The cost of trading up?

bergenjets

Based on the chart I found, #1 pick is 3000 points, #2 is 2600, #4 (current Jets spot) is 1800.

To trade up to 2 from 4 would take a mid to low first; up to 1 would be a high first. A lot would depend on the team you're trying to trade with - if they reckon "their guy" will be there at 4, or if they see better value in trading down, you might be OK; if they want to fleece you because they know you want a QB it could cost a lot more.

And personally I wouldn't consider trading Mo for an unknown, high risk QB prospect.

The Jets should end up with pick 3, 4 or 5. What's the cost of getting to number 2 or 3 if they need to move to get Winston or Mariota? Is it worth it to put Mo on the block in such a scenario?

The hell? Mo? u wanna give up a young All-Pro to draft a QB that would still be there with the 5th pick?

If we're trading Mo, I'd rather it be for another pick in the first round.  That way our two picks = two players.  Using him to move up for a risky prospect (at the riskiest position) is asinine.  We are in re-build mode.  That means trading back, and adding more players. 

If we're trading Mo, I'd rather it be for another pick in the first round.  That way our two picks = two players.  Using him to move up for a risky prospect (at the riskiest position) is asinine.  We are in re-build mode.  That means trading back, and adding more players.

This is the kind of logic I generally agree with but, if the Jets new brain trust really thinks Mariota or Winston is a true franchis QB, you have to make the move to get him.

Trading Wilkerson would be an unpopular move, but it could make a lot of sense. Tennessee is the likely trading partner, as they're rumored to be looking to trade for Cutler to fix their QB problem. They're hurting on the DL. In this scenario, they'd get Mo and at #4 be in great position to take the draft's best defensive player as well. Wilkerson is going to be very expensive to resign, as will Sheldon down the road. The defense hasn't dropped off much with Coples filling in for Mo, and he might be cheaper to re-up. They could also look to free agency to sign a guy like Suh. Trading Wilk rather than a pick would save at least one first rounder in such a trade, without really impacting a position of strength much at all, a first rounder they could use at one of their other many needs.

It's something they'd have to consider IF they believe they're getting a franchise QB in return.

Has the chart been updated since the new CBA?  I'd think it's harder to get teams to part with high picks since they're no longer obligated to guarantee tens of millions up front.

The chart has always been just a guide, it always comes down to supply and demand. Trading up for a (potential) franchise QB is always going to be more expensive than trading up for a franchise left tackle.

But yes, with the new CBA high picks are no longer the albatross they used to be.

The cost to move up varies for every choice, the trade value chart is just a tool that is not right for every job.

If one of the top 2 teams decide that a trade offers more value than the qb, then the jets are in the drivers seat as their next trading partner would be ST Louis at 12 (as long as the rumored cutler to Tenn trade does not take place).  As I don't think the skins would move for a qb this year.

If both the teams decide that qb should be the pick, then it would take a rg3 trade to pry either one. 

What team would want to go from 10-12 to #4?

Jets will never be able to trade that pick.

I know right, like that time they were NEVER going to get a first round pick for John Abraham like all the crazy Jets fans were demanding.

What team would want to go from 10-12 to #4?

Jets will never be able to trade that pick.

You got to be kidding, If Wilkenson or Gregory are there  the Saints and Browns would Salivate. I don't think the jets would be able to get the 13th & 16th pick, but I am sure they would get their 2nd and one of their 3rds (theirs or SF for the Steve Johnson trade) 

The jets would be in position to get one of the top tackles, Parker or White at WR, or Trae Waynes.

http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/

According to this cap tracker, the Jets will be (or ARE) in the 3rd best shape, cap wise.  Tennessee is not far behind, coming in at #6.

It's my understanding that if Tennessee trades for Cutler, they will be given the QB and a draft pick.  (They have to technically trade something back, so they would have to give up a later draft pick, say a 7th).  So, just by getting Cutler, they are already putting themselves in a great position to improve their roster at three different positions (the QB position, their first round pick, and the draft pick they get along with Cutler...a 5th rounder perhaps).  

I only bring this up to say that we would be trading up to number 2, to ensure that no other teams trade up to number 2.  Our compensation therefore, only needs to be better than others'.  We are at an advantage because we have the #4 pick to offer....meaning they can rest easy knowing they can draft the best OL, the best pass-rusher, or the draft's best WR. 

I'm not opposed to moving Mo Wilk, I just don't like the circumstance.  Couldn't we offer Percy Harvin, and Kendrick Ellis, and the 4th overall?!  That helps us without hurting us.  We can still trade big Mo, but do it later in the round and pick up one of the top-5 studly WRs to pair with our new QB.  Winston relied on Kelvin Benjamin's high-pointing skill set.  Get him another, similar weapon at the bottom of the first round, there's plenty to choose from this year.  

http://www.spotrac.com/cap-tracker/nfl/

According to this cap tracker, the Jets will be (or ARE) in the 3rd best shape, cap wise.  Tennessee is not far behind, coming in at #6.

It's my understanding that if Tennessee trades for Cutler, they will be given the QB and a draft pick.  (They have to technically trade something back, so they would have to give up a later draft pick, say a 7th).  So, just by getting Cutler, they are already putting themselves in a great position to improve their roster at three different positions (the QB position, their first round pick, and the draft pick they get along with Cutler...a 5th rounder perhaps).  

I only bring this up to say that we would be trading up to number 2, to ensure that no other teams trade up to number 2.  Our compensation therefore, only needs to be better than others'.  We are at an advantage because we have the #4 pick to offer....meaning they can rest easy knowing they can draft the best OL, the best pass-rusher, or the draft's best WR. 

I'm not opposed to moving Mo Wilk, I just don't like the circumstance.  Couldn't we offer Percy Harvin, and Kendrick Ellis, and the 4th overall?!  That helps us without hurting us.  We can still trade big Mo, but do it later in the round and pick up one of the top-5 studly WRs to pair with our new QB.  Winston relied on Kelvin Benjamin's high-pointing skill set.  Get him another, similar weapon at the bottom of the first round, there's plenty to choose from this year.  

I believe Ellis is an UFA unless they tag him... which they won't. Douzable is also an UFA. Our DL depth gets weakened next year.

No way they take Harvin for $10 mil next year!

I believe Ellis is an UFA unless they tag him... which they won't. Douzable is also an UFA. Our DL depth gets weakened next year.

No way they take Harvin for $10 mil next year!

Snacks Harrison is a possibility then.  He has value. 

As for Harvin, I don't even know if we could trade him or modify his contract THEN trade him, and what the draft pick compensation to Seattle would look like if we did that.  Technically he would be off of our roster but benefiting from it likely crosses some contract clause.   

The only thing I do know is, Tennessee, if they chose to, could afford it.  

Archived