Idzik Issues Statement

CrazyCarl40

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been meaning to ask you... I get the "It's not Idzik's fault" mentality to some degree, or at least I sympathize with the fact that Rex was forced on him and two years isn't much of a shot.  But, what did we lose in Idzik that isn't easily replaceable?

So far as I can tell, restraint is the only quality there is to like.  The cap cuts of last year were obvious.  The draft has spoken for itself.

So long as the pendulum doesn't swing back to "Tannenbaum," I don't see what we're losing.

Back when it happened, I thought he did a great job getting that #13 pick (and a conditional 4th a year later) for Revis when he only had one interested party. He didn't back down on his demands for a 1st round pick, and in the end got what he wanted.

Some time later, I started to consider that he just got lucky. Only Tampa's stupidity prevented us from pissing away their previous top offer. Idzik may have overplayed his hand and simply got lucky that Tampa didn't lower their 2nd round offer to a 3rd round offer - or retracting all offers outright - instead of upping it to a 1st.

Maybe.

To be honest, I think Woody in fact did get word externally that Idzik wasnt cut out for the job...not as much to do with the draft.

Yeah, I certainly doesn't seem like Idzik has many friends in the industry outside of Schneider, and the things Woody was talking about today sure sounded like he's been talking to someone who knows what they're talking about. Maybe Casserly is already in his ear.

Yeah, I certainly doesn't seem like Idzik has many friends in the industry outside of Schneider, and the things Woody was talking about today sure sounded like he's been talking to someone who knows what they're talking about. Maybe Casserly is already in his ear.

That was the impression I got too. Woody is a total boob, but he actually didnt sound woefully incompetent today for a change.

Agree. He was/is a very respected individual. He got the shaft. The nastiness about this man is ridiculous. In October Johnson liked his longterm vision and plan. Now he is fired. Absurd. Probably would have gotten Quinn to come here.http://www.newsday.com/sports/columnists/bob-glauber/seattle-gm-says-john-idzik-is-right-man-for-jets-1.9729547

His "long term vision and plan" was as simplistic as it gets. No great genius in building thru the draft and not overpaying for free agents, it's his execution that failed. Be it his poor drafts or his inflexibility or both. The guy is simply not cut out for the head man job. He may be intelligent, but he's not someone who demonstrated an ability to think on his feet.

And he didn't get the shaft. He knew what he was signing up for. If he worked with his head coach, or had any real aptitude for the job, he'd still be employed.

Ultimately Idzik left himself so little room for failure, he fell on his own sword. I do think that to a degree his drafts can still become productive if Evans and the kid from Maryland come back strong. God knows Tanny had drafts with 0 starters, we have at least 2 quality kids this year and a DROY last year.

That was the impression I got too. Woody is a total boob, but he actually didnt sound woefully incompetent today for a change.

With this news of a Seattle trip, I'd imagine it's 50/50 that Casserly is already coming on full time in some capacity. Westhoff kind of scoffed at the idea of Casserly just being here as a consultant. I wonder if he'll try and convince Kirchner or Wolf Jr. to come on with the GM title, but answering to him (Casserly) directly. Would be the smart move by Woody.

With this news of a Seattle trip, I'd imagine it's 50/50 that Casserly is already coming on full time in some capacity. Westhoff kind of scoffed at the idea of Casserly just being here as a consultant. I wonder if he'll try and convince Kirchner or Wolf Jr. to come on with the GM title, but answering to him (Casserly) directly. Would be the smart move by Woody.

Wolf Jr looks like the kid from Little Big League. I can't imagine that happens unless his Dad comes back full time.

"Try Hard." - Woody Johnson, at today's press conference when asked to describe Rex Ryan's tenure in one word.

What did you want him to say...

Loudmouth blowhard who didn't give a damn about offense or special teams would have been more accurate but not as polite or considerate

It seems that Schneider might resent the shabby treatment Idzik received from the fan base and the owner here and not be too keen to recommend the job to his current assistant.  Might be enough to scare off Bevell or Quinn too.  Quinn witnessed what some might have called a premature axing of Mangini while he was the DL coach also, so if he has other offers he might want nothing to do with Woody.  At least he is a Jersey guy so that could help.

His "long term vision and plan" was as simplistic as it gets. No great genius in building thru the draft and not overpaying for free agents, it's his execution that failed. Be it his poor drafts or his inflexibility or both. The guy is simply not cut out for the head man job. He may be intelligent, but he's not someone who demonstrated an ability to think on his feet.

And he didn't get the shaft. He knew what he was signing up for. If he worked with his head coach, or had any real aptitude for the job, he'd still be employed.

I got news for you - it's really not complicated. We aren't talking about the invasion of Normandy here. Actually simplicity and more importantly clarity and consistency is what you need. Out of all this hiring of the best minds to recruit a HC and a GM ' the Jets will end up with just two guys who inevitably can suck like so many. A draft impact is supposedly not to be properly evaluated until 3 years down the road except when it comes to Izdik. All good GMs at one time were newbies but the owners were patient. Seattle had two losing seasons before they even had had a winning record. So if the Jets have two losing seasons in a row should we expect billboards and pitchforks again and Woody blowing the whole thing up? Give me a break.

My support was never about Idzik himself, rather it was about what firing him was going to say about the organization as a whole. I thought it was important to make it look like Johnson had some level of conviction with these choices instead of giving the appearance that he lets Manish Mehta influence his decision-making. Running Idzik out of town at this point, imo, makes the organization look silly and wanton, but the assumed presence of Wolf and Casserly attenuates that a little bit. Without them, the future of the organization rests in the hands of Woody Johnson and Neil Glat and Akselrod, which means things were about to get a lot worse for a very long time. That still might be the case. I do like what Johnson said in his presser today, pointing out that firing both men was about trying to ensure a more collaborative environment here in the future. The hope is that Casserly and Wolf sit Woody down and explain to him how the GM position is supposed to work, because the way the organization handled Idzik+Rex was an abomination.

Firing him was the only option the organization as a whole had.  That was not a mistake and is a move of strength.  The mistakes made were two-fold.  Firstly, forcing Rex on a GM.  Second, Idzik keeping Rex for more than one season.  Once Idzik kept Rex, they were tied together, and once one had to go, the other did too.  You couldn't fire Rex and keep Idzik, because after two bad seasons, at most, you give him one more, but then you have a coach for one season and you either fire him, or force him on the next GM, and repeat.  Obviously you can't fire Idzik and keep Rex, because then no one will take the job, and you might as well make Rex the GM, team president, et al.

I got news for you - it's really not complicated. We aren't talking about the invasion of Normandy here. Actually simplicity and more importantly clarity and consistency is what you need. Out of all this hiring of the best minds to recruit a HC and a GM ' the Jets will end up with just two guys who inevitably can suck like so many. A draft impact is supposedly not to be properly evaluated until 3 years down the road except when it comes to Izdik. All good GMs at one time were newbies but the owners were patient. Seattle had two losing seasons before they even had had a winning record. So if the Jets have two losing seasons in a row should we expect billboards and pitchforks again and Woody blowing the whole thing up? Give me a break.

John Idzik was only considered for the Jets job -and not for any other GM job- because he was willing to work with a head coach already on place. Better candidates passed on even interviewing for the job if they had to accept that condition, but not John, he was happy just for the opportunity. The reason for that is also not really complicated: he's not qualified to be an NFL GM, and somewhere deep in his heart, he probably understands that.

He never should've gotten a GM job in the first place. Firing him was more than justified.

He had a solid plan from what I read to build this team.....too bad he has no idea how to carry it out.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

The incoherence of not being able to hire his own coach really doomed Idzik from the beginning. We'll never know if he hired Quinn or someone like that if things might have been different. But he took the job accepting Ryan, so it's on him as much as anyone else. 

I just don't think he did a bad job, other than not standing up to fire Rex last season if that was, indeed, his plan. The Ryan regime never got anything from young talent that wasn't a DL, so I can't write off Idzik's draft classes until I see them under the new coach. It's my belief that 2015 was the year that Idzik was setting up for all along, where his masterstroke would be revealed, and he had the team in position for long term success. No player over the age of 27 is signed long-term, there's some youth with potential here, and all the flotsam is easily disposable. He could have gone out and padded the roster with the DRCs and Brian Hoyers of the league, but to what end? Too eek out a few more 8-8 seasons?

This youth with potential that you are talking about certainly didn't come from Idzick's drafts. That is why he no longer has a job.

The incoherence of not being able to hire his own coach really doomed Idzik from the beginning. We'll never know if he hired Quinn or someone like that if things might have been different. But he took the job accepting Ryan, so it's on him as much as anyone else.

True. He also decided to extend Rex after 2013......he could of fired him then but would of received a lot of criticism since Rex somehow got 8 wins out of that team that was starting WRs that were on the streets Week 1.

His drafting was what did him in IMO.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

What did people expect him to say?  He wished them well and left.  He's probably relieved.  Believe me I was no Idzik fan and I even waved towels for him to go. 

He will go back to doing what he did best.  Managing the salary cap.  He did get us out of a pretty lousy cap situation. He just stunk at drafting.  When most of our 2014 picks didn't make the team I knew there was a major issue.

Sure he will. He can tell them all about his successes here. He can do that over a quick latte at Starbucks.

Starbucks drive thru that he'd be working at right?

"That would 26.84 for the small latte, Mr Sneider. By the way, I was able to keep the Jets under that salary cap in 2013. Would u like a receipt sir? ...here you go, have a great day"

Through the Jets:

“I would like to thank Woody Johnson for the opportunity to work with so many fine individuals in the Jets organization and I wish them well going forward.”

Pretty comical considering his mid-season presser was pretty much an epic fantasy tale.

Shows the guy was a weak sister.  Couldn't come up with anything better than that?

Archived