance and performance enhancemnt eras. The NFL has been quick as a league to recognize these and ascribe penalties. First is treatment, then subsequent problems are dealt with through various length of game suspensions.

These are black and white issues that are usually jurisdicted without the prying eye of the public being involved. Most often, we are not aware of a problem until the penalty has been imposed.

As the competitive arena becomes more complex for the NFL, penalties have had to be issued for team "cheating". Most of these are your run of the mill accounting problems in circumventing the cap, or tampering with a coach. Serious problems, but none that seem to threaten the integrity of the sport and its appearances of competitiveness.

Make no mistake on those penalties though, they have been dealt with fairly harshly.

When Carolina was forming its expansion coaching staff, they blatantly talked with Steelers defensive coach Dom Capers while the team was playing in the playoffs. The penalty included a 2nd round and 6th round draft pick. Drastic penalties for an expansion team. The message was clear-Do not interrupt the NFL balance of competition.

Twice, the Denver Broncos have been fined 3rd round draft picks for salary cap penalties. They included undisclosed deferred payments to John Elway and Terrel Davis that were not accounted for.

The 49ers have also been docked 3rd and 5th round picks for salary cap discrepancies.

All, fairly stiff penalties, based on personnel, accounting and clerical mis-procedures. The NFL stance has been clear-Play fair and play equally.

Now we come to an entirely different animal. The New England Patriots, the dynasty darlings and a supposedly up-standing and highly admired denizen of the NFL community. Well, that was until Sunday.

The rumors have been there. The allegations floated. They just never were caught with the hand in the cookie jar. That all changed with the trail of crumbs and Bill Bellichick munching with an Oreo mustache.

A team was caught allegedly using surveillance cameras in capturing an opposing teams signals, and one can only guess to use these to proffer an advantage by using those signals and dissecting those for a competitive advantage.

This does not fit with your run of the mill "cheat", who may sneak a peak at the catcher or signal pitch location at second base,

Remember the little 7 year old that would attempt to sneak in to your huddle and listen to your play from the opposing team, in your sand-lot football game? You pushed him aside and told him to get lost. Annoying little pain in the ass he was. Well, that is the New England Patriots and their franchise, except on as scale that is a billion times larger.

And the NFL is left to deal with it. The problem is, the case is already being heard in the court of public opinion. There is a litmus bath being taken right now, before the NFL even has a chance to render a decision and a penalty. You know they hate that.

The league integrity is at stake, and the public is making a mockery of one its up-standing citizens. The decision of the league, and ultimately the penalty will be landmark, and the gravity of the situation should be treated as such.

A very difficult position for a Commisioner to be in. His announcement will speak volumes. Prior penalties have been fairly harsh as we re-counted earlier. Again, those dealt with personnel and accounting procedures. How do you penalize for obstructing competitive balance on the field?

I have no problem with it either. I'm glad Johnny G-Man was doing his job, but 'cane claimed that Garb was delusional because she said this was Mangini screwing with Belly. 'Cane said that NFL security nabbed the guy, not the Jets-well, sure NFL security nabbed him after the Jets pointed him out.

My question is this: If Mangini is a genius and Mangini knows Belichick has been doing this for years, then how can anybody claim this loss is a result of the cheating? Either Mangini isn't so smart or this is a smaller issue and that was a legit opening day beating of epic proportions. About as bad as Herm v. the Chiefs. At home, no less.

Very true.

Archived