"He's not an NFL Quarterback. It's just that simple"

Paradis

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Joejet said:

Please clear something up for me.  What is the definition of stealing a paycheck?  Is Kellen Clemens stealing a paycheck because Rivers hasn't been hurt?  Does this apply to all backups at every position that don't get to play?  The way I see it is that Hackenberg was selected to learn the NFL, I don't think he has once refused to dress or go into the game.  You want to be upset about someone stealing a paycheck I think Revis would probably be a more appropriate choice?

LOL - I guess I forgot the <<sarcasm>> tag again... I made the same comments about stealing...

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Ask Gholston and DRob about "measurables".

We (and NFL GM's) should care more about film and intelligence and motivation and interviews than about so-called "measurables".

We'll never know.  Had Lynch come here (and he wasn't my preference) he might have played, and played differently than he did in Denver.  We can't know.

And Macc did, and if it doesn't work it, it could lead to his firing.

In the NFL, you don't often get to draft a second bust QB for the same team after your first QB busts.

Gholston and Drob measurables compared to QB's measurables is like comparing apples to elephants.

Lynch would have sat behind Fitz and we all know it, would they handed the keys over to Lynch sooner than Geno ???

As shown by my list of 2nd rd picks , lots of teams miss in the 2nd round, its not like the Jets have the market cornered.

IMO Macc made 1 crucial mistake this offseason and that's resigning Fitz.  A possible second is not trading Mo if the price was high enough.

46 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Is it though? Is it really... 

I mean how do you spin in it any other way? Honestly. If you take the high road about Mac "always knowing this was a project", then he's guilty of being a fcking tool for drafting him in the top 50.

Either way you slice it, it was a GROSS error, and one i haven;t seen him answer for?... why does he have to answer for it - because he makes a ton of money that us fans invest in the team. I want him to speak to the pick and either -- what's the plan, or own up to it being a mistake, so i know he's learned a valuable lesson. No different than any other job.

Atonement. I want it. 

lol, Your mellow dramatic reaction doesn't change he fact that it's a fantasy football blurb written on a site that regularly hates on the Jets, when every other team gets unbiased updates with fantasy implications. 

I'm not talking about the pick, only the publication.

I'll assess whether it's an error when there is evidence of it. Right now the pick + the decision to keep him off the field are both parts of one decision. So, effectively nothing has changed since the minute he was picked. 

Season is enough of a debacle, I don't need to join the fray of agonizing via manufacturing extra reasons to gripe.

57 minutes ago, Jetster said:

This small write up alone gives me goose bumps about our future QB Christian Hackenberg. Karma is telling me this writer will be eating these words in the not so distant future.

Jets QB picks are ALWAYS the next Namath right? Remember Browning Nagles debut? The press had him in Canton. Sanchez? The press helped him get a front page GQ gig. 

I haven't heard anything good about poor Hack. No ones believes he can play. Thank God! There are no expectations! Christian Hackenberg is destined to be the NY Jets savior because no one thinks it can happen. It's all falling into place beautifully.

I agree with you that the karma on this is very good.

AStarIsBorn.png

8 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

LOL - I guess I forgot the <<sarcasm>> tag again... I made the same comments about stealing...

Sorry about that, I didn't realize you were being sarcastic.  We have a number of fans that go way overboard and I obviously overreacted.

6 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Ah , so it doesn't matter if Lynch stunk , as long as the draft pundits felt it was a good pick.

Of course it would matter. I'm not sure what your point is here. The fact that Hack was terrible in college, was the only 4th string QB in the NFL this year, and that there is zero confidence in him to even play this year makes drafting him in the 2nd round a bad pick. Not sure what you can't understand about that. 

Guys,

You know, even good scouting and decision making doesn't make anyone know which QBs coming out of these drafts are going to be good these days. It's like anyone who thinks they can consistently predict the stock market, which no one has ever mastered. Goff is the number 1 pick and so far has looked bad, and everyone passed through 3 full rounds and into the top of the 4th round on Prescott and thus far he looks very very good. It is a crap shoot at best these days with so many QBs coming from these one read systems, which is a nice way of calling the offensive systems schoolyard football. The fact is right now nobody knows how good Hack will or won't be. In any event the Jets will probably go hard for a FA QB like Glennon or Taylor if he is released and let them start with Petty as the Backup and Hack as the 3rd QB letting him continue to learn. Yes, 2nd round QBs ca end up sitting sometimes for years till they get a chance to start. Rogers sat for 4 years behind Favre prior to starting. I guess that meant he was a bust for all those years they were waiting. 

2 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Of course it would matter. I'm not sure what your point is here. The fact that Hack was terrible in college, was the only 4th string QB in the NFL this year, and that there is zero confidence in him to even play this year makes drafting him in the 2nd round a bad pick. Not sure what you can't understand about that. 

How can you truly evaluate if the pick is bad when Hack has yet to play . By this same criteria does that make the Cowboys pick of Jaylon Smith a horrible pick too ??

I was thinking about the surefire bust that is Hack <<sarcasm>>

I realize that it was probably a reach, but I seem to remember the Jets loosing out on Farve, and some others as they were picked right before us and fans saying 'forget the value, we should have picked him in the previous round'. Even the draft gurus don't know when Hack would have been picked. Maybe 4th, Maybe 6th, or maybe, just maybe before us in the 3rd. I don't know, but if Mac thought there was a good chance that he was our guy, can you really blame him for drafting him a round too soon? Just imagine the head explosions had we passed on him for some bum and he was selected right before us in the 3rd and turned out to be a good QB in 3 years. I can see it now, 'how could the jets have passed over Hack to pick <insert bum here>'.

Consider that since 2010, these were our 2nd round picks:

Vlad, <nothing>, Steven Hill, Geno, Amaro, Devin Smith.

Does Hack really look that bad?

From 2005 we have:

Miller and Nugent, Clemmens, Harris (only good player in 2nd for a while), <nothing>, <nothing - traded that a bag of crappy FAs to move up to get Sanchez>.

So, if you go back over 10 years, the only good player picked in the 2nd (if we are assuming D. Smith is a bust - how dare he get hurt) is Harris. So, really, 'wasting' a pick on a QB - is that really that bad?

The weird part for me is that by not dressing him, the team is saying that Hack does not know enough to hand off the ball or make a couple of safe passes.  No one is saying he needs to go out and run the entire playbook.  But he should be able to execute a simple game plan designed for him which emphasizes dump offs, screens, basic running plays, etc.  If not, why would Mcc waste a second round pick on this kid?

6 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

How can you truly evaluate if the pick is bad when Hack has yet to play . By this same criteria does that make the Cowboys pick of Jaylon Smith a horrible pick too ??

You can evaluate the pick being bad based on when it was made. A 2nd round pick should be able to contribute right away. People judge picks all the time before most of these guys take a snap. This isn't something new dude. Also, comparing Hack and Jaylon are two different teams and situations. Also, Jaylon was a beast and a top ten candidate before injury. Hack was a bad college QB. 

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

The weird part for me is that by not dressing him, the team is saying that Hack does not know enough to hand off the ball or make a couple of safe passes.  No one is saying he needs to go out and run the entire playbook.  But he should be able to execute a simple game plan designed for him which emphasizes dump offs, screens, basic running plays, etc.  If not, why would Mcc waste a second round pick on this kid?

I disagree with that. 

That is all conjecture. 

There is a very good chance that Hack sucks. But none of us will know for sure until we see him play in a live game or he completely flames out. 

For now, the Jets stated plan was to not let him play at all this year so the only thing one can accurately derive from this decision is they are sticking to their guns. 

With that being said, I hope I don't break my TV when that worthless piece of crap Fitzpatrick throws his 9th INT Sunday. 

We know nothing about Hackenburg and the way he's looked this season.  any article like this is all speculation. 

Hackerburg is no less of a pick than he was when they picked him.  You might have hated the pick then but nothing should be viewed differently because he hasn't played this year.

3 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

I disagree with that. 

That is all conjecture. 

There is a very good chance that Hack sucks. But none of us will know for sure until we see him play in a live game or he completely flames out. 

For now, the Jets stated plan was to not let him play at all this year so the only thing one can accurately derive from this decision is they are sticking to their guns. 

With that being said, I hope I don't break my TV when that worthless piece of crap Fitzpatrick throws his 9th INT Sunday. 

Ludicrous plan to waste a roster spot on a 4th qb when most teams only carry 2

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You can evaluate the pick. Wing bad based on when it was made. A 2nd round pick should be able to contribute right away. People judge picks all the time before most of these guys take a snap. This isn't something new dude. Also, comparing Hack and Jaylon are two different teams and situations. Also, Jaylon was a beast and a top ten candidate before injury. Hack was a bad college QB

Yeah and most of those people are draft pundits or fans who have no skin in the game, if they're wrong oh well. Mel Kiper has a top 100 list that usually lasts up through the 5th round of the draft but he's an expert. Plus anyone that gets picked - he says I loved this kid etc.... I don't care what someone says about a player I judge by how they play, so far Hack hasn't had any meaningful action so there's nothing to judge. 

Hack was a highly regarded/recruited QB entering college and was a beast his freshman year playing for O'Brien at PSU.  If you want to disregard that go ahead. .

55 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

I mean I hear you but... The dude gambles a different way... He makes one really big gamble that may or may not pay off later, and we want him to "answer" for it. And say what? "I resign because I made a leap of a pick 9 months ago and he hasn't played just like I said... My bad I guess?" I don't get what he needs to say at this point..

I don't know what people want anymore. They want a QB, but they don't want to take risks getting him. They want a GM that will take chances and build a good roster, but not if that means taking a few risks. They want to rebuild but also keep winning...

MM is a good GM so far. Not amazing, not great, but good... Just look at the money the Jets can shed this off season. A lot of that is because he built these contracts this way so we weren't stuck with 5 years of most of these guys. 

It's a huge leap of a pick. Chances are like 90% of the QBs that come into this league, it may not work out. But he took a swing, and we're still waiting to see if he hits it, and I'm okay with that for now. Maybe I'll change my tune in another 16 months. But for now I'm saying that he went with some unconventional draft wisdom, and lets see what happens. 

Anyway this isn't meant to be harsh against anyone. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I just don't understand how people already want this guy to walk the plank. He's been solid. He's taken a few risks. He's tried to balance young incoming talent with vets that should have played better (outside of Fitz. Hated that signing)

Great post. Because he didn't pick the guy Mel Kiper or Mike Mayock picked he's already a bust, lol. How old were Brady, Rogers, when they got their chance? It might be because he's 21 years old, Macc saw great upside if brought along properly & have him completely immersed in the playbook, film room, so when he's 23 he might have much more maturity, knowledge of the NFL, how to prepare, how to work out ect.

Throwing him behind an Oline missing 4 starters does nothing for him! In fact I'd love to see everyone's hero Dak Prescott behind our Oline with our offense vs the Cheaters in Gillette in the pouring cold rain,lol. I guarantee you it would not be pretty.

1 hour ago, Patriot Killa said:

GM's shouldn't be fired by year two unless they do a bang up job like Idzik did. GM's draft picks need time to develop. The grand scheme of things are more important in a GM's job while a HC needs success or improvement..in our fan bases case..results more than anything but I don't think MM needs to be fired. Hack will get the opportunity to start next year. That was the decision from the get go.

I don't think Mac should be fired but also didn't think Idzik should be.  Mac's performance, IMO, has been substantially worse than Idzik.  Mac took over a team two years ago - and it is in FAR worse position than it was when he took over.

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

We know nothing about Hackenburg and the way he's looked this season.  any article like this is all speculation. 

Hackerburg is no less of a pick than he was when they picked him.  You might have hated the pick then but nothing should be viewed differently because he hasn't played this year.

Not true.

He was bad in college after Robinson left, putrid in preseason and has been so bad in practice

5 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

You can evaluate the pick being bad based on when it was made. A 2nd round pick should be able to contribute right away. People judge picks all the time before most of these guys take a snap. This isn't something new dude. Also, comparing Hack and Jaylon are two different teams and situations. Also, Jaylon was a beast and a top ten candidate before injury. Hack was a bad college QB. 

Based on your logic of a second round pick being able to contribute right away then the Denver pick of Lynch in the first round is a horrible pick as he has sat behind a so so 7th round pick from the year before.  I'm not trying to say that Hack will or won't be a good pick but I am willing to wait and see how it pans out.  Favre was a second round pick that didn't play and was then traded but turned out ok.  Once again not saying Hack is Favre or even close, just saying let's not falsely label him without giving him a chance.

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

It's a special kind of terrible when the media basically decides it's safe to be overtly negative and sarcastic. 

I want to know, why do you think Mac doesn't need to answer to this? It seems like people just keep making up excuses for why we spent a top 50 pick in the draft, on a guy who is so fcking damaged, he can't even get a sniff in a game vs EJ Manuel? 

Why doesn't he have to answer to that? 

Because they had a plan for Hackenburg. It was to sit the entire year and learn. One has to believe that with four quarterbacks on the roster he probably did not get many reps at all. Do you really want to put him in a meaningless game when this kid probably had limited reps the entire year ? One more game will not be the end of the world for him to sit. As excited as we all are to see if Hackenburg is the real deal let's give the GM props for sticking to what he believes in.

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

seriously. as sh*tty as Hack has been he could have been a 7th round pick or undrafted. The Jets outbid themselves for a scrub no one else wanted. 

And you know this based on the other 31 NFL teams intentions?

This topic is nauseating.

3 minutes ago, drdetroit said:

Not true.

He was bad in college after Robinson left, putrid in preseason and has been so bad in practice

he actually wasn't putrid in preseason.  He looked good on a couple of drives...in fact he was impressive at times.  I have no idea how he's looked in practice - you might have so I can't argue with you about that - but I haven't heard bad things.

they always said he was a project and always said he wasn't going to play this year - -you don't judge a "project" in one year - especially when they also said they didn't even work on the things they need to work on with him.  

I'm not making excuses for this mess of an organization - but I'm not ready to call Hack a bust yet - simply because he hasn't played in a year when the CS, GM, Owner all said he wouldn't play.

They are absolutely correct.  In the same draft where Dak, Kessler, Brisset played, we can't even put Hack in the most meaningless game of the year.

Thats a huge FAIL on our GM and entire scouting department.

This is more fire worthy than Bowles.  Unless Woody forced the pick.  Then Woody deserves everything he gets this year and next.

Archived