Ryan Clady a Jet [MERGED]

JetsFanatic

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clady already went through his 15 mil in guaranteed money so you can only assume he's just getting a fraction of his remaining Denver contract. I'm kind of hoping we hold onto Wilk this season but even with the franchise tag his salary is prohibitive. And he's not worth that 15 mil. Going to the Bears? 

It's totally fair to be concerned about Clady staying on the field.
But if he stays healthy we are getting a MASSIVE upgrade over Brick
considering the way he was declining.  If we add an OT in the draft
we could get a HUGE boost in OLine performance this year

55 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Would FA Beatty been a comparable signing for even less money than Clady? Saves us the 5th?

Good question, I think Clady is a better player when healthy and 19 months younger but maybe it came down to contract demands, have to think they made a phone call before making the trade

12 hours ago, sirlancemehlot said:

I'm not creating that. It's been reported that he would have remained to honor his contract, but decided once the contract was no longer going to be honored by the team due to cap issues, he would leave to preserve his health rather than risk it for lesser pay. Not my story, I'm just parroting others. 

Well he could have just said no, in which case he'd have been cut. Then he could shop his oh so valued services elsewhere. Problem is he knew no one would offer him any better than his cut-rate salary offer from the Jets. 

This is a solid move for a couple of reasons, and I'm no Maccagnan ball washer. 

First and foremost, if we do have to put a rookie QB out there this season at some point, you can't do it with Ferguson. I think only like 1 or 2 tackles in the NFL gave their QBs less time to throw than Brick last year. You simply didn't realize it because Fitz got rid of the ball instead of taking a lot of sacks on those pressures. 

Literally 10% of our pass attempts resulted in a QB pressure surrendered by Brick. And he'd have been even worse in 2016, as he was on a steady decline for 5 years running.

Clady, when healthy obviously, is a night & day upgrade to what Brick is now. But what it also does is it means he Jets can take a tackle if one is there, but we don't have to reach or trade up for one to force it. They can focus chiefly on QB and OLB while keeping an eye out for value at T and other positions. And if we take a tackle, we can then swap him in for Breno. The plan from the get go should have been to find a veteran and a rookie to replace our sh*tty pair of tackles.

Even if he misses games, we can get an actual look at Qvale or whoever else is the top backup. 

This is a MUCH better option than keeping Ferguson at $10.4M (or even half that), particularly if a rookie QB is to set foot onto the field (plus actually being able to run it to the left for a change). As for lamenting over a 5th rounder, come on. We can make an insignificant trade down of a whopping 5 slots in round 3, or 3 slots in round 2, to recoup it if that's the biggest hurdle.

Also, regarding Clady's injury history. In 2013, he missed almost the entire season with a lisfranc injury. Last year was missed because of an ACL tear. These are injuries to different body parts, so it may be more of bad luck than a degenerating body part. 

1 minute ago, Mike135 said:

There's no way to criticize a potential pro bowl LT for 6mil.  Cheers JetNation!  Great move by Macc.

Someone will find a way to criticize it  ., 6 mill and 5th rd pick for 4x pro bowler , 3 X All pro and a Top 3 LT when healthy . Sounds like a win to me . 

2 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Someone will find a way to criticize it  ., 6 mill and 5th rd pick for 4x pro bowler , 3 X All pro and a Top 3 LT when healthy . Sounds like a win to me . 

The only people that should view this as a negative are Pat fans.

Denver and the Jets just pulled off the rare win-win.  

Say what you will about Mike Tannenbaum but he's obviously a very smart guy and Maccagnan is at least smart enough to follow his blueprint for staying employed. Nobody ever wound up with his name on a banner trading draft picks for veteran players with recognizable names making millions of dollars. I say this every offseason but I'm really getting tired of having to root for the team this fanbase deserves.

2 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

Say what you will about Mike Tannenbaum but he's obviously a very smart guy and Maccagnan is at least smart enough to follow his blueprint for staying employed. Nobody ever wound up with his name on a banner trading draft picks for veteran players with recognizable names making millions of dollars. I say this every offseason but I'm really getting tired of having to root for the team this fanbase deserves.

Were you against the Marshall trade?

28 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

he's missed tons of game, the opposite of brick.

who steps in when he's injured again?

You're right. He's much better and costs about half.

Brick being on the field was no asset last year. Or the year before that. By the numbers at least, he sucked and the team - who really over-examines their own game film - certainly knew it.

Brick retiring was the best possible outcome, with or without Clady. 

I wish him well in life but really, he was a terrible run blocker and was no longer even an average pass blocker.

1 hour ago, 32EBoozer said:

I can always tell which posters came oer from the "Great Exodus"

They have 100,000 more reps than posts! lol.

I remember the heated negotiations during that time.... everyone wanted Max to honor their "Reps" from JI.

Max is a saint.

lol  I think its pretty obvious I'm not after positive rep.

19 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

he's missed tons of game, the opposite of brick.

who steps in when he's injured again?

even with Clady missing as many games, he's still been a better player.  4 pro bowls, 2 all pros.

iljana is the backup, who the staff has spoke highly of

12 hours ago, KRL said:

Ryan Clady's new deal with : 1-year deal for $6M base value with $3M guaranteed. Clady has 1 option year for $10M escalating to $13M

If this is accurate, I like it. If he gets seriously hurt again it won't look too good, obviously, but keeping Ferguson at over $10M just for this season would have been idiotic.

A stop-gap contract was what was first offered to Ferguson and he turned it down. This is another stop-gap contract and he saves (total) $4.4M over keeping Ferguson. Then if we still take a tackle in the draft he can play RT as a rookie (or Clady can flip sides) and then Breno gets cut, saving another $5M. Next year we can either keep Clady if he's still the player he once was, or draft another tackle and then we have a young pair of them.

I get some think $6M is way too much for him and preferred a rookie, but nothing prevents that from still taking place. All this means is that, if we draft one, that we keep Clady instead of Breno (at similar $). 

It was unrealistic to expect the Jets to draft 2 starting tackles this year. Particularly with the team so focused on drafting a QB, as likely as not in round 1.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2612736-ryan-clady-to-jets-latest-trade-details-comments-and-reaction

He also proved he can be durable when he played all 16 games six different times (every year of his career except 2013 and 2015) and could have some additional motivation to try to prove himself again after he was traded. 

Even at 29, Clady should theoretically be fairly fresh heading into 2016 because he didn’t play in 2015. If he is the same dominant player he was before the ACL injury, Clady may get the opportunity to play in the Super Bowl after all as he sets the tone for a new offense. 

30 minutes ago, Miss Lonelyhearts said:

We still have the same amount of draft picks. What player in the 5th is equal to Ryan Clady @ 6mil?  

If you're gonna complain at least pretend you know what you're talking about.  There are ZERO similarities between the failed abortion named Tannenbaum and Maccagnan.

I think the Jets also threw in 1.5 in incentives like, for example, games played so he could make a total of 7.5 in 2016. This is smart and worth it because if this guy on the field he's a good player. But there's no way he's going to realize any of that 2nd year money. If he stays the Jets redo the deal or they release him. 

6 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

I think the Jets also threw in 1.5 in incentives like, for example, games played so he could make a total of 7.5 in 2016. This is smart and worth it because if this guy on the field he's a good player. But there's no way he's going to realize any of that 2nd year money. If he stays the Jets redo the deal or they release him. 

Why not?

If he plays every game this year, and is even nearly a top-3 left tackle again, $10M for 1 more year is totally reasonable. Frankly it's still nominally less "new money" than Ferguson was scheduled to get in '16, and doesn't lock the team into him for longer. He's not "old" but you never know which players hit the wall in early 30s, which in mid-30s, and which even later. A guy with this injury history, who turns 30 at the start of this season, you really want on a year-to-year contract anyway.

Plus it buys the Jets one more year to draft his replacement without holding their noses to keep him for another season. If he's nothing like he used to be, as happened with Brick, then obviously this will be just a 1 year deal. 

On the flip side, if we decide not to exercise his option, we will get a pick back for him like NE did when they didn't pick up the option for Revis. So net result, when the dust settles, this doesn't even cost us a draft pick.

Archived