Can D'Brick be moved?

CanadaSteve

Just curious....Can D'brick be moved to either Guard or RT?  Just wondering if he would be able to play either position for a year or two at a decent level.  Gives us the opportunity to draft a new RT, and then not have to worry about G or RT for a year, draft one next year, and let them sit for a year until Ferguson retires.

He's scheduled for 14 mill next season- I'm hoping to renegotiate this off season increasing guarantees while lowering cap hit and then to draft a replacement in the first round this year- start the rookie  at RT and groom for the following year.

but bricks contract is coming to a head this offseason.  He's not really a G or RT to me. 

He is also too expensive; LT is were the 'money' is; not sure he would be willing to restructure down enough to play another position.  If he renegotiates great; if not, you have to decide whether or not he is worth the money; also, I think he is too light to play RT; def. too light to play RG.  Where would you move him then, center? LG?

Yes, some of it has to do with the OL; actually I think they pass protect better than the run block.  Some has to do with the balance of our offense, that our passing game is mostly short yardage (quicker to run routes), our passes to RBs, and Fitz (not only does he decide quickly, but he runs well).  At least he doesn't just sit there holding the ball and back-tracking for 17 yard sacks.

Brick is not the type of road-grading RT you look for, so really LT is the only spot for him.  If you're going to "move" him, it would have to be to another team via trade.  I'd prefer to keep him at LT but draft an OT with a high pick this year, grooming him to eventually be the starting LT.

We have to be more patient than ever with OL play coming out of the college ranks because of the spread offense.  Players just aren't ready right out of school. 

Hasn't fitzpatrick been one of the LEAST sacked QBs this season? He's been sacked 11 times all year. Compare that to 25 for brady, 26 for Rodgers, 37 for Wilson, 28 for Stafford, 26 for Rivers etc....  

The Jets are actually 1st in the league in sacks allowed. Tied with the Raiders at 14. The Jets have more QB hits (45 to 38) so they rank the Jets 2nd. 

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_SACKS_ALLOWED

As for Brick, the team doesn't have any other options. They aren't developing another LT. They'd have to use a high first round pick to replace this player. They will re-do his deal, give him extra money and he will start for the next 3-5 years. Easy. There's literally no other realistic options, other than draft someone high and hope they workout. Look at the draft recently by the way, most of these high picks (Eric Fisher, Greg Robinson etc), Brick is actually way better than those guys. He's not a perfect player but he never gets hurt and is an institution, I don't understand why people want to move on from Brick. 

Brick's play this year has dropped pretty damn dramatically.  So dramatically that I really think there's more to it than we think.  I think he's playing with an injury that we don't know about.  That's my gut feeling on it.  Brick was a rare breed coming in and playing LT right from the start and LT's are expensive as hell off the street.  Given how desperate this team needs a QB I would really rather we restructure Brick and look to 2nd/3rd round talent to groom over the next couple years.

. Look at the draft recently by the way, most of these high picks (Eric Fisher, Greg Robinson etc), Brick is actually way better than those guys.

Evidence is in the numbers too.  Chiefs have allowed 35 sacks this year (3rd most in the NFL), despite having a QB who is mobile, smart, and conservative by nature.  # 1 pick well spent by the Chiefs, clearly.

Just curious....Can D'brick be moved to either Guard or RT?  Just wondering if he would be able to play either position for a year or two at a decent level.  Gives us the opportunity to draft a new RT, and then not have to worry about G or RT for a year, draft one next year, and let them sit for a year until Ferguson retires.

doesn't work for the Jets or for Brick

who would you put at LT?

Brick is a finesse player, not a brawler, always has been. He's a smart guy, with quick feet, and excellent technique. There's not another position for him on an offensive line than left tackle. But the problems we're seeing with him this year are directly related to the type of player he is. A guy who's that reliant on quickness is going to fall off a cliff at some point in the NFL. It's not a gradual decline, it's fast.

I don't see the Jets giving him more money, I see them cutting his pay and drafting potential replacements. Doesn't have to be a first round pick, or someone that has to start next year (even at RT), but someone with the tools that they feel can be coached up in a year or two. 

I would really rather we restructure Brick and look to 2nd/3rd round talent to groom over the next couple years.

The 2nd/3rd round route is possible but it's not the easiest place to find talent.  

There are currently 21 starting left tackles in the NFL that were former first round picks. There are currently 11 starting left tackles in the league that were not. Of the group that wasn't, the only Pro Bowlers are Andrew Whitworth and Jason Peters. Peters was a converted TE from Arkansas at took several years on the Buffalo P squad to convert. It should also be noted that Donovan Smith was picked 34th overall, 2nd pick in rd 2, almost a first rounder. 

So it is possible to go that route but it's the road less travelled in the NFL. Chances are, to replace Brick the team will need to burn a first rounder. And it's probably takes a top 10 pick to get someone good. 

The only probable free agents in this group are Kelvin Beachum and Jermon Bushrod. Beachum is coming off a major injury and still could get resigned (Allejandro Villanueva isn't exactly setting the world on fire) but Bushrod is definitely not in the Bears' plans. 

First Rounders (21) 

Atlanta - Jake Matthews - Rd 1 
Baltimore - Eugene Monroe - Rd 1 
Carolina - Michael Oher - Rd 1
Cleveland - Joe Thomas - Rd 1 
Dallas - Tyron Smith - Rd 1 
Denver - Ryan Clady - Rd 1 
Detroit - Reily Reiff - Rd 1 
Houston - Duane Brown - Rd 1 
Indianapolis - Anthony Castonzo - Rd 1 
Jacksonville - Luke Joekel - Rd 1 
Kansas City - Eric Fisher - Rd 1 
Miami - Branden Albert - Rd 1 
Minnesota - Matt Kalil - Rd 1 
New England - Nate Solder - Rd 1 
New York Giants - Ereck Flowers - Rd 1 
New York Jets - DBrickashaw Ferguson - Rd 1 
San Francisco - Joe Staley - Rd 1 
Seattle - Russell Okung - Rd 1 
St Louis - Greg Robinson - Rd 1 
Tennessee - Taylor Lewan - Rd 1 
Washington - Trent Williams - Rd 1 

Non-First Rounders (11) 

Arizona - Jared Veldheer - Rd 3
Buffalo - Cordy Glenn - Rd 2 
Chicago - Charles Leno - Rd 7 / Jermon Bushrod - Rd 4
Cincinnati - Andrew Whitworth - Rd 2
Green Bay - David Bakhtiari - Rd 4
New Orleans - Terron Armstead - Rd 3
Oakland - Donald Penn - Undrafted
Philadelphia - Jason Peters - Undrafted
Pittsburgh - Kelvin Beachum - Rd 7
San Diego - King Dunlap - Rd 7
Tampa Bay - Donovan Smith - Rd 2

Evidence is in the numbers too.  Chiefs have allowed 35 sacks this year (3rd most in the NFL), despite having a QB who is mobile, smart, and conservative by nature.  # 1 pick well spent by the Chiefs, clearly.

Fisher actually started the year at right tackle. Some of these other names like Luke Joeckel, Matt Kalil, Okung, are they better than Brick? It's questionable and they were top 5 picks.  Nate Solder who is worse than Brick by nearly every measurement, just got a huge new deal to stay in NE, something like 10M per. That's what starting LT go for in this league. 

He can be moved....off the team next year if he doesnt take a massive pay cut. 

The 2nd/3rd round route is possible but it's not the easiest place to find talent.  

There are currently 21 starting left tackles in the NFL that were former first round picks. There are currently 11 starting left tackles in the league that were not. Of the group that wasn't, the only Pro Bowlers are Andrew Whitworth and Jason Peters. Peters was a converted TE from Arkansas at took several years on the Buffalo P squad to convert. It should also be noted that Donovan Smith was picked 34th overall, 2nd pick in rd 2, almost a first rounder. 

So it is possible to go that route but it's the road less travelled in the NFL. Chances are, to replace Brick the team will need to burn a first rounder. And it's probably takes a top 10 pick to get someone good. 

The only probable free agents in this group are Kelvin Beachum and Jermon Bushrod. Beachum is coming off a major injury and still could get resigned (Allejandro Villanueva isn't exactly setting the world on fire) but Bushrod is definitely not in the Bears' plans. 

First Rounders (21) 

Atlanta - Jake Matthews - Rd 1 
Baltimore - Eugene Monroe - Rd 1 
Carolina - Michael Oher - Rd 1
Cleveland - Joe Thomas - Rd 1 
Dallas - Tyron Smith - Rd 1 
Denver - Ryan Clady - Rd 1 
Detroit - Reily Reiff - Rd 1 
Houston - Duane Brown - Rd 1 
Indianapolis - Anthony Castonzo - Rd 1 
Jacksonville - Luke Joekel - Rd 1 
Kansas City - Eric Fisher - Rd 1 
Miami - Branden Albert - Rd 1 
Minnesota - Matt Kalil - Rd 1 
New England - Nate Solder - Rd 1 
New York Giants - Ereck Flowers - Rd 1 
New York Jets - DBrickashaw Ferguson - Rd 1 
San Francisco - Joe Staley - Rd 1 
Seattle - Russell Okung - Rd 1 
St Louis - Greg Robinson - Rd 1 
Tennessee - Taylor Lewan - Rd 1 
Washington - Trent Williams - Rd 1 

Non-First Rounders (11) 

Arizona - Jared Veldheer - Rd 3
Buffalo - Cordy Glenn - Rd 2 
Chicago - Charles Leno - Rd 7 / Jermon Bushrod - Rd 4
Cincinnati - Andrew Whitworth - Rd 2
Green Bay - David Bakhtiari - Rd 4
New Orleans - Terron Armstead - Rd 3
Oakland - Donald Penn - Undrafted
Philadelphia - Jason Peters - Undrafted
Pittsburgh - Kelvin Beachum - Rd 7
San Diego - King Dunlap - Rd 7
Tampa Bay - Donovan Smith - Rd 2

Thats really astonishing....  to build a TRUE LT needs a 1st round pick.    Crazy but facts are stubborn things.

Hasn't fitzpatrick been one of the LEAST sacked QBs this season? He's been sacked 11 times all year. Compare that to 25 for brady, 26 for Rodgers, 37 for Wilson, 28 for Stafford, 26 for Rivers etc....  

But isn't that a factor of Fitz's blazing speed and crazy white man juking abilities rather than blocking?

Brick is not great but functional.  The reality is that he is slightly overpaid.  If he was truly awful the Jets would not be 1-2 in pass protection regardless of the offense that they ran.  I think he is a good guy who takes pride in what he does.  He is also very fit.

The right answer is to restructure his contract, getting him down to 8-10 per, and guarantee him 2.  Hopefully 16-20 million in the bank would motivate him to perform until he can get replaced.

Mangold's fitness and recent injury history worries me.  He appears let fit, but I am not the expert.  

To me at least, the idea of paying someone alot of money is that they can cover for players who can be had for less money.  Brick and Mangold are no longer doing that.  The Jets need a right side of the line now, and a running back who needs less blocking.  Brick and Mangold are consuming too much cap space and need to, in fairness to the rest of the team, restructure so that they can invest in Fitzpatrick, like Ivory, another RB, and another RT (hopefully a draft pick that can be moved left).

Remember Marvin Powell.  He was also skilled and fit, and relatively better than Brick is.  His play just collapsed.  it is coming.

Brick is not great but functional.  The reality is that he is slightly overpaid.  If he was truly awful the Jets would not be 1-2 in pass protection regardless of the offense that they ran.  I think he is a good guy who takes pride in what he does.  He is also very fit.

The right answer is to restructure his contract, getting him down to 8-10 per, and guarantee him 2.  Hopefully 16-20 million in the bank would motivate him to perform until he can get replaced.

Mangold's fitness and recent injury history worries me.  He appears let fit, but I am not the expert.  

To me at least, the idea of paying someone alot of money is that they can cover for players who can be had for less money.  Brick and Mangold are no longer doing that.  The Jets need a right side of the line now, and a running back who needs less blocking.  Brick and Mangold are consuming too much cap space and need to, in fairness to the rest of the team, restructure so that they can invest in Fitzpatrick, like Ivory, another RB, and another RT (hopefully a draft pick that can be moved left).

Remember Marvin Powell.  He was also skilled and fit, and relatively better than Brick is.  His play just collapsed.  it is coming.

Mangold's injuries have been different.  A back neck stinger isn't a lack of conditioning, it's a whomp on the head.  And the hand injury is a cut on the hand, it just happens sometimes.

Brick is a finesse player, not a brawler, always has been. He's a smart guy, with quick feet, and excellent technique. There's not another position for him on an offensive line than left tackle. But the problems we're seeing with him this year are directly related to the type of player he is. A guy who's that reliant on quickness is going to fall off a cliff at some point in the NFL. It's not a gradual decline, it's fast.

I don't see the Jets giving him more money, I see them cutting his pay and drafting potential replacements. Doesn't have to be a first round pick, or someone that has to start next year (even at RT), but someone with the tools that they feel can be coached up in a year or two. 

Or someone that can play some guard as well, while they are groomed for LT

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Brick.  He's not falling off a cliff.  He's not a liability.  He's playing as well as he ever has if you ask me.  He just doesn't have an all-pro Guard next to him, nor does he have a top notch blocking TE on his left.  The Jets are #1 in sacks allowed and #2 in QB hits allowed.  And he faces the Top pass rusher on each team every game, the RDE or ROLB.  Not to mention he is in awesome physical condition, has sh*t-tons of experience and never misses a game.  Who are we picking on next?  David Harris?  Its crazy how we bitch about players that are highly productive and highly durable when there is so much more to worry about personnel-wise.  There's a reason Brick and Mangold and Harris get lucrative contracts and remain with the team year-in and year-out.  They are rock-solid.  And that's what a team's foundation is built upon.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Brick.  He's not falling off a cliff.  He's not a liability.  He's playing as well as he ever has if you ask me.  He just doesn't have an all-pro Guard next to him, nor does he have a top notch blocking TE on his left.  The Jets are #1 in sacks allowed and #2 in QB hits allowed.  And he faces the Top pass rusher on each team every game, the RDE or ROLB.  Not to mention he is in awesome physical condition, has sh*t-tons of experience and never misses a game.  Who are we picking on next?  David Harris?  Its crazy how we bitch about players that are highly productive and highly durable when there is so much more to worry about personnel-wise.  There's a reason Brick and Mangold and Harris get lucrative contracts and remain with the team year-in and year-out.  They are rock-solid.  And that's what a team's foundation is built upon.

Stop being sane, it does not fit the narrative of the thread.

So we are 1 or 2 in pass protection, Brick is the LT which is the most important position in pass protecting the QB ... And the adjective you are using to describe his play is functional ... Tough grader man!  And even though you are saying he's not this ... The expression "Truly awful" doesn't belong in a discussion about Brick any more than it does in a discussion about Aaron Rodgers.

i would like to see if we could get away with your 20 mil for 2 year guarantee idea ... I think other teams will offer him at least that neighborhood so we'd be lucky to get away with that.

The Jets are actually 1st in the league in sacks allowed. Tied with the Raiders at 14. The Jets have more QB hits (45 to 38) so they rank the Jets 2nd. 

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&offensiveStatisticCategory=OFFENSIVE_LINE&role=TM&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=PASSING_SACKS_ALLOWED

As for Brick, the team doesn't have any other options. They aren't developing another LT. They'd have to use a high first round pick to replace this player. They will re-do his deal, give him extra money and he will start for the next 3-5 years. Easy. There's literally no other realistic options, other than draft someone high and hope they workout. Look at the draft recently by the way, most of these high picks (Eric Fisher, Greg Robinson etc), Brick is actually way better than those guys. He's not a perfect player but he never gets hurt and is an institution, I don't understand why people want to move on from Brick. 

I should have actually made that comment; I don't necessarily want to move him, but his play doesn't warrant the contract owed to him.  I was wondering if it was possible he play another position.  If not, I think it is a good idea to consider drafting his replacement high this year, and then have that person replace Breno.  That way, we can save some money to pick up another guard.  We are going to have to draft an eventual replacement for Nick Mangold as well.

Don't see why he couldn't play right tackle.

Jason Peters renegotiated his contract in 2014 with two years left on his contract, and we should fully expect the same for our good old fixture on the left side of the line.  Ferguson is due $14 million, and only $4 Million dead.  Peters' contract will be a direct contract comp for our Front Office and Ferguson's Agent.

Assuming the same parameters for Ferguson's restructured contract, the previous prorated bonus money would be $3 Million and change, the new signing bonus proration would be $1,000,000 per year, the base salary of $1,750,000, and a roster bonus of $5,000,000 would make his new 2016 cap hit roughly $11 Million.  This would save the Front Office $3 Million in 2016, allow us to draft a replacement, move on in 2018 for a relatively minimal cap hit, and $10 Million in signing bonuses for Ferguson.

Win - Win.  IMO

For those that don't think he is worth $11 Million against the cap, Who are you going to replace him with?  A rookie? An unknown player versus a proven fixture.  A free agent?  Take a look at the free agents for next year.  

Archived