Nugent refuses Jets offer, to test Free Agency

RaoulDuke

NJO/Star-Ledger

Kicker Mike Nugent declines offer from New York Jets, will test free-agent market

by Dave Hutchinson

Kicker Mike Nugent has declined an offer from the Jets to return and will test the free-agent market, The Star-Ledger has learned.

Nugent suffered a strained right quadriceps in the 2008 season opener against the Miami Dolphins and was replaced by veteran Jay Feely for the rest of the season. Nugent was in the final year of his contract and will become an unrestricted free agent.

The Jets had been facing a tough decision on whether to keep Nugent or Feely, and probably couldn't go wrong with either one. Now Nugent has made the decision for them.

"The Jets have been really cool about the situation and gave me time to decide whether to stay," Nugent told The Star-Ledger in response to an e-mail Tuesday. "They approached us last week to re-sign, and also called again this week, and gave us a chance to talk about making a decision.

"I have so much respect for the organization and my teammates, but I feel it might be time for me to move on. (General manager) Mike (Tannenbaum), (director of football operations) Ari (Nissim) and the coaches have been incredibly understanding of my decision process and I am really grateful to them."

Feely, who is also an unrestricted free agent, is expected to sign a two- or three-year deal to replace Nugent. Last season, Feely, an eight-year veteran and former Giant, converted 24 of 28 attempts, including his last 14 in a row.

Nugent, a second-round pick in 2005 out of Ohio State, is the top kicker on the free-agent market now that the Titans' Rob Bironas has re-signed with Tennessee.

Nugent, who attempted only one field goal last season and was injured at the time, hit 75 of 91 career field-goal attempts (82.4 percent) during his three healthy seasons with the Jets. His 308 points rank fourth in team history among kickers. He hit 19 consecutive field goals over the 2006-2007 seasons, the second-longest streak in team history behind Pat Leahy (22).

Last season, Nugent was injured on the opening kickoff against the Dolphins and kicked two extra points. He attempted and missed a 3-yard field goal despite being injured because the Jets had no one else to kick. He didn't play again, although he was healthy by Week 10 because Feely kicked so well.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The difference between these guys isn't so great that it would be worth paying one a lot more thatn the other. I think Nugent is the better kicker. But if he is going to be a lot more expensive I don't see how he would be worth it.

The difference between these guys isn't so great that it would be worth paying one a lot more thatn the other. I think Nugent is the better kicker. But if he is going to be a lot more expensive I don't see how he would be worth it.

Totally agree. Feely did a real good job last year.If he comes cheaper than Nugent then it's good-bye Mike time.

I hate to see another wasted draft pick.

Too late. It was a wasted draft pick when it was made.

Puss-a$$ kickoffs, can't make long FGs, always a threat to miss a short FG. Every team we face has a better kicker and most of them were free agents or low picks.

NJO/Star-Ledger

Kicker Mike Nugent declines offer from New York Jets, will test free-agent market

by Dave Hutchinson

Kicker Mike Nugent has declined an offer from the Jets to return and will test the free-agent market, The Star-Ledger has learned.

Nugent suffered a strained right quadriceps in the 2008 season opener against the Miami Dolphins and was replaced by veteran Jay Feely for the rest of the season. Nugent was in the final year of his contract and will become an unrestricted free agent.

The Jets had been facing a tough decision on whether to keep Nugent or Feely, and probably couldn't go wrong with either one. Now Nugent has made the decision for them.

"The Jets have been really cool about the situation and gave me time to decide whether to stay," Nugent told The Star-Ledger in response to an e-mail Tuesday. "They approached us last week to re-sign, and also called again this week, and gave us a chance to talk about making a decision.

"I have so much respect for the organization and my teammates, but I feel it might be time for me to move on. (General manager) Mike (Tannenbaum), (director of football operations) Ari (Nissim) and the coaches have been incredibly understanding of my decision process and I am really grateful to them."

Feely, who is also an unrestricted free agent, is expected to sign a two- or three-year deal to replace Nugent. Last season, Feely, an eight-year veteran and former Giant, converted 24 of 28 attempts, including his last 14 in a row.

Nugent, a second-round pick in 2005 out of Ohio State, is the top kicker on the free-agent market now that the Titans' Rob Bironas has re-signed with Tennessee.

Nugent, who attempted only one field goal last season and was injured at the time, hit 75 of 91 career field-goal attempts (82.4 percent) during his three healthy seasons with the Jets. His 308 points rank fourth in team history among kickers. He hit 19 consecutive field goals over the 2006-2007 seasons, the second-longest streak in team history behind Pat Leahy (22).

Last season, Nugent was injured on the opening kickoff against the Dolphins and kicked two extra points. He attempted and missed a 3-yard field goal despite being injured because the Jets had no one else to kick. He didn't play again, although he was healthy by Week 10 because Feely kicked so well.

fourth out of ALL Jets kickers, impressive! lol

Worse then that, another wasted jersey purchase...

Dude, when you buy a kicker's jersey, you deserve everything you have coming to you.

That pick drove me freakin' nuts! The complete stupidity of it is underscored by the ease with which he was replaced. A second round pick for a kicker? :suicide:

Good riddance to any reminder of Terry Bradway's tenure as GM.

I suppose that is the bright side. I'd have preferred NUGE, but if he's going to be a little d-bag about it...

BYE BYE TO ONE OF THE WORST UPPER LEVEL DRAFT PICKS IN NY JETS HISTORY.

HEY MIKE - BREAKING NEWS, YOU SUCK. YOU'VE ALWAYS SUCKED AND YOU WILL ALWAYS SUCK.

CALL JETSRULE128 AND HE CAN HOOK YOU UP WITH SOME AF2 PROSPECTS.

DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ASS NUGE.

Mods, please take care of this poster and his obnoxious font selection.

Thank you.

This just makes me more made at Mangini.

Why? Because he blew the 2008 season. So many things had fallen into place, including a "hot kicker." If Mangini had trusted Feely in Seattle things may have been different. But at least the Jets are better off now with Rex.

Hopefully Feely can stay being the "hot kicker."

The difference between the Jets and Patriots...

Mike Nugent - 2nd. round pick

FG 75-92 81.5%

XP 83-85 97.6%

KO 205 TB 12

Stephen Gostkowski - 4th. round pick

FG 77-90 85.6%

XP 43-44 99.4%

KO 288 TB 44

1 Pro Bowl Appearance

The difference in touch backs is staggering for the guy with the "Most powerful leg in the history of football". LOL

BYE BYE TO ONE OF THE WORST UPPER LEVEL DRAFT PICKS IN NY JETS HISTORY.

HEY MIKE - BREAKING NEWS, YOU SUCK. YOU'VE ALWAYS SUCKED AND YOU WILL ALWAYS SUCK.

CALL JETSRULE128 AND HE CAN HOOK YOU UP WITH SOME AF2 PROSPECTS.

DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THE ASS NUGE.

Somebody is pissed when there is bolded red fronts :lol:

Archived