A reactionary pick from a Front Office that thinks there very close to Playoffs/Superbowl.

Shockwave

10 hours ago, Shockwave said:

I Personally see a team one year removed from 4-12 and having the oldest roster in the NFL with many overpaid players on the wrong side of 30. Thats not what our Front office see's. 

When new general managers come in they usually have this vision of building a roster from the ground up. You see Cleveland grabbing extra picks. The same for Tennessee and others. Building their lines. Going out and grabbing a Franchise QB and then protecting/getting him weapons. 

Thats not what happened here. Since day 1 we have acquired every possible player, traded draft picks and spent every dollar imaginable. This offseason they went out there and picked up older players as backups and role players - Moves you see mostly contenders do. 

The Jets have been so reactionary every year - Not capable of looking forward and building. In pittsburgh our kicker sucked in a playoff game so we ruined an entire draft by getting Mike Nungent. Then we had terrible CB's one year and forced Kyle Wilson the following draft. Revis left and we forced the Milliner selection. Now after a season of watching teams throw often to their RB's on us we go and force a pick on Daron Lee. 

For those that don't follow the draft Daron Lee is a guy that likely played at 210-220 tops and probably gained some weight for the combine. He's not good enough at covering to be a cornerback and he will likely never be big enough to be a every down player against 300-350 pound Lineman. Also that 4.47 speed is really nothing special for his weight. So then what did we draft him for? He was specifically drafted to cover RB's out of the backfield. You know Darren Sproles in the Philly game? The Patriots games? He was brought here specifically to be a role player. He's obviously not big enough to cover Tight ends or rush the passer at 220. 

So who drafts role players? Teams that think there are VERY close to a championship. That is what this team thinks right now. Teams that think they are VERY close to a championship also are willing to spend 15m on one year of a Franchise player like Mo. They are the team that trades away draft picks - Not acquiring them. A team that couldn't care less about comp picks because they are not significant anyway right?

Is this a good thing? Possibly depending how you look at it. Who wouldn't want to try to get into the playoffs every single year. Especially now with Brady out for 4 games. With a team this old is there any other option? This could absolutely work out - So I don't mean to knock it. Just need to point this out. We are not playing for next year. We are not building for the future. This team is being built with one goal.....Win it all this year. 

And If we don't win the next year or two? We will simply have a new GM in here to "Rebuild". While this thought process is rare with new Gm's it absolutely might turn out to be a good thing. Lets wait and see. 

I have said it before and Ill say it again. The coaching tree here all along is Bill Parcells and Bruce Arians. Veteran QB's - Veteran Teams - You play every year to win for better or worse. The question will be can we find our Vinny? Can we find our Carson Palmer? The Jets need alot of help to be the Cardinals or any of Parcells old teams. 

I just want to say that the irony of this post, with accusations of the front office being "reactionary," is not lost on me.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

The Jets have (HAD) a major hole at linebacker and overall defensive speed. Darron Lee fills that need. He can come in and be our Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis, or Deone Buccanon... That sounds reactionary to you?

How many times did we get beat by a running back embarrassing a linebacker? I can think of 2 games where that was a huge factor in us losing (Philly and first Buffalo game). This pick has been highly graded almost across the board.

Except Luke Kuechly is at least 2 inches taller and 10 lbs heavier. 

Just now, Bugg said:

Except Luke Kuechly is at least 2 inches taller and 10 lbs heavier. 

2 inches taller you are right. He's also 5 years older and way into an NFL strength and conditioning program. Lee can't gain 10 pounds? He can do that before the season easily...

7 minutes ago, Dcat said:

I watched a pair of games since the pick and from what I saw, it is an overstatement to call Lee a "sure tackler".  There were multiple broken tackles and missed tackles by him as well as solid ones.  He was the fastest defender out there, obviously.

Yep, this is my concern as well.  He's an effort tackler but doesn't seem too good at it.  Does a weird thing where he puts his arms out ready to wrap (which looks like good technique), but he never wraps, just leaves them hanging there... Very strange.  Don't think his coverage skills are that great either;  good, not great.  Hard time getting excited for this pick, but hope I'm wrong.  He's a Jet now so I'm all in...

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Can't wait to watch him try and cover Gronk.

Gronk will just give him a head slap and the little guy will end up in the 3rd row of the stands.

Can't believe the Jets passed on Lynch for this guy.

Hell, the Pats has a better 1st round pick than the Jets.

translation:

"My name is TX Troll, and my anus hurts so bad right now that it has started to bleed. So after I apply the lotion,  I'll try to convince my surrogate family at JetsNation that passing on perhaps the dumbest QB prospect in a decade, one who will have to sit on the bench for a couple of years and one who was projected as a late 2nd rounder from the get go and has limited skills compared to most 1st round QBs.  Yeah... that will fool them or rile them up while I watch my beloved, morally corrupt franchise draft nothing in round 1. "

So happy to help you out with your post.

BTW, GFY.

2 hours ago, PatsFanTX said:

Can't wait to watch him try and cover Gronk.

Gronk will just give him a head slap and the little guy will end up in the 3rd row of the stands.

Can't believe the Jets passed on Lynch for this guy.

Hell, the Pats has a better 1st round pick than the Jets.

The Pats didn't have a first round pick because they cheated, a ruling officially supported by a federal court.

25 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Neal is playing safety. Lee is playing Linebacker. Moneybacker sounds made up. Either way, it's not a premium position. That's QB, LT, and CB.

LB is not a premium position? They certainly get paid like one. 

we drafted a guy that will be a part time player and if you watch college ball at all-he was pushed around by bigger guys-welcome to the NFL where guys are BIGGER-this is not in dispute-even the jets coach said this essentially and said he needs to put on weight and wont be a full time starter and will not start for us right away as well

we should have taken Lynch-he will be starting by mid season and an anchor on the broncos for years to come-

Elway is a hall of game qb and just won a superbowl as a gm-he knows more then me, more than any of you fans and more than our GM

this is like the devin smith pick and the dee milner pick-some fans will try and force it on you but this will be our third high wasted pick and you can throw geno in there too-we are BAD at drafting and always have been

1 minute ago, kmnj said:

we drafted a guy that will be a part time player and if you watch college ball at all-he was pushed around by bigger guys-welcome to the NFL where guys are BIGGER-this is not in dispute-even the jets coach said this essentially and said he needs to put on weight and wont be a full time starter and will not start for us right away as well

we should have taken Lynch-he will be starting by mid season and an anchor on the broncos for years to come-

Elway is a hall of game qb and just won a superbowl as a gm-he knows more then me, more than any of you fans and more than our GM

this is like the devin smith pick and the dee milner pick-some fans will try and force it on you but this will be our third high wasted pick and you can throw geno in there too-we are BAD at drafting and always have been

You know, we already had a thread (or two) discussing the pick.  Might want to scan the board first next time snowflake.

32 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

For some teams he is, for others he is a moneybacker.  Depends on the scheme.  Deone Bucannon and Mark Barron say hello.

those guys are tremendous tacklers. Lee is an ok tackler, but not great at all, from what I see watching a couple of his games last year.  His primary asset is speed and finding a good angle to the play.  And I'm not complaining about the pick, it's fine, but people are just posting inaccurate comparisons and faulty statements about lee's brand of play.

31 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Who needs an OLB when you have moneybackers!

And LOL at TE. This team needs to get better and younger on the offensive line. Period. That should be the focus of day 2.

Hope you're right.  I really want Spriggs, but it will take a big trade up to get him, so I guess not.

I believe they ranked the players on their board, had a high ranking on this kid due to his unique skillset, and took him because he was the highest ranked player on their board.  Period.  I don't think there was any thought to them considering themselves contenders this year or not when making this pick.  I highly doubt they were in the room having Paxton Lynch ranked higher on their draft board thank Lee and said you know this Lynch guy is really good and could be our franchise solution for the next 15 years, but hey we need to win riht now because we're running out of time on the Fitzpatrick/Geno window so let's take the lesser ranked Lee instead.  I mean, really?  I just don't think they had Paxton Lynch valued that high.  Time will tell.  As for Myles Jack, from the looks of it we may grab him in the 3rd lol. 

29 minutes ago, Bugg said:

2 ways to look at this. 

<snip point 1>

2nd point; watched enough OSU games to know other offenses keyed on Bosa(who is gonna be a beast and will make a lot of draftniks who knocked this pick look very dumb) and the rest of their talented DL. So who was blocking this guy-a small TE? a pulling guard?, none of whom are gonna play in the NFL.  In the highlights I have seen doesn't seem he was often matched up against some 6'5" 325 lb tackle who can moves like a cat, nor some 6'5" 280 TE. In fact, looked like teams kinda left him alone. That is not gonna happen on Sundays. Sorry, but a 6'1" LB no matter how fast he is is gonna be an issue.Lee looks like a safety, This defense hasn't stopped even a  middling TE forever, and a 6'1" LB is gonna look like a cat chasing a ball of wool,  to say nothing of the tackles he will have to get off of to do anything. 

Having said all that, hope I'm very wrong.

agree with point 2 above.  Also hope we are wrong.

"Look ok the Steelers, Seahawks, and Cardinals have small linebackers so I mean yeah they have offenses who score a million points so the other team is forced to pass but I mean Geno is like wait nevermind anyway Darron Lee is like a big safety who can combine with our other big safety to form an Arizona defense that relies on Carson Palmer to put up 40."

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

"Look ok the Steelers, Seahawks, and Cardinals have small linebackers so I mean yeah they have offenses who score a million points so the other team is forced to pass but I mean Geno is like wait nevermind anyway Darron Lee is like a big safety who can combine with our other big safety to form an Arizona defense that relies on Carson Palmer to put up 40."

Who was your preferred pick at 20?

55 minutes ago, 77DRAFT said:

seems like we draft OL every year and no results, wouldn't mind a T in the 2nd but anything beyond the second

would be too big a risk for our scouts,  I'm ready for Quayle who they like and Harrison, especilally if Fitz is back there,

Fitz wants 16 mil ? Lets give the o line he deserves, where is turn style these days ?

Lol after he almost said "**** you and your fans, Jets" and not before Jets almost saying "dude, you're a freaking scrub and a loser. Take this sh*t offer for your sh*t talent", I don't see why we still love him. 

With this pick, I feel defeated. Don't know why but it is what it is. Yeah we were picking 20th and options were limited. Yeah, Lee is a safe pick fitting Bowles' scheme and can help us with his speed. I definitely don't hate the pick but somehow I still feel defeated. I guess I was hoping more from last night. I thought we would be able to move Mo but we couldn't. I was hoping for an offensive player but we passed. At least I was hoping to trade down to gain more picks but we didn't. We just picked a value pick. I don't hate the pick but still I feel defeated.

11 hours ago, T0mShane said:

It's fun having small LBers when your offense is killing people, like Seattle and Arizona. When your offense is average, those small LBs get crushed, hurt, and then everyone gets fired.

wash, rinse, repeat.

17 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

With this pick, I feel defeated. Don't know why but it is what it is. Yeah we were picking 20th and options were limited. Yeah, Lee is a safe pick fitting Bowles' scheme and can help us with his speed. I definitely don't hate the pick but somehow I still feel defeated. I guess I was hoping more from last night. I thought we would be able to move Mo but we couldn't. I was hoping for an offensive player but we passed. At least I was hoping to trade down to gain more picks but we didn't. We just picked a value pick. I don't hate the pick but still I feel defeated.

this sums up how I feel exactly. To a tee.  Very well stated.

[And (off topic), the stupid draft party was awful... beyond awful;.  I will never go again to that sham of an event. Waste of time and the jets should be ashamed to host such a poorly planned, poorly delivered event.]

36 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Who was your preferred pick at 20?

Honestly, we should have taken Lynch, and I don't even know if I like the guy but chances have to be taken until QB gets solved. Give him a year or two while still picking up mid-round QBs in 2017 and 2018 and then try again if he doesn't pan out. We're not in a position to be passing on quarterbacks.

10 minutes ago, Dcat said:

[And (off topic), the stupid draft party was awful... beyond awful;.  I will never go again to that sham of an event. Waste of time and the jets should be ashamed to host such a poorly planned, poorly delivered event.]

Well as always, I will gladly take your draft party tickets off your hand my friend. Yep, last night was bad. The biggest fun of the party is to be able to play walk on the field but this year it wasn't possible. I won't go again if they don't allow access to the field. 

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

These are always my favorite post on the board. People said the same thing about: Herman Edwards, Eric Mangini, Rex Ryan and all of their GM's. How did that work out for them? 

A million times better than anything you would have even dreamed of doing in any aspect of NFL football. 

Even more, I hate the GM who out of his mommy basement thinks he knows more about drafting than a professional FO and whines incessantly after ever draft, bitching that our GM is clueless and should have listened to fans

Then is quiet as can be when it works out.  See C Pryor. 

22 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Honestly, we should have taken Lynch, and I don't even know if I like the guy but chances have to be taken until QB gets solved. Give him a year or two while still picking up mid-round QBs in 2017 and 2018 and then try again if he doesn't pan out. We're not in a position to be passing on quarterbacks.

Lynch sucks.

It's hard to take a lot of this criticism seriously. After every pick there are always people who either complain to complain, think they had the better pick, or think the GM could have made magic happen to get a better trade. 

Had we traded up to take Goff then we'd have threads complaining that we gave away too much in the trade, that we should have taken Wentz, should have not traded and taken somebody else, made a different trade, should have waited to take Goff at 20, Goff is a bust, we should have traded up but taken somebody else, etc. Fifty different ideas that all disagree except they agree Mac made the wrong decision because it isn't the one they wanted to take while sitting on their couch. 

Archived