If best player available is a D-lineman

AFJF

Lots of good DL this years draft in the first round. Another reason why I think it wise to trade one of our assets (mo, basically)

For our first round pick at 20, I think your scenario is pretty likely.

Thankfully there may be OT talent left on board to take in that spot. That's part of the reason why I support releasing Breno.

Depends on how closely ranked the next guy on the list is.  If the next player down is close and obviously not a D-Lineman you probably have to go that route.  In addition, like others have said let's see what we do in free agency first.  Macc's game plan at least in year one has been to try and fill holes through free agency so we don't have to reach in the draft to fill a position of need.  That being said, he had a lot more cap space to work with in year one and will need to get a little more creative this offseason.

2 hours ago, drsamuel84 said:

Depends on how closely ranked the next guy on the list is.  If the next player down is close and obviously not a D-Lineman you probably have to go that route.  In addition, like others have said let's see what we do in free agency first.  Macc's game plan at least in year one has been to try and fill holes through free agency so we don't have to reach in the draft to fill a position of need.  That being said, he had a lot more cap space to work with in year one and will need to get a little more creative this offseason.

This, in a nutshell. 

BAP gets cloudier as you move thru the draft. They couldn't pass on Leonard Williams last year, no matter what the fans thought at the time. He was really the last blue chip player, and you don't pass that up just because you're solid at his position. At #20, it's less likely that a DL will be rated so much significantly higher than another position of greater need (especially when you consider the Jets have a lot of needs). 

It's also possible that the Jets trade Mo and lose Snacks in free agency. At that point, they just pull the trigger on the DL. 

There are a number of scenarios here.

I think the odds of there being a very good DL, including a potential NT, available at 20 are pretty good.

They can move Mo, and let Harrison go, and count on there being someone available to add to the DL at 20 (or hopefully with a pick from Mo).

My preferred idea is to lock up Mo and Harrison long term, but let Richardson walk next year.  At 20 pick the BPA but hope that it is not DL.  

The Jets need more younger starters.  A viable strategy would be to cut Breno and allow Quale to compete with a draft pick, preferably rounds 1 or 2.

Last year was an aberration. Rarely will a player of Williams caliber drop to 6 and so we were left with no choice. Generally, once you get to the 20th pick, you won't have a player talented enough to warrant taking him despite having zero need for that player.  

We are also coming into the draft coming off a 10 win season. So we are no longer trying to merely accumulate talent, now we are looking to fill some holes. 

Given what second contracts cost for DL, continuing to draft them in the first round, letting them be motivated for their second contract, and then letting them sign with someone else (receiving compensatory and sign and trade draft picks) is not a bad strategy.

We have seen a "quality" D-Line for years now.  Unless their name is JJ Watt, they don't get to the QB enough. 

Tackle. Quarterback. Or edge rusher.

And if they take an inside backer, they better be absolutely certain about him.  Like Urlacher, Ray Lewis, Kuechly certain. 

No DL, no RB in 1st round.

Because they are so valuable, and that teams are often lured by athletic prowess, 1st round qbs and edge rushers have a high bust percentage,.

If you look at prior drafts, I think the ILBs and OL picked high tend to (but not always) do better.

For 2016, I keep coming back to the same place.  I think the Jets should:

Sign Wilkerson long term.  Let SR walk-trade him if possible.

Sign as many of Powell, Ivory and Fitz that be retained at fair prices (not low, but not overpaid)

Cut and restructure the underperformers (Cromartie, Breno, Brick, Cumberland, Kerley)-other players need to step up.  The Jets can't retain those they need to retain, or fill the holes that definitely need to get filled, if they are overpaying these guys on the roster.

Draft and sign really smart.  Draft BPAs as much as possible to build talent.

This may not necessarily get to the playoffs in 2016, but it is better long term.

We have seen a "quality" D-Line for years now.  Unless their name is JJ Watt, they don't get to the QB enough. 

Tackle. Quarterback. Or edge rusher.

And if they take an inside backer, they better be absolutely certain about him.  Like Urlacher, Ray Lewis, Kuechly certain. 

No DL, no RB in 1st round.

You will take an ILB but not Zeke if he is there at 20??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let's hope a stud Dlineman drops to us so we can trade back a few spots for another pick. Teams will trade up for Dline talent. Getting another pick allows you to take that stud RB, and still get some LBs that we need badly. I think Mauldin is gonna be special, not in top 10 type player way but in a Teddy Bruschi all out hustle get the job done type.

Everyone's going crazy with Mo, but if we could trade Mo & spend 3/4s of the money he wanted on a FA edge pass rusher we won't miss a beat if we keep Snacks. Leo can easily replace Mo & a vet DL at the end of his career can fill in as a bench player. That's how you create a pass rush. I mean seriously, our edge rusher before bringing Mauldin along was the dinosaur Calvin Pace!

There is an article out there that compares our sack & QB pressures to the Denver Broncos & it was absolutely STUNNING how much more pressure the Broncos front put on than we did. In fact, if we could put that much pressure our secondary would probably have been LIGHTS OUT!

Jets were looking to trade down last year with an elite talent on the DL on the board and couldn't get a deal done. There's no way you can plan on a trade down from the 20th pick with a lesser talent on the board. 

3 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

If we select another DL in the first round, which would make it our 5th out of the last 7-first rounders, I would feel angry. And I would write a post about how angry I am.

Lololololoolololol 

thanks for the laugh!

Archived