Bills owners meet with players without Rex about Roman Firing.

GREENBEAN

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

No. I still believe that this was all Rex, but the owners are going to take the bullet for him. The explicit message that "REX WASN'T IN THE ROOM WHEN THE MURDER TOOK PLACE" is the giveaway.

Anything other than a miraculous turnaround and he is getting fired.  Despite this, you think the Pegulas want to look bad here to shield Rex from criticism.

Riigghht..  makes perfect sense.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

A complete confusion of sources and who the **** is talking to who amidst scapegoating and firings. Jesus. But hey it's not like we've seen any of this before. 

One side seeking to exonerate Rex, the other seeking to make it sound like Rex is in charge of the process. Common denominator: pro-Rex. 

blood is in the water, media is going to milk this for everything it is worth.  I wonder if rex survives to November.

Greg Roman's final act with Bills was to pose for team picture

11:29 AM ET

Adam Schefter ESPN Senior Writer

Greg Roman's final act as the Buffalo Bills' offensive coordinator was to pose for the team picture that was scheduled for midday Friday, according to sources.

After Roman, and all the Bills coaches and players posed for the picture, head coach Rex Ryan informed Roman that he was relieving him of his duties.

Rex Ryan was not true to his word in saying he'd be the first to go should things go south for the Bills, but this is his team now.

But some in the Bills organization thought the changes could have been even more extensive. When some noticed that the Pegula family that owns the Bills never bothered to appear in the postgame locker room Thursday night, some wondered whether Ryan would be sent packing Friday, but it was Roman who lost his job.

Ryan told reporters Friday that firing Roman was "my move, without question."

Roman was the NFL's highest-paid offensive coordinator, a coach who makes about $2.5 million this year. The Bills will have to pay him for the next two years.

Greg Roman, left, was fired as offensive coordinator by the Bills and coach Rex Ryan just two weeks into the 2016 season.

Roman, 44, was hired shortly after the Pegulas named Ryan their head coach in January 2015. Roman previously served as the San Francisco 49ers' offensive coordinator from 2011 to '14.

The Bills replaced Roman with assistant head coach/running backs coach Anthony Lynn. The 47-year-old served as Ryan's running backs coach with the New York Jets from 2009 to '14, before joining Ryan in Buffalo last season.

Rex will probably survive to the end of the season for one very good reason - who would replace him?

Anthony Lynn is too wet behind the ears and no way in any of the nine hells can you replace Rex with Rob.  And if there even was a good coaching candidate out there right now, why would they want anything to do with this train wreck mid-season?

In a weirdly genius way, Rex has manipulated the coaching situation to give him near-complete job security this season.

1 minute ago, Pac said:

Anything other than a miraculous turnaround and he is getting fired.  Despite this, you think the Pegulas want to look bad here to shield Rex from criticism.

Riigghht..  makes perfect sense.

Right now there exists on the Bills payroll an entire staff of otherwise unhireable "coaches" whose lives depend on Rex not getting fired in two weeks. Whats playing out right now is those rats are doing everything they can to move the blame as far as they can off the coach, even if it means throwing the kindly (if dim) owners deep under the bus with conflicting rumors. Next week we'll be hearing all about how Doug Whaley screwed up the QB position by drafting EJ Manuel four years ago.

Tyrod friggin Taylor people. Does ANYONE here really believe Greg Roman wanted Tyrod Taylor as his QB? Rex tried to bring Tyrod here before he got axed. For some reason Rex has a hard on for the kid. BUF already had a solid D. What they should have been doing was everything they could to find a QB. Instead Rex thought he'd be cute again and try to win games 13 -6 all year drafting D all the time. Same sh*t, different uniform. 5 OC's in 8 seasons. If that's not an indicator of ineptness I don't know what is. Rex will never ever get competent offensive coaches to agree to work for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not a complicated issue, Bills have mediocre offensive talent and played 2 of the best defenses in the league in the Jets and Ravens. You can have the best OC known to man but it won't make a difference if you don't have the players to get it done against quality defenses. Firing  Roman 2 weeks in is a nonsensical scape-goat move.

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Are the Bills playing in London this season? I hope they fire Rob and Rex in London right after the game. i will never forget how he acted when he beat us at home last season like a child shoving it right up our asses I was close enough to see him say FU Jets.......

Sorry but I would have had the same reaction to an old boss I had just shown up

44 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

Tyrod friggin Taylor people. Does ANYONE here really believe Greg Roman wanted Tyrod Taylor as his QB? Rex tried to bring Tyrod here before he got axed. For some reason Rex has a hard on for the kid. BUF already had a solid D. What they should have been doing was everything they could to find a QB. Instead Rex thought he'd be cute again and try to win games 13 -6 all year drafting D all the time. Same sh*t, different uniform. 5 OC's in 8 seasons. If that's not an indicator of ineptness I don't know what is. Rex will never ever get competent offensive coaches to agree to work for him.

This same pattern happening again shows that yes Rex had significant influence in the draft room with the Jets despite what some want to believe. 

50 minutes ago, Snell41 said:

It's as much scapegoating as it was ineptness.  Rex blames everyone else but himself.

This is Rex's last year as a HC in the NFL - he won't need to find other OC's to work for him.

The big shocker at the end of the season would be if Rex leaves and Whaley stays. Most of us think that Rex would get rid of him by now. If Rex is fired expect a lot of leaks defending Rex and blaming others in the Bills FO and maybe the owners. Although Rex never went there with Woody. 

4 hours ago, nycdan said:

I see no scenario where Rex holds onto his job longer than the end of this season.  That team simply isn't going to win more than 6 games unless there are forfeits.  The fans are already calling for Rex's head and the cries will get louder.  It is eerily the same script we went through only they don't have two playoff runs to even confuse the fanbase.  They are all anti-Rex on the forums.  But the season is lost and there's no way they'll get a quality candidate in there now so they probably do need to ride it out with Rex and make the move in January.

Ah...good memories!

keeping rex for the season will guanarantee them a very good draft choice.

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

It's as much scapegoating as it was ineptness.  Rex blames everyone else but himself.

This is Rex's last year as a HC in the NFL - he won't need to find other OC's to work for him.

Rex Ryan has written the book on how to prolong an NFL head coaching career and ensure a second gig.

Once it's a foregone conclusion that he's going to be axed this season, watch for him to turn up the bombast so he can jumpstart his next career path-  becoming the next John Madden.  He'll be an announcer for Monday Night Football for a spell and wind up signing a deal with EA when Madden passes on.

SAR I

6 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Rex Ryan has written the book on how to prolong an NFL head coaching career and ensure a second gig.

Once it's a foregone conclusion that he's going to be axed this season, watch for him to turn up the bombast so he can jumpstart his next career path-  becoming the next John Madden.  He'll be an announcer for Monday Night Football for a spell and wind up signing a deal with EA when Madden passes on.

SAR I

I said the same thing months ago........

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The Pegulas might reconsider the narrative they're selling here. Given the way the Marrone/Roman/eventual Rex situation is turning out, they're not going to be able to hire another coach, at all. The only reason they ended up with Rex in the first place is because they couldn't get people to interview for the job other than Mike Shanahan.

That is a really good point.

Rex needed a year or two. He should have taken a TV gig and just evaluated what went wrong here. That would have been in his best interest long term. He needed to change and he didn't.

Now he will get fired early in this Buffalo tenure and this will be his last head coaching job.

He will be great on TV though.

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Right now there exists on the Bills payroll an entire staff of otherwise unhireable "coaches" whose lives depend on Rex not getting fired in two weeks. Whats playing out right now is those rats are doing everything they can to move the blame as far as they can off the coach, even if it means throwing the kindly (if dim) owners deep under the bus with conflicting rumors. Next week we'll be hearing all about how Doug Whaley screwed up the QB position by drafting EJ Manuel four years ago.

Unless somehow the Pegulas figure out a way to overpay someone to jumping in a heartbeat with this year understandably being a free pass. Who can they overpay- Cowher?  Coughlin? Lane Kiffin? And really none of those guys spare Coughlin would do it, and doubt you want an old guy screaming at people on his goddamn lawn. There are only so many guys who can do that, which means the Ryans are probably locked in until after Week 17. Heck Bills want to suck for draft position anyway.

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Problem is Madden won a Super Bowl. Rex, not so much. But granted he can break down a sack dance with the best of them. Diagram a post pattern, not so much.

9 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Well sure, he's fired. Doesn't mean they fired the right guy. 

Anyone who watched the game, not just reading the numbers knows that the offense may get credit for those points but they werent scored because of the offense and more to the point from the offensive coordinator.  Broken plays and allowing a team to score using up the clock kind of is like putting lipstick on a pig.  Those numbers look a lot better than the offense actually played

6 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Anyone who watched the game, not just reading the numbers knows that the offense may get credit for those points but they werent scored because of the offense and more to the point from the offensive coordinator.  Broken plays and allowing a team to score using up the clock kind of is like putting lipstick on a pig.  Those numbers look a lot better than the offense actually played

I think you're missing the point.  It's not that the Bill's offense was great.

It's that their defense was much worse. 

Archived