Destroying a qbs confidence

kmnj

keep hearing we cant start petty because we will ruin him and destroy his confidence-what a bunch of garbage you either have it or you dont as far as the mental toughness needed to make it in this league. Do you really think if Rodgers or Brady started right away it would have ruined them? I keep hearing they are the reasons to wait. It did not ruin Aikman or Peyton-Brady who  is god like , would have been the same no matter when he was given his shot-same with Rodgers.

there are have been tons of rookie qbs that were thrown into the fire and lost almost every game and it did not destroy anything if they were mentally tough-we have a fairly good line too so it is not like he is just going to drop back and get killed back there

Lets see what Petty can do-throw him out there vs the sh*tty jaqs-best chance to see what he has got-if it goes poorly you can sit him back down again but one game wont ruin anything.

I would MUCH rather see a guy that knows the offense QB our team than some ultra scrub nobody wants-or take a flyer on Kapernick for the rest of they year if Geno and Fitz are done if they can some how dump his salary

I don't think it has as much to do with confidence as it does with understanding the offense.   There was a whole thread somewhere about the college 'spread' and 'air raid' offenses and the transition to the NFL.   These offenses are predicated on reading 1 or 2 defensive players, not the entire defense and the transition to the NFL is as much mental as it is physical.  

When you watch the #1 overall pick struggle with the transition how do you expect a mid-round, air-raid QB to succeed?    

keep hearing we cant start petty because we will ruin him and destroy his confidence-what a bunch of garbage you either have it or you dont as far as the mental toughness needed to make it in this league. Do you really think if Rodgers or Brady started right away it would have ruined them? I keep hearing they are the reasons to wait. It did not ruin Aikman or Peyton-Brady who  is god like , would have been the same no matter when he was given his shot-same with Rodgers.

there are have been tons of rookie qbs that were thrown into the fire and lost almost every game and it did not destroy anything if they were mentally tough-we have a fairly good line too so it is not like he is just going to drop back and get killed back there

Lets see what Petty can do-throw him out there vs the sh*tty jaqs-best chance to see what he has got-if it goes poorly you can sit him back down again but one game wont ruin anything.

I would MUCH rather see a guy that knows the offense QB our team than some ultra scrub nobody wants-or take a flyer on Kapernick for the rest of they year if Geno and Fitz are done if they can some how dump his salary

There is actually a very good chance that if Rodgers had started right away he would have sucked. He turned into a completely different QB sitting behind Favre. He even completely changed his throwing motion.

I am not worried about hurting his confidence, in that regard I agree with you, that is the most overblown lame excuse for poor performance of all time.  He is a raw raw rookie and you do not throw seasons away at 4-3 by 'seeing what player x,y,z can do'.  We have to see how the injuries pan out, Fitz #1, if he can't go Geno #2. 

Agreed.  Especially if its just for a couple of games.  Its ridiculous to think forcing him into action for a start or 2 to hold the fort during an injury is going to ruin him.  If he's that fragile, then he'll never make it.

I think the ideal situation would be to find a veteran, somehow/someway, assuming Fitz and Geno cant go but if one isnt available, start the kid.  I dont think we'll see his brain literally explode on the field because the poor kid isnt ready.

Agreed.  Especially if its just for a couple of games.  Its ridiculous to think forcing him into action for a start or 2 to hold the fort during an injury is going to ruin him.  If he's that fragile, then he'll never make it.

I think the ideal situation would be to find a veteran, somehow/someway, assuming Fitz and Geno cant go but if one isnt available, start the kid.  I dont think we'll see his brain literally explode on the field because the poor kid isnt ready.

Agreed. I said it before, if Fitz or Geno can't go, it has to be Petty.

There is actually a very good chance that if Rodgers had started right away he would have sucked. He turned into a completely different QB sitting behind Favre. He even completely changed his throwing motion.

While I understand, and relate to the OP point, using Aaron Rodgers as an example isn't the correct way to try, and prove this point.  The Packers completely broke Rodgers down, and started from scratch on how to throw a football. 

Also last year Bowles was part of a coaching staff that refused to put the kid from VaTech in at QB because they thought it was completely unfair to ask him to start in the NFL because he wasn't ready, so if Bowles feels the same way about Petty I can see him doing the same.  I forget the kids name on Arizona that I'm talking about,  but Arians thought he was by far the most talented, but still didn't think it was fair to ask him to go in their, and try, and lead the Cardinals to the playoffs with his inexperience.

I don't think it is about destroying confidence, any QB on this team is in a good spot w/ a good OL, good run game and good weapons to throw to.  The question for Petty is about him being ready? we don't want to rush him if he is not ready to handle being a starting QB in this league.

Also last year Bowles was part of a coaching staff that refused to put the kid from VaTech in at QB because they thought it was completely unfair to ask him to start in the NFL because he wasn't ready, so if Bowles feels the same way about Petty I can see him doing the same.  I forget the kids name on Arizona that I'm talking about,  but Arians thought he was by far the most talented, but still didn't think it was fair to ask him to go in their, and try, and lead the Cardinals to the playoffs with his inexperience.

good post!

it's posturing before the trade deadline

Logan Thomas was a huge project. Literally.

While I understand, and relate to the OP point, using Aaron Rodgers as an example isn't the correct way to try, and prove this point.  The Packers completely broke Rodgers down, and started from scratch on how to throw a football. 

And Petty hasn't had a playbook, apparently, since high school. 

What a bunch of sissies! This is SPORTS. Next man up. If he has to play he has to play. Hopefully he wants to and is lobbying for the job. Otherwise it's a waste of a pick.

Agreed... all the BS about his readiness.    If you bring in a journeyman in FRONT of him, I would argue that would be as big an insult as any move.

Geno was 8-8 his rookie year game one.  

ok

list all of the rookie 3rd string QB's who became successful playing in their rookie year

please don't include any 1st or 2nd round draft picks who got all the 1st team reps in mini camp and training camp and were named the starter as that is not petty's case

He was marginal in college, adequate against scrubs in preseason, but yea, 8 weeks of no meaningful NFL  snaps or reps with anyone on the starting 11 has really developed him to taking over our 4-3 team. You bring in a vet for this very reason. Bowles addresses this question the beginning of the season and answered it exactly like Arians did regarding Logan Thomas. It's either Geno or someone not on our team starting this Sunday.  

It had nothing to do with confidence, they refused to start him because he stunk at practice.  The same reason they cut him this year....so much for most talented.  

Personally I don't want Petty to start this year.  Agree to disagree with the others.

confidence is real, confidence matters.

itd be like asking a first year surgical resident to take out an appendix

Let the young kid sit and learn. Let's take the long view. We're not winning the SB this year, a couple games here is unimportant in the grand scheme of a potential starting QB. The downside risk is too high for me. Experience is important, I see the other side of it but I'd prefer he stay on the shelf this season.

Personally I don't want Petty to start this year.  Agree to disagree with the others.

Let the young kid sit and learn. Let's take the long view. We're not winning the SB this year, a couple games here is unimportant in the grand scheme of a potential starting QB. The downside risk is too high for me. Experience is important, I see the other side of it but I'd prefer he stay on the shelf this season.

Agree.

We have been throwing rookies out there forever and then we get surprised when they never develop.

Our fans are jut plain old impatient to see the new guy.  The notion of investing time into someone does not sit well with the need for instant gratification. 

I totally agree.

You hear it in baseball all the time, don't rush up the prospect.  This is the same, but with physical violence.  It used to be the standard for QB's to wait, years, to start.  Now, with things as complex as they are, people think they can just rush in.

Rogers sat for a few years behind a hall of fame player. Brady sat for a year behind a good player and has the benefit of league sanctioned cheating. So who knows? How many year 1 qbs light it up? Russell, but he started on an great team which didn't require him to carry the load.

This has been an excellent board flip flop. From "only an idiot would suggest petty should start this year and get sanchezed/geno'd/david carr'd" to "only an idiot would suggest throwing Petty in as a rookie would hurt his development."

Agree, because even if it doesnt hurt him long term, whats the upside?  That we lose games but a some fans are more interested?  He's not ready to win games, so why?

If you follow college football you know most college offenses these days are nothing like an NFL offense.  Looks at the top two picks this year struggling.  Part of the problem with Geno is he also didn't play in a normal offense and got thrown right into the mix as well.

Until college offenses change NFL rookie QBs really need to watch and learn for a year or two.  Stop the sissy argument they just don't know how to run the offense and it's not something they learn right away.  It's basically like asking someone who rode a bike with tricycle wheels for 22 years to take the wheels off and not be taught how to balance.

ANNNNDD....This is why you are not an NFL coach.

Archived