Gruden's QB Camp - Christian Hackenberg

Vader

2 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Doesn't Gruden basically love all of these guys. 

Gruden stresses the positives of all the QB's. Would any agent allow his client to get ripped and have his value tainted. It is the viewer who has to place a value on the positive points he stresses and you can see not only physical skills but also the mental aspect and how far he will go to emphasis both.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, JetPotato said:

I'm all for the optimism, but the "bad coaching" aspect has me thinking... what confidence do we have that Bowles and co. have the right people in place to fix and develop a young QB?

Because chan gailey has a long history of making quarterbacks look good

I'm all for the optimism, but the "bad coaching" aspect has me thinking... what confidence do we have that Bowles and co. have the right people in place to fix and develop a young QB?

No guarantees, but Gailey has been a QB guru everywhere he has gone getting the best out of mediocre QB's.  he did it again last year with Fitz part II.

I'm hoping that with two very talented young QB's on the team he can turn one of them into a silk purse

2 hours ago, jack48 said:

and Hack took pains not to blame his line or the coach.  Gruden was trying to see if he would.

I know there were rumors that Hackenberg threw the coaching staff under the bus during an interview but on the SNY post draft show Tony Pauline said that a lot of GMs said he was great in 1 on 1 interviews, took responsibility for all that went wrong.  

Lets face it, taking a stud college QB who starred the year before running the Pats offense and forcing him to run a gimmick spread offense was dumb.  Seeing how much he struggled with it and staying with it was even dumber.  He had every right to complain

Because developing QBs is what Gaily is known for and has a history of doing? 

Thats a start at least

Chan Gailey has the reputation as the QB whisperer for being able to develop or revitalize Qb's careers. Hell he's made Ryan Fitzpatrick look like a world beater for two teams - is that not enough proof. 

7 minutes ago, Colgateman said:

Because chan gailey has a long history of making quarterbacks look good

Sure, but what's to say the 64 year old is even around in a couple years to make him look good? The guy was out of the game for 3 years until Bowles brought him back. I'm not sure Chan Gailey makes it a couple more years. 

Ryan Fitzpatrick just threw 31 TDs in Chan Gailey's system. You know, the same QB no one wants now and is considering retirement at 33?

15 minutes ago, flgreen said:

No guarantees, but Gailey has been a QB guru everywhere he has gone getting the best out of mediocre QB's.  he did it again last year with Fitz part II.

I'm hoping that with two very talented young QB's on the team he can turn one of them into a silk purse

You sure about that?  This meme is vastly overstated IMO.  

His career in the pros shows he gets average to below average performance from below-average QB's.

The only pro QB he's worked with since 2008 is Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Buffalo, then here.

Before that was 2008, a very average Tyler Thigpen/Duane Huard season. No Guru here, both were below average.

Before that was 2000-2001, two VERY mediocre Jay Fielder years, no Guru here Fiedler was meh at best.

Before that was 1998-1999, tow years with Troy Aikman, a HOF QB in the mid-to-later part of his well-established career.  No Guru needed there.

Before that was 1996-1997, two VERY mediocre years w/ Pittsburg with Cordell Stewart (97) and Mike Tomczak (96).  No Guruing here, both were pretty bad.

Before that was 1989-1990, two years with Jon Elway, a HOF QB in the middle of his well established career.  No Guru needed here.

Where there hell is all this Guru'ing we keep hearing about?  Look at the stats of the QB's under Gailey, they're not nearly that good at all, especially with the weaker non-HOF QB's he's worked with.

3 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Sure, but what's to say the 64 year old is even around in a couple years to make him look good? The guy was out of the game for 3 years until Bowles brought him back. I'm not sure Chan Gailey makes it a couple more years. 

Eh, who knows? Gailey has to have an assistant who works for him, he could pass his playbook and knowledge onto so hackenberg could keep developing

24 minutes ago, jetrider said:

If you watch the Lynch episode you'll see he's more developed as a QB, has more natural talent and more to tap into. 

They're two different personalities. With the game on the line and seconds left, do or die, I'd take Lynch any day. 

Watch the Lynch episode or game tape and see how many times he picks out a secondary receiver. See how many times he directs players to correct spots or adjusts protection .

See how many times he takes snaps from under center.

Lynch has talent , but he's much more raw than Hackenberg, he's another product of a one read offense that thrived mainly on inferior competetion.  

7 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I was thinking the same thing!! 

15 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Gailey seems to get the most he can out of veterans, but what star jas he actually developed from the bottom up? Huge difference. One is about scheme and playing to strengths, the other is about footwork, eye work, arm work and homework.

9 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Nothing like a stud QB to prolong an OCs career. 

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick just threw 31 TDs in Chan Gailey's system. You know, the same QB no one wants now and is considering retirement at 33?

Dude, every QB in this league is putting up inflated numbers. Defenses can defend any more. Forget about 31 TDs. It doesnt mean much. Ryan Tannehill is currently shattering all of Dan Marino's cllub records. Its a differebt game.

Gailey did the right thing with a guy with lots of limitations. The idea with Hack is to build him up so that he has very few limitations and you can ask him to do more.

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Watch the Lynch episode or game tape and see how many times he picks out a secondary receiver. See how many times he directs players to correct spots or adjusts protection .

See how many times he takes snaps from under center.

Lynch has talent , but he's much more raw than Hackenberg, he's another product of a one read offense that thrived mainly on inferior competetion.  

Huh? You sure you watched Gruden's Lynch episode or other film? Sounds like you missed most of it.

45 minutes ago, slats said:

Jets interviewed both Lynch and Hackenberg, no? I think it's pretty obvious they went with Hackenberg because of his smarts, leadership, and maturity - all things Lynch and Cook are deficient in to varying degrees. He was one of the more intriguing QB prospects to me before the draft because he seem sped to be rated highly despite meh numbers, with a lot of blame placed on his line, supporting cast, and coaching staff. The second round was probably high for him, but no one will care if he works out in a year or two. 

Clearly the Jets like him a lot, and were probably certain he would not be there when they picked 3rd round.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

Every Jet fan needs to watch this because Gruden is speaking like a HC to his
QB and Hackenberg is able to process it.  In this day and age of spread QB's
that isn't normal

Not only that KRL, the kid was doing it in his JUNIOR season.  The guy was reading defensive coverage, calling audibles, changing coverage at the line.  I think this could work.  I LIKE what is happening here.

12 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

Dude, every QB in this league is putting up inflated numbers. Defenses can defend any more. Forget about 31 TDs. It doesnt mean much. Ryan Tannehill is currently shattering all of Dan Marino's cllub records. Its a differebt game.

Gailey did the right thing with a guy with lots of limitations. The idea with Hack is to build him up so that he has very few limitations and you can ask him to do more.

Not really this season - Defences seemed to get to grips with the new rules a bit. Brady led the league with only 5 more than Fitz.

He threw the same amount of TD's as Aaron Rodgers and more than Philip Rivers, had more rushing TD's than either and was sacked more than 20 times less than either of them. Yes he was helped a lot by Gailey and the WR's but the guy played well, limitations and all. 

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

seriously.  just watching lowlights of the penn state temple game you see why his stats were as they were.  he got the crap kicked out of him, and then he has to sit in interview after interview and smile and apologize and say it's his fault, to the same people who watch the film and know he got the crap kicked out of him.

there was one point where his atrocious o-line couldn't protect against a 2-man rush

i think his LT grabbed the DE's arm and slingshot him towards hackenberg at one point.....lol

2 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Not only that KRL, the kid was doing it in his JUNIOR season.  The guy was reading defensive coverage, calling audibles, changing coverage at the line.  I think this could work.  I LIKE what is happening here.

He was doing it in his freshman year.  Hackenberg learned learned how to do all this plus looking off safeties in the summer after graduating from high school.  No reason to think he can't be up to speed from now to sept and be able to start this year if needed.    He has shown he can do it all.  

As long as he is not Shell shocked that is. 

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

His career in the pros shows he gets average to below average performance from below-average QB's.

The only pro QB he's worked with since 2008 is Ryan Fitzpatrick.  Buffalo, then here.

Before that was 2008, a very average Tyler Thigpen/Duane Huard season. No Guru here, both were below average.

Before that was 2000-2001, two VERY mediocre Jay Fielder years, no Guru here Fiedler was meh at best.

Before that was 1998-1999, tow years with Troy Aikman, a HOF QB in the mid-to-later part of his well-established career.  No Guru needed there.

Before that was 1996-1997, two VERY mediocre years w/ Pittsburg with Cordell Stewart (97) and Mike Tomczak (96).  No Guruing here, both were pretty bad.

Before that was 1989-1990, two years with Jon Elway, a HOF QB in the middle of his well established career.  No Guru needed here.

Where there hell is all this Guru'ing we keep hearing about?  Look at the stats of the QB's under Gailey, they're not nearly that good at all, especially with the weaker non-HOF QB's he's worked with.

Listen to yourself......very average and mediocre for those guys is a borderline triumph, and didn't Stewart lead the steelers to a Super Bowl?

41 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Most of those guys were mediocre and had career years with Chan as their coach. Its not like Fiedler went on to win super bowls and league MVP's once Chan left. lol So probably a better way to look at it is that he got the most out of his players.

23 minutes ago, jack48 said:

Clearly the Jets like him a lot, and were probably certain he would not be there when they picked 3rd round.

Certain or fearful. Either way, they obviously like him a lot. 

10 hours ago, jetrider said:

Wish we had Gruden.

The Hackenberg episode is uplifting but the Lynch episode's game footage is more spectacular. Lynch does everything well.

While I really liked Lynch too we already have that guy in Bryce Petty, take a look back at BP in action for Baylor(there's nearly every drop back as a senior available to watch online) he excites me as much as PL if not moreso and the exact same positives and negatives are on display, only real difference is Lynch is 6-7 245 but at 6-3 233 Petty is plenty big enough, I actually think Petty has the better arm talent, it's extraordinary good. I love that Hack brings a different type of QB to what we already have in Petty and Geno

36 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Look we have Hack not Lynch and we could have drafted Lynch. He was our scouting staff and GM's Qb of choice. This other stuff is nonsense. We don't know who is going to be a better NFL Qb  if either. 

And I'll add to that the NFL scouts don't know who will either. As nice as it is to pretend otherwise, all NFL teams can do is make an educated guess. 

31 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

He was doing it in his freshman year.  Hackenberg learned learned how to do all this plus looking off safeties in the summer after graduating from high school.  No reason to think he can't be up to speed from now to sept and be able to start this year if needed.    He has shown he can do it all.  

As long as he is not Shell shocked that is. 

I don't think he is shell shocked, he never got up looking defeated or sad, I don't think it's too late for him

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Think the general consensus isnt that they were elite NFL QBs but at he got more production out of those QBs than their talent level would have you expect out of them.  The old turning lemons into lemonade theory.

Thats the sign of a really good QB coach/offensive coordinator. 

Archived