This waiting game is getting old.

jetsfan719

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

What's your take on the top 5 or so QB prospects?

• The good
  • The bad
  • Where you think they'll go
  • Who you'd avoid no matter what the purported "value" is at our pick, even if they drop 3-5 rounds
  • With which pick of ours you'd pull the trigger on ________ and not get too cute about value-timing

1, Carson Wentz.  tall, accurate pro ready. Goes 2 to CLE or higher if TEN trades down.  

2. Jared Goff. Not as quite accurate as Wentz, a little smaller physically but better experience and pedigree. Goes top 4-15, possibly to DAL, CHI, NO, STL. Could actually get a bump late in the process and be in play at CLE as well. If he's there at 20 it's a no brainer. 

***BIG GAP***

3. Paxton Lynch. Tall, huge arm but raw as hell. He should easily be there at 20 but it's highly questionable if he's worth the pick (might be a 2nd rounder). It's also tough to predict he will make it back around to the 2nd rounder. This could be a decent pick but he's gotta sit a year at least, maybe more. Doesn't really solve the team needing a vet to start (like Fitz) in the short term. 

4. Christian Hackenberg. Got all the tools but bad accuracy and decision making. Not a first rounder more like 2nd/3rd at best. 

5. Cardale Jones. Tremendous raw talent, but couldn't even keep the starting job. Another rd 2-4 type and needs to sit a season or more.  

others who will go rd 4 and beyond: Connor Cook, Dak DWI Prescott, Jacoby Brissett, Kevin Hogan. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, bitonti said:

1, Carson Wentz.  tall, accurate pro ready. Goes 2 to CLE or higher if TEN trades down.  

2. Jared Goff. Not as quite accurate as Wentz, a little smaller physically but better experience and pedigree. Goes top 4-15, possibly to DAL, CHI, NO, STL. Could actually get a bump late in the process and be in play at CLE as well. If he's there at 20 it's a no brainer. 

***BIG GAP***

3. Paxton Lynch. Tall, huge arm but raw as hell. He should easily be there at 20 but it's highly questionable if he's worth the pick (might be a 2nd rounder). It's also tough to predict he will make it back around to the 2nd rounder. This could be a decent pick but he's gotta sit a year at least, maybe more. Doesn't really solve the team needing a vet to start (like Fitz) in the short term. 

4. Christian Hackenberg. Got all the tools but bad accuracy and decision making. Not a first rounder more like 2nd/3rd at best. 

5. Cardale Jones. Tremendous raw talent, but couldn't even keep the starting job. Another rd 2-4 type and needs to sit a season or more.  

others who will go rd 4 and beyond: Connor Cook, Dak DWI Prescott, Jacoby Brissett, Kevin Hogan. 

Thanks!

I look forward to calling you out in 1-3 years, with the benefit of hindsight hahaha.

43 minutes ago, ylekram said:

how can a $10 per, 2 year contract for a competant bridge qb possibly hurt the jets? i will be waiting

No sense in arguing with many of these guys becasue in their eyes, Fitz is the worst Qb to ever put on a jets uniform.  (waiting for the 'easy schedule' 'lotsa weaponz' 'couldn't get into he playoffs' shtick.

6 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

No sense in arguing with many of these guys becasue in their eyes, Fitz is the worst Qb to ever put on a jets uniform.  (waiting for the 'easy schedule' 'lotsa weaponz' 'couldn't get into he playoffs' shtick.

not getting into the playoffs isn't "schtick" - it's fact.   

Someone has already made this mistake and overpaid him to be their starter after one good year.  It would be a regrettable decision to make that same mistake.

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Someone has already made this mistake and overpaid him to be their starter after one good year.  It would be a regrettable decision to make that same mistake.

yea, too bad fitz dragged down the coach and the rest of the team during the buffalo game. it was so obvious that they were playing for thier "playoff lives"

18 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It is like some folks have amnesia or something.  Ask the Bills how overpaying for Fitz worked out for them.  

7 minutes ago, ylekram said:

yea, too bad fitz dragged down the coach and the rest of the team during the buffalo game. it was so obvious that they were playing for thier "playoff lives"

Fitz played well last season but does not deserve to make more than 8 - 10 million a year; at the very MOST 12 million.  The Jets were the perfect team for him and NOBODY is going to pay him any more than that.   Unlike qb starved Jet fans; most of the NFL recognize Fitz for what he is; his 30 td - 15 int season notwithstanding.   I hope he comes to his senses and signs an incentive laden contract that can make up the difference he is looking for if the team makes and/or advances in the playoffs. 

7 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Fitz played well last season but does not deserve to make more than 8 - 10 million a year; at the very MOST 12 million.  The Jets were the perfect team for him and NOBODY is going to pay him any more than that.   Unlike qb starved Jet fans; most of the NFL recognize Fitz for what he is; his 30 td - 15 int season notwithstanding.   I hope he comes to his senses and signs an incentive laden contract that can make up the difference he is looking for if the team makes and/or advances in the playoffs. 

I don't think anyone is saying the jets should pay more then 10-12.    I think he will sign for that.  

Some here don't want him for free

5 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Frankly, I think the $7-8M/year that the Jets are allegedly offering is right in line with the man's value. If they wanna throw him a signing bonus to put him in eight figures for this year, fine, but I'm glad they're sticking to their guns so far on the total value. It's obvious that they like Fitz, but also want to find his replacement as soon as possible. 

I'd also be willing to do an incentive based deal that could go all the way up to $12M/year, but that would also have to come with lower base salaries for his eventual backup role. Maybe something in the $5M/year range before those incentives. 

13 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

yes, i agree with most of this. just like to add a few things.

i think he is more of a 10-12 guy than an 8-10 guy

i dont think a team is willing to give up 15-18, nor should they

fitz played one good half a season in buffalo, cashed in, and then stunk. but i have seen progression since then. he played a little better in tennessee, hit average play in houston before he was injured, and had a pretty good year with the jets. is 31 tds-15 interceptions, & 4000 yards the norm going forward? idk. but i dont see him resorting back to his post payday buffalo days. i see him as a viable, solid, competant qb who will play "mostly" well

When Jimmy Sexton comes to his senses and realizes NO ONE is going to give Fitz more than what the Jets are offering it's done. He will come back. I think Mac will sweeten the deal to about 27 mil over three years with 14 guaranteed but that is as far as I would go. Probably as far as Mac will go also. I can see RGIII maybe reinvigorating his career in a QB friendly system like Chan Gailey's, but I would like Fitz back. I think it is just a matter of time. I doubt Denver wants a one year QB which is what they will get with Fitz. I think Denver makes the deal for Kap, Cleveland drafts Wentz and the Fitz comes back to the Jets.

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

So when the Texans handed us Fitzpatrick for a 7th rounder, were we supposed to have the foresight that he'd be looking for $15M a year just one season later?  We were having debates on here all offseason long about how much Fitz actually sucked, and it spilled into the entire season as well even as he was throwing 30+ TD's. Pretty sure Fitz himself didn't think that was going to happen.  He's a stopgap guy, and still hasn't been signed yet.  It's still too early to assume we're heading into camp with just Geno, Petty, and a rookie.

I think Macc has handled the QB situation as well as he possibly could have.  He isn't caving in to the demands of a guy he knows won't be the franchise QB.  Neither are the Super Bowl-winning Broncos.

I don't understand what the hell you read in that post that would lead you to interpret this.

1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't understand what the hell you read in that post that would lead you to interpret this.

You seemed to be lumping in Macc to the situation when you rightfully criticized his predecessors for the QB mess we're in now. 

The part that jumped out was when you said "the one sliver of mediocrity that we experienced came at the hands of a one-year deal. What exactly did we think was going to happen?"

As if Macc was supposed to hand Fitz a multi-year deal coming off a broken leg.  That's how I interpreted it anyways.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You seemed to be lumping in Macc to the situation when you rightfully criticized his predecessors for the QB mess we're in now. 

The part that jumped out was when you said "the one sliver of mediocrity that we experienced came at the hands of a one-year deal. What exactly did we think was going to happen?"

As if Macc was supposed to hand Fitz a multi-year deal coming off a broken leg.  That's how I interpreted it anyways.

We traded for an old guy on a one year deal. Either he was going to play well and this was going to happen, or he was going to play poorly and this was going to happen. There was no option C, because Geno sucks a bag of dicks.

Just now, RutgersJetFan said:

We traded for an old guy on a one year deal. Either he was going to play well and this was going to happen, or he was going to play poorly and this was going to happen. There was no option C, because Geno sucks a bag of dicks.

I believe in Bryce Petty.  Even if his Dad doesn't.

19 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

However you look at it now aside, they brought him in to be the backup QB in the event we needed a new instant starter while still a contender.

If the team was doing so poorly, as a result of starting Geno, I'd think an eliminated team (or all but eliminated team) would ideally then jump to its rookie QB to mop up the season, see some live action, so the team could better gauge what to do in 2016.

It was entirely possible for Fitz to only take a nominal # of snaps in 2015, even with Geno playing poorly again. What actually happened couldn't be predicted by anyone, and even after it happened I didn't recall seeing anyone here pushing for an extension for Fitz over the summer.

PrNV7Yg.gif

I don't think that's funny or even witty.

You're getting careless about being vulgar and didn't have much to say about it. What would be more impressive than a gif would be you finding more high brow ways to get your point across.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Paradis said:

I don't think that's funny or even witty.

You're getting careless about being vulgar and didn't have much to say about it. What would be more impressive than a gif would be you finding more high brow ways to get your point across.

http://i.imgur.com/hHifeGh.gif

hHifeGh.gif

Good for you. ...but consider this. Just like at JI, you and your cohorts are responsible for the kind of culture we have here. The regulars model the behavior others will emulate. It would be nice to see some of you take on a leadership role, over another class clown.

40 minutes ago, jgb said:

The waiting game benefits jets this is brilliant negotiating

i dont think its brilliant negotiating at all. i think its more like "negotiating 101". in its easiest,simplest form

i dont think its brilliant negotiating at all. i think its more like "negotiating 101". in its easiest,simplest form

Yup but I will admit Mac seems to have a better idea of market price than I do. I would've paid fitz 12 mill without question but so far this thing rolling in Jets' favour. Very good to see

11 minutes ago, jgb said:

Yup but I will admit Mac seems to have a better idea of market price than I do. I would've paid fitz 12 mill without question but so far this thing rolling in Jets' favour. Very good to see

ok. lets break it down

going into free agency, fitzpatrick was

jets-1st option

denver-3rd option(osweiler was 1st and i am guessing keap would be 2nd)

cleveland- who knows what option.

san fran- might be 1st option if keap is traded

best case scenario for fitz is if keap gets traded to cleveland. that leaves san fram needing a qb(they have some $$) and denver needing a qb(fitz could have some success there)

worst case is if denver lands keap as i am sure fitz doesnt want to play in cleveland. that leaves san fran and the jets. i dont believe fitz packs up his entire family and moves them across country to a sh*tty organization over a mil or 2, when he knows that the jets are his best chance to succeed.

all teams and players involved are at a stand still until something breaks loose. there is a reason the jets and fitz are not negotiating at this point. there is literally nothing to negotiate

21 minutes ago, jgb said:

ya, i would be at 10m atleast.lol

28 minutes ago, jgb said:

Lol, you were advocating resigning him during the season, during the team's five game winning streak - literally the point of his highest value. All out of a fear that he'd get snatched up in free agency. Saw one always reliable unnamed source refer to him as a "super backup," and that's probably pretty close to how he's viewed around the league. Obviously, no one is jumping over themselves to sign him for starter money. 

He and his agent need to come back to Earth before the music stops in this game of QB musical chairs, but they'll probably wait until Kaepernick's April 1 date passes, hoping that there's some sort of mini-bidding war between the Jets and Denver. Who knows? He very well may prefer to land the job with the defending Super Bowl champs. It's not like he's not used to moving his family around. 

43 minutes ago, ylekram said:

It's easy for Maccagnan in this case because he's not afraid of losing Fitzpatrick. 

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Lol, you were advocating resigning him during the season, during the team's five game winning streak - literally the point of his highest value.

You think that was his highest value?  Not after the Eagles handed out 60 bajillion dollars to a loser and the Texans paid 60 bajillion dollars to a nobody?

Wow.  

Archived