Why panic now and hire Bowles??

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't win.  Sign Bowles and he screwed up.  Let Bowles sign w/ Atl or Chicago and lose Quinn to Denver and he screwed up.  Panic is signing Eric Mangini or Herm Edwards.  Looking at your top two or three candidates and trying to lock them up isn't a horrible idea.  That being said, I'd prefer they do some backchannel stuff to find out if they have a real shot at Quinn.  If he wants to come home to NJ and Woody is willing to pay, then wait.  If Quinn won't give an answer, look at every option.

Another Bowles thread? Whats so bad about him? Why do you prefer quinn that much more. 

The narrative has already been constructed in many people's minds that all of the Jets/Quinn rumors had to have been the absolute truth, no chance that it was misinformation, and therefore if the Jets hire Bowles it'll be "settling" or "missing out" or whatever. Let them run with it, it's hilarious that there could be this much adamant distinction between two guys we know very little about. 

You're silly if you think Quinn's resume is that much better than Bowles'.

Bowles resume is better. He served as an assistant head coach, and interim head coach, while also serving as a DC with more than one franchise. Quinn has only been a DC with Seattle and a college team.

The narrative has already been constructed in many people's minds that all of the Jets/Quinn rumors had to have been the absolute truth, no chance that it was misinformation, and therefore if the Jets hire Bowles it'll be "settling" or "missing out" or whatever. Let them run with it, it's hilarious that there could be this much adamant distinction between two guys we know very little about.

People are going to bitch no matter who they hire.

Can't win.  Sign Bowles and he screwed up.  Let Bowles sign w/ Atl or Chicago and lose Quinn to Denver and he screwed up.  Panic is signing Eric Mangini or Herm Edwards.  Looking at your top two or three candidates and trying to lock them up isn't a horrible idea.  That being said, I'd prefer they do some backchannel stuff to find out if they have a real shot at Quinn.  If he wants to come home to NJ and Woody is willing to pay, then wait.  If Quinn won't give an answer, look at every option.

This is such a good post, and I'd say it's a given that they have done backchannel stuff to find out about Quinn and that's when they decided to jump ahead of ATL today. 

This thread topic is so dumb. Putting all your eggs into one basket in Quinn when he could possibly be unavailable until after the super bowl and then at the end of the day could just choose another team who needs a hc is a very risky approach.

At a minimum the Jets needs to be seriously vetting and considering other candidates, which it appears they are doing. I see nothing wrong here.

Bowles is the coach i want. Hes proven to be able to do more with less. That Arizona defense was elite despite losing some studs to injury/suspension. His schemes are aggressive and creative.

Quinn has had stacked talent and runs a fairly vanilla defense. Maybe he can be a great defensive coordinator but hes had so much talent to work with in Seattle who really knows

Bowles is the coach i want. Hes proven to be able to do more with less. That Arizona defense was elite despite losing some studs to injury/suspension. His schemes are aggressive and creative.

Quinn has had stacked talent and runs a fairly vanilla defense. Maybe he can be a great defensive coordinator but hes had so much talent to work with in Seattle who really knows

You don't feel those elite talents, who were mostly mid-round picks, were coached up at some point/currently? 

Being a company, a football team or whatever it is that's in public view must be so hard these days. You simply can never please everyone and you will be judged loudly and harshly before any outcome happens. Can we please just let it play out and we'll see what happens?

Haha it's hilarious to me how now the "fans are restless" as the jets still don't have a coach. The jets shouldn't hire an OC before the HC. The jets shouldn't hire a HC without hiring a GM first. Let it all play out. Stop bugging out because the jets are using some due diligence in their process this time. It's like everything has to happen the second someone is on the market or half of jetnation is pissed. I will say this for the 1 millionth time in these forums. (Factually incorrect). The jets fans are part of the overall problem with this franchise.

People are going to bitch no matter who they hire.

Most of the names I've heard yes.. Probably wouldn't bitch about Marrone, and of course not Harbaugh.. but the names we're hearing are underwhelming to say the least..

Doesn't really matter till we get a QB tbh

Francesa is pumping Bowles.  But, what a coincidence, so is Bill Parcells, who wants his son in law to sign him

I saw that, but I try (and succeed) not to let that douche influence any of my opinions.

Watch some Bowles interviews on youtube.  Made me really like the guy, FWIW (which is nothing)

What has Quinn done besides coordinate a defense that was already great without him?

Agreed.  Plus three perennial pro Bowlers in the backfield were there before he was the DC.  

I think Bowles is more accomplished than Quinn and should be at the front of the list.  

Archived