MVP watch.. FitzMagic for MVP ? ? ?

kelly

MVP Watch: Week 16

The one gripe I’ve always had with the vote for the MVP award by the Associated Press—and I’ve aired this with Barry Wilner of the APis the fact that you vote for one person for each award. So there’s no nuance, no credit to several players when it’s very close for first place. But that’s the way it’s been. All or nothing. So even in a year like this one, when Tom Brady is dealing with a makeshift line and injuries galore to key guys and still is tremendous, and when Carson Palmer is having the best year of his life for a 13-2 team, you get one vote, due after the final games of the regular season next Sunday. How I see the race with a week to go :

~ ~ 5. Ryan Fitzpatrick, quarterback, New York Jets. (LW: not rated.) My upset pick here. I chose Fitzpatrick by a hair over Brandon Marshall, who achieved his sixth 100-catch season Sunday. I did it because week in and week out, Fitzpatrick gives a very strong Jets defense precisely what it needs out of the offense—just enough punch (3,724 passing yards, 29 touchdown passes, 12 picks)—and provides New York with the leadership it sorely lacked at quarterback with Geno Smith.

REST OF ABOVE ARTICLE : 

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/12/28/peyton-manning-hgh-allegations-nfl-week-16-upsets

This. I'm loving Fitzy right now, and he's clearly been a big reason for the team's success this year, but he's not having a league MVP-type of season. 

Agreed.

I was a big fan of the Fitzy acquisition, and a big proponent of starting him over Geno Smith.  I'm happy to have been right, for a change, lol.

But he's no NFL MVP.

If Fitzy wins vs. Buffalo, a Fitzpatrick jersey will be my next addition to my current Jersey collection (Chrebet, Mangold, Ramsey).

Agreed.

I was a big fan of the Fitzy acquisition, and a big proponent of starting him over Geno Smith.  I'm happy to have been right, for a change, lol.

But he's no NFL MVP.

If Fitzy wins vs. Buffalo, a Fitzpatrick jersey will be my next addition to my current Jersey collection (Chrebet, Mangold, Ramsey).

Ramsey LOL

You're never going to live that one down. 

I think comeback player of the year and league MVP are not out of the question.  It may be a bit early to get excited but I think we could be looking at a potential future Pope with Ryan Fitzpatrick.

After that, only need a couple of certified miracles and sainthood awaits! :D

Agreed.

But he's no NFL MVP.

I can only hope your surname is Ramsey.

You can't be serious? Fitz for MVP?

It's Cam, Palmer or Brady, no one else is even in the discussion.

Hell, Kirk Cousins is more "in the conversation" than Fitz.

Tex you often come across as the anti-Christ. Could you become St. Fitzs 2 miracle?

You are the most predictable poster on here, though I give you credit for being consistent in your ability to come up completely biased and unfounded nonsense in virtually every post...why on earth would Kirk Cousins, who basically has lost as many games as he he has won and is the obvious beneficiary of an extremely weak division, be more "in the conversation" than Fitz? Oh wait a minute......never mind.

You are the most predictable poster on here, though I give you credit for being consistent in your ability to come up completely biased and unfounded nonsense in virtually every post...why on earth would Kirk Cousins, who basically has lost as many games as he he has won and is the obvious beneficiary of an extremely weak division, be more "in the conversation" than Fitz? Oh wait a minute......never mind.

Ummmm, Cousins has already won a division title.

Fitz hasn't backed into a 6th playoff spot yet.

See the difference?

Brady should be no where in the conversation.  Not this year.  Cam and Palmer are too far ahead.  Az with and without Palmer the last two years makes him a solid choice

Fitz is as part of the conversation as Cousins.  

The Jets don't even have the best player at any position in the NFL much less the best player in the NFL. 

Best player in the NFL isn't necessarily the most valuable.

Seriously? I know we are QB starved but he has the 25th best passer rating and 10th most TD's... that is just against other QB's not judging against any other position...

Having the best stats is not the same as being the most valuable to your team over all other players in the league. 

Brady should be no where in the conversation.  Not this year.  Cam and Palmer are too far ahead. 

Fitz is as part of the conversation as Cousins.  

As much as I hate the guy, did you see what Brady has done this year with all the injuries on offense?  That's the measure of MVP: Everyone else goes down, but he continues to get the wins.  If not for some idiot dropping the ball on a punt return late in the game, Brady pulls off a miracle in Denver playing with scrubs.

If he has a great game in buffalo and gets this team to 11-5 and in the playoffs, hes definately in the conversation.  Stop hating.  Your going downhill dude.

pennington finish 2nd one year in mvp voting.  Fitz is doing similiar to what pennington did for the fins that year.

As much as I hate the guy, did you see what Brady has done this year with all the injuries on offense?  That's the measure of MVP: Everyone else goes down, but he continues to get the wins.  If not for some idiot dropping the ball on a punt return late in the game, Brady pulls off a miracle in Denver playing with scrubs.

To me, and I know it's debated all the time, I think the MVP is the guy who makes the biggest difference for his team.  Brady plays on a team with a lot of stars and players.  I could see how someone can make an argument for all the players being more important to their teams than Brady.  It's a hard argument and the award usually goes to someone who is the combo of a star, popularity and on a really good team.  

If he has a great game in buffalo and gets this team to 11-5 and in the playoffs, hes definately in the conversation.  Stop hating.  Your going downhill dude.

pennington finish 2nd one year in mvp voting.  Fitz is doing similiar to what pennington did for the fins that year.

That year, Brady was hurt. Favre was costing us a playoff berth. Rodgers was a first year starter. Brees was dominant, but on an 8-8 team. Warner was the QB of "the worst division champion of all-time". Ben had a down year statistically. Tomlinson was slowing down. AP had yet to fully become what he turned into.

It was a weird year. The AFC's number one seed was QBed by Kerry Effing Collins. Peyton won by default. Chad got votes because of narrative and who else is there?

Not the case this year with Cam, Palmer, and to a lesser extent Brady. Not to mention the ever present JJ Watt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Few thoughts.

I think Marshall might be slightly more important to the Jets than Fitzpatrick.  I think what Marshall brings elevates the entire offense, including Fitzpatrick and Decker by being truly dominant as opposed to very good.  I'm not considering who the replacement is, because clearly both are absolutely essential at this point.

Having said that, I think the most important guy on the team is Nick Mangold.  When he goes out with injury the team absolutely sucks.  They can't run.  They can't pass.  They basically just crap the bed until he comes back, even with Fitz and Marshall.  No Center will ever likely win a Team MVP award but Mangold has to be in the conversation.

And finally, the Jets may not have a 'best-in-position' guy on the roster, but they have at least three probable 'top-5-in-position' guys and maybe a few more 'top-10' guys and that seems to be enough to get the job done.  I only care about individual awards when we miss the playoffs.  Couldn't care less this year.

Archived