"He's not an NFL Quarterback. It's just that simple"

Paradis

• Replies 473
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also think that starting Hack is lose/lose/.../lose situation. In fact, other then making some fans feel better, I don't see an upside with it. Consider the following:

If he starts and gets hurt (which is likely with this OL and Fitz sitting behind him) then we have two QBs who are rehabbing in the offseason.

If he starts and sucks (which is likely considering the OL, WRs are still raw, and he isn't ready) he and team need to carry this into the offseason; And, all of the he is a bust we need to sign a vet crap will just get amplified.

If he starts and plays well (which is possible considering what the bills are going through) we will get the 'if he only started sooner' crap.

If he start and plays well and we still fire OC or HC (because hey they should have started him sooner) and then he has one bad play/game under a new regime we get the why did we fire the HC/OC) crap?

If he starts and plays poorly, we get the fire Mac bs.

If he plays well and we work on his mechanics and he suffers than why did we f' with his mechanics.

If he sucks and we loose than we tanked for a better draft pick; if he plays well and we win, we blew the draft picks to save Bowles job.

One game at the end of the season playing with this OL against a beaten opponent isn't going to mean anything. One game isn't enough time to truly evaluate a player, but it is more than enough for the media and fans to get all worked up. One game isn't going to make or break Mac or Bowles but it will be enough to fuel the discourse for the whole offseason. One game won't mean anything other than Mac didn't stick to his guns and redshirt the kid after all

46 minutes ago, Paradis said:

It's a special kind of terrible when the media basically decides it's safe to be overtly negative and sarcastic. 

I want to know, why do you think Mac doesn't need to answer to this? It seems like people just keep making up excuses for why we spent a top 50 pick in the draft, on a guy who is so fcking damaged, he can't even get a sniff in a game vs EJ Manuel? 

Why doesn't he have to answer to that? 

We'll, THIS just ruined the opportunity for me to laugh even louder at my hecklers as I anticipated Fitz being benched for every other QB on the team this season. 

Hack must be F'ing terrible if he can't even replace Fitz at this point. 

What a shame that draft pick was. 

35 minutes ago, bitonti said:

rotoworld hates the Jets but they are actually right about this. Christian Hackenberg stole his paychecks this year and hasn't contributed to this team in any way 

people talk about firing Bowles? Nothing Bowles has done is as bad as Mac's 2nd round picks. 

I'm starting to feel this way as well.  While I haven't been a huge fan of his coaching, I'm not sure who would have done well with the trash that wears green.  No defense of Bowles, but Macc has done him, and the Jets, not one favor beyond sitting at the controls when Williams slid.

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I'm starting to feel this way as well.  While I haven't been a huge fan of his coaching, I'm not sure who would have done well with the trash that wears green.  No defense of Bowles, but Macc has done him, and the Jets, not one favor beyond sitting at the controls when Williams slid.

He has no idea what he's doing.

Forgetting hope and fantasy for a minute, the truth, as hard as it is to stomach, is that right now Fitz > Petty > Hack.  We've just seen Petty for a short audition and he looked overmatched.  Putting Hack out there hoping he turns into Dak Prescott is basically fantasy.

We basically have no QB...

25 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

You just answered your own question, you don't draft projects with 2nd round picks.  You draft immediate starters or very soon to be starters.  You take gambles with your later round picks, not your 2nd rounder.

I mean I hear you but... The dude gambles a different way... He makes one really big gamble that may or may not pay off later, and we want him to "answer" for it. And say what? "I resign because I made a leap of a pick 9 months ago and he hasn't played just like I said... My bad I guess?" I don't get what he needs to say at this point..

I don't know what people want anymore. They want a QB, but they don't want to take risks getting him. They want a GM that will take chances and build a good roster, but not if that means taking a few risks. They want to rebuild but also keep winning...

MM is a good GM so far. Not amazing, not great, but good... Just look at the money the Jets can shed this off season. A lot of that is because he built these contracts this way so we weren't stuck with 5 years of most of these guys. 

It's a huge leap of a pick. Chances are like 90% of the QBs that come into this league, it may not work out. But he took a swing, and we're still waiting to see if he hits it, and I'm okay with that for now. Maybe I'll change my tune in another 16 months. But for now I'm saying that he went with some unconventional draft wisdom, and lets see what happens. 

Anyway this isn't meant to be harsh against anyone. I'm not trying to be a jerk. I just don't understand how people already want this guy to walk the plank. He's been solid. He's taken a few risks. He's tried to balance young incoming talent with vets that should have played better (outside of Fitz. Hated that signing)

Here's a list of the 2016 2nd round draft picks. I guess there's a lot of other dumb GM's out there right ??

2 32 Cleveland Browns Emmanuel Ogbah  DE Oklahoma State Big 12  
  2 33 Tennessee Titans Kevin Dodd  OLB Clemson ACC  
  2 34 Dallas Cowboys Jaylon Smith  OLB Notre Dame Ind. (FBS)  
  2 35 San Diego Chargers Hunter Henry  TE Arkansas SEC  
  2 36 Jacksonville Jaguars Myles Jack  OLB UCLA Pac-12 from Baltimore [R2 - 1]
  2 37 Kansas City Chiefs Chris Jones  DT Mississippi State SEC from San Francisco [R2 - 2]
  2 38 Miami Dolphins Xavien Howard  CB Baylor Big 12 from Jacksonville via Baltimore [R2 - 3]
  2 39 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Noah Spence  DE Eastern Kentucky OVC  
  2 40 New York Giants Sterling Shepard  WR Oklahoma Big 12  
  2 41 Buffalo Bills Reggie Ragland  ILB Alabama SEC from Chicago [R2 - 4]
  2 42 Baltimore Ravens Kamalei Correa  LB Boise State MW from Miami [R2 - 5]
  2 43 Tennessee Titans Austin Johnson  DT Penn State Big Ten from Philadelphia via Los Angeles [R2 - 6]
  2 44 Oakland Raiders Jihad Ward  DE Illinois Big Ten  
  2 45 Tennessee Titans Derrick Henry  RB Alabama SEC from Los Angeles [R2 - 7]
2015 Heisman Trophy winner
  2 46 Detroit Lions A'Shawn Robinson  DT Alabama SEC  
  2 47 New Orleans Saints Michael Thomas  WR Ohio State Big Ten  
  2 48 Green Bay Packers Jason Spriggs  OT Indiana Big Ten from Indianapolis [R2 - 8]
  2 49 Seattle Seahawks Jarran Reed  DT Alabama SEC from Buffalo via Chicago [R2 - 9]
  2 50 Houston Texans Nick Martin  C Notre Dame Ind. (FBS) from Atlanta [R2 - 10]
  2 51 New York Jets Christian Hackenberg  QB Penn State Big Ten  
  2 52 Atlanta Falcons Deion Jones  LB LSU SEC from Houston [R2 - 11]
  2 53 Washington Redskins Su'a Cravens  LB USC Pac-12  
  2 54 Minnesota Vikings Mackensie Alexander  CB Clemson ACC  
  2 55 Cincinnati Bengals Tyler Boyd  WR Pittsburgh ACC  
  2 56 Chicago Bears Cody Whitehair  G Kansas State Big 12 from Seattle [R2 - 12]
  2 57 Indianapolis Colts T. J. Green  CB Clemson ACC from Green Bay [R2 - 13]
  2 58 Pittsburgh Steelers Sean Davis  S Maryland Big Ten  
  2 59 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Roberto Aguayo  K Florida State ACC from Kansas City [R2 - 14]
  2 60 New England Cheaters Cyrus Jones  CB Alabama SEC  
  2 61 New Orleans Saints Vonn Bell  S Ohio State Big Ten from Arizona via New England [R2 - 15]
  2 62 Carolina Panthers James Bradberry  CB Samford SoCon  
  2 63 Denver Broncos Adam Gotsis  DT Georgia Tech ACC  

I've bolded some of the better picks. Can you imagine if MM took Roberto Aguayo .

44 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Does it really matter if Hack plays in this game. If he did and played poorly the masses here would label him a bust and crucify everyone in Florham Park. If he played and did ok , the masses here would say big deal its a meaningless  game against a team who's starting their backup and just fired their HC.

I'd love to see Hack play simply because I cannot stand seeing Fitz take 1 more snap for this team , but either way a one game cameo would do nothing to answer if he could be our starter in 2017.

Seems like Hack is already being crucified for having a bad game in preseason!

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Here's a list of the 2016 2nd round draft picks. I guess there's a lot of other dumb GM's out there right ??

2 37 Kansas City Chiefs Chris Jones  DT Mississippi State SEC from San Francisco [R2 - 2]
  2 38 Miami Dolphins Xavien Howard  CB Baylor Big 12 from Jacksonville via Baltimore [R2 - 3]
  2 43 Tennessee Titans Austin Johnson  DT Penn State Big Ten from Philadelphia via Los Angeles [R2 - 6]
  2 48 Green Bay Packers Jason Spriggs  OT Indiana Big Ten from Indianapolis [R2 - 8]
  2 49 Seattle Seahawks Jarran Reed  DT Alabama SEC from Buffalo via Chicago [R2 - 9]
  2 59 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Roberto Aguayo  K Florida State ACC from Kansas City [R2 - 14]
  2 61 New Orleans Saints Vonn Bell  S Ohio State Big Ten from Arizona via New England [R2 - 15]

I've bolded some of the better picks. Can you imagine if MM took Roberto Aguayo .

I really had my eye on Cody Whitehair... I thought a rebuit line would really push the Jets a step further this season... Open up the running lanes more, or protect whoever the QB would be... I guess with all the injuries that would have been a nice addition to have but who knew?.... Also Myles Jack and Jason Spriggs were also faves but I didn't imagine they'd fall to the Jets.

If the blurb writer were someone named, someone worth taking at their word, this would be devastating and withering criticism.

But lets be honest, it's likely someone as ignorant and poorly informed as your average forum poster.  So...yeah.

Book will be written on Hack in 2017.  If, come that time, Hack is still as he is today, it's a startlingly bad reflection on Macc and his ability to recognize talent.

Put in it's simplest form, in the "Not For Long" NFL, Hack MUST be competing legitimately for teh #1 QB Job in Camp/Preseason in 2017, or Macc looks like sh*t and becomes the hot-seat GM for that year.

His only potential saving grace is to bring in a "Big Name (TM)" QB and to have that big name guy win the job and play well in a winning season.  Many will forget Hack exists if that happens.

Which scares me, because it increases the odds of a Romo or Cultler or lord save us, Hoyer, type trade or signing.  

There is much to fear with the forthcoming offseason.  Much to fear.

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Put Deion Jones on this Jets D and Lee on the Falcons D and you might not be saying that and I'm a bigtime LSU fan.

Lee had a fine rookie year.  We need to switch to a 4-3 anyway and try to finally develop some pass rushers

The only guy I take over Lee at 20 is Hunter Henry

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

If the blurb writer were someone named, someone worth taking at their word, this would be devastating and withering criticism.

But lets be honest, it's likely someone as ignorant and poorly informed as your average forum poster.  So...yeah.

Book will be written on Hack in 2017.  If, come that time, Hack is still as he is today, it's a startlingly bad reflection on Macc and his ability to recognize talent.

Put in it's simplest form, in the "Not For Long" NFL, Hack MUST be competing legitimately for teh #1 QB Job in Camp/Preseason in 2017, or Macc looks like sh*t and becomes the hot-seat GM for that year.

His only potential saving grace is to bring in a "Big Name (TM)" QB and to have that big name guy win the job and play well in a winning season.  Many will forget Hack exists if that happens.

Which scares me, because it increases the odds of a Romo or Cultler or lord save us, Hoyer, type trade or signing.  

There is much to fear with the forthcoming offseason.  Much to fear.

I agree our QB situation is a mess , but I have no problem with a GM using a 2nd round draft pick on a QB that has  the measurables and an  NFL arm that Hack has.

Would we have crucified Macc for trading up to the 1st round and taking Paxton Lynch ??

Sometimes you have to roll the dice on draft picks especially when it comes to QB's .

47 minutes ago, bitonti said:

seriously. as sh*tty as Hack has been he could have been a 7th round pick or undrafted. The Jets outbid themselves for a scrub no one else wanted. 

And you know he has been sh*tty in practice how??  I love posters that did not like the pick so they just make stuff up as needed to support their argument.  

Right after the pick Macc stated he would red shirt and he has.  We saw one pre season game.  Just like Jets fans to say a guy is a bust before he ever plays a single snap in the NFL.   

For christ sakes can the guy play before we scream he sucks. 

15 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

If Jaylon Smith gets healthy and plays up to pre-injury ability the Cowboys will be downright scary.  

Btw, the Raiders drafted a guy named "Jihad"??

9 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

And stealing his paycheck.

Please clear something up for me.  What is the definition of stealing a paycheck?  Is Kellen Clemens stealing a paycheck because Rivers hasn't been hurt?  Does this apply to all backups at every position that don't get to play?  The way I see it is that Hackenberg was selected to learn the NFL, I don't think he has once refused to dress or go into the game.  You want to be upset about someone stealing a paycheck I think Revis would probably be a more appropriate choice?

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

I agree our QB situation is a mess , but I have no problem with a GM using a 2nd round draft pick on a QB that has  the measurables and an  NFL arm that Hack has.

Would we have crucified Macc for trading up to the 1st round and taking Paxton Lynch ??

Sometimes you have to roll the dice on draft picks especially when it comes to QB's .

He could have just taken him at 20. Your hypothesis is flawed. 

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

It wasn't a bad game. It was a world-historically awful game. He had less than 2 YPA and a pick six against guys who were loading trucks a week later.

It was still 1 game and it was preseason.  I didn't see the game but maybe we were starting a bunch of guys loading trucks as well?

1 minute ago, 56mehl56 said:

Ask Gholston and DRob about "measurables".

We (and NFL GM's) should care more about film and intelligence and motivation and interviews than about so-called "measurables".

We'll never know.  Had Lynch come here (and he wasn't my preference) he might have played, and played differently than he did in Denver.  We can't know.

And Macc did, and if it doesn't work it, it could lead to his firing.

In the NFL, you don't often get to draft a second bust QB for the same team after your first QB busts.

50 minutes ago, bitonti said:

seriously. as sh*tty as Hack has been he could have been a 7th round pick or undrafted. The Jets outbid themselves for a scrub no one else wanted. 

I agree. Hack has been horrible this year. He has zero completions, zero TDS. How is that even possible? It's as if he hasn't played a game.....oh wait. 

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

If Jaylon Smith gets healthy and plays up to pre-injury ability the Cowboys will be downright scary.  

Btw, the Raiders drafted a guy named "Jihad"??

But imagine if we drafted Smith. We'd hear how can you take a LB that may never play in the NFL, he's clearly injured what idiots.

Archived