Ryan Clady a Jet [MERGED]

JetsFanatic

59 minutes ago, KRL said:

Ryan Clady's new deal with : 1-year deal for $6M base value with $3M guaranteed. Clady has 1 option year for $10M escalating to $13M

By the way, waiting on confirmation from Jason, but I'd bet that Clady's total 2016 cap hit is only 3M, not 6 - because if that remaining 3M is tied to Clady's health via per-active-game bonuses (what I'd expect given his injury history), then those bonuses are probably considered Non-likely to be earned incentives, which do not count against this year's cap, and only count against next year's cap.

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Say what you will about Mike Tannenbaum but he's obviously a very smart guy and Maccagnan is at least smart enough to follow his blueprint for staying employed. Nobody ever wound up with his name on a banner trading draft picks for veteran players with recognizable names making millions of dollars. I say this every offseason but I'm really getting tired of having to root for the team this fanbase deserves.

Clearly this Elway guy has no idea how to build a Super Bowl winning team. 

John Elway ✔‎@johnelway

Acquired QB Mark Sanchez for a conditional '17 pick. He brings veteran leadership & will compete. This is the 1st step in our process.

The Broncos have traded for the 49ers tight end, the team announced Monday afternoon. The teams will swap late-round picks in 2016 and San Francisco will receive the Broncos' sixth-round pick in 2017, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source involved.

Broncos trading a conditional 7th-round pick to NYG for K Brandon McManus, per source. Kicking insurance while Matt Prater is suspended.

18 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

We still have the same amount of draft picks. What player in the 5th is equal to Ryan Clady @ 6mil?  

If you're gonna complain at least pretend you know what you're talking about.  There are ZERO similarities between the failed abortion named Tannenbaum and Maccagnan.

They're both humans. They're both named Mike. They're both sh*tty NFL general managers. There's three at least. Somebody who thinks there's a point to this could probably come up with more.

29 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Yes, I certainly was. He had the best season of his career by far so I'm at least a year's worth of wrong on that one. Still wouldn't do it over again.

Well no one can say you're not committed to your views.  So ya got that going for you.

But that's a tough deal to find any fault with.  Even if Marshall is a complete waste from this point forward.

Ryan Clady

By Glenn Naughton

New York Jets General Manager Mike Maccagnan wasted no time replacing left tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson who announced his retirement just yesterday by dealing for Denver Broncos left tackle Ryan Clady in exchange for a 5th round draft choice.  Just as the Jets did in last year’s blockbuster deal which sent a 5th rounder to the Bears for Brandon Marshall, they’ll also get a 7th round choice along with Clady.

An eight-year veteran who has been voted a first-team All-Pro twice by the associated press (three times total) to go along with four pro-bowl appearances, Clady has undeniable talent, but in terms of durability, he’s the anti-Ferguson, having missed all of last season with a torn ACL, and 14 games in 2013 with a lisfranc injury.

Clearly the Jets are banking on Clady returning to the player he was between 2008-2012 when he didn’t miss a single start, but even before last year’s injury there were rumblings in regards to his declining performance in pass protection, something the Jets can’t afford if they’re hoping to make a playoff push this season.

Originally carrying a price tag similar to that of Ferguson, Rich Cimini of ESPN New York is reporting that two sides have re-worked his deal to make it more manageable for the cash strapped Jets.

Clady arrived at the Jets complex for a physical Friday and agreed to a restructured contract with the Jets on Saturday, sources said. It’s a one-year deal worth $6 million in base salary, with $3 million of that guaranteed, and it could increase to $7.5 million based on playing time and/or honors.

The reworked deal between the Jets and Clady also has an additional option year for a minimum of $10 million that can escalate to $13 million based on playing time and includes a $2.5 million February bonus. If the Jets decline to pick up that option after this season, Clady will become a free agent.

With the offensive tackle position addressed at a much lower price tag, the move can only help bring back Ryan Fitzpatrick with whom the Jets have been at a contract impasse with since the start of free agency.

Already named the team’s starter by head coach Todd Bowles should he return, Fitzpatrick’s options in free agency have all but dried up as of now unless the 49ers throw their hat in the ring if they eventually  deal their current starter, Colin Kaepernick to the Broncos as expected.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
3pd2MRjEPy4

Click here to read the full story...

18 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Why not?

If he plays every game this year, and is even nearly a top-3 left tackle again, $10M for 1 more year is totally reasonable. Frankly it's still nominally less "new money" than Ferguson was scheduled to get in '16, and doesn't lock the team into him for longer. He's not "old" but you never know which players hit the wall in early 30s, which in mid-30s, and which even later. A guy with this injury history, who turns 30 at the start of this season, you really want on a year-to-year contract anyway.

Plus it buys the Jets one more year to draft his replacement without holding their noses to keep him for another season. If he's nothing like he used to be, as happened with Brick, then obviously this will be just a 1 year deal. 

On the flip side, if we decide not to exercise his option, we will get a pick back for him like NE did when they didn't pick up the option for Revis. So net result, when the dust settles, this doesn't even cost us a draft pick.

I agree with everything you said.  The bolded part I had no knowledge of.   What's the rule on that?

If we get our pick back, this becomes a 0 lose situation.

14 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

They're both humans. They're both named Mike. They're both sh*tty NFL general managers. There's three at least. Somebody who thinks there's a point to this could probably come up with more.

"Both sh*tty NFL GM's"

Lmfao, this is some next level delusion. One dismantled an entire team the other is still cleaning up the mess (while remaining competitive).  If you actually believe the nonsense you just wrote, your opinion on the sport is worthless.

Really funny joke with the name and species one too. I mean, damn that is one great knee slapper.  

Clady, 29, is three years younger than Ferguson, but he is injury prone. He has missed 30 of the past 48 games because of foot and knee injuries. Clady tore his ACL on May 28 in offseason workouts, an injury that forced him to watch the Broncos' entire Super Bowl season from the sideline. He suffered a severe LisFranc injury in Week 3 of the 2013 season and was placed on season-ending injured reserve, missing the Broncos' run to the Super Bowl that season.

When healthy, the ultra-athletic Clady (6-foot-6, 315 pounds) is one of the best pass protectors in the league. The most recent of his four Pro Bowl selections came in 2014, and he is a two-time All-Pro selection.

Clady became expendable when the Broncos acquired tackles Russell Okung and Donald Stephenson this offseason. They put Clady on the trading block in the hopes of recouping a draft pick while clearing his huge salary from the cap.

so the jets are spending 2/3 of the brick money for denvers expendable LT who will hopefully give the jets 8 starts this year and then let the guy walk next year

very high risk move, reminds me of kris "when he's healthy" jenkins

24 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Yes, I certainly was. He had the best season of his career by far so I'm at least a year's worth of wrong on that one. Still wouldn't do it over again.

Yup, I'm gonna go ahead and just ignore any opinions you might have. Knowing the numbers Marshall can still put up and deciding you wouldn't do the trade all over again for a 5th rounder is pure stupidity.  No sugar coating that one.

8 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I agree with everything you said.  The bolded part I had no knowledge of.   What's the rule on that?

If we get our pick back, this becomes a 0 lose situation.

Well we found that out last year when NE declined to pick up the year 2 option for Revis even though it was treated as a regular 2nd year contract-wise, and spread his signing bonus equally over 2014 and 2015. Because of the enormous contract we gave Revis last year, they're getting a 3rd round compensatory pick this year.

So it would stand to reason that the same would apply to us. If we don't pick up Clady's option, he then becomes a UFA. If someone else signs him for more than the veteran minimum, we would get a compensatory pick. Obviously if the Jets sign someone else's UFA that cancels that out, but if we were going to sign UFAs anyway, now this is one less compensatory pick that would get canceled out. 

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Well we found that out last year when NE declined to pick up the year 2 option for Revis even though it was treated as a regular 2nd year contract-wise, and spread his signing bonus equally over 2014 and 2015. Because of the enormous contract we gave Revis last year, they're getting a 3rd round compensatory pick this year.

So it would stand to reason that the same would apply to us. If we don't pick up Clady's option, he then becomes a UFA. If someone else signs him for more than the veteran minimum, we would get a compensatory pick. Obviously if the Jets sign someone else's UFA that cancels that out, but if we were going to sign UFAs anyway, now this is one less compensatory pick that would get canceled out. 

Great point.   Thanks

Jackie Davidson has to get some cred for coming up with creative contracts.   So far I really like the Macc/Davidson combo

5 134 Kansas City Chiefs Sanders Commings  CB Georgia SEC  
  5 135 Jacksonville Jaguars Denard Robinson  RB Michigan Big Ten  
  5 136 Philadelphia Eagles Earl Wolff  S N.C. State ACC  
  5 137 Seattle Seahawks Jesse Williams  DT Alabama SEC from Detroit [R5 - 1]
  5 138 Seattle Seahawks Tharold Simon  CB LSU SEC from Oakland [R5 - 2]
  5 139 Indianapolis Colts Montori Hughes  DT UT Martin OVC from Cleveland [R5 - 3]
  5 140 Arizona Cardinals Stepfan Taylor  RB Stanford Pac-12  
  5 141 New York Jets Oday Aboushi  G Virginia ACC  
  5 142 Tennessee Titans Lavar Edwards  DE LSU SEC  
  5 143 Buffalo Bills Jonathan Meeks  S Clemson ACC  
  5 144 New Orleans Saints Kenny Stills  WR Oklahoma Big 12  
  5 145 San Diego Chargers Steve Williams  CB California Pac-12  
  5 146 Denver Broncos Quanterus Smith  DE WKU Sun Belt from Miami via Green Bay [R5 - 4]
  5 147 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Steven Means  LB Buffalo MAC  
  5 148 Carolina Panthers A. J. Klein  LB Iowa State Big 12  
  5 149 St. Louis Rams Brandon McGee  CB Miami (FL) ACC  
  5 150 Pittsburgh Steelers Terry Hawthorne  CB Illinois Big Ten  
  5 151 Dallas Cowboys Joseph Randle  RB Oklahoma State Big 12  
  5 152 New York Giants Cooper Taylor  S Richmond CAA  
  5 153 Atlanta Falcons Stansly Maponga  DE TCU Big 12 from Chicago [R5 - 5]
  5 154 Washington Redskins Chris Thompson  RB Florida State ACC  
  5 155 Minnesota Vikings Jeff Locke  P UCLA Pac-12  
  5 156 Cincinnati Bengals Tanner Hawkinson  OT Kansas Big 12  
  5 157 San Francisco 49ers Quinton Dial  DE Alabama SEC from Indianapolis [R5 - 6]
  5 158 Seattle Seahawks Luke Willson  TE Rice C-USA  
  5 159 Green Bay Packers Micah Hyde  CB Iowa Big Ten  
  5 160 St. Louis Rams Zac Stacy  RB Vanderbilt SEC from Houston [R5 - 7]
  5 161 Denver Broncos Tavarres King  WR Georgia SEC  
  5 162 Washington Redskins Brandon Jenkins  LB Florida State ACC from New England [R5 - 8]
  5 163 Chicago Bears Jordan Mills  OT Louisiana Tech WAC from Atlanta [R5 - 9]
  5 164 Miami Dolphins Mike Gillislee  RB Florida SEC from San Francisco via Cleveland [R5 - 10]
  5 165 Detroit Lions Sam Martin  P Appalachian State SoCon from Baltimore via Seattle [R5 - 11]
  5* 166 Miami Dolphins Caleb Sturgis  K Florida SEC  
  5* 167 Green Bay Packers Josh Boyd  DT Mississippi State SEC  
  5* 168 Baltimore Ravens Ricky Wagner  OT Wisconsin Big Ten  

Did anyone hear about him going in on Friday? Our front office is very quiet and continues to get team friendly deals. It seems outside of the Revis contract (not complaining) if the player isn't willing to take a team deal then we'll find someone else. I was confident when the news broke that the deal was reasonable as well. That's a new luxury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, Jet in PA said:

Did anyone hear about him going in on Friday? Our front office is very quiet and continues to get team friendly deals. It seems outside of the Revis contract (not complaining) if the player isn't willing to take a team deal then we'll find someone else. I was confident when the news broke that the deal was reasonable as well. That's a new luxury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep...dollar amount was what was going to make this deal worth it or not, and Jets got him on a fair deal that works for both sides based on performance.  Lowers the cost for the position, but of course there's the question of his health.

56 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Chain reaction: look how much more it is to bring back Fitzpatrick because of Marshall. :) 

17 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Yep...dollar amount was what was going to make this deal worth it or not, and Jets got him on a fair deal that works for both sides based on performance.  Lowers the cost for the position, but of course there's the question of his health.

And if he misses some time, then we get to take a look at a youngster who may not end up being so bad. Then next year we don't have to repeat complaining that all the backups are "unproven" because they never saw the field.

1 hour ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

shortbus2.jpg

For a 5th?  You cannot be serious.  Marshall's single year performance and impact on the team alone was worth a 5th.  Heck, there were times he literally carried the offense on his back.  Where do you think this team would have been without him?  I'd exchange a 5th every season for that kind of impact.

8 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think it's fantastic that we're holding on to the hope of breaking 7 wins. That's definitely worth some draft stock. 

I can rationalize the move because it doesn't force us to look harder at tackle early in the draft when I'd like them looking harder at QB. If we do draft a LT then Clady can take Breno's place.

Also if a QB is drafted, and if he sees the field, you'll want him to play with better pass protection than Ferguson's 2-second protection was providing. I don't liken this to wasting $7M on Cromartie. If this helps further the goal of drafting and developing a franchise QB then I'm in favor of it.

So 1 year, 6 million is ok for an injury-prone unreliable Tackle, but Fitz wasn't worth( to some here) 7 mil a year as a Starting QB who just finished setting franchise all-time records.

Ok.

Macc (and we) better hope this guys stays healthy.  Otherwise it may not matter who plays QB, the amount of hits they'll be taking from the hole at out Tackle spots.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

So 1 year, 6 million is ok for an injury-prone unreliable Tackle, but Fitz wasn't worth( to some here) 7 mil a year as a Starting QB who just finished setting franchise all-time records.

Ok.

Yup.  Every year Clady wasn't out injured, he was one of the best LTs in the game.  So all but two years of his eight year career.

In the eleven years Fitz has been in the NFL, how many were spent as a top QB?  Top backup QB perhaps a few of 'em.

Archived