Pre-Draft Smokescreens -or- legit interest?

Integrity28

ESPN's Rich Cimini reports "the Jets are very intrigued" by UNC QB Mitchell Trubisky.

The Jets will have a contingent at Trubisky's Pro Day on Tuesday. Despite signing Josh McCown to be their bridge starter and drafting Christian Hackenberg in the second round last season, there continues to be speculation the Jets will add another quarterback in the draft. Taking Trubisky would require the No. 6 overall pick, however, meaning they would need to be more than intrigued by his talent to pull the trigger. The Browns are reportedly targeting Trubisky with the No. 12 overall pick.

It seems like the chess game is afoot... Jets may be trying to push someone in the top 5 down by getting a team to leap in front of them for Trub, so the Browns don't get him at 12.

The Jets should be all over him today because they need to see if he could be the guy we have been waiting for all these years.  

I still think Watson has the intangibles that would make him a better prospect than Trubisky.  

Grabbing this guy in the first round is a huge risk for Mac and Bowles. If he didn't play and play well his first season they would likely both get fired. Macc seems to like doing his due diligence on every player in both the draft and free agency, I would guess this is more speculation than truth but guess we will find out in a month or so.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

We need immediate impact players at 6 and thats the other issue Macc faces there might be a franchise RB,WR or pass rusher available that instantly improves this team. 

Im hoping Hackenberg is our answer at QB and we can finally build a team around a QB. 

35 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

It seems like the chess game is afoot... Jets may be trying to push someone in the top 5 down by getting a team to leap in front of them for Trub, so the Browns don't get him at 12.

My opinion is smoke screens.  Especially since signing McCown.  They're not drafting a QB.  

Trubisky is a potential franchise QB.  They do not go at 12.  If the Browns want him, they will need to trade for him.  If he is there at 6 the Jets must pick him.  Maybe then they trade him.  

Watson could be good, but he has too many flaws for 6.  He is someone you pick later.   Mariota and Wilson also have intangibles, but they threw in the mid 50s mph.   Intangibles don't make up for 49 mph in the Northeast.   Intangibles can't read an NFL defense.   Even Geno threw 55 mph.

So if I Iwas picking I am open to picking Trubisky at 6.   I am also open to trading down to 12, for multiple other picks.  

I really only started this thread to use the term "afoot" and to see how quickly joewilly12 turned another QB discussion into fecal matter...

This one was "too many trips to the all you can eat burrito bar" fast.

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I really only started this thread to use the term "afoot" and to see how quickly joewilly12 turned another QB discussion into fecal matter...

This one was "too many trips to the all you can eat burrito bar" fast.

Fecal matter is all you post I tried to bring some class and intellectual conversation to your drivel. 

3 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Yep. Saving that for next year. Williams or Fournette would be the move. 

The disappointment around here when 1 of the following happens is going to be fun to watch:

The Jets win too many games and take themselves out of the Suck for Sam sweepstakes.

Sam, decides to return to college.

Sam does a Hack and sucks after his Freshman year.

The Jets pass on Sam.

Because lets be honest, we're not getting him.

3 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

The nyj are not drafting a qb in the first few rounds.  I don't see how people don't see this.   No qb in this draft is worth it.  

So everyone keeps saying . Me, I take Trubisky if he's there and go to sleep .

My Draft plan :

1st  - Trubisky or Watson

2nd -Trade down /Jordan willis

3rd - Joe Mixon

3rd - Sidney Jones 

Not for me thanks.

1st - WR/TE/OLB - (Williams, Davis, Howard, Barnett

2nd - OLB/TE/OT/CB - (Anderson/Watt/Njoku/Garcia/T.White/D.King/Tankersly)

3rd (a)- OLB/TE/CB - (Basham/K.King/Hodges)

3rd (b)- WR/OC/FS/RB - (Z.Jones/Elfein/E.Jackson/B.Hill/K.Hunt)

I wouldn't cry if we started the 2017 season with:

1. Hackenberg

2. McCown (only in emergency, otherwise #3)

3. Trubisky (or maybe Watson, although I like him less)

I prefer to keep Petty than McCown, but I'd be ok with the above.

1 hour ago, prime21 said:

The Jets should be all over him today because they need to see if he could be the guy we have been waiting for all these years.  

I still think Watson has the intangibles that would make him a better prospect than Trubisky.  

LOVE Watson's intangibles. HATE his throws/accuracy/ball placement.  If the scouts and coaches believe he is correctable, I'd take a flier on him if he's there in rd 2.  People just look at the fact that he's a total gamer and raises his game in the big moments and assume he will just do that in the NFL. That's not going to happen if he's not consistent with his throws. If some team takes him and doesn't cater the system to his needs and doesn't spend at least 1 season redefining his mechanics, he will be Geno Smith. If he goes to a place that will do all those things and can help him with his ball placement, footwork and calm him down in the pocket, he has star potential. But intangibles alone won't get him there.

1 hour ago, JiF said:

My opinion is smoke screens.  Especially since signing McCown.  They're not drafting a QB.  

I feel like the opposite is possible. I didn't think they would take a QB at 6 prior to the signing of McCown. Now I wonder if that is exactly why they signed McCown rather than a better (albeit marginally) QB. I can't believe they would purposely tank. Just saying...

1 hour ago, HighPitch said:

Guyz its just a reporters hunch. 

We need a qb in round 1 or 2 or mac is dead to me. Doesnt matter if they pan out or not. Its the logic

So then I take it you are 100% onboard with the Hack pick?  And if so, shouldn't we be starting him now?  That would follow your logic.

Personally, I'd rather not piss away draft picks on QBs in a sh*t class and build a team up so that I can select a higher caliber QB and give him a real chance at developing behind a more established team. We don't want to do what we did with Geno, we want get a QB with FQB potential and put him in a position to succeed.

14 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I wouldn't cry if we started the 2017 season with:

1. Hackenberg

2. McCown (only in emergency, otherwise #3)

3. Trubisky (or maybe Watson, although I like him less)

I prefer to keep Petty than McCown, but I'd be ok with the above.

42 minutes ago, JiF said:

The disappointment around here when 1 of the following happens is going to be fun to watch:

The Jets win too many games and take themselves out of the Suck for Sam sweepstakes.

Sam, decides to return to college.

Sam does a Hack and sucks after his Freshman year.

The Jets pass on Sam.

Because lets be honest, we're not getting him.

I see us missing  him by one game if I'm being honest. If I were Sam and the Jets had the number one pick I would return to school  for another year. No. This kid is what Hack wishes he was when he dreams. Unfortunately he I still Hack when he wakes up. Jets pass on Sam? Impossible. They will never get the chance because he would have already announced he is returning to USC.  Until someone else gets him I'm gonna leave the light on for him. 

I like Darnold, Josh Allen, Rosen, Mason Rudolph all better as prospects next than Trubisky. 

But what I do love about Trubisky is he's very accurate & has a quick release. He's got a strong arm, no rifle, but I'll always take accuracy + quick release over an inaccurate power thrower, just as long as they're no noodle arm (which Trubisky isn't).

I'd rather wait for our guy next year. But, would welcome Trubisky if they decide to go with him.

2 hours ago, bealeb319 said:

Grabbing this guy in the first round is a huge risk for Mac and Bowles. If he didn't play and play well his first season they would likely both get fired. Macc seems to like doing his due diligence on every player in both the draft and free agency, I would guess this is more speculation than truth but guess we will find out in a month or so.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

i would hope that mac/bowles do not lose their jobs simply because the 6 pick is used on a qb. granted they need to use sound judgement but they are being paid to improve the team and if they want a qb they should be free to take one.  and while this might pose an issue for the hack pick, again getting the opportunity to get a better player and excercising it is a good thing.

Archived