Mark Sanchez on Brian Schottenheimer, offensive identity, etc.

F.Chowds

NEW YORK -- Quarterback Mark Sanchez signed a three-year extension Friday, and today answered a backlog of questions that have built up during a tumultuous Jets offseason.

The most critical topic was his reconciliation with receiver Santonio Holmes, which we wrote about

here. Here's what Sanchez had to say on a handful of other topics, before being honored by the Randall’s Island Sports Foundation at its Fielding Dreams Gala this evening.

On the Jets losing their offensive identity last year:

At the beginning of the year, we tried to do a lot of three-wide stuff, and zone run schemes, and I don’t know if that’s necessarily our identity ... It just felt we like lost our identity because we were so enamored with a bunch of the players. "OK, let’s figure out how to use all those guys." And that can happen; it happened to us. ... You see their resumes like, "OK, we've got to get these guys the ball," so I think we fell victim to that a little bit. But that was a good learning experience.

On how much the turnover in the receiving corps affected him:

Just us not having worked together as much. With (tight end) Dustin Keller, I always know where he's going to go, I have a real good idea what he's like on and off the field. That continuity on offense helps. Working with Nick (Mangold), (Brandon) Moore, (Matt) Slauson, (D'Brickashaw Ferguson) and Wayne (Hunter), all those guys -- I know what they're like. I know what to expect; I know how they think a little bit. When you bring in a bunch of new guys, that's different, especially not having an offseason. So all these things, are they reasons we didn’t perform well? Sure. But they're not excuses.

On if offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer was a scapegoat:

The decisions were made, really, on both sides, so both sides were OK with what was going on, and they were ready to move on. Other than that, I just remember all great times we had. I don’t think it was a matter of him being a scapegoat or not, that wasn’t the only reason we lost games. Is everyone responsible? Sure. Did I turn the ball over too many times? Absolutely. Did he make every perfect play call? Of course not, nobody does. Whether you win the Super Bowl or not, it’s just not realistic. But I don’t think it was his fault.

On if the offense was too complex, as coach Rex Ryan indicated:

I don’t know about that. I know coach (Ryan) had some feelings about that, but I think a lot of it was a matter of execution. We just didn’t click, whether it was decisions or execution or an actual play call. I think we all had a hand in it.

On LaDainian Tomlinson and Damien Woody's comments that Sanchez is "coddled":

When players play in an organization and then move on, they're moving to their next step in their career. Their objectives are different from our objectives, so their opinions start to get a bit stronger, if you kind of understand what I'm saying. ... I didn’t say (they're fabricating); I definitely didn’t say that. All I'm saying, they have a new job now, so they kind of cross over and that’s OK, that’s fine. That’s his opinion on it. I respect LT, I have nothing but good things to say about him and Damien Woody. They were great to play with, competitors, the best guys you could ever have. But now they do have a new job, so that’s OK. ... I wouldn't agree with that.

On reserve quarterback Greg McElroy's comments that the Jets locker room had a "corrupt mindset":

Greg got a little ahead of himself. He tried to analyze that situation, and he had some strong feelings on it, apparently. We’ll give him a hard time when get back, but other than that, that’s just one guy's opinion.

On an anonymous Jets player's critical comments about Sanchez in a newspaper report:

If you're not going to put your name on something, why waste anybody's time? So that’s fine. They obviously had strong opinions about it, not strong enough to say who they were.

On how he feels physically after dealing with a late-season neck injury:

Great. After a few weeks off, I was just itching to play. I have to remind myself, "Don’t start working out right away." Give yourself a chance to have a break, get some good sleep, relax, get away. I feel great.

On some free agents being wary of the Jets' "circus" atmosphere:

The last two offseasons, everybody wanted to come here. We don’t play as well last year, and now some guys are outspoken about it, and it's suddenly not a good place. We've got to keep it in perspective. … From an outsider's perspective, I'm sure it did look a little hectic here. But that’s what happens when guys are outspoken about some of the negative things that go on in our organization. That’s the way it goes. I think anybody coming here would love it.

On DE Mario Williams joining the Bills and the AFC East:

I called (LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson), and I said, "Get ready, dude. We've got your boy in town, man; he's coming after you." He said, "Man, I'm ready.'" So he's excited.

On the possibility of the Jets bringing WR Jerricho Cotchery back:

He's one of the best players I've ever been around -- (one of the) best people I've ever been around. So any organization he's with will benefit. But as far as decisions, I don’t know what he's going to do. I'll give him a call for sure, but I don’t know. Just kind of feel him out a little bit.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

D'Brick is the man.

Sanchez should thank Schottenheimer, Ellard, and whoever else on the offensive side they changed over for taking his bullets. I'm surprised "what do you think will change(?)" wasn't asked. I'm sure the answer "not much at all really" wouldn't do much to inspire like "zomg our new routes are designed to get guys SO open,", but considering the conversation I don't see why that couldn't be asked.

After listening to the interview the words that came to mind were: vanilla, Visine and oatmeal. Nothing there at all.

I got quite a different feel from the article. He basically said the LT and woody were talking because that's all they can do now. He took personal blame and the line " They had strong feelings but not strong enough to put their name on it" was a snide, yet political way to call Plax.. er.. I mean that player a pussy. This article gave me the feeling that he was at least finally getting some hair on his balls.

I actually like the way he answered these questions. He's starting to sound like a man, and less like a snively, entitled baby.

I pretty much expect an offense like Miami had. I thin he can be alright in it. Keller to play the role of Fasano. Holmes to play Marshall. WR2 won't matter much, just needs to block downfield. Cotch? Schilens? Whatever. Kelley will be our Davone Bess.

The real question is, who will be RB1? Greene sucks. Powell sucks apparently. McKnight? Nah. I mean if Sparano could get every down out of Reggie Bush, maybe.... But i think we are drafting an all-purpose RB for sure this year. Richardson would be a dream come true.

Sanchez's success depends entirely on us running the ball 45 times a game. We need a Ronnie Brown, or a Ricky Williams. We don't have either right now.

After listening to the interview the words that came to mind were: vanilla, Visine and oatmeal. Nothing there at all.

Which is exactly what the Jets need. Players that know how to avoid controversy.

I actually like the way he answered these questions. He's starting to sound like a man, and less like a snively, entitled baby.

I pretty much expect an offense like Miami had. I thin he can be alright in it. Keller to play the role of Fasano. Holmes to play Marshall. WR2 won't matter much, just needs to block downfield. Cotch? Schilens? Whatever. Kelley will be our Davone Bess.

The real question is, who will be RB1? Greene sucks. Powell sucks apparently. McKnight? Nah. I mean if Sparano could get every down out of Reggie Bush, maybe.... But i think we are drafting an all-purpose RB for sure this year. Richardson would be a dream come true.

Sanchez's success depends entirely on us running the ball 45 times a game. We need a Ronnie Brown, or a Ricky Williams. We don't have either right now.

Totally agree.

One slight disagreement. I believe they will draft a big receiver. One that has top-end speed

With (tight end) Dustin Keller, I always know where he's going to go, I have a real good idea what he's like on and off the field. That continuity on offense helps. Working with Nick (Mangold), (Brandon) Moore, (Matt) Slauson, (D'Brickashaw Ferguson) and Wayne (Hunter), all those guys -- I know what they're like. I know what to expect; I know how they think a little bit. When you bring in a bunch of new guys, that's different, especially not having an offseason. So all these things, are they reasons we didn’t perform well? Sure. But they're not excuses.

Could have fooled me.

I got quite a different feel from the article. He basically said the LT and woody were talking because that's all they can do now. He took personal blame and the line " They had strong feelings but not strong enough to put their name on it" was a snide, yet political way to call Plax.. er.. I mean that player a pussy. This article gave me the feeling that he was at least finally getting some hair on his balls.

But that does not explain why they both separately voiced this same opinion.

And a player anonymously saying things isn't "gutless" because we see from Sanchez how that they're going to deal with McElroy. It was also apparently not Plaxico anyway; it was someone still on the team right now.

All of this is just talk, which is fine for the offseason. But if his accuracy, pocket awareness, staring down his primary target, and noticing of defenders on the field aren't all dramatically improved upon then he's still a stiff. Talk is easy.

On reserve quarterback Greg McElroy's comments that the Jets locker room had a "corrupt mindset":

Greg got a little ahead of himself. He tried to analyze that situation, and he had some strong feelings on it, apparently. We’ll give him a hard time when get back, but other than that, that’s just one guy's opinion.

What's he going to do smack the soap out of Greg's hand and hope Santonio takes the bait? Maybe get him off his a$$ for a couple days

He should be concerned with the fact a rookie backup QB with no guaranteed money has a bigger set of balls then our fearless leader

What's he going to do smack the soap out of Greg's hand and hope Santonio takes the bait? Maybe get him off his a$$ for a couple days

If he drops the soap and Santonio Holmes takes the bait, Greg McElroy will retire with a severed a$$hole.

Does anyone really give a sh*t what Mark Sanchez has to say about Brian Shottenheimer ? Even if he hated the guy hes not going to come out and say it so wtf does any of this mean ? I think we will get our answer on sh*tty when he totally destroys Bradford but Im not sure Jeff Fisher is stupid enough to let that get out of hand.

It is all supremely depressing as far as I am concerned. I have heard this sh*t before. To me, the future of this particular team is pretty gtim right now, and I usually look on the bright side. Let's see who they draft. They don't apear to be doing much now. The way I see it, 8-8 is a good possibility.

But that does not explain why they both separately voiced this same opinion.

And a player anonymously saying things isn't "gutless" because we see from Sanchez how that they're going to deal with McElroy. It was also apparently not Plaxico anyway; it was someone still on the team right now.

All of this is just talk, which is fine for the offseason. But if his accuracy, pocket awareness, staring down his primary target, and noticing of defenders on the field aren't all dramatically improved upon then he's still a stiff. Talk is easy.

Woody wasn't even on the team last season. For him and LT to have the same opinions is pretty difficult when one of them isn't in the locker room. The season prior we were the talk of the NFL. There were no locker room problems that I heard about.

This was a story this off season. blood in the water and everyone pounced. It's all good.

What I was commenting on was I liked the way Sanchez was reacting. He sounded aggravated by everything that happened. Let's hope that it gives him what they call a chip. That would most likely help him. The knock on him, other than bonehead mistakes on the field, is that he is not a strong presence. I get the feeling that he might have been pushed by all of the offseason attacks. At least at this point he's talking in a way that I feel shows more of a "manly" approach than a subservient one.

I agree with your last statement though. He needs to work on some things. That's obvious. Let's not forget that he has shown the ability to play in this league. The 4th quarter come backs of 2010 were impressive. Now if we can just get this guy to play well for an entire game we might have something.

It is all supremely depressing as far as I am concerned. I have heard this sh*t before. To me, the future of this particular team is pretty gtim right now, and I usually look on the bright side. Let's see who they draft. They don't apear to be doing much now. The way I see it, 8-8 is a good possibility.

Keep your head up man. We have more draft picks than in recent memory, a new OC,(no more Schotty) no more plax, and we're three days into FA. None of the solid franchises are doing much. We're waiting until the madness subsides. People are getting ridiculous contracts this year. Guards are getting over 10 mil a year. I'm glad we're not apart of the hoopla this time around. I would like to see some guys locked up soon too and believe me I'm in withdrawal from being used to us going for the big names and all, but this is way is better. We're just not used to it.

That's the best case expectation. Considering we're throwing the exact same team on the field with maybe a rookie or two more...yep, 8-8 is the best we're getting.

Keep your head up man. We have more draft picks than in recent memory, a new OC,(no more Schotty) no more plax, and we're three days into FA. None of the solid franchises are doing much. We're waiting until the madness subsides. People are getting ridiculous contracts this year. Guards are getting over 10 mil a year. I'm glad we're not apart of the hoopla this time around. I would like to see some guys locked up soon too and believe me I'm in withdrawal from being used to us going for the big names and all, but this is way is better. We're just not used to it.

Well, I hope you turn out to be right. But we have an number of holes. I guess what really has gotten me down is that I am getting tired of the Sanchez talk and the Tanny talk. Neither of them ever say anything. They just spew out the same receycled crap. So hopefully Mr. T will do a better job this off season. Sanchez I have little hope for.

Well, I hope you turn out to be right. But we have an number of holes. I guess what really has gotten me down is that I am getting tired of the Sanchez talk and the Tanny talk. Neither of them ever say anything. They just spew out the same receycled crap. So hopefully Mr. T will do a better job this off season. Sanchez I have little hope for.

I just hope we get Sanchez some stable parts already. We switch out the WR's every year on him. He has a lot to work on but getting some guys in here for him to actually build chemistry with would sure be nice. I am for bringing BE and Cotch back. Then we can draft a RB and safties. Today is a big visiting day for the Jets and we will hear something I'm sure. It's early and we had a tough year. We are all beat up lol

Manish Mehta @TheJetsStream

Players scheduled to visit the Jets today: QBs Drew Stanton and Brady Quinn, Safety Reggie Nelson and WR Chaz Schilens. #nyj

On the Jets losing their offensive identity last year:

At the beginning of the year, we tried to do a lot of three-wide stuff, and zone run schemes, and I don’t know if that’s necessarily our identity ... It just felt we like lost our identity because we were so enamored with a bunch of the players. "OK, let’s figure out how to use all those guys." And that can happen; it happened to us. ... You see their resumes like, "OK, we've got to get these guys the ball," so I think we fell victim to that a little bit. But that was a good learning experience.

Translation: Even though I'm paid like a top QB, I can't function in an offense where I'm expected to play like one

Woody wasn't even on the team last season. For him and LT to have the same opinions is pretty difficult when one of them isn't in the locker room. The season prior we were the talk of the NFL. There were no locker room problems that I heard about.

This was a story this off season. blood in the water and everyone pounced. It's all good.

What I was commenting on was I liked the way Sanchez was reacting. He sounded aggravated by everything that happened. Let's hope that it gives him what they call a chip. That would most likely help him. The knock on him, other than bonehead mistakes on the field, is that he is not a strong presence. I get the feeling that he might have been pushed by all of the offseason attacks. At least at this point he's talking in a way that I feel shows more of a "manly" approach than a subservient one.

I agree with your last statement though. He needs to work on some things. That's obvious. Let's not forget that he has shown the ability to play in this league. The 4th quarter come backs of 2010 were impressive. Now if we can just get this guy to play well for an entire game we might have something.

1. Woody was in the locker room with Sanchez for 2 seasons and LT for 2 seasons. They've been in enough locker rooms to know when a player has to earn getting and keeping a starting job, and when one is being coddled into never having to compete with someone else for the job.

2. There's nothing "manly" about calling out people on the team who will be disciplined if they respond in kind. That's the reason some make comments anonymously. I'm not a fan of it, and prefer they keep all this stuff in-house, but I can understand it since no amount of sucky play or public sulking got Sanchez out of the lineup while we lost winnable games.

3. I don't care if he's "pushed" or not. QB isn't a strength & endurance type position where grunting it out leads to play. He just flat-out needs to be better and the rest of this leadership and controlling the huddle stuff falls into place. A team will follow a good QB as long as he isn't the biggest complete tool on earth, and Sanchez certainly isn't the biggest tool on earth.

Does anyone really give a sh*t what Mark Sanchez has to say about Brian Shottenheimer ? Even if he hated the guy hes not going to come out and say it so wtf does any of this mean ? I think we will get our answer on sh*tty when he totally destroys Bradford but Im not sure Jeff Fisher is stupid enough to let that get out of hand.

That's the way to cover the "what if Bradford doesn't suck" angle. Fisher "won't let" Schitty and his dang playbook/play calls/game plans do it.

1. Woody was in the locker room with Sanchez for 2 seasons and LT for 2 seasons. They've been in enough locker rooms to know when a player has to earn getting and keeping a starting job, and when one is being coddled into never having to compete with someone else for the job.

2. There's nothing "manly" about calling out people on the team who will be disciplined if they respond in kind. That's the reason some make comments anonymously. I'm not a fan of it, and prefer they keep all this stuff in-house, but I can understand it since no amount of sucky play or public sulking got Sanchez out of the lineup while we lost winnable games.

3. I don't care if he's "pushed" or not. QB isn't a strength & endurance type position where grunting it out leads to play. He just flat-out needs to be better and the rest of this leadership and controlling the huddle stuff falls into place. A team will follow a good QB as long as he isn't the biggest complete tool on earth, and Sanchez certainly isn't the biggest tool on earth.

Ok... so just say this Sperm. " Nothing that is said or done in the offseason concerning our offense will make me think anything differently. I am stuck here and will stay here until Sanchez wins the superbowl" That would pretty much take care of everything.

I don't disagree with you about the play of our QB. Everyone knows he has to play better. Getting him players that are here for more than ten min might help the cause.

Where we disagree is that Woody didn't say one thing when he was on the team and we were winning. He has a job now. His job is to talk. The Jets were the thing to talk about so he gave an "inside" scoop. LT's statements were absurd. " I think that maybe Sanchez might probably ask for a trade if Manning was signed" . He's a tool who is talking, and not well by the way, to try and create a career for himself now that his former career is over.

Coddled.... Who cares? What does that even mean? Does it mean Rex sleeps in the same bed as him so he doesn't get scared of monsters? Do they make sure he washes his hands when he comes in from playing outside? He plays in NY. Coddled is not a word I would use for the QB of the NY Jets man. He lives in a pool of sharks and has had success.

He hasn't had a viable backup... yeah I get it. Sanchez was starting no matter who we had in there. If you don't believe that you're just being silly. He was the 5th pick in the draft that we traded up to get. You think we're going to have a guy come in and beat him?

Jack trudeau outplayed Boomer Esiason in the preseason back in the day throwing bombs to stevie anderson. Boomer started anyway. And stevie anderson never saw the light of day during the reg season. Lamont Jordan was supposed to be better than Curtis Martin. Everyone wanted him in and curtis out. It's all bologna..

Sanchez is our Qb. We'd all better get used to it. All I was really saying is it sounded like Sanchez's attitude was getting a little harder IMO. That's a good thing you big mean guy you.

Ok... so just say this Sperm. " Nothing that is said or done in the offseason concerning our offense will make me think anything differently. I am stuck here and will stay here until Sanchez wins the superbowl" That would pretty much take care of everything.

I don't disagree with you about the play of our QB. Everyone knows he has to play better. Getting him players that are here for more than ten min might help the cause.

Where we disagree is that Woody didn't say one thing when he was on the team and we were winning. He has a job now. His job is to talk. The Jets were the thing to talk about so he gave an "inside" scoop. LT's statements were absurd. " I think that maybe Sanchez might probably ask for a trade if Manning was signed" . He's a tool who is talking, and not well by the way, to try and create a career for himself now that his former career is over.

Coddled.... Who cares? What does that even mean? Does it mean Rex sleeps in the same bed as him so he doesn't get scared of monsters? Do they make sure he washes his hands when he comes in from playing outside? He plays in NY. Coddled is not a word I would use for the QB of the NY Jets man. He lives in a pool of sharks and has had success.

He hasn't had a viable backup... yeah I get it. Sanchez was starting no matter who we had in there. If you don't believe that you're just being silly. He was the 5th pick in the draft that we traded up to get. You think we're going to have a guy come in and beat him?

Jack trudeau outplayed Boomer Esiason in the preseason back in the day throwing bombs to stevie anderson. Boomer started anyway. And stevie anderson never saw the light of day during the reg season. Lamont Jordan was supposed to be better than Curtis Martin. Everyone wanted him in and curtis out. It's all bologna..

Sanchez is our Qb. We'd all better get used to it. All I was really saying is it sounded like Sanchez's attitude was getting a little harder IMO. That's a good thing you big mean guy you.

So your take is Woody (and LT for that matter) should have complained to reporters about Sanchez while they were playing alongside him? You would clearly find fault with any player for that (as would I). So they both waited until they weren't on the team anymore to share their opinions. You find fault with them for that as well. Basically your take is that no one is allowed to say anything bad about Sanchez ever, including those who played alongside him for years and know him better - and have known far better elsewhere - than any of us. If it was just one guy then you could make the case for a has-been just seeking attention. When it's many people (some who put their names out there, some who don't) then clearly there is something there.

My guess is these opinions are voiced - not anonymously - in the locker room plenty. When they bring their opinions about Sanchez's lack of anything to the HC they fall on deaf ears. And so they anonymously leave quotes with reporters when the opportunity presents itself. Anonymously because it will cost them money (benched, traded, released, or just not renewed, and then having a cancer-reputation when hitting FA). This is my opinion.

My guess is these opinions are voiced - not anonymously - in the locker room plenty. When they bring their opinions about Sanchez's lack of anything to the HC they fall on deaf ears. And so they anonymously leave quotes with reporters when the opportunity presents itself. Anonymously because it will cost them money (benched, traded, released, or just not renewed, and then having a cancer-reputation when hitting FA). This is my opinion.

I have coached in Little League dugouts, and I can verify for a fact, that this is not how it happens at all.

When players are upset about play time or performance of another, mommy is usually the first to know. Like in Little league, my suggestion is that the majority of players are all too self absorbed about themselves, that it is rare when their attention is diverted to someone else.

That's the way to cover the "what if Bradford doesn't suck" angle. Fisher "won't let" Schitty and his dang playbook/play calls/game plans do it.

And of course we all already know the endless list of excuses that we'll hear when we see the Rams offense doing the same mind-numbingly idiotic things we've seen from the Jets for the past 6 years.

Archived