Matt Simms is still the best QB on the roster IMO

CobraVerde

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still wish Matt Simms were given more of a chance last year.  I hope he remains on the roster.  I do think he's tough and has a good arm (and obviously outstanding pedigree).  I don't think it's a crazy idea to say he could - at least potentially - be the best QB on our roster. 

For the skeptics out there, Kurt Warner was a nobody when he got a chance w/ the Rams years ago. 

RIcky Ray should have been our Kurt Warner.

Simms? Who knows. Would have been nice to see a bigger sample last year.

He seized it in pre-season and then was given like 1 quarter in regular season (in a game where our OL was atrocious).

pre season? really? 

Vets play soft if they play at all, mostly backups play AND teams play vanilla Defenses to the MAX so you cant judge how a QB reads D's etc. .come on

What Geno saw in reg. season vis-a-vis reading D's matt never saw in preseason

im still rooting for him. Im pretty sure he'll beat everyone during training camp and preseason and will be the clear choice again but politics and the GMs hard on for his draft pick will prevent him from making the team. They had better veteran leadership with Mark Brunnell. If Vick was any kind of a leader he's still be playing for Philly. I think it's another splash signing typical of the Jets organization trying to get fans and media off of their back till draft day comes and they decide to give up all their picks to go after Johnny Manziel. You dont' think it could happen?? if not, you dont know this team at all...

good post, I noticed no one bothered to mention any facts, not one person mentioned

that Simms reads well and can manage pretty well at this point, given protection

Simms is a decent qb, you could win with him and he could be pretty good, he might

even get a chance to start if Geno and Vick go down, Bono was great in SF because

he was serviceable but sucked in KC because he didn't have the system or talent.

Simms was way ahead of Geno last year, but Geno is Geno so he plays.

He reminds me a lot of his dad, would like to see what he could do he may

be the next Trent Dilfer.

No. Merely we don't know because when we had the perfect opportunity to find out in real NFL games this idiot HC and FO decided not to out of....I really can think of  no sensible explanation for such stupidity.

You can blame Rex for all sorts of things, but not this. The guy was coaching for his job down the stretch, not for Matt Simms' job. If Idzik wanted an extended look at Simms, he should've got a contract extension done with Rex sooner.

But really, this is all a bunch of nonsense, anyway. What the team got to see instead was Geno Smith rebound at the end of the year, and that's what the new front office was much more interested in seeing. And rightly so. Simms was a leftover UDFA, Geno was a brand new second round pick.

Simms will be fighting for a roster spot again this year, and like others have said, I think he'll lose.

If Matt Simms was any good he would of been 1st on the depth chart at QB. He only played well in preseason vs a bunch of players who wouldn't have football careers in the future probably selling insurance. Its Geno Smiths job to lose his #1 spot on the depth chart and I hope he keeps it because I don't want Mike Vick anywhere near the starting lineup.

good post, I noticed no one bothered to mention any facts, not one person mentioned

that Simms reads well and can manage pretty well at this point, given protection

Simms is a decent qb, you could win with him and he could be pretty good, he might

even get a chance to start if Geno and Vick go down, Bono was great in SF because

he was serviceable but sucked in KC because he didn't have the system or talent.

Simms was way ahead of Geno last year, but Geno is Geno so he plays.

He reminds me a lot of his dad, would like to see what he could do he may

be the next Trent Dilfer.

BASED on what LOL

He has only played in Preseason vs scrubs and vs Vanilla Def, or in games in season when game out of hand and scrubs in or opposing team was playing vanilla Def cause game was over.

You realize vanilla Preseas D's or D's in games when game out of hand provide ZERO opposition and knowledge of how to read defenses/coverages like Geno saw in season

I'm baffled by 1/2 what I read here sometimes

Matt may well be great but he hasnt had ANY pure defenses yet in multi hidden schemed Ds like Geno has..

Nobody knows what the future will bring.  Geno was great in college, Simms lost his starting job in college and was signed as an UDFA.  Simms will have to show again he's the best QB in training camp, and if he does the Jets will definitely have a decision to make.  Anything can happen.

You can blame Rex for all sorts of things, but not this. The guy was coaching for his job down the stretch, not for Matt Simms' job. If Idzik wanted an extended look at Simms, he should've got a contract extension done with Rex sooner.

But really, this is all a bunch of nonsense, anyway. What the team got to see instead was Geno Smith rebound at the end of the year, and that's what the new front office was much more interested in seeing. And rightly so. Simms was a leftover UDFA, Geno was a brand new second round pick.

Simms will be fighting for a roster spot again this year, and like others have said, I think he'll lose.

Agree to disagree. Saw nothing wonderful in Smith in those last 2 games against ghastly defenses. May be it was not entirely Ryan's decision. One or both of those games shoulds have gone to Simms after a week with the 1s to see if he may be a player. Ryan was scared to death to let Smith pass unless there was no other option. Alas the idiots who run this team were more worried about ....again I hav no idea nor sensible explanation why they didn't play Simms. December for a team not competing for a playoff spot should be a time to experiment, see what you have talent-wise. There was no downside to playing Simms. ANd simply don;t care when Smith was drafted, he is not and will never be an NFL QB. If he played at a school that did not feature Tayvon Austin he would've been a low round draft pick. The worst case scenario is Simms is not a plyer and you get a higher draft order. Would that have been so bad? And upside is that he might in fact be an NFL QB, which Smith is not.

simms has arm talent, but he is very raw

This

I thought Simms sucked at Tenn, and still sucked his first year with the Jets, and was stunned he was still on the roster last year.  He showed a great deal of improvement last year.  I'm very curious to see where he is this year. 

kids got a cannon, but i dont see how you can say hes better then geno or vick. theres a reason hes undrafted and barely started at college

A player can't improve?  The light can't suddenly go on?  And we're talking about Phil Simms' son here.  Pedigree.

If Idzik were smart he would whack this kid too. Be done with it.

It wouldn't matter.  Get rid of Simms and whoever the new 3rd QB is takes his place as the "best QB" who just isn't being given a shot.

It's not like we haven't seen it before.

A player can't improve?  The light can't suddenly go on?

Indeed it can, and it does every now and then.  Simms has training camp to convince the Jets he should start.  Marty is no stranger to letting outsiders in-he was behind Nick Foles two years ago, and look how Foles blossomed when given the chance.

• 4 months later...

Still is IMO. i wont change my mind. remember youre the one who brought the thread up. I was gonna keep it to myself but now i am going to love watching all you turncoat on Geno like you turncoat on every QB =) Geno is a two year QB whose proven nothing and Vick is one hit away from retiring. 

Still is IMO. i wont change my mind. remember youre the one who brought the thread up. I was gonna keep it to myself but now i am going to love watching all you turncoat on Geno like you turncoat on every QB =) Geno is a two year QB whose proven nothing and Vick is one hit away from retiring. 

The entire premise of fawning over the 3rd string QB is that you've prematurely given up on the other QBs, but yeah, everyone else is a "turncoat". LOL

Every player in the NFL is one hit away from retiring.

Simms has proven FAR less than Geno, with an additional season to do so.

Keep the logic coming... 

im still rooting for him. Im pretty sure he'll beat everyone during training camp and preseason and will be the clear choice again but politics and the GMs hard on for his draft pick will prevent him from making the team. They had better veteran leadership with Mark Brunnell. If Vick was any kind of a leader he's still be playing for Philly. I think it's another splash signing typical of the Jets organization trying to get fans and media off of their back till draft day comes and they decide to give up all their picks to go after Johnny Manziel. You dont' think it could happen?? if not, you dont know this team at all...

I'll say this - I wish he had gotten more of a chance in the regular season last year.  He deserved it w/ how terrible Geno played for long stretches.  This is clearly Geno's team and I think he deserves this year to see what he's made of.  But I hope Simms makes the team again and who knows what will happen if he gets a legit chance.  I am a fan of Matt Simms (at least right now).

I think we all know Vick is the best QB on the roster, but if we have to endure another season of a pathetic offense I'd rather see Simms running the show to see if he has any upside.  I know Geno has nothing already.

I am not nearly as down on Geno as you are.  You have to remember that he was thrust into the starting role unexpectedly when Sanchez got hurt.  It wasn't the least bit surprising he was going to suffer a major learning curve - ESPECIALLY with the horrific weapons he had to work with.  This year he has some experience and some legit receiving options so let's see how things play out.  That said, I hope Matt Simms makes the team.  I could see him being a "Cinderella story" kind of QB if injuries hit. 

The entire premise of fawning over the 3rd string QB is that you've prematurely given up on the other QBs, but yeah, everyone else is a "turncoat". LOL

Every player in the NFL is one hit away from retiring.

Simms has proven FAR less than Geno, with an additional season to do so.

Keep the logic coming... 

Your real problem is that you are attached to the label of a "____ string" QB. Someone tells you this guy is first string and you are quick to swallow it up without question. All ive been doing is giving EVERY guy a fair shot. you keep blabbing hoping to get me to like feel insulted for my own decision when youre the one who laughing in an empty theater. Simms played good and the only difference between him and Geno is that Geno is getting more reps soley based on his value as a  draft pick. Get out of here with your logic 

And on Vick being the best QB his health is too much of a risk. 

If only we get to play against 3rd stringers every week.

It's not Simms fault he's playing with and against third stringers. Maybe if he played with the first stringers, he'd be even better.  Yes, it could be the Brett Ratliff syndrome again, but last preseason Simms was amazing over a sustained period of time, where Ratliff was more of a flash in the pan, connecting on bombs to Clowney (another flash in the pan). Plus the pedigree... why can't it be us! (who find the diamond in the rough). I just hope it doesn't end up that we stink again this year (and if we do, it will because of bad qb play), and the only thing I'll have to look forward to is if maybe Simms gets some run. 

Your real problem is that you are attached to the label of a "____ string" QB. Someone tells you this guy is first string and you are quick to swallow it up without question. All ive been doing is giving EVERY guy a fair shot. you keep blabbing hoping to get me to like feel insulted for my own decision when youre the one who laughing in an empty theater. Simms played good and the only difference between him and Geno is that Geno is getting more reps soley based on his value as a draft pick. Get out of here with your logic

And on Vick being the best QB his health is too much of a risk.

My real problem?

LOL

Archived