Jets OC Chan Gailey fuels speculation about future with cryptic remark

Gas2No99

Jets OC Chan Gailey fuels speculation about future with cryptic remark

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F0518%2Fr84271_12

Chan Gailey, who turns 65 next week, said he still enjoys coaching but stopped short of saying he wants to coach the Jets in 2017. AP Photo/Julio Cortez

The DICKSTER!

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Chan Gailey sounded like a man who doesn't expect to be back with the New York Jets.

In his final news conference of the season, the Jets' offensive coordinator, who turns 65 next week, said he still enjoys coaching. But he stopped short of saying he wants to coach the Jets in 2017.

"I've always loved to coach, I’ve always loved to do that," he said Thursday. "I think it’s in my blood. I think it’ll be there until I go to the grave."

Asked specifically he wants to return to the Jets' staff, Gailey replied, "I said I love football and that I love to coach. I always love to coach. That’s all I said."

He described this year as "unsettling," the most difficult season in his coaching career. Maybe he already knows he will be fired. Or maybe he's planning to retire.

If Todd Bowles survives the season, which is expected, he will make changes to his staff. Count on it. Fair or not, a team that endures this type of season usually shakes up the staff. Gailey has presided over one of the worst units in the league, so he could be the sacrificial lamb even though the defensive performance has been more egregious than that of the offense.

A year ago, the Jets were 10th (total yards) and 11th (scoring) in the offensive rankings. This season, they're 25th and 30th, respectively. They've been held to six or fewer points in four games, the most in the league.

It's wrong to say it's Gailey's fault. He has started three different quarterbacks (none of whom has played well), he lost wide receiver Eric Decker early in the year and his offensive line is down to only one original starter. It's bleak.

Gailey was lured out of retirement by Bowles in January of 2015, and his first season as the coordinator was fantastic. Reunited, Gailey and Ryan Fitzpatrick formed a smart and seasoned playcaller-quarterback tandem. Fitzpatrick set the franchise record with 31 touchdown passes, but he has bottomed out this year.

"Everybody’s physical skills wane with years once you reach your peak," Gailey said of Fitzpatrick. "He still has lots of skills. Are they what they were the first time I saw him? No, they’re not."

Some might be wondering the same thing about Gailey.

"I probably didn’t get totally dumb in one year," he said. "You have to keep up. You have to change. You have to adjust. I think we’ve done that fairly well through the years. How do you know? You think so, but you don’t know."

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, johnnysd said:

Bowles is the issue not Gailey. Both the Jets under Woody are a team of half measures and hedges.

Chan gets the blames and dumb ass Bowles gets to stop?

On the bright side 2018 may be a good QB draft, and if Bowles is about a defo top 5 pick will be ours :-)

If he enjoys coaching so much, maybe he should give it a try sometime.  As far as getting dumb in one year, he happens to be right.  To get this dumb takes years of dedication and effort. You have to change/adjust to keep up? Yeah, right.  Run left into the line on first down, no gain.  Run right into the line on second down two yards.  Third  down and eight, five yard screen pass, incomplete. Punt.  REPEAT.  That's how you know, Chan.  Remember "we don't do trick plays", Right? Bye  Bye.

It will be somewhat surprising if he gets fired because it hurts Hackenberg's development (continuity - sepnt whole year learning this system, etc).

Nevertheless, if he gets fired or retires, there are two intriguing options.

1- MikeMcCoy - SD head coach will liekley be fired.  He was a great OC before hand.

2- Norv Turner - Not head coach material, but solid OC.

Gailey's offense is from a lost era. it's scared to pass when the rules beg you to pass. It's run, run, 3rd and long pass, punt. It's very passive. Too often it's 3 and out, burning the defense out. Only time they get pass happy is inside the 20s for reasons known only to themselves, and then the offense looks dumber than a box of rocks.Formations scream pass or run, taking guesswork out of things for a defense.  Inexplicably they used Forte like he was Chris Ivory, running between the tackles when he is not that kind of back. There doesn't appear to be a hurry up/2 minute drill.

He was a bad hire. There are lots of available smart young aggressive offensive coaches at all levels of college and the NFL. Gailey was a braindead hire in the first place. He survived only because for 15 games last year Fitz had an off the charts year. Now that he's regressed to his mean, Gailey's been exposed as a hack funding his IRA. 

Don't let the door hit you in the keister, Chan. 

Chan is the one hire I can give him a pass on.  As a first year HC it's nice to have a veteran who has HCing experience on your staff.  And Chan's history suggested he'd at least do a LITTLE better overall than he has done.

But yeah, time for them to bring in someone else.  And a new DC.  And a new ST coach.  It's just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, but at least those chairs will be a little more comfortable and come with sweet cup holders. 

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Chan is the one hire I can give him a pass on.  As a first year HC it's nice to have a veteran who has HCing experience on your staff.  And Chan's history suggested he'd at least do a LITTLE better overall than he has done.

But yeah, time for them to bring in someone else.  And a new DC.  And a new ST coach.  It's just re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic, but at least those chairs will be a little more comfortable and come with sweet cup holders. 

Problem is, the captain (HC) must take the fall as well, just like the Titanic. 

20 minutes ago, Dinamite said:

It will be somewhat surprising if he gets fired because it hurts Hackenberg's development (continuity - sepnt whole year learning this system, etc).

1- MikeMcCoy - SD head coach will liekley be fired.  He was a great OC before hand.

Mike McCoy as the HC like someone here suggested?  F*ck no.  Mike McCoy as the the offensive coordinator?  Yes sir.

13 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Chan is the one hire I can give him a pass on.  As a first year HC it's nice to have a veteran who has HCing experience on your staff. 

I'm pretty sure I read early on when Bowles arrived that having Chan along with HC experience was seen as bonus to give the Rookie HC some advice.

I'm not going to sit here either and criticize Chan after 2 years where Year 1 was fine and Year 2 involves a makeshift Oline and very poor QB play.

If he goes I can understand why and have no problem with it. A performance like this year costs people jobs regardless of their level of responsibility in it.  If he stays I still have no problem with it. 

If he does go then Mike McCoy or Norv Turner. 

1 hour ago, Dinamite said:

Go after Mike McCoy for OC and Gus Bradley for DC! Let's get some experienced leadership underneath Bowles

Archived