Bryce Petty vows to "Favre it"

Integrity28

Jets’ Bryce Petty vows to ‘Brett Favre it’ vs Jags

Lost in the quarterback shuffle of the Jets’ eventful offseason is second year man Bryce Petty.

Yet to play a down in the NFL regular season, the Baylor product is trying his best not to get lost in the depth chart again behind starter Ryan Fitzpatrick and backup Geno Smith and is eyeing the Jets’ exhibition meeting with Jacksonville this week as his best existing chance to do so.

“Light it up? Hell, yeah, that’s what I want to do,” he told the New York Daily News.

Lighting it up came easily during his collegiate career, when he was charged with operating a spirited, pass-heavy, spread offense in wide-open Big 12 play. Petty aired out almost 8,200 yards passing in four seasons, blitzing opponents for 62 touchdowns against only 10 interceptions, on 845 pass attempts.

While he’s been transitioning into the pro style offense, Petty hopes to retain the attitude that fueled his Baylor success.

“I don’t want to make execution sound boring or sound lame,” he said. “I want to go in there and Brett Favre it. Just do amazing things. That’s the way I feel you kind of have to be. There’s got to be some inspiring plays in there and some things that make them say, ‘Wow! Did you see Bryce?’ That’s what I want them to say. I want to ball out, for sure.”

Head coach Todd Bowles has stated that he wants to see more of what Petty can do in a game situation, and earmarked their exhibition slate as the best opportunity to test him out. Petty, in turn, wants to make the best of the chance, even if it turns out to be an audition for another NFL club.

“Every time I get out there, I try to get better at something,” he said. “Wherever that takes me, whether that’s playing here or playing somewhere else, whether that’s No. 2 or No. 3 here, whatever the case is, I will be a better quarterback from this camp.”

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say mission accomplished. The stat sheet looks like routine time in a preseason game, but he passed the eyeball test tonight bigtime. Good sh*t.

I mentioned that it seems like the light went on for him after his sh*ttiest day in camp. I think he's really rallied well over the past week, and tonight was a great exclamation point. Hope he keeps it up.

28 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

One of the biggest battles of the pre-season (especially considering Fitz diving head-first) is between Bryce and Geno.

All 3 showed signs of being competent. Fitz looked Ok (although almost missed a wide open enunwa on that TD drive), Geno looked OK after the first couple of passes and Petty looked OK against srubs. 

For a 1st preseason game, I am happy with our QBs performance. Hope to see Hack at some point in this preseason show some progress. 

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

One of the biggest battles of the pre-season (especially considering Fitz diving head-first) is between Bryce and Geno.

Disagree. I don't think there's a competition for the # 2 job right now. But what Petty CAN do is make this coaching staff and front office feel a lot better about letting both Fitz and Geno go after '16.

In the short term, It'll also most certainly keep him off the Practice Squad.

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not really. theres no battle here. Right now, Petty is fighting for a roster spot.l, which he can retain with average play. 

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Disagree. I don't think there's a competition for the # 2 job right now. But what Petty CAN do is make this coaching staff and front office feel a lot better about letting both Fitz and Geno go after '16.

In the short term, It'll also most certainly keep him off the Practice Squad.

Geno is the #2 unless Jerry Jones has a stroke and offers a 4th for Geno. 

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

8-14 79 yards with a TD all with not so great WRs remember Marshall and Decker were on the bench. 

Yes, and his OL was awful too but...

I felt good about Petty last year having seen his collegiate highlight reel, we knew he needed time to learn a pro style offense, and so far everything Maccagnan has touched had turned to gold so it makes sense that Bryce Petty is going to be The One we have waited for as long as those red pill people in the Matrix.

SAR I

19 minutes ago, SAR I said:

If Petty has a strong showing next week we can comfortably trade Geno who sucks. 

SAR I

I watch Geno play and it's like, geesh will this guy ever become a complete player?  Then, like after the the Raiders game I look at the stats and some of the good plays and I think, this guy seems better than he looks.  Bottom like, Geno never has passed the eyeball test.  I'm concluding that Geno is a backup and nothing more.  

I'm not saying Petty is the answer, jury's out, but Geno isn't the answer, jury's in.

ps: This is coming from someone who I was in the let Fitz walk camp.     

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Yes, and his OL was awful too but...

I felt good about Petty last year having seen his collegiate highlight reel, we knew he needed time to learn a pro style offense, and so far everything Maccagnan has touched had turned to gold so it makes sense that Bryce Petty is going to be The One we have waited for as long as those red pill people in the Matrix.

SAR I

I agree on Petty he is something special the kid can play hope the Jets see it the same way, 

1 minute ago, LIJetsFan said:

I'm thinking the bottom of our WR corps has more potential than Geno has to become a starter in this league.    

I have said it all offseason, I LOVE this group of WRs.  we are going to be making some tough cuts this summer.

We're gonna see a lot of Petty this preseason. May not see Hackenberg at all, or until mop up time in the fourth game. He and Peake started getting some props in practice tweets over the last week or so, and both brought it into last night's game. No reason they can't keep improving over the course of the next few weeks. Petty will probably get a similar amount of work next week, light work week three, and at least three quarters in the last game. He could potentially make Geno expendable. 

8 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

I'm thinking the bottom of our WR corps has more potential than Geno has to become a starter in this league.    

Geno's in the last year of his contract. The Jets aren't looking at him as a starter. They hold onto him if they believe he's significantly better than Petty and Hack as a backup. The one year, $12M deal for Fitz put the Jets squarely in win now mode. Given Fitz' style of play, they need a quality backup. 

Archived