Important Harvin Date

KRL

The day of decision on Harvin is March 19th.  We have to keep him and give up our

4th rounder or cut him and give up our 6th.  Good job by Idzik, it will allow Maccagnan

over a week to investigate the WR market before we have to make a decision:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/jets

There will be a lot of speculation in the coming weeks about the future of wide receiver Percy Harvin, who arrived last October in a trade with the Seattle Seahawks.

The New York Jets face a multilayered decision, one that will be based primarily on his contract ($10.5 million in 2015) and the draft-pick compensation they will owe the Seahawks to complete last October's trade.

Here's what you need to know:

The key date is March 19.

If Harvin remains on the Jets' roster after 4 p.m. on the 10th day of the league year (March 19), the Jets must give their fourth-round draft pick to the Seahawks. If the Jets release him before then, they owe the Seahawks a sixth-round choice.

The Jets were smart to make it March 19. Two reasons:

It gives them nine days to explore wide-receiver options in free agency. If they find a better player than Harvin, they can sign that player, cut Harvin and retain their fourth-round pick. The date also gives them leverage in any renegotiation talks with Harvin. If the Jets want to re-work his deal and he declines, the team can keep him until March 18, meaning he'd miss the first wave of free agency -- when the big money is doled out.

If the Jets keep Harvin on the roster beyond the deadline, it doesn't guarantee his $10.5-million base salary and it wouldn't preclude them from cutting him at a later date. But looking at it from a practical standpoint, it wouldn't make sense to dump a player after committing a fourth-round pick.

What if the Jets try to circumvent the draft-pick upgrade by cutting him before March 19 and re-signing him at a later date? Sorry, that won't work. In other words, if they cut him March 18 and re-sign him at any point before the second day of the draft (May 1), they owe a fourth-rounder to the Seahawks.

In terms of the financials, Harvin's contract no longer contains any guaranteed money, meaning there would be no salary-cap ramifications if they decide to part ways. His salaries after 2015 are $9.9 million, $9.95 million and $11.15 million.

Basically, it's a year-to-year contract, so what the Jets have to decide is this: Do they give up a sixth-round pick for the half-year he gave them in 2014 or do they surrender a fourth-rounder for a minimum of 1 1/2 years?

Interesting decision.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately from the article it doesn't sound like we can cut him, re-sign him and still

keep the 4th rounder.  But at least Maccagnan will have over a week to see if we can

find a better WR before we have to commit to Harvin

Harvin showed little during his stay with the Jets. I especially wanted to shoot him when he kept taking those long kickoffs out of the end zone. I think he did it like three times before the special teams coach woke up and took him off kick return duty. I don't think he made it past the 10 yard line on any of those returns. Cut him loose. He isn't worth the time effort or especially the money.

This will be an intereresting decision based on Chan Gaileys offense.

Gailey likes to work the ball horizontally & Percy benefits by playing in space. Now imagine you add a receiving threat at RB like CJ Spiller & you have instantly upgraded the Jets quick strike ability.

I think we can afford them both & would love to have Amari Cooper fall to us in the draft as 1st rounders don't get paid nearly what they use to before the CBA.

Without having a franchise QB, you need offensive players that can MAKE PLAYS.

You would be able to run for 4/5 wides & 3 WRs & Amaro, where you always have guys that can catch & extend plays.

Decker- Harvin- Kerley- Cooper- Spiller at the skills would be LIGHT YEARS from what we've seen the last 5 years.

Of course if they sign Harvin they might go defense again in the 1st & hope a stud WR lasts until the top of the 2nd where the contract would be even cheaper.

How many players can we afford? As long as they are "younger" FA guys the contracts can be written in a way that spreads the guaranteed money out to soften the blow.

Harvin (1 year 10 mill.)

Spiller?

That's only 2 FAs so far which still leaves quite a bit of money to look for some CBs & LBs.

It's gonna be an interesting offseason.

Gotta keep him IMO.  WIth a decent QB  he can be an impact player, but hopefully  he's willing to re-work the deal.  He's not getting 10 mil anywhere, and the Jets don't need another hole on their roster.

Harvin should be cut

1. The guy is injury prone

2. He's basically an all purpose player that has 2 or 3 WOW games per year, very inconsistent

3. He's not a good WR

4. He's Grossly over paid

5. At some point he will complain and disrupt the team

Do any of these things warrant 10 mil ?

Personally I think Harvin should have been an all purpose back but the problem there is the guy can't take the beating

This is such an easy choice! Do not compound a mistake. Cut your losses, lose the 6th... and dump his trouble-making a$$.

I am still in awe of how many Jets fans cannot see that clown for what he really is.

Locker room cancer.

Overpaid.

Injury-prone.

A glorified bubble-screen receiver that fraudently poses as a deep threat.

Not worth a plugged nickel.

Harvin should be cut

1. The guy is injury prone

2. He's basically an all purpose player that has 2 or 3 WOW games per year, very inconsistent

3. He's not a good WR

4. He's Grossly over paid

5. At some point he will complain and disrupt the team

Do any of these things warrant 10 mil ?

Personally I think Harvin should have been an all purpose back but the problem there is the guy can't take the beating

Ah. Someone that agrees with me.

This is such an easy choice! Do not compound a mistake. Cut your losses, lose the 6th... and dump his trouble-making a$$.

I am still in awe of how many Jets fans cannot see that clown for what he really is.

Locker room cancer.

Overpaid.

Injury-prone.

I think the fact that we've been so WR deprived has something to do with it. To actually have a proven NFL playmaker at that position feels good. You're probably right though. If he restructures his deal I'd welcome him back however.

I think the fact that we've been so WR deprived has something to do with it. To actually have a proven NFL playmaker at that position feels good. You're probably right though. If he restructures his deal I'd welcome him back however.

Agree to disagree. I would not want a guy like him on a rebuilding club with a first-time, new head coach at any price. Not even if he was free. As soon as he doesn't like something he will undermine Bowles. Our new coach needs hard working committed guys. Not guys that will whine and/or pick fights.

Absolutely must be cut.

Too expensive for his talent ($$$ wise)

Too expensive to retain (Draft Pick wise).

Not remotely a good enough WR to fill the #1/#2 spots.

Bad mid-season trade was bad, typical Idzik tbh.  Way too little, far too late.

We can do better, for cheaper.  The 6th is the sunk cost, such is life.

Locker room cancer.

Overpaid.

Injury-prone.

and when was he a cancer in the Jets locker room?

and how many games did he miss with the Jets because of injury?

and then name the more talented WR that the Jets can realisticlly replace him with?

Harvin only around 2-3 mil over paid, not a lot when there is no guaranteed money...  

Guy will flurish in Chan's offense.

and when was he a cancer in the Jets locker room?

and how many games did he miss with the Jets because of injury?

and then name the more talented WR that the Jets can realisticlly replace him with?

Harvin only around 2-3 mil over paid, not a lot when there is no guaranteed money...

Guy will flurish in Chan's offense.

Yeah... Holmes wasn't a cancer in 2010 either. Look at his track record. I mean really look. Trouble in HS. Trouble at Florida. Trouble in Minny. Trouble in Seattle.

What in the hell could make you think he will be any different now?

And it's "flourish."

Yeah... Holmes wasn't a cancer in 2010 either. Look at his track record. I mean really look. Trouble in HS. Trouble at Florida. Trouble in Minny. Trouble in Seattle.

What in the hell could make you think he will be any different now?

because he has no guaranteed money.

and he knows he will not get paid this much by anyone else.   Like all players, its all about the money. 

Agree to disagree. I would not want a guy like him on a rebuilding club with a first-time, new head coach at any price. Not even if he was free. As soon as he doesn't like something he will undermine Bowles. Our new coach needs hard working committed guys. Not guys that will whine and/or pick fights.

Sincere curiosity : Was the "not even if he was free" remark an exaggeration?

because he has no guaranteed money.

and he knows he will not get paid this much by anyone else. Like all players, its all about the money.

That huge contract in Seattle must have motivated him to undermine Russell Wilson and go psycho on Golden Tate.

Sincere curiosity : Was the "not even if he was free" remark an exaggeration?

No... it wasn't. He might be worth a couple of mil to a team that is a player or two away. Seattle didn't even think he was worth the headache. New head coach and rebuilding team? Not even for free. Seriously.

Harvin showed little during his stay with the Jets. I especially wanted to shoot him when he kept taking those long kickoffs out of the end zone. I think he did it like three times before the special teams coach woke up and took him off kick return duty. I don't think he made it past the 10 yard line on any of those returns. Cut him loose. He isn't worth the time effort or especially the money.

What ya mean????  WHEN he was on the field - he was by far the best player on the Jets O.  Any chance we can keep him for less money the better.

So if the JETS cut him, let him test the market and re-sign to a lesser deal they are off the hook for that 4th rounder ?

I would prefer that route because no one is paying him 10 plus mill.

Yes but he may go to a team with a qb on a one year deal and then try to hit it big in 2016. My guess is that he goes to Oakland.

Unless the jets can sign Thomas or Cobb at the beginning of FA, I say keep him.

Yes, he's overpaid. But the jets have the room.

Yes, it's a 4th round pick. Harvin will contribute far more in 2015 than a 4th round pick

No, don't restructure. That would almost certainly mean guaranteeing him money and causing a cap hit if we need to release him. Right now he's essentially on a series of one year deals where the jets can cut him at any time without any cost.

Cutting him without replacing him in FA would be a mistake IMO

Absolutely must be cut.

Too expensive for his talent ($$$ wise)

Too expensive to retain (Draft Pick wise).

Not remotely a good enough WR to fill the #1/#2 spots.

Bad mid-season trade was bad, typical Idzik tbh.  Way too little, far too late.

We can do better, for cheaper.  The 6th is the sunk cost, such is life.

Nope.  No guaranteed money and the cap is going up big time.

Harvin is a proven commodity we know what he can do when healthy sign the beast. 

I agree , right now he's our only offensive  player other DC's have to worry about. Used correctly by Chan he could be the best weapon we've had on O in a very long time. 

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=nflnation&id=145402&src=desktop

Percy Harvin's long list of troubles, from high school to Seattle

By Rich Cimini | October 18, 2014 2:45:29 PM PDT

Percy Harvin is a talented-but-troubled player with a history of anger management issues. He also has been described as a malcontent who will get in the face of quarterbacks and coaches if things don't go his way. Two organizations, the Seattle Seahawks and Minnesota Vikings, already have given up on him.

Harvin

At 1-6, the New York Jets were desperate for a playmaker, so they decided to trade for the high-priced wide receiver. It was a stunning move, with some at One Jets Drive expressing concern that Harvin won't respond well in a losing environment. Others see it as a worthwhile, low-cost acquisition that could spark the offense.

A look at Harvin's history of transgressions:

Harvin might have sealed his fate with the Seahawks in last week's loss to the Dallas Cowboys, refusing to play late in the game, the Seattle Times reported. He played 26 of 48 snaps on offense but didn't play 11 of the final 17. He touched the ball six times for minus-1 yard.

Curiously, this story didn't break until Friday, but several media outlets reported that Harvin had an altercation with fellow receiver Golden Tate leading up to the Super Bowl last February. Tate ended up with a black eye.

In the preseason, Harvin and teammate Doug Baldwin were involved in a scuffle that resulted in a gash on Baldwin's chin, the Times reported. Both players were excused from practice that week.

Harvin's time in Minnesota, 2009 to 2012, was filled with a number of incidents. One played out on national television, with Harvin screaming at then-coach Leslie Frazier on the sideline during a game in Seattle in 2012. Weeks later, Harvin reportedly got into another argument with Frazier that was witnessed by some players and staff members.

Harvin also had disputes with Frazier's predecessor, Brad Childress. One such altercation occurred in 2010, when Childress questioned Harvin's effort in practice. Harvin, limping with an apparent ankle injury, took exception, and the two had to be separated by players and coaches, according to reports. Another time, they got into a shouting match in the weight room, which included Harvin throwing a weight at Childress. It put a hole in the wall.

In 2009, Harvin reportedly tested positive for marijuana at the NFL scouting combine. That didn't stop the Jets from showing interest. In fact, they flew to Florida the week of the draft to spend private time with Harvin. After trading up for quarterback Mark Sanchez, they tried to trade back into the first round for Harvin, but then-general manager Mike Tannenbaum deemed the price too steep.

Harvin also had problems in college at Florida. He tested positive for marijuana, refused to run the stadium steps with other teammates during a conditioning session, and attacked wide receivers coach Billy Gonzales, according to The Sporting News. Harvin threw Gonzales to the ground by his neck, according to the report.

Harvin is regarded as one of the greatest high school athletes from the Virginia Beach, Virginia, area, but Harvin encountered trouble in his early years. He was suspended twice, once for unsportsmanlike contact and another time for contacting an official and using inappropriate language. In the spring of his senior year, when he ran track, he was banished by the local high school sports association, reportedly stemming from a fight during a basketball game.

Read the above Harvin history. He is proven to be something alright.... but I don't think commodity is the right word.

Harvin like many other NFL players has had issues in the past. In his short stint last year with the Jets i dont recall reading or hearing of any on or off the field issues. Why so much hate for an explosive player than can help this team win games. 

Unless the jets can sign Thomas or Cobb at the beginning of FA, I say keep him.

Yes, he's overpaid. But the jets have the room.

Yes, it's a 4th round pick. Harvin will contribute far more in 2015 than a 4th round pick

No, don't restructure. That would almost certainly mean guaranteeing him money and causing a cap hit if we need to release him. Right now he's essentially on a series of one year deals where the jets can cut him at any time without any cost.

Cutting him without replacing him in FA would be a mistake IMO

yes^

Archived