Why Wouldn't The Jets Draft a QB Round 1 2017?

southtown24th

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, southtown24th said:

I am hearing people talk about sticking with what we have and bringing in people like Tony Romo and Jay Cutler...

Explain to me the reasoning behind why would the Jets NOT select a QB in Round 1 in 2017--makes perfect sense to me.  

Enlighten me.

The best rated QB right now for the draft is DeShaun Watson and technically if there weren't any needs/reaches he would be the first QB off the board in either the 2nd or 3rd round...

Its a typical jets problem that we usually have 5 or less wins going into draft classes that have sh*t talent for our biggest needs.  Just part of the Jets cycle at this point.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Because they are stoopid and hate us.

The line should have been and I quote "Because they are stoopid and they hate us you doodie-heads". Has a better ring to it yes?

Seriously folks. With no clear cut can't miss labeled guy coming out I just don't see it. If a guy impresses at the combine and moves up the ladder he will be gone when the Jets pick. I would go RB and see who falls into the 2nd. If a QB is there who is worth a 1st rounder when they pick I would be surprised.

here's the thing.  if the records hold, they will have the 5th pick or so.  imo cleveland will not go qb.  sf probably will. bears probably will.  jags might.  but all of these teams need more than just a qb and if there isn't a sure fire starter what's the point?  the jets should try to trade down and get additional picks and then pick a qb late 1st round if it's tubitsky or later.  but even there, they'll have another young qb and no qb starter.  petty?  hack?  what then?  meanwhile you have the vets like marshall and decker wanting to win.  at least decker suffered through a geno season so he will probably be okay.  maybe they cold trade for cutler.  wilk for cutler plus some draft picks.  fox is a defense guy.

1 minute ago, JetFaninMI said:

The line should have been and I quote "Because they are stoopid and they hate us you doodie-heads". Has a better ring to it yes?

Seriously folks. With no clear cut can't miss labeled guy coming out I just don't see it. If a guy impresses at the combine and moves up the ladder he will be gone when the Jets pick. I would go RB and see who falls into the 2nd. If a QB is there who is worth a 1st rounder when they pick I would be surprised.

100% agree. Or they can wait till the second round and pick a probable UDFA QB with that pick. Oh wait the doodie-heads already did that. 

1 hour ago, bealeb319 said:

if you were hired as a head coach and knew your job is on the line if your team played poorly you would go into the season without a veteran backup atleast?

Yes. A journeyman, random dude who will most likely lose to our future 1st round pick and/or one of the other morons on our roster.

And if that's the case, then we have a bigger problem than I thought with Bowles...I am not concerned about him saving his own ass and saving his own job--I am concerned about the long term viability of this franchise as someone who has been emotionally invested in this team for close to 26 years.

Sickening.

5 hours ago, Guilhermezmc said:

Some say Deshaun Watson is going to fall into the second round, can you imagine Watson + Fournette duo? We can dream can't we

This I could live with. Would still rather have Myles Garrett over them both.

Eh a mediocre qb hurts worse then a bad one.  Then you are relegated to .500 purgatory for years waiting for your almost qb to make the next step.  Sometimes it comes, but usually it doesn't.

jury is still out on Wentz, Goff, Mariota, Bortles, Winston, Tanehill etc. Hell there are question marks even about Andrew Luck and Cam Newton.  At the end of the day, there have been so few Brady/Brees/Rogers/Manning level talents in the league.

3 hours ago, Hael said:

Eh a mediocre qb hurts worse then a bad one.  Then you are relegated to .500 purgatory for years waiting for your almost qb to make the next step.  Sometimes it comes, but usually it doesn't.

jury is still out on Wentz, Goff, Mariota, Bortles, Winston, Tanehill etc. Hell there are question marks even about Andrew Luck and Cam Newton.  At the end of the day, there have been so few Brady/Brees/Rogers/Manning level talents in the league.

I would take Wentz, Mariota, Winston over any QB on our roster TOMORROW.

"There's no QBs worth drafting in the 1st" = "The media isn't hyping up any of the QBs so I don't want them".

Just wait until the media hypes up Tribusky (he's another QB that "looks the part" so you know it's gonna happen). I guarantee most of you will be changing your tune real quick. People just be parroting whatever the media says

9 hours ago, phill1c said:

Sorry, but this is flawed logic: that Todd Bowles says he's not good enough means nothing. In fact, to me, it means less than nothing.

Todd Bowles, a "defensive genius" whose defense is actually just as bad as his offense has ZERO credibility in my opinion.

And who is to say that he would not feel the same way about yet another rookie who doesn't know the system?

Except you have no proof that Bowles doesn't know QBs.  In fact that a defensive coach can't know offens or QBs is kind of a dumb given.  Shula, a defensive HC developed Marino. belichick developed Brady.  Of the premise is right, if Petty doesn't have what it takes, Bowles is right.  Forget that Bowles is making decisions with input from his staff and Macc.  

But hey, then our HC is too stupid theory is a time honored tradition.  Because it's easy

13 minutes ago, King P said:

"There's no QBs worth drafting in the 1st" = "The media isn't hyping up any of the QBs so I don't want them".

Just wait until the media hypes up Tribusky (he's another QB that "looks the part" so you know it's gonna happen). I guarantee most of you will be changing your tune real quick. People just be parroting whatever the media says

Wentz came out of nowhere.  Happens every year.  Bowl games, combine, hype tour, it all,changes soon

3 hours ago, southtown24th said:

I would take Wentz, Mariota, Winston over any QB on our roster TOMORROW.

Of course, bc these guys have a chance at progressing and some chance is better than no chance.  However, probably a good 50% of these guys will become the next Jay Cutler.  E.g. Great talents who showed several good years early in their career and were on the way t becoming the next big thing and then... didn't.

Cutler has given his teams years of misery and in some sense u are better off with nothing rather than that.

4 hours ago, King P said:

facts

14 hours ago, southtown24th said:

I am hearing people talk about sticking with what we have and bringing in people like Tony Romo and Jay Cutler...

Explain to me the reasoning behind why would the Jets NOT select a QB in Round 1 in 2017--makes perfect sense to me.  

Enlighten me.

The Jets Fo has to honor their draft board .( when they eventually formulate it)  Qb should always be a priority when you don't have that proven franchise player there , but you can't elevate a prospect there just because of need.    

Basically if your Fo thinks there is a Qb Prospect that can be a franchise Qb , than you have to take him.( can't count on Petty or Hackenburg who yet to prove they are longterm answers) . Neither Qb should prevent the Jets from trying to upgrade themselves there.

Finding that franchise Qb isn't easy.   Might take a lot of misses before you find that guy.      Can't get discourage or can't stop constantly looking for an upgrade at one of the most positions in the game.   Untill you find that franchise Qb, you are basically spinning your tires in the mud.( not going anywhere till that position solved).

59 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

The Jets Fo has to honor their draft board .( when they eventually formulate it)  Qb should always be a priority when you don't have that proven franchise player there , but you can't elevate a prospect there just because of need.    

Basically if your Fo thinks there is a Qb Prospect that can be a franchise Qb , than you have to take him.( can't count on Petty or Hackenburg who yet to prove they are longterm answers) . Neither Qb should prevent the Jets from trying to upgrade themselves there.

Finding that franchise Qb isn't easy.   Might take a lot of misses before you find that guy.      Can't get discourage or can't stop constantly looking for an upgrade at one of the most positions in the game.   Untill you find that franchise Qb, you are basically spinning your tires in the mud.( not going anywhere till that position solved).

This basically summarized my philosophy.

My guess is that Watson, KIzer, Kaaya and Trubisky all make the list of potential franchise QBs.  The Jets will very likely get to pick one of them.   If they felt strongly that the QB that fell to them was not going to be successful, they could pass like they passed on Paxton Lynch, but potentially at their peril.

Another way to approach this, which I am warming up to, is to reserve the SECOND ROUND pick to the best QB available until they find a franchise QB.  The Jets second round picks have been useless anyway, so they might as well roll the on a QB that could potentially be a home run, like a Dalton, Foles or Carr.  For this reason I am much more patient on the Hack pick than many-if he was their guy, it was the right pick.  But they need to develop the QBs and other players.  My biggest concern about the team is their commitment and focus on developing players.  

With the Jets picking at the the top of the round, it is virtually guaranteed that someone interesting is available at the top of the second.

8 hours ago, Raideraholic said:

The problem isn't the Franchise or it's front office . The Problem is the fans, the media and the fast food micro-wave world we live in .  These people want instant gratification, and if they don't get it, planes fly, banners are hung and the radio waves go on fire.  In a media market like the tri-state area, that can become a problem  and has for 50 years .

There're many people existing within the Tri-State area that have no Mirrors in their houses . Vampires suck the life out of every living thing.

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

The problem isn't the Franchise or it's front office . The Problem is the fans, the media and the fast food micro-wave world we live in .  These people want instant gratification, and if they don't get it, planes fly, banners are hung and the radio waves go on fire.  In a media market like the tri-state area, that can become a problem  and has for 50 years .

There're many people existing within the Tri-State area that have no Mirrors in their houses . Vampires suck the life out of every living thing.

And yet, without them, the NFL does not exist. So...good franchises deal with it. Bad franchises have idiots blaming fans for their team's misfortunes.

18 hours ago, rangerous said:

here's the thing.  if the records hold, they will have the 5th pick or so.  imo cleveland will not go qb.  sf probably will. bears probably will.  jags might.  but all of these teams need more than just a qb and if there isn't a sure fire starter what's the point?  the jets should try to trade down and get additional picks and then pick a qb late 1st round if it's tubitsky or later.  but even there, they'll have another young qb and no qb starter.  petty?  hack?  what then?  meanwhile you have the vets like marshall and decker wanting to win.  at least decker suffered through a geno season so he will probably be okay.  maybe they cold trade for cutler.  wilk for cutler plus some draft picks.  fox is a defense guy.

Cutler used to be middling, but he's downright awful now. Bears will likely cut him because they can save 10 million so we can have a shot at him and keep Wilk(If Cutler doesn't retire at this point). There's also no chance Trubisky will make it into the latter part of the 1st. I don't think any of the QB's will slip past the Cardinals.

2 hours ago, Toua77 said:

Cutler used to be middling, but he's downright awful now. Bears will likely cut him because they can save 10 million so we can have a shot at him and keep Wilk(If Cutler doesn't retire at this point). There's also no chance Trubisky will make it into the latter part of the 1st. I don't think any of the QB's will slip past the Cardinals.

vinnie was downright awful until parcells resurected his career.  it's all about where these guys play and cutler will have an easy time throwing to marshall, decker, enunwa, anderson, etc. as long as the jets beef up the oline.  plus he is a vet and that will keep the attention of the vet players on the roster.  and the point about wilk is to find away to cut losses.  right now it looks like wilk is mailing it in.  he may still be injured or he's being influenced by richardson but if he's mailing it in then it time to move him.

i know other posters think that the jets will have a shot at a frachise type qb with the 5th pick but there's also a chance that the at least two of the top picking teams need qb's.  there's also a chance that none of the top rated qb's for this season are deemed good enough to be first rounders.  in any case, unless the jets figure there's something positice about starting petty or hack next season it's doubtful that they will enter the season without a vet qb.  anyone want fitz back?  and if they do draft a third qb, does that mean either petty or hack will be the odd man out.

3 hours ago, Toua77 said:

I'd rather have Glennon over Cutler

34 minutes ago, rangerous said:

vinnie was downright awful until parcells resurected his career.  it's all about where these guys play and cutler will have an easy time throwing to marshall, decker, enunwa, anderson, etc. as long as the jets beef up the oline.  plus he is a vet and that will keep the attention of the vet players on the roster.  and the point about wilk is to find away to cut losses.  right now it looks like wilk is mailing it in.  he may still be injured or he's being influenced by richardson but if he's mailing it in then it time to move him.

i know other posters think that the jets will have a shot at a frachise type qb with the 5th pick but there's also a chance that the at least two of the top picking teams need qb's.  there's also a chance that none of the top rated qb's for this season are deemed good enough to be first rounders.  in any case, unless the jets figure there's something positice about starting petty or hack next season it's doubtful that they will enter the season without a vet qb.  anyone want fitz back?  and if they do draft a third qb, does that mean either petty or hack will be the odd man out.

His leadership skills league wide are under question. Marshall was the same guy that publicly slammed Cutler in the media and said he needed to play better. He's made more than Vinny ever has, I think he's comfortable with his lot in life as a mediocre QB. He doesn't play behind a bad offensive line this year and already he's been outperformed by career backups. Hoyer came in and had the most streaks of 300 yards passing without a turnover possibly in their franchises history. In his 1st career start last week Matt Barkley came in and tied Cutler's career 300 yard 3 TD game for the Bears with 1. He locks on to receiver, has problems progressing through his reads and just processes the game slowly. He is who he is(And lately he hasn't even been the statistically average guy).

50 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Problem is Cutler's issue is attitude.  Vinny's issue was his play.  We also had a way better coaching staff when Vinny was here.  Bowles is probably back next year unless Woody grows a brain

On 11/28/2016 at 11:39 AM, phill1c said:

Because they have already spent significant draft capital on the position in the last couple of years and don't know what they have with them. And they have significant other needs that would impact the effectiveness of a rookie starting at QB, like their OT situation.

in 2010, CAR drafted Jimmy Clausen in the 2nd round. In 2011, they drafted Cam Newton with the 1st pick overall.

If you need further clarification, you may want to consider another sport. 

Kizer or Tribusky are the only two I am enticed by and, truth be told, I don't think either are worth a first.  Kizer should stay and work on his flaws (would be shocked if he does) and Tribusky has too little seasoning for my liking.  Don't really feel like drafting Mark Sanchez 2.0.  

My initial love for Watson still burns deep somewhere...but this season has scared me quite a bit.  The only reason I still have hope for him is the National Championship game a few years back and the fact that it looks like he has almost "forced" the ball to Mike Williams too much this season to keep him involved and that's what has led to the inconsistencies.  Watson did a much better job when he was able to spread the ball around to multiple guys.  Think he's kind of getting a bad reputation as of late, ala Teddy Bridgewater, but he can still be a very good quarterback in the pros.  Not sure the gamble is worth the top 5 pick we might have though.  Especially if they have hopes for Hack. It just makes more sense to evaluate that and hope for the best.  

Next QB class is on track to be special.  If Hack or Petty bomb, it's far better to "tank" and pick from next year's crop.  This year?  Take a flyer on a guy like Falk in the 3rd/4th, hope and pray that he's the next Wilson/Carr/Prescott if Hackenberg or Petty don't work out. If NONE of them work out?  If that's the case then just wait one more year to use the first round pick on a true first round talent.

5 hours ago, Paradis said:

in 2010, CAR drafted Jimmy Clausen in the 2nd round. In 2011, they drafted Cam Newton with the 1st pick overall.

Is Cam Newton available in this draft?

If not, maybe you can consider revising your opinion and perhaps being less rude to someone who ain't never spoken to you before.

Is Cam Newton available in this draft?

If not, maybe you can consider revising your opinion and perhaps being less rude to someone who ain't never spoken to you before.

This isn't about Cam Newton, this is about Jimmy Clausen. You know where Cam was expected to go at this time of year at Auburn? 3-4th round. So let's stop pretending anyone has a handle on exactly what's available in the draft, in November. You know what we did know this time of year about Carolina? Clausen sucked ass.

The parallels should be slapping you across the face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Paradis said:

Clausen played 13 games in his draft year, and I'm pretty sure a new regime cam into being did it not?  Both of those things factor into it.  They had a decent idea after one year what they had in clausen, the jets have ZERO clue what they have in hackenburg or petty.  And the other poster is correct, Newton was deemed a franchise QB, if the jets think a true franchise guy is there they will take him, if there is even one doubt they will not.

On 11/28/2016 at 3:02 PM, gEYno said:

I'm all for taking a QB, but here's the main issue... In all likelihood, we'll be picking 5th at highest and could drop to about 10.  There's a lot of talk about no QB being worth a top pick, but even at 5, sitting behind the Browns, 49ers, and Bears, we could pick at 5 and be sitting w/ the 3rd best QB in the draft.  That's not really what you want that early.

Roethlisberger was the 3rd best QB, and was taken at 11. (But hey, we were smart to stay pat and take Vilma at 12 'cause we already had the Chad :bag:.)

Are there any non-rapist Roethlisbergers in this draft?

Archived