Geno Smith: I’ve shown flashes of being a Pro Bowl quarterback

JOJOTOWNSELL

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

“I’ve shown flashes of being a Pro Bowl-caliber quarterback, but what we’re looking for here is consistency. The best teams have consistent quarterback play and I realize that and that’s truly what I want to show to the fans and everyone outside the building,” Smith said, via Newsday.

Yeah, 1 perfect pass out of 20 is not called "shown flashes". It's called "shown crap to be considered a bust". 

Jets have a complete offense outside of a QB now. The OL is not terrible either. Geno has every tool available to him in this offense to succeed. He hasn't. No more "we don't' have a #1 WR" excuse. He needs to STFU and put up 158 QB rating the last 3 games to avoid the purge. That would be a flash. 

it's true the FSU legacy is toxic. But still what's the other option? Pass on QB and draft another lineman? The Jets need to take a swing they can't just sit back and look at pitches. 

It starts by hiring the right guy at the top of the organization - whether that's a new GM or HC with final say on personnel.    The Jets made a moderate investment in Geno in rd 2.  The huge mistake was pushing all in with Geno and then passing on every QB except Taj Boyd in the 2014 draft.  

Bridgewater, JFF, Carr, Garoppolo - all upgrades to the most important position on the field.  

Pre-draft there is such a debate on "elite" and so much concern about drafting the wrong QB and then Idzik lays a ******* egg with a Safety who can't cover anyone.    **** it, just draft all the QBs and let them battle it out.   That's what the Cowboys did when they made their run the 90's.   I can't remember who they picked first Aikman or Walsh but I know they used high picks on both.    Seattle traded for Whitehurst and Flynn before drafting Wilson.   

the key is to keep looking until you find the right one.   I ******* hate John Idzik.  

Pro bowler in the Arena League, maybe.

Would have been more endearing to say "in my first 20 games as a pro I learned a lot, but still have a long way to go. However I am committed to out working every other QB in the NFL to keep a spot on this roster".

Yes.  Let me put out a quick note to Gene and Paul and maybe, just maybe LA Kiss finds their franchise QB.

It starts by hiring the right guy at the top of the organization - whether that's a new GM or HC with final say on personnel.    The Jets made a moderate investment in Geno in rd 2.  The huge mistake was pushing all in with Geno and then passing on every QB except Taj Boyd in the 2014 draft.  

Bridgewater, JFF, Carr, Garoppolo - all upgrades to the most important position on the field.  

Pre-draft there is such a debate on "elite" and so much concern about drafting the wrong QB and then Idzik lays a ******* egg with a Safety who can't cover anyone.    **** it, just draft all the QBs and let them battle it out.   That's what the Cowboys did when they made their run the 90's.   I can't remember who they picked first Aikman or Walsh but I know they used high picks on both.    Seattle traded for Whitehurst and Flynn before drafting Wilson.   

the key is to keep looking until you find the right one.   I ******* hate John Idzik.  

there's not enough positive rep for this post. Take a QB every year until you find one. It's one thing to take Geno at a bargain it's another to give him the job "to evaluate"

there was no competition at the QB position. That's on Idzik. The last 2 years. Rex isn't an offensive wonder but he would have let them fight it out. Idzik gave the job to geno Smith. And now we have to watch it?

it's true the FSU legacy is toxic. But still what's the other option? Pass on QB and draft another lineman? The Jets need to take a swing they can't just sit back and look at pitches. 

Florida St.: Quarterback U.

Fischer's only been the OC/HC at FSU for 7ish years, so talking about their QB history isn't that indicative of what Jameis will do. Granted Fischer hasn't had anyone of merit succeed in the NFL (Jamarcus Russell, Matt Flynn, EJ Manuel, Christian Ponder etc.), he's still a hell of a QB coach and runs a complicated pro-style offense.  There's reasons to not take Jameis, going to FSU isn't one of them.

Fischer's only been the OC/HC at FSU for 7ish years, so talking about their QB history isn't that indicative of what Jameis will do. Granted Fischer hasn't had anyone of merit succeed in the NFL (Jamarcus Russell, Matt Flynn, EJ Manuel, Christian Ponder etc.), he's still a hell of a QB coach and runs a complicated pro-style offense.  There's reasons to not take Jameis, going to FSU isn't one of them.

Except it kind of is. FSU is also a dirtbag school that's likely covered up more for Winston than we know, because that's just what they do.

Except it kind of is. FSU is also a dirtbag school that's likely covered up more for Winston than we know, because that's just what they do.

From that standpoint sure, but not from the history of quarterbacks they produced. They've had what, two quarterbacks before Winston since Fischer's been there?  Hardly a history really. The kid's got a lot of red flags and I'm sure more will come out before the draft, but I'd still draft him every chance we got as I'm not ready to trot out Geno, Vick and Locker next year with no one waiting to take the team over from them. Hell, I'd still draft Hundley or Petty later on just to hope one of the darts stick.  

From that standpoint sure, but not from the history of quarterbacks they produced. They've had what, two quarterbacks before Winston since Fischer's been there?  Hardly a history really. The kid's got a lot of red flags and I'm sure more will come out before the draft, but I'd still draft him every chance we got as I'm not ready to trot out Geno, Vick and Locker next year with no one waiting to take the team over from them. Hell, I'd still draft Hundley or Petty later on just to hope one of the darts stick.  

Meh. I disagree. It matters. There is a practicality that you're trying to get at here that I don't think applies. Some institutions produce for some positions and some don't. Some schools are just cursed. FSU is cursed.

Meh. I disagree. It matters. There is a practicality that you're trying to get at here that I don't think applies. Some institutions produce for some positions and some don't. Some schools are just cursed. FSU is cursed.

It does seem to matter and it's something that's always bothered me because it shouldn't.  You have massive coaching overhauls, philosophical changes on both sides of the ball and yet certain schools still produce talent or busts at specific positions.  I'm sure the legacy attracts those specific players to them, like LBs and penn state etc. but part of it is I just don't understand why and that bothers me. I don't trust things I don't understand. 

I havent even seen a flash of mediocrity.

I was watchin aaron rodgers the other night and the difference is night and day.  Now I know rodgers is top 3 in the game but geno is bottom 1.  

id take a chance on many many other qbs at this time from jake locker to hoyer to (gulp)sanchez or foles or RG3 or christian ponder.   you get the idea..ANYONE but geno

Here's what I see as the fundamental flaw in Geno's statement.

QB's only get to the Pro bowl for being consistently good / great. You don't see Pro bowl QB's who had a few great games and a whole lot of so-so.

Showing flashes is exactly what non Pro Bowl QB's do. Sustaining that level is what Pro Bowl QB's do. You can't show flashes of being consistently good!

It was just a very stupid thing to say, You would think that he would work with a PR person on how to project himself. He is a qb in the NFl in NYC. He is ultimaltely responsible for his speech and how he projects himself, but where is his agent and the jets support staff in getting this kid prepared for NY? But who knows, this is the kid that fired his agent on the eve of the draft and showed up for job interviews with headphones on and kept them on during introductions with a coach.

Maybe a new HC coach can get him to focus and improve. The kid has skills that should allow him to play a hell of a lot better than he has this year.

This just sadly confirms that our starting - and pretty much only - QB is too stupid to talk to.

You don't like to see that affliction in defensive tackles, but if your QB has it you're not going to play good football. 

Archived