Bills owners meet with players without Rex about Roman Firing.

GREENBEAN

What a slapdick franchise. They paid the last HC millions to leave, and now fire Roman $2 mil year to leave.

Rex wasn't at owners-players meetings before Roman's firing

Print

When the Bills shocked the NFL world and fired offensive coordinator Greg Roman on Friday morning, the organization did so after a fact-finding mission the morning following its 37-31 loss to the Jets. But the manner in which they did so is enough to raise some eyebrows.

According to multiple sources, Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula convened private meetings Friday morning with several offensive standouts to discuss the offense. They aimed to get a tenor of what was going on and picked the brains of players on several issues, including play-calling. They tried to figure out what was wrong.

Rex Ryan -- the coach who said the decision to fire Roman two games into the season was "my move, without question" -- was not present for these meetings. He wasn't in the room. Ryan also wasn't pleased when he learned of the nature of them, according to one source briefed on his thinking.

0ap3000000700351.jpg

These meetings, involving key players such as quarterback Tyrod Taylor and others, are one reason why some principals believe ownership played a role in Roman's dismissal.

Roman, who coordinated an offense that led the league in rushing last year, was fired with two years left at $2 million per year. He was dismissed despite scoring 31 points against the Jets, but after dealing with a significant clock issue late in the game.

Ryan replaced him with running backs coach Anthony Lynn, who also serves as assistant head coach. Ryan said the ball will find the hands of his playmakers more under Lynn.

Ryan said he made the decision to fire Roman, then informed ownership of the decision. One source informed of the team's thinking suggested the Pegulas used the meetings to confirm that Ryan was considering getting rid of Roman after the Bills' Week 1 loss. The same source said the Bills are "Rex's team."

Other sources, however, believe the move to fire Roman was spurred by the Pegulas meeting with players. They believe the suggestion was brought to Ryan.

Either way, the gravity of the Bills' situation just became increasingly clear

• Replies 83
    • Created
    • Last Reply
    2 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Is anyone in charge there?

Apparently the Fracking King and his child bride are ruling the roost.

Great news for us - long as their calling the shots we can be assured of lousy football in Buffalo.

46 minutes ago, Flushing Roots said:

What's mystifying to me is that his brother gave up more on defense than the OC put up on offense.

And the OC gets canned?

Guess you can't sh*tcan your twin brother.

That's one game. The Bills D held the Ravens to 13 points and the Bills still lost. 

The Bills scored 31 points against us but 7 of those points came from the defense and that Greg Salas TD was really a fluke play. 

The Bills scored 17 legit points against us and just 10 against the Ravens

9 minutes ago, Villain The Foe said:

That's one game. The Bills D held the Ravens to 13 points and the Bills still lost. 

The Bills scored 31 points against us but 7 of those points came from the defense and that Greg Salas TD was really a fluke play. 

The Bills scored 17 legit points against us and just 10 against the Ravens

If a frog had wings....

Fluke plays count on the scoreboard. They scored 24 points on offense against us. 

5 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Well sure, he's fired. Doesn't mean they fired the right guy. 

I didn't say that I agreed...necessarily. I'm presenting what they could have observed. The Bills should not be 0-2 right now. That Ravens game was on the offense. Granted, the bills D got handled on Thursday but they looked great against the Ravens. The Bills offense was suspect in both games. 

The Pegulas might reconsider the narrative they're selling here. Given the way the Marrone/Roman/eventual Rex situation is turning out, they're not going to be able to hire another coach, at all. The only reason they ended up with Rex in the first place is because they couldn't get people to interview for the job other than Mike Shanahan.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I can't tell you how much I am enjoying this.

It hits two pleasure buttons:  Vengeance on the Jim Kelly Bills who tortured my youth.  Vengeance on Rex Ryan who tortured my adulthood.

SAR I

I can't help but feel terrible for Jim Kelly though w all he's been through in his personal life.  

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

What a slapdick franchise. They paid the last HC millions to leave, and now fire Roman $2 mil year to leave.

Rex wasn't at owners-players meetings before Roman's firing

Print

When the Bills shocked the NFL world and fired offensive coordinator Greg Roman on Friday morning, the organization did so after a fact-finding mission the morning following its 37-31 loss to the Jets. But the manner in which they did so is enough to raise some eyebrows.

According to multiple sources, Bills owners Terry and Kim Pegula convened private meetings Friday morning with several offensive standouts to discuss the offense. They aimed to get a tenor of what was going on and picked the brains of players on several issues, including play-calling. They tried to figure out what was wrong.

Rex Ryan -- the coach who said the decision to fire Roman two games into the season was "my move, without question" -- was not present for these meetings. He wasn't in the room. Ryan also wasn't pleased when he learned of the nature of them, according to one source briefed on his thinking.

0ap3000000700351.jpg

These meetings, involving key players such as quarterback Tyrod Taylor and others, are one reason why some principals believe ownership played a role in Roman's dismissal.

Roman, who coordinated an offense that led the league in rushing last year, was fired with two years left at $2 million per year. He was dismissed despite scoring 31 points against the Jets, but after dealing with a significant clock issue late in the game.

Ryan replaced him with running backs coach Anthony Lynn, who also serves as assistant head coach. Ryan said the ball will find the hands of his playmakers more under Lynn.

Ryan said he made the decision to fire Roman, then informed ownership of the decision. One source informed of the team's thinking suggested the Pegulas used the meetings to confirm that Ryan was considering getting rid of Roman after the Bills' Week 1 loss. The same source said the Bills are "Rex's team."

Other sources, however, believe the move to fire Roman was spurred by the Pegulas meeting with players. They believe the suggestion was brought to Ryan.

Either way, the gravity of the Bills' situation just became increasingly clear

Who gives a **** who fired who? It sounds like high school gossip. 

I don't think the press in Buff tries to toss out the spin the way Mehta and Cimini did for Rex. Funny now that Rex is gone neither of these guys is in the loop. They both have no scoops and are usually the last to find out about a story. They just repeat what others have said first. As a matter of fact the press in Buff doesn't really like Rex. Maybe Marrone was right taking the money and getting out of there. But the owner having meetings with the players without Rex that isn't good. 

25 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Fluke plays count on the scoreboard. They scored 24 points on offense against us. 

We're not talking about our D, we're talking about their O.  If I was a Bills fan, I would *not* feel like they had a well-executed offensive plan.

I obviously wouldn't have fired the guy, but at the same time, it's hard to say that that game makes their O look like a well-oiled machine.

The Bills players complained out loud about the Buff D last year. So are they now complaining about their O? Anyways are the inmates running the asylum. And can Rex really be a head coach in the NFL. I always thought he would some day end up in the SEC and be a good recruiter etc. But I don't see him if true running an elite program. He's about a .500 coach. If he took over Alabama they wouldn't be great. 

16 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I can't help but feel terrible for Jim Kelly though w all he's been through in his personal life.  

I lived in Buffalo during those great Bills teams and Jim Kelly was a great guy in person as he was in the field. 

It wasn't his fault the Jets ownership was incompetent. 

32 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The Pegulas might reconsider the narrative they're selling here. Given the way the Marrone/Roman/eventual Rex situation is turning out, they're not going to be able to hire another coach, at all. The only reason they ended up with Rex in the first place is because they couldn't get people to interview for the job other than Mike Shanahan.

At least you finally abandoned your idiotic assertion in the other thread.  Do you "follow" now?

6 minutes ago, Pac said:

At least you finally abandoned your idiotic assertion in the other thread.  Do you "follow" now?

No. I still believe that this was all Rex, but the owners are going to take the bullet for him. The explicit message that "REX WASN'T IN THE ROOM WHEN THE MURDER TOOK PLACE" is the giveaway.

I see no scenario where Rex holds onto his job longer than the end of this season.  That team simply isn't going to win more than 6 games unless there are forfeits.  The fans are already calling for Rex's head and the cries will get louder.  It is eerily the same script we went through only they don't have two playoff runs to even confuse the fanbase.  They are all anti-Rex on the forums.  But the season is lost and there's no way they'll get a quality candidate in there now so they probably do need to ride it out with Rex and make the move in January.

Ah...good memories!

Archived