This waiting game is getting old.

jetsfan719

2 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

Cleveland getting Kaep drops a QB in the draft, maybe Jets draft Wentz :)  we can dream it is the offseason 

If Wentz makes it to 20 I'll be stunned, but very very happy. The only problem then is who will be the starter for this year? I wouldnt start Wentz this year. I'd rather put in Geno and give Wentz a redshirt unless he proves otherwise. 

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jets need to show Ryan Fitzpatrick - their best option at quarterback - the green New York Daily news  /  Gary Myers  /  March 14, 2016 11:08 PM

The numbers I heard Monday: He wants $14 million per year. The Jets are offering between $7 million-$8 million per year.

The Jets are basically trying to fine him $7 million per season for blowing the playoffs. If Fitzpatrick had pulled out that Buffalo game, like he did on the final possessions against the Cowboys and Giants, or when he drove the Jets to the winning touchdown on the first possession in overtime against the Patriots — all were crucial December games — then he surely would have been signed by the Jets in advance of free agency starting last Wednesday.

If he had made it to the playoffs for the first time, with the sixth team he had started for in his career, then I believe the Jets would have paid him market value, especially if he had then won a playoff game.

So what is he worth now?

Fitz is slowly coming back to reality? All weekend NFLN and several online reports said Fitz was holding out for $18M/per.  This is progress.

3 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

On April 1st the 49ers have to guarantee 11.9M of Kaepernick's 2016 salary, they are posturing like they are happy to keep Kaep but I think deals should get done before the 1st - so, we have another week or two...

Agree some of the FA QB's will wait until after the draft but that is a dangerous game since they would be waiting for camp injuries or an invitation to compete with a top draft pick... 

Jets are in good company with Geno if the Bronco's going into this with Sanchez, get some more popcorn  

I can see it now, the AFC championship game, January 2107 in Mile High with pink, chubby, winged pigs flying overhead. Far below the game is minutes from kickoff as Geno Smith and Mark Sanchez look across the sidelines at each other knowing one of them is Super Bowl bound.

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Kaep ends up in Cleveland

Fitz ends up in Denver

RGIII ends up in cali

Jets end up holding the bag .

With the Jets it's always something . 

Not a Geno fan but we've had Bubby Brister at quarterback ... I like Fitzy but I am not convinced that it's the end of the world if your scenario plays out. We might end up signing Mo to a long term deal and we will likely draft a qb and Petty gets more reps.

I like Fitz, and I'm not in the camp of those that just blindly keep saying he sucks and think the BUF game is some be all end all indicator on his ability.  There is a middle ground with the guy.  With that said, I do not for one second think he can put up a repeat performance of the numbers he did last year.  I just don't think he has that type of consistency in him, and he is getting old.  I see no reason to pay him anywhere near what guys like Bradford (ridiculous!) and Brock got.  I understand he wants more than backup money, but the risk of paying him real starter type money is that he will very likely regress from last year and we're left holding the bag.  In my opinion I think we should trade Mo, target a 1st round caliber QB with one of our picks, and let that QB, Geno, and Bryce battle it out.  That way we are young at the position with an eye to the future, and not knee deep in dead money.  I, among many here I'm sure, have absolutely no worry that we let Fitz go only to watch him light it up somewhere else. 

I am warming to the idea of Geno/Petty/rookie combo. Not that Geno is anything special and to be honest he makes boneheaded mistakes but at the same time, my trust to Gailey over weighs my dislike for Geno. 

Let's see what Gailey can do with Geno. If he craps the bed, we will see Petty and if he craps out, a high pick for next year and we start again. 47 years already gone. A few more years won't kill us right? 

41 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Anyone who watched Hoyer throw 4 picks and have at least another 4 int's dropped in that playoff game and thinks he should be our qb doesn't deserve to watch sports

I am not a "Hoyer fan" but I am a realist. Hoyer only threw one more pick in that game than Fitzpatrick threw in the Buffalo game, which is nonetheless, unacceptable. But, if you look beyond that one game he actually had a decent season. Not great, but not terrible either. However, I still don't like all those fumbles. But with the alternatives, Hoyer might be the "least bad" choice if Fitzpatrick goes elsewhere.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/12477/brian-hoyer

7 hours ago, jetsjets said:

I don't see Fitz signing with us. He over played his hand and probably wants to save face. I see him waiting till pre-season. Maybe a QB goes down or a QB plays so bad a team looks for a quick fix. When he was traded to NY he wasn't happy so this was never his place of choice. RG3 is our best bet imo. The system and our weapons made Fitz look good. RG3 can push the ball down field which is what we were missing last year. Marshall and Deck we know about. Forte being a catching RB, good for the underneath stuff, we can send our WRs down field and open this thing up. I think RG3 would look great in this system 

The money will be all dried up by then. He probably needs to get a deal done before the draft if he doesn't want to wind up with less than what the Jets are currently offering. 

1 hour ago, munchmemory said:

Just like we signed Sparano as OC after the fukkin' disaster in Miami?  Kotite?  Brister?  Kellen as starter?  Bollinger (fukking Bollinger!). Actually believing Simms could play in the NFL.  Six hundred other examples of idiocy?  Just accept that you're a Jet fan.

Given the Jets' illustrious history at QB, Hoyer just makes too much sense not to be the heir apparent.

MacC was Executive of the Year.  He deserved it.  He did alot of good things.

One of the the things he needs to do better is more internal scouting and more extensions of contracts before they expire.    It would appear that some of the shorter contracts can backfire.  It would be unfortunate

Given that this is Geno Smith's last year, MacC could justifiably extended Fitz for another year last Summer for a modest increase from what he was paid in 2015.    He side has fair points given Fitz year's performance and prior year's performance.  If we want Fitz, I think the best way to reconcile this give Fitz an incentive-based contract, and if he earns the incentive people get cut next year when the incentive needs to get paid.  If he makes the playoffs, he should make 12+mm.  Win a playoff game, 14mm.  But others on the offense should contribute in restructurings here if that is the strategy.  One of the reasons that there is downward pressure on Ftiz' contract is the other high contracts on offense.  How much can you pay the offense?  (and the DL?).

That being said, it is not a terrible idea to go with RGIII, Geno and Petty and see what happens.  The problem with that approach is that I think I makes you still want to keep Geno.  If they sign Fitz, I think they are more comfortable with him, a draft pick and Petty (which i think is the better long term plan).

8 hours ago, jetsfan719 said:

This waiting game on qb is getting old quick. How long do u guys think this situation is solved and we know who #1 come opening day? Weeks? I feel like the entire thing is in limbo and all lays upon what happens with kapernick.

That being said. How long do you think big mac says the hell with it and pulls the trigger on RG3?

From what i see there is slim to zero chance this coaching staff and management are behind geno at all.

I think mac prefers fitz but rg3 isnt a terrible option either. I wonder if they make a final take it or leave it offer soon?

Whats your thoughts?

*besides "look another fitzpatrick thread"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's March and there is a long time before the Jets are playing Football again so who cares how long you have to wait before you find out what sh*tty QB is leading the Jets.

Besides, Geno is still a Jet and people need to get used to that.

1 hour ago, hawk said:

It is quite possible this doesn't play out until after the first mini camp in April.  Fitz may be banking on Geno acting like the putz he is, and Bryce not being ready.  JMO.

This is a possibility. Last year, the Jets ran a voluntary camp right before the draft. They could be looking very closely at their QBs if they do the same thing this year. At that point, it may just push them in the direction of taking a QB in the first round, too. 

8 hours ago, jetsfan719 said:

This waiting game on qb is getting old quick. How long do u guys think this situation is solved and we know who #1 come opening day? Weeks? I feel like the entire thing is in limbo and all lays upon what happens with kapernick.

That being said. How long do you think big mac says the hell with it and pulls the trigger on RG3?

From what i see there is slim to zero chance this coaching staff and management are behind geno at all.

I think mac prefers fitz but rg3 isnt a terrible option either. I wonder if they make a final take it or leave it offer soon?

Whats your thoughts?

*besides "look another fitzpatrick thread"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do not agree with your premise. Schefter has said he is surprised h ow comfortable the Jets are with Geno. I think that Bowles is pro Fitz, but I do not think Mac or Gailey are as high. If they were the Jets would gave caved by now. Re-signing Fitz will be repeating history and a monumental mistake.

From Fitz's standpoint he has a lot to lose too. About 21 mil and a guaranteed starting job. If he doesn't go to the Jets he could end up on another team with less money and no guarantees. So there is risk for him, too. But he's been pretty cool like is on the field. I'm rooting for him to get a good deal but with us.

18 minutes ago, slats said:

This is a possibility. Last year, the Jets ran a voluntary camp right before the draft. They could be looking very closely at their QBs if they do the same thing this year. At that point, it may just push them in the direction of taking a QB in the first round, too. 

My gut feeling is we're going QB early in this draft. 

Just now, FidelioJet said:

I agree that this is the most likely scenario..

and it would be a terrible outcome for the Jets...

how can a $10 per, 2 year contract for a competant bridge qb possibly hurt the jets? i will be waiting

23 minutes ago, slats said:

They start later this year because they don't have a new coach.  It will be well after the draft.

5 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

My gut feeling is we're going QB early in this draft. 

Look when the Jets make that decision they will have to weigh their evaluation of Qbs in this year's draft against what they have (Geno and Petty) and what is on the open market (like RG3). They might just think there is more talent with Griffin than with the guys who they could get early in this draft. 

1 minute ago, ylekram said:

how can a $10 per, 2 year contract for a competant bridge qb possibly hurt the jets? i will be waiting

1st, Bridge to what?

2nd, It's $10mm a year for a back-up level QB.  you're suggesting it's a good idea to pay a QB $20mm to continue missing the playoffs.  

4 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Kaep ends up in Cleveland

Fitz ends up in Denver

RGIII ends up in cali

Jets end up holding the bag .

With the Jets it's always something . 

Jets draft Paxton Lynch. He beats out both Geno and Petty in camp. Jets have their first true Franchise Qb since Namath.  Hey a guy can dream can't he? ;-) 

1 hour ago, Gangrene said:

I can see it now, the AFC championship game, January 2107 in Mile High with pink, chubby, winged pigs flying overhead. Far below the game is minutes from kickoff as Geno Smith and Mark Sanchez look across the sidelines at each other knowing one of them is Super Bowl bound.

What color is the sky in this world? 

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

1st, Bridge to what?

2nd, It's $10mm a year for a back-up level QB.  you're suggesting it's a good idea to pay a QB $20mm to continue missing the playoffs.  

stop. just stop. a bridge to future qb. i would like to believe that that is the plan.

4000 yard, 31 tds-15 interception, and 10 wins is hardly a mark of a back up qb. like it not, fitz had a pretty good year. as far as missing the playoffs, i am pretty sure the coach and 51 other players on the jets had an equal role in that loss. believe it not, alot of teams pay more than 5m annually for the qb position

20 minutes ago, bitonti said:

it's not clear that there will be any QB of a first round value at 1.20. 

What's your take on the top 5 or so QB prospects?

• The good
  • The bad
  • Where you think they'll go
  • Who you'd avoid no matter what the purported "value" is at our pick, even if they drop 3-5 rounds
  • With which pick of ours you'd pull the trigger on ________ and not get too cute about value-timing

27 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

They start later this year because they don't have a new coach.  It will be well after the draft.

I thought that may be the case. I tried to find dates for Jets voluntary camps this year, and only came up with last year's pre-draft camp. Even so, they should have a pretty good idea of what they have in Geno and Petty. What they do with Fitz, or otherwise in free agency and the draft, has to be in some part a reflection of what they think of those two guys. 

Archived