Cro to Zona

nj meadowlands

How is losing one of the worst ranked CBs in the entirety of the NFL going backwards? Seriously, besides your incessant need to complain, explain how this is such a bad thing?

This. Dee Miliner was ranked 30 players higher than Cro in the CB stats - 30!!!!

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This. Dee Miliner was ranked 30 players higher than Cro in the CB stats - 30!!!!

I believe Walls and Lankster were higher as well.  Cro gave us a number of good years, was a great teammate and Jet throughout his tenure. However, he was not going to be back on anything more than a one year deal due to that hip and if that's the case, I'd rather give Walls the opportunity to compete against a rookie to start.  I feel as though I liked enough of what I saw last year to give him the chance to earn that spot, even if he does lose out to a rookie or vet like Rogers or Samuel on a one year deal.  I think Idzik has it right: fill as many positions as possible with young players who will be with the team for a long-period of time and then plug in one year stop-gaps where you fail to do the former.  For all we know, the team could be very high on their group of CBs and without knowing their thinking, it's extremely shortsighted to think they're just asleep behind the wheel. Just becuase we don't know their plan, it's foolish to assume they don't have one.  

Free agency is supposed to be used to prevent a team from having to draft for need, but suddenly it's looking like a CB in the first or second round for the Jets this year.

It looks like one of the other 6 cb's outside of milliner needs to step up for that #2 spot. Make a name for yourself and protect this house! 

Free agency is supposed to be used to prevent a team from having to draft for need, but suddenly it's looking like a CB in the first or second round for the Jets this year.

Ehh, what's stopping them from having Walls start? If they were content with the caliber of play Cromartie put forth last year, why wouldn't they be satisfied with a superior level of play from someone we just signed for two years?  

Honest question.  What is the deal with June 1 cuts?  In the old days those players were designated differently, but I think anybody can be designated as a June 1 cut earlier.  I think that was a concession to the NFLPA so guys were not getting caught out of a job so late and into camp.  Are there any other days when teams are expected to make financially based cuts - like the start of the league year?  I know some guys are due a bonus (Sanchez) that will dictate their cut date, but are there any other league wide dates?

I don't understand how anybody can be too upset about this, Mrs. Cro aside. Guy wasn't good last year, he was beyond not good, he was terrible. It's no surprise that they're letting him walk. So no, you can't kill Idzik for this move. On the other hand, let's not go sucking his cack just yet either just because he's not Mike Tannenbaum.

At his best he was good, and a good teammate. But how many times did he wiff a tackle? Overall Cro was a disappointment to me. Definitely surprised we didn't resign but I guess it's time to turn the page. We better hit some home runs in this draft or this is going to be a boring, depressing fall. Here's to Dennard and Beckham ( yea fat chance but I rly liked Beckham).

Actually, in all fairness to Cro, he's grown up a bit in that department. They did a big piece on him where he detailed how his accountants and he have set up trusts for each child to go to college and how he can live the life he wants should he have retired that same year.  He also is on the committee that counsels younger athletes coming in to the NFL as well. 

He made be acting like a total bitch right now, but he's matured a fair amount, especially when it comes to finances.

he's upset cause he wanted to comeback to the jets. if he wants to vent his frustration so what. it might be slightly effeminate but whatever

My post? 

Reading your later comments I see you were kidding around. I just don't like that stuff being flung around.

Cro has had money in the past that he's blown through to the point that he couldn't make his child support payments.  Would be the same situation and he'd be just as much of a knucklehead money-wise no matter what his skin color.

If you were just joking around, then forget it & it's all good.  But I wasn't the only one who couldn't tell.

Honest question.  What is the deal with June 1 cuts?  In the old days those players were designated differently, but I think anybody can be designated as a June 1 cut earlier.  I think that was a concession to the NFLPA so guys were not getting caught out of a job so late and into camp.  Are there any other days when teams are expected to make financially based cuts - like the start of the league year?  I know some guys are due a bonus (Sanchez) that will dictate their cut date, but are there any other league wide dates?

I don't know if you can pick as many as you want to designate as a June 1 cut, but I'm in no way certain.  But I thought you could only do it for 1 or 2 players.

The difference, effectively, is that the team can spread out the remaining amortized signing bonus as though the player was cut June 1st, BUT they don't have to pony up any bonuses that would have been due if the team had waited until June to actually do it.

The team gets out of paying a March roster bonus (like in Sanchez's case).

The player gets released earlier and has more time to shop around.  Before the draft, in particular, which can be the difference between a starting job at starter money on 1 team, or a backup job for backup money on another, once a team sees what they got (or didn't get) in the draft.

It probably helps the teams more, as it's chiefly done to get out of paying 7-figure bonuses without having to absorb the accelerated cap hit all in the current season.

If someone really wanted to be part of the team and did not get to do it for whatever reason they do have a right to vent. I do not see anything out of line here.

If someone really wanted to be part of the team, then he should have played for what the Jets offered him.

He shouldn't be equating Arizona's willingness to pay him more, and his desire to take more, with Rex or the Jets loyalty. 

If someone really wanted to be part of the team, then he should have played for what the Jets offered him.

He shouldn't be equating Arizona's willingness to pay him more, and his desire to take more, with Rex or the Jets loyalty. 

You are assuming the JETS made an offer.

Edit: Even if they did not match the one year offer that Zona gave him for whatever reason its ok for a player to vent.

He could have approached Idzik and taken a pay cut to $3M before the Jets cut him.  

Loyalty, lol.  Didn't Idzik advance him even more up-front money as signing bonus in April? Where was his loyalty to the Jets?!? hahahaha

Brian Costello ‏@BrianCoz · 1h

That's it? “@kentsomers: 1-year deal for Cro is worth $3.25 mil base, per source. He can make another $500k if he plays in every game.”

Come on, we can't keep going out there throwing around these huge money contracts as if there's no tomorrow. I mean, $3.25M for a guy that fills a hole on our roster, a guy that knows the system and has performed here? That would put us in #CapHell

#HugeOverpay

Come on, we can't keep going out there throwing around these huge money contracts as if there's no tomorrow. I mean, $3.25M for a guy that fills a hole on our roster, a guy that knows the system and has performed here? That would put us in #CapHell

#HugeOverpay

Does it occur to you that perhaps the Jets didn't want him? If that's all he got then it wasn't about the money.

Reading your later comments I see you were kidding around. I just don't like that stuff being flung around.

Cro has had money in the past that he's blown through to the point that he couldn't make his child support payments.  Would be the same situation and he'd be just as much of a knucklehead money-wise no matter what his skin color.

If you were just joking around, then forget it & it's all good.  But I wasn't the only one who couldn't tell.

Yeah I thought it was a pretty well known running gag..  A subtle jab at the overly sensitive PC crowd.

But Cro as we all know has turned it around.  I remember the article early last season talking about how he's working with a financial advisor to curb his spending which will allow him to live the rest of his life without monetary concerns.  He took a lot of heat but for his past indiscretions but seems to have made a complete 180 both on the field and in his personal life.

If you haven't noticed I like to play around on the board so I wouldn't take my posts all that seriously.  I certainly don't.  With minimal effort I could sound quite rational and even semi-articulate when discussing the NY Jets..  but what fun would that be?

Archived