What is the hype for Wilkerson?

Jetsbb

Wilkerson had a couple stops at the LOS yesterday, however a player who imo had a better day was Snacks. Im telling you, if I had to decide im keeping Sheldon and Snacks and trading Wilk. We have more than enough starters and depth at the position. Signing Wilk means letting Snacks go which would be retarded to do. He's arguably the best at the position and we would have no player to replace him. Wilkerson is good, heck he's very good, but the way our team is set up we're in a position to trade him and replace him with current talent.

He had a good game yesterday though...just didnt stand out.

Wilkerson had a couple stops at the LOS yesterday, however a player who imo had a better day was Snacks. Im telling you, if I had to decide im keeping Sheldon and Snacks and trading Wilk. We have more than enough starters and depth at the position. Signing Wilk means letting Snacks go which would be retarded to do. He's arguably the best at the position and we would have no player to replace him. Wilkerson is good, heck he's very good, but the way our team is set up we're in a position to trade him and replace him with current talent.

Yup agree. Wilk did make a few plays, but Snacks was all over the place.....he is a hell of a nose tackle and easy to point to for the "we havent/can't develop anyone" crowd.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Yup agree. Wilk did make a few plays, but Snacks was all over the place.....he is a hell of a nose tackle and easy to point to for the "we havent/can't develop anyone" crowd.

Sent from my SM-N915T using Tapatalk

Which is a reason why Wilk SHOULDNT get anywhere near Watt money. Watt puts up real stats every week. Wilk could have just a solid game, like yesterday but he wasnt impactful whatsoever. Snacks was all over the place. 

Cleveland was focused on stopping Wilkerson as he fought through several double teams and Arab blocks. This made it easier for Snacks. The Jets D Line is brutal and any team trying to stop a particular individual is going to have trouble from elsewhere. As 92 gets better Wilkerson will become more effective.

Cleveland was focused on stopping Wilkerson as he fought through several double teams and Arab blocks. This made it easier for Snacks. The Jets D Line is brutal and any team trying to stop a particular individual is going to have trouble from elsewhere. As 92 gets better Wilkerson will become more effective.

It never makes a difference what an offensive line does with JJ Watt, hence the reason why Wilk doesnt deserve the type of salary some fans are supporting. He had a couple tackles at the LOS but he wasnt impactful during the game whatsoever. 

I, too, agree we should trade a 25-year old Pro Bowler who can play any position on the DL while extending the contracts of a nose tackle and the guy who committed 4 crimes in 1 day.  All on the basis of one game against a very underrated offensive line.  That's how championships are won, people.  Also Mike Glennon.

Sheldon is a much better player, unfortunately he's one transgression from being suspended again when he finally returns.

If Mo keeps playing hardball with his agent you float he's available & you'll find out how other teams rate him. 

IMO Wilkerson is the Jets best defensive lineman and he was in on a bunch of the key plays.  I think it is getting to the point where he is wildly underrated around here.  If you guys didn't notice he was playing then I have to question if you know what number he wears.  Hell, even without seeing the number I can see his arm sleeves.  Isn't he the one that made the play on the strip where Mauldin got hurt?

Wilk stopped Manziel, Mauldin hit him from behind to cause the fumble.

I thought it was Reilly jumping over the top, but the fact is without Wilkerson there isn't even a tackle on that play. Ton of fumbles, some is on Manziel, but plenty is probably coaching emphasis.  Stripping the ball is good, but you have to be careful because that often leads to missed tackles.

IMO Wilkerson is the Jets best defensive lineman and he was in on a bunch of the key plays.  I think it is getting to the point where he is wildly underrated around here.  If you guys didn't notice he was playing then I have to question if you know what number he wears.  Hell, even without seeing the number I can see his arm sleeves.  Isn't he the one that made the play on the strip where Mauldin got hurt?

yes it was

What are people watching?

Why do you think Snacks had such a great game?  because the oline was focused on Wilkerson...and who did they put on Wilkerson?  Joe Thomas with help.  GTFOH.  It took the best OT in football with help to hold Wilkerson to 5 tackles and 1 sack...and that decision by Cleveland made everything easier for Snacks, Williams, and David Harris...

He's one of our best defensive players, probably only after Revis, on the team.  Wait till Richardson gets back and teams can't double Wilkerson.  Snacks and Big Cat should make plays all day, teams arent even focusing on them.

Was his name even called during the game? He never even brought any pressure on the QB I could see. For a 16 million dollar a year player which his agent is demanding that was a pretty quite game.

Meh its one game man did every player have to play great ? Sometimes that how it roll's man.

What are people watching?

Why do you think Snacks had such a great game?  because the oline was focused on Wilkerson...and who did they put on Wilkerson?  Joe Thomas with help.  GTFOH.  It took the best OT in football with help to hold Wilkerson to 5 tackles and 1 sack...and that decision by Cleveland made everything easier for Snacks, Williams, and David Harris...

He's one of our best defensive players, probably only after Revis, on the team.  Wait till Richardson gets back and teams can't double Wilkerson.  Snacks and Big Cat should make plays all day, teams arent even focusing on them.

your point is well taken however Watts also is the focus of Houston's line yet individually performs better than Wilkerson. Also the other Jets on the D line are stepping up which may not be the case with other teams. Wilkerson is very good just not at Watts's level.

your point is well taken however Watts also is the focus of Houston's line yet individually performs better than Wilkerson. Also the other Jets on the D line are stepping up which may not be the case with other teams. Wilkerson is very good just not at Watts's level.

Exactly.  Which is why the Jets aren't planning to give Wilkerson money on JJ Watt's level, as well they shouldn't.  But JJ Watt is a once-in-a-generation type player.  Saying Wilkerson is on a tier below JJ Watt isn't a knock on Wilkerson.  Mo was a late 1st rounder and has blossomed into one of the game's top 30 (or so) defensive players.  Arguments to trade him away are pure nonsense at this point. 

With Richardson suspended most of the season and no reason whatsoever to count on him in the long-term, Wilkerson is the only elite player on this team under 30.  He plays a central role in whatever Macc/Bowles plan to do with this team over the next 3+ years.  It's not a matter of IF he'll get paid by the Jets, its WHEN.

5 tackles, 2 assists and a sack. You guys are being a little tough on the guy. 

That's a solid game..and he's a solid player...certainly above average...I'll go as far as to call him very good.  But he is, by no means, what much of this fan base has made him out to be - a dominant force.

His hype is a function of Rex Ryan's big mouth.  

That's a solid game..and he's a solid player...certainly above average...I'll go as far as to call him very good.  But he is, by no means, what much of this fan base has made him out to be - a dominant force.

Mike Pettine was the one pounding the table for the Jets to draft Wilkerson.  Not Rex.  I don't recall Rex hyping Wilkerson nearly as much as he did other guys. 

NFL players ranked Wilkerson a top 50 player before 2014, and a top 75 player before this season.  Is that because of the supposed Rex hype train, or is it because his peers recognize what people say about him is true?

JJ Watt was never mentioned in my post.  No one in the NFL is JJ Watt...Suh may be closest, but doesnt deserve Watt money.  Watt is the closest thing the NFL has seen to Reggie White since he retired, better than Strahan by a mile.  I didnt read anyone on here say Wilkerson is better than Watt or should be paid like him.  Ill leave that to Richardson's big mouth.  But pretending he isn't a top 5 3-4 DE isn't correct either.  I'd take Wilkerson over Suh and his mouth and behavior every day of the week...model citizen that plays hard, stays out of trouble, and if plays 16 games likely gets you 10 sacks playing 3-4 End...ill take it.

He's a very good player, agreed.  He's no Strahan, Reggie White, or Watt...but id argue he's better than Dareus and Jordan and light years better than Heyward...

Not as good as JJ Watt.  Please tell me what current NFL defensive lineman that doesn't describe?   There are at least 17 defensive linemen getting over $10M per.  That number is only going to keep rising.  Most people expect salaries to rise a decent amount this offseason.  Desmond Bryant gets $7M per for the Browns.  Do you guys remember his name getting called? 

FWIW, Suh had one tackle and one assist yesterday and he is getting $19M per.

No but the inference of the post is that Wilersoon and his agent think he is Watts $$. I'm all for keeping Wilerson for the reasons you mentioned but if he insists on Watts $$ it has to be bye bye rather sacrifice the blue collar guys on this line.

yes, because anyone in the media and on this site know what he and his agents or the jets are asking for...

:roll::roll::roll::roll:

Naturally if Wilkerson is asking for QB money and refuses to budge, that is the ONLY instance where I would support trading him.

But let's stop acting like Mo isn't the most valuable commodity on our roster.  We'd be fools to deal him except as a last resort.  And if we do trade him, two first rounders is the price, at minimum.  None of this "1st and a conditional 3rd" bullsh*t.  We need to be placed in a position to get a franchise QB as a result of trading Wilk IF it were to happen.

Naturally if Wilkerson is asking for QB money and refuses to budge, that is the ONLY instance where I would support trading him.

But let's stop acting like Mo isn't the most valuable commodity on our roster.  We'd be fools to deal him except as a last resort.  And if we do trade him, two first rounders is the price, at minimum.  None of this "1st and a conditional 3rd" bullsh*t.  We need to be placed in a position to get a franchise QB as a result of trading Wilk IF it were to happen.

Agree that's the point.

When Leonard Williams was asked which vets have helped him he said Snacks and Sheldon no mention of Mo.. Snacks has clearly taken Little Kitty under his wing..

I don't always evaluate players, but when I do I dismiss entirely the previous 3 all pro level seasons and judge entirely on one opening game.

Cut his ass.

after not playing almost all of the preseason.  And while you're at it forget how all the attention he gets could possible give the guy you're praising a little extra room to operate.  

Who made him out to be that way? He's a very good defensive player

Cannot give Wilk what he is looking for when he does not put the QB down. He just doesn't. Not 60 million guaranteed worth

Oh so what you are saying it was Mo's fault Mauldin got hurt?  Cut Mo now!!

Archived