Cotchery to asst coach Carolina Panthers

southparkcpa

Head coach Ron Rivera announced at the NFL Combine on Thursday that the team has brought back Jerricho Cotchery as an assistant coach, specifically to work with the wide receivers.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article135954328.html

Always a favorite of mine.  Was at NC State when my daughter was there.   Great player. Happy for him!

34 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Head coach Ron Rivera announced at the NFL Combine on Thursday that the team has brought back Jerricho Cotchery as an assistant coach, specifically to work with the wide receivers.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article135954328.html

Always a favorite of mine.  Was at NC State when my daughter was there.   Great player. Happy for him!

Good for him.  I liked him....

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

IIRC he wanted to leave because he didn't want to be the number three. Regardless, I would have kept him.

This.

He wanted to return as one of the top 2 WRs. Team said no, so he wanted out. Then he signed on with the Steelers to be their #4 WR.

Jerricho+Cotchery+Mark+Sanchez+Tennessee

Jericho Cotchery is the epitome of a hard-working unselfish player, was proud to watch him play for the Jets and missed him when he left.

Speaking on behalf of all 16,500 PSL owners, we wish him nothing but the best of luck.

SAR I

I loved the Crotch. Still have his poster (game day give out). Total gamer.  Plus, all of his kids are adopted, which I have a personal soft spot for. When the Jets got into the POs 2009 season, we all went down to the first row (which wasn't far) in The Old Dump, leaned over the railing, and high-fived practically everyone on the team when they did their victory lap. What a nice, sweet dude. He had just adopted his first kid, daughter Jacey, and when I asked him how she was, he was so taken aback, he stopped in his tracks. "She's good, she's good!" I had recently read an article that he was initially conflicted about adopting, so I yelled down to him, "I'm adopted, too, thank you, Sir, you'll be fine. Blessings to you and your family!"  He almost started crying. What a nice memory. I was bummed over the Panthers loss specifically for him (but he had a bad day). Yeah, sometimes I'm a Sentimental Sally. I'll always wish him well. 

Image result for cotchery catch cleveland

1 hour ago, jetophile said:

I loved the Crotch. Still have his poster (game day give out). Total gamer.  Plus, all of his kids are adopted, which I have a personal soft spot for. When the Jets got into the POs 2009 season, we all went down to the first row (which wasn't far) in The Old Dump, leaned over the railing, and high-fived practically everyone on the team when they did their victory lap. What a nice, sweet dude. He had just adopted his first kid, daughter Jacey, and when I asked him how she was, he was so taken aback, he stopped in his tracks. "She's good, she's good!" I had recently read an article that he was initially conflicted about adopting, so I yelled down to him, "I'm adopted, too, thank you, Sir, you'll be fine. Blessings to you and your family!"  He almost started crying. What a nice memory. I was bummed over the Panthers loss specifically for him (but he had a bad day). Yeah, sometimes I'm a Sentimental Sally. I'll always wish him well. 

Oh man.. good story. Thank you.

13 hours ago, SAR I said:

Jerricho+Cotchery+Mark+Sanchez+Tennessee

Jericho Cotchery is the epitome of a hard-working unselfish player, was proud to watch him play for the Jets and missed him when he left.

Speaking on behalf of all 16,500 PSL owners, we wish him nothing but the best of luck.

SAR I

So season tix holders who don't have PSLs want him to die in a plane crash? 

2 hours ago, jetophile said:

I'm so glad you posted this.  I didn't know any of it.  Must have missed the first time you posted it years ago. 

1 hour ago, Dcat said:

I'm so glad you posted this.  I didn't know any of it.  Must have missed the first time you posted it years ago. 

They had adopted her about a year and half before. He and his wife named her Jacey as an acronym. Jacey/J.C. = Jerricho Cotchery. At least that's my recollection. 

I'm not a religious person, but he did speak from the heart about it, and it works for him, so that's aces with me. Adoption is a really complicated animal on both sides of the fence. Anyway, Cotchery could've wound up another statistic - and I don't mean football statistics - and I truly admire the guy. Who remembers that near fatal car crash story and the glass that still comes out of his wrist? Plus, he was born with six fingers on his left hand (some weird thing I remember about him also, don't recall where I heard it, though), and being a Strega by blood, environment and temperament that paraded as Roman Catholic, I would never have had that extra digit amputated. I would've waved it around to cast spells at the Raiders and every other team that needed to die. 

17 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

This.

He wanted to return as one of the top 2 WRs. Team said no, so he wanted out. Then he signed on with the Steelers to be their #4 WR.

Exactly.  I liked Cotch when he was here, and he had a nice run with the team, but as uncommon as it is when it comes to the Jets, they're really not the ones to blame for this one.  He was convinced that he deserved better than what they were offering him, and it turned out the rest of the NFL disagreed.  He gambled on himself and lost.  No reason to hate on him for that, but tough to hold that against the Jets.

30 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

How come the NY Jets never bring back any former players on the coaching level? 

Is there some proof that there is some untapped benefit to doing so? It's not like I see a trend of ex-Jets coaching other teams' players around the league.

Better to have a coach that worked - in a coaching capacity - under or with other successful NFL coaches. Someone like Kacy Rogers, for example.

23 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Is there some proof that there is some untapped benefit to doing so? It's not like I see a trend of ex-Jets coaching other teams' players around the league.

Better to have a coach that worked - in a coaching capacity - under or with other successful NFL coaches. Someone like Kacy Rogers, for example.

No trend just a question of my observation Denver hired Elway is the GM here we seem to not have any connection with our former players other than ring of honor ceremonies. 

It seems ironic none are worthy of coaching material in any capacity. 

Archived