NYJ Final Cuts Thread

Integrity28

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

I think Reilly is gone.... Middleton to PS for a little more seasoning, Watts beats out Dozier, Both Peake and Marshall make it over Thompkins.

IMHO

You think Marshall makes the team? I dont.  I think he's cut or a PS add.  Kid cant catch and he's got fumble problems.  For as much hype as he received in practice, he was a disaster in the preseason games. 

Unless he's just an absolute must have on ST's, I cant see him making the roster. 

1 hour ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I would be surprised if they cut Geno given Petty's injury, granted x-rays were negative but I doubt he will be ready to go as the  #2 opening day.  

+1

Talk about a crappy time for an injury.  Petty was looking good, admittedly vs. backups, but he was showing that he's absolutely made progress.  I was close to the point of saying he looks like a decent backup QB in the NFL.  If he had finished the game healthy and with the type of performance and stat line he was having (say 12 of 18 for 160 yards and no INTs) then it could have really made Big Macc & Co. get an itchy trigger finger to release Geno.  But there's absolutely no way they cut Geno now if Petty can't suit up in 9 days. 

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

You think Marshall makes the team? I dont.  I think he's cut or a PS add.  Kid cant catch and he's got fumble problems.  For as much hype as he received in practice, he was a disaster in the preseason games. 

Unless he's just an absolute must have on ST's, I cant see him making the roster. 

Yes I think Marshall, Anderson and Ross make the team...they will keep 6 WRs....these 3 plus B Marsh, Deck and Enunwa

Just now, Nostradamus said:

Yes I think Marshall, Anderson and Ross make the team...they will keep 6 WRs....these 3 plus B Marsh, Deck and Enunwa

I think they keep Anderson and Ross, I think Marshall takes his drops and fumbles to the practice squad.  I think Peake makes its over him.

5 minutes ago, JiF said:

I think they keep Anderson and Ross, I think Marshall takes his drops and fumbles to the practice squad.  I think Peake makes its over him.

then Ross tweaks an ankle and u have no kick returner...plus Marshall has too much talent. He wouldn't make it to PS (i don't think)....but the thing with Marshall is he has made highlight reel catches all camp.  I attended a couple practices where his talent jumped off the field.  I would be very surprised if they took Peake over him.  All of them have talent.  Whoever they cut is likely to get snagged by another team

9 minutes ago, Nostradamus said:

then Ross tweaks an ankle and u have no kick returner...plus Marshall has too much talent. He wouldn't make it to PS (i don't think)....but the thing with Marshall is he has made highlight reel catches all camp.  I attended a couple practices where his talent jumped off the field.  I would be very surprised if they took Peake over him.  All of them have talent.  Whoever they cut is likely to get snagged by another team

If Marshall had so much undeniable talent, he would have been drafted.  I dont think fumbling is a good look for a returner and I dont think drops are a good look for a receiver...and we've seen all the above from Marshall who was battling for a roster spot.

You might be right though.  Who knows? 

1 hour ago, Stark said:

After the Petty shoulder and no news on it yet, I doubt Geno goes anywhere now. I also think they keep Amaro just because we don't have a TE, unless Enunwa is going to just be the guy there.

Yes, unless we pick up a real TE off waivers we have to keep Amaro. I like Enunwa but he really isn't big enough to be an H back much less a TE. He ran most of his snaps from the slot in preseason, and last year as well though no one seemed to notice. 

These other TEs that people seem to prefer cannot block even as well as Amaro. They run poor routes, and only haven't made everyone hate them yet because they haven't played enough...and no one watches TEs block, or run routes. 

Amaro has done all that he could to ruin his career but he has a track record of being a good receiver. He has improved all the things he was bad at and maybe that has taken his focus away from the one thing he was good at.

Anyway he is the only one that could put it all together...that is again if we don't pick up someone else. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

With Devin Smith on the PUP I think that gets these young pups onto the 53.  I agree with your list.  Send Jalin Marshall to the PS and put Anderson, Peake and Ross behind Brandon Marshall, Eric Decker and Quincy Enunwa.  That's our 6 until something has to be done with Devin Smith.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Our oline is going to be the death of us.  Qb's better pay up their life insurance, actually I may be more worried about the run game.

2006 is a long time ago.  Mangini comes in and beefs up the Oline with Brick, Mangold, Faneca.   

Oline is so important yet we havent given it the attention because we have blown so many picks on trades and BAD picks.

Frustrating.

i thought the cap only counts for the top 53 players; since a player has to be released before they can sign on the practice squad and the vet minimums don't apply, shouldn't the practice squad not count, and shouldn't it not be a lot of money if it did?

Breno should be cut - you can bring him back if healthy except after the first 6 games, if we are still in the running it meant the our RT was okay - if not we can get a better deal.

Thompkins cut - the cap savings is all nice and all, but I think robbie anderson, et. al have made a real competition.

1 hour ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Sky is green.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement; right now - since we haven't announced any changes, Geno is our #2; Hopefully, this is code for we are getting rid of him, but we want to prop him up for a trade; could use the clarity, closure and salary cap - not to mention the extra spot and whatever we get for a trade.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If it were me, I'd be looking for excuses to cut an expensive, mediocre, veteran RT. Breno is simply not worth the money he makes, and if Qvale showed a pulse, you play him. The Jets, for too long, have relied on expensive stopgaps at the expense of throwing their young players into the fire. Breno is the embodiment of that.

And yet another reason Fitz is the ideal starter this season..,quick reads/release tends to hide some of this o-line's rather considerable shortcomings.

7 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This likely means that at least one player carrying a cap figure of some significance (by that I mean 600K+) will need to get the ax.  Those candidates include:

* Breno Giacomini:  $5.625M 2016 cap charge (save $5M by cutting, $625K dead money)

* Kenbrell Thompkins:  $1.67M 2016 cap charge (save $1.671M by cutting)

* Geno Smith:  $1.6M 2016 cap charge (save $1.1M by cutting/trading, $500K dead money)

* Tommy Bohannon:  $690K 2016 cap charge (save $675K by cutting, $15K dead money)

* Dexter McDougle:  $760K 2016 cap charge (save $615K by cutting, $150K dead money)

* Trevor Reilly:  $615K 2016 cap charge (save $600K by cutting, $15K dead money)

Those lower players don't save what you've posted here. Breno & Thompkins would save most of the above, but not that full figure. Not trying to single you out, as it's a common misconception.

For example, Trevor Reilly you have as saving $600K. Yes we save paying him $600K, but we don't save $600K on the cap. Cut Reilly = -$600K, then salary cap player #52 goes from not-counting to counting. We don't get to only count the top 50 if we cut Reilly. We still have to count the top 51, and the prior #52 salary slides up into the #51 slot. If you're going by overthecap.com, that next (#52) player is Burris, who'd then go from a cap hit of $0 to $588K.

So the net cap savings for cutting Trevor Reilly is $12,000. (McDougle $30,000, Bohanon $90,000, Geno $500K, etc.)

Spoiler

Personally, I'd cut Giacomini.

It's a no-brainer in my book.

He's not great when he's healthy and now he has a nagging back injury that will almost certainly be plaguing him throughout the entire season.

Ijalana can't be any worse and it would give us a little CAP space to work with.

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This likely means that at least one player carrying a cap figure of some significance (by that I mean 600K+) will need to get the ax.  Those candidates include:

* Breno Giacomini:  $5.625M 2016 cap charge (save $5M by cutting, $625K dead money)

* Kenbrell Thompkins:  $1.67M 2016 cap charge (save $1.671M by cutting)

* Geno Smith:  $1.6M 2016 cap charge (save $1.1M by cutting/trading, $500K dead money)

* Tommy Bohannon:  $690K 2016 cap charge (save $675K by cutting, $15K dead money)

* Dexter McDougle:  $760K 2016 cap charge (save $615K by cutting, $150K dead money)

* Trevor Reilly:  $615K 2016 cap charge (save $600K by cutting, $15K dead money)

Don't see them cutting mcdougle or reilly

Archived