Least Favorite Offseason Move?

AFJF

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are mistaken.

Mac badly wanted to sign Iupati, who was to be the team's the top priority once FA officially began. He chose Arizona.

The backup plan was (reportedly) Orlando Franklin, who signed with SD.

Carpenter was the backup plan to the backup plan, or Mac's #3 choice, and was only signed after Iupati and Franklin signed - or announced they would sign - with other teams.

The press reports were that we went after Franklin first.  It may have been because it was anticipated he was cheaper, but they reached out to Franklin and Iupati, who both signed elsewhere before they went after Carpenter.

The press reports were that we went after Franklin first.  It may have been because it was anticipated he was cheaper, but they reached out to Franklin and Iupati, who both signed elsewhere before they went after Carpenter.

That's how I remember it too...saw several reports of them going after Franklin before any mention of pursuing Iupati.

I would have given up a lot for Foles.

Our team looks very good on paper, but with out a legitimate QB, we are 8-8 at best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kelley needed a QB to be part of the deal. A QB he liked better than Foles.

We weren't getting Foles

Harris' contract 

Trading down, missing out on Eli Harold and receiving Devier Posey, whose probably going to make the team over someone who deserves it. Really want Owusu and Enunwa to make the team and I have a feeling one of them will be cut because Mac likes Posey.

Liked a lot more than I didn't like

I figured the dozen or so "Jets won the offseason" threads gave people the chance to discuss what it was they liked most about what has been an incredible few months...JMO of course.

which is fine but I seen plenty negative opinions stated in those threads too. No harm done brother.. I just hate to be nit picky like most of the fans are by nature lmaooo.

Cromartie is a lot better than Jet fans give him credit for. He had the misfortune of playing alongside Darrelle Revis while both were Jets, which made him look bad in comparison, but he's been a really good corner aside from the season where he had the hip injury.

which is fine but I seen plenty negative opinions stated in those threads too. No harm done brother.. I just hate to be nit picky like most of the fans are by nature lmaooo.

As fans we can be very nit picky...but I was thinking the other day about the fact that we know some of these moves won't work out...nobody gets it right all the time so curious as to who the fans think will end up being a bad move when all is said an done.

I was only going by a couple of articles. I wasn't there myself.

Cromartie is a lot better than Jet fans give him credit for. He had the misfortune of playing alongside Darrelle Revis while both were Jets, which made him look bad in comparison, but he's been a really good corner aside from the season where he had the hip injury.

He has had the hip injury since at least 2009.  People were calling for him to be benched in SD as far back as 2008.  Statistically he has been up and down.  The eye test seemed to back that up.  Around here he is polarizing - either we love him for picking up the slack when Revis went down or think he is a scrub for giving up all those TDs in 2013. 

The trade-down was ok, especially if Harrison turns into something. I'd have preferred staying put at 70 and taking OO though. I wonder if we thought he'd still be there at 82.

Pretty sure the pick they used to move up for Petty was also picked up in that trade. If he defies the odds and develops into even a top half starting QB, that will've been a great trade.

Fans will be comparing Mauldin to O.O. and Harold for years to come.

Pretty sure the pick they used to move up for Petty was also picked up in that trade. If he defies the odds and develops into even a top half starting QB, that will've been a great trade.

Fans will be comparing Mauldin to O.O. and Harold for years to come.

This.

Maudlin will be a fan favorite by end of season.

What makes you so confident of that?

There was a lot of pre-free agency press saying that as a guy who was born and raised on the west coast, had only played for the niners and loved home he'd stay on that side of the country.  I'm sure he could have been persuaded but it would  have likely meant grossly over-paying him.

I'll give the worst offseason non-move: retaining Jeff Cumberland. What a waste of a roster spot.

The nice thing is we can cut him at any time and save $1.9M in cap space, without any cap penalties.  He's a nice little insurance policy if Amaro gets hurt.  Gailey uses 2-TE sets less than just about any OC out there so he's somewhat expensive for someone who probably won't see the field much at all, but this one seems mostly inconsequential.

There was a lot of pre-free agency press saying that as a guy who was born and raised on the west coast, had only played for the niners and loved home he'd stay on that side of the country.  I'm sure he could have been persuaded but it would  have likely meant grossly over-paying him.

Yeah I really do not think the Jets were in play for him-

I'm not that torn about missing out on Iupati, in theory, plugging Carpenter in between Brick and Mangold should be enough to make him look better than he might be. He's a solid addition, certainly not the worst move we made.

The worst move we made was coming into this season with Geno and Fitz as the 2 QB options. More should have been done to fix the QB situation. Everything else looks better if the QB isn't a bum... and I say this as someone that thinks Fitz can help us win 10 games if his leg is right and he picks up where he left off last year. 

A couple of points, first this thread should clearly include a trigger warning for sensitive Jets fans.... that being said my least favorite move was the RBs that were brought in.  Not addressing the need for a 3rd down RB that can block and catch passes out of the backfield seemed ill advised.  However, as a whole this off-season has me very excited for this year... 

He did, but that was backing off somewhat.  Maybe just splitting hairs, but Gailey said no competition because Geno is the starter unless there's an injury.  Bowles basically said injury isn't the only way he wouldn't start.

I think Gailey simply misspoke.  The facts as Bowels explains them are that only one QB gets first team reps.  Gailey might have felt that "competition" implies splitting first team reps.  Bowels clearly doesn't.  

Frankly Bowels approach makes a ton more sense to me.  The starter should get all the first team reps.  The challenger has to come from behind from the 2nd team.  IMHO, if Fitz is healthy and Geno doesn't elevate his game then Fitz will overtake him.        

I think Gailey simply misspoke.  The facts as Bowels explains them are that only one QB gets first team reps.  Gailey might have felt that "competition" implies splitting first team reps.  Bowels clearly doesn't.  

Frankly Bowels approach makes a ton more sense to me.  The starter should get all the first team reps.  The challenger has to come from behind from the 2nd team.  IMHO, if Fitz is healthy and Geno doesn't elevate his game then Fitz will overtake him.        

That was my initial reaction but watched it a couple times and in my opinion he didn't mince words.  When a coordinator says there's no competitoin becuase he's the starter barring injury it's pretty cut and dry IMO. Odd that they didn't communicate to the point where they'd be on the same page.

Agreed...big picture...who cares...put him out there to play and if he doesn't show improvement, you go to Fitz and keep working with Petty.

gathered too many secondary personell as an overreaction to last years debacle in that area. Acquisition of Revis would have been enough, didn't need Cro, Buster, etc. Would have taken a shot that out of McDougal or Milliner or some other guy on the roster from last year, another good corner would have emerged. Instead, we are overloaded there for no good reason.

That was my initial reaction but watched it a couple times and in my opinion he didn't mince words.  When a coordinator says there's no competitoin becuase he's the starter barring injury it's pretty cut and dry IMO. Odd that they didn't communicate to the point where they'd be on the same page.

Agreed...big picture...who cares...put him out there to play and if he doesn't show improvement, you go to Fitz and keep working with Petty.

Again when he said Geno is the starter barring injury, in his mind he might very well have meant that Geno is the one getting ALL the first team reps.  Hopefully first team and starter are interchangeable in Gailey's mind.  At least I pray that's the case.  I don't like any of the other interpretations, one of which is that Gailey is showing signs of age.        

gathered too many secondary personell as an overreaction to last years debacle in that area. Acquisition of Revis would have been enough, didn't need Cro, Buster, etc. Would have taken a shot that out of McDougal or Milliner or some other guy on the roster from last year, another good corner would have emerged. Instead, we are overloaded there for no good reason.

Like Rex, Bowles needs corners for his defense to thrive. Not that anyone loved him, but don't forget they let Kyle Wilson walk, too. They needed a slot guy, and they needed a starter opposite Revis. If McDougle or Milliner can stay on the field and prove himself, then Cromartie probably becomes an expensive one year rental. Going into the season relying on that happening would've been a mistake.

Archived