lots of dead cap money

kmnj

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still can't get over how the Jets let Fitzpatrick hold them at gun point for 12 million with ZERO other offers from another NFL team, and now he can't even get a job if he played for free lol, ******* Bowles is a clueless moron when it comes to QB's.

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I still can't get over how the Jets let Fitzpatrick hold them at gun point for 12 million with ZERO other offers from another NFL team, and now he can't even get a job if he played for free lol, ******* Bowles is a clueless moron when it comes to QB's.

How about repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results with McCown?

Macc, genius that he is, offered 300% more than anyone else for McCown.  This organization literally learned nothing from last year.  

8 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

I thought that Macc signed Futz to the detriment of 3 younger QB's. My bad

3 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

How about repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results with McCown?

Macc, genius that he is, offered 300% more than anyone else for McCown.  This organization literally learned nothing from last year.  

image.gif

34 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Only the semi brainless can't figure this out.  He set team records the year before, the team almost made the playoffs.  The offense was very good under him that year.  Asinine teams like Houston  were handing brock osweiler obscene precedent setting contracts.  The options were limited and the jets wanted him.  The jets front office should be applauded for how they handled that situation, it could have been a lot worse if they had caved in.  Ftiz had good bargain power and he used it, The jets would only go so far and didn't cave in early.  the fact that ftiz layed a huge egg after the fact doesn't have much bearing on the the contract at the time.

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Only the semi brainless can't figure this out.  He set team records the year before, the team almost made the playoffs.  The offense was very good under him that year.  Asinine teams like Houston  were handing brock osweiler obscene precedent setting contracts.  The options were limited and the jets wanted him.  The jets front office should be applauded for how they handled that situation, it could have been a lot worse if they had caved in.  Ftiz had good bargain power and he used it, The jets would only go so far and didn't cave in early.  the fact that ftiz layed a huge egg after the fact doesn't have much bearing on the the contract at the time.

Anyone with half a brain could see how bad Fitz really was, and shame on the Jets for not making a bigger more serious push for a different veteran QB if Bowles was so determined to have a veteran QB, literally ANYONE else would have been a better option then Fitz, and yes I said that during 2015, after 2015, and still to this day it was so obvious, and only the Jets, and their ridiculous fans didn't see it.

48 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

The alternative was to let Fitz walk, go 4-12 and watch the fanbase freak out and blame the GM because we we just passed up a chance to go 10-6 again. Can you name a team that let a QB walk that easily after leading them to a 10 win season without having a viable replacement? 

Many of the people complaining about the "dead money" would be complaining that we threw away a year. Of course, now everyone can say well it didn't matter because we sucked last year anyway, but if we hadn't brought back Fitz fans could have always speculated about things would have been had we kept Fitz.

Macc was in a lose/lose situation. The effects of Fitz/Revis contract are not a big deal since we are rebuilding. We are going to have the most or second most cap space heading into next year. Having a few extra million this year wouldn't change a thing. We weren't going to spend a ton of money on high priced vets even if we had the extra cap space for this year. 

1 minute ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The alternative was to let Fitz walk, go 4-12 and watch the fanbase freak out and blame the GM because we we just passed up a chance to go 10-6 again. Can you name a team that let a QB walk that easily after leading them to a 10 win season without having a viable replacement? 

Many of the people complaining about the "dead money" would be complaining that we threw away a year. Of course, now everyone can say well it didn't matter because we sucked last year anyway, but if we hadn't brought back Fitz fans could have always speculated about things would have been had we kept Fitz.

Macc was in a lose/lose situation. The effects of Fitz/Revis contract are not a big deal since we are rebuilding. We are going to have the most or second most cap space heading into next year. Having a few extra million this year wouldn't change a thing. We weren't going to spend a ton of money on high priced vets even if we had the extra cap space for this year. 

image.gif

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

It was ridiculous. It concerns me because I believe Mac was completely OK with Geno/Petty Hack and Gailey was also OK with Geno/Petty Hack, but at the last minute he is signed which in my view was ALL Bowles. Looking at our first two picks, you have to wonder who has more sway and influence on team direction with Woody.

22 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

It was ridiculous. It concerns me because I believe Mac was completely OK with Geno/Petty Hack and Gailey was also OK with Geno/Petty Hack, but at the last minute he is signed which in my view was ALL Bowles. Looking at our first two picks, you have to wonder who has more sway and influence on team direction with Woody.

I agree that Mac was okay letting Fitz walk, but there was internal sentiment for him...Mangold, Marshall, Decker etc...They basically forced Mac's hand (they really thought they were going to have a REALLY good offense) That's not to say Bowles wasn't pushing for him, but I think it was more than just him.

It essentially split the locker room.....and then when proved to actually Suck - the locker turned into a F-in disaster.

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Anyone with half a brain could see how bad Fitz really was, and shame on the Jets for not making a bigger more serious push for a different veteran QB if Bowles was so determined to have a veteran QB, literally ANYONE else would have been a better option then Fitz, and yes I said that during 2015, after 2015, and still to this day it was so obvious, and only the Jets, and their ridiculous fans didn't see it.

Who was the franchise changing QB available last year that we missed out on?

58 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

There was definitely an element of interference last year, and I get the feeling that the more impulsive ones are Woody and Bowles.  

The key decision was the direction taken in 2015.  The better teams build and rebuild organically.  The Jets did a big FA spend, which actually worked to win 10 games.

At that point they were stuck.  I think Macc somewhat knew that doubledowning on that strategy could backfire, but although it is easy to second guess decisions you can see why they did what they did last year.  Although Fitz did cost us $3MM of dead money this year, the contract he ultimately signed cost the Jets less (on Fitz in 2017 and 2018), because after last year the Jets could not resign Fitz.  But they effectively paid McCown what they would have paid Fitz for 2017.  FWIW, the Jets QB spend in 2017 is around half of what competitive teams spend.  I think that says something in and of itself.

So the dead cap money to me is just what rebuilding teams do.   The Jets this year is the team with dead cap money.  Next year it will be other teams that are rebooting.  They are smartly trying to rebuild organically, which is good. The bigger question is whether the strategy will work, and whether Macc and the rest of the Brain Trust are picking the right players in the right way.   That is yet to be determined, but saving Woody cash and freeing up cap space for next year by incurring dead money this is not necessarily a bad strategy, and is likely a good one.

59 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I agree that Mac was okay letting Fitz walk, but there was internal sentiment for him...Mangold, Marshall, Decker etc...They basically forced Mac's hand (they really thought they were going to have a REALLY good offense) That's not to say Bowles wasn't pushing for him, but I think it was more than just him.

It essentially split the locker room.....and then when proved to actually Suck - the locker turned into a F-in disaster.

Marshall had 1 year left on his deal, was our best WR since Keyshawn Johnson, and at $7.5 million was actually underpaid

No reason to cut him other than the fact that Bowles is a total joke who couldn't manage a lemonade stand effectively

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

You are saying this after the fact, even the biggest fitz critics were eating their words after the big win streak before falling on our ass vs buffalo.  Fitz was not only good he was outstanding in that i think 6 game win streak. 

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

in addition to having one of the worst rosters in the league we have the second most dead cap money-way to go mac-those revis and fitz deals were just terrific

Atleast he won the GM of the year award. How about we beat that dead horse as well? He's a great GM. Don't ask why. He just is. He's done a fantastic job assembling the worst roster in the NFL after inheriting only $50mil of cap space. 

3 hours ago, kmnj said:

in addition to having one of the worst rosters in the league we have the second most dead cap money-way to go mac-those revis and fitz deals were just terrific

I have been told it is no big deal but the Fitz dead money actually keeps me up at night.

1 minute ago, j4jets said:

Atleast he won the GM of the year award. How about we beat that dead horse as well? He's a great GM. Don't ask why. He just is. He's done a fantastic job assembling the worst roster in the NFL after inheriting only $50mil of cap space. 

Mac is gone next January.  Woody can pretend to buy into the stupidity but he will eventually grow a brain and sink the costs.  He did with Tebow and Idzik

26 minutes ago, thadude said:

Mac is gone next January.  Woody can pretend to buy into the stupidity but he will eventually grow a brain and sink the costs.  He did with Tebow and Idzik

He's here for at least 2 more years. It is what it is. Enjoy the ride my friend.

39 minutes ago, thadude said:

And that keep perpetuating the cycle and we become the Cleveland Browns. Mac hasn't done a bad job, let's give him time instead of firing HC/GM every two years.

4 hours ago, dbatesman said:

On the plus side, all the players we signed are good, and the team is good, so 

more on the plus side is 20 of 21 mac draft choices are currently on the team.  maybe he hasn't drafted great players beyond leo but he has made this team much younger and cheaper.

55 minutes ago, j4jets said:

no offense but 50 m doesn't buy what it used to in nfl terms.

Archived