The pick at 6 has to be..

JetFanatic

O.J Howard.  Okay so I've been thinking about this draft probably a little too much.  It's such a vital draft for this franchise it's not even funny.  As far as order of importance for this draft for me it's this:

1.  An offensive identity. - (O.J Howard)

-I think O.J Howard puts a lot of check-marks in a lot of boxes for the Jets.  Not only does he give them a position of need, but he gives this team some type of weapon and some type of identity on offense.  He will hopefully turn into a player that teams need to gameplan against for us.  He makes all surrounding offensive players much better by making the defense have to account for him all over the field which will open things up and leave one on one coverage for our young speedy receivers to hopefully take advantage of.  At the very least it'll make their job that much easier only going up against single coverage now.  He makes the offensive line a little better as he is a good willing blocker who will only get better.  Most importantly for me, he's going to be a security blanket for one of our young guys in Hackenberg/Petty and most likely their best friend on the field.  I love the potential of having either Petty or Hackenberg winning it out and blossoming and growing with potential playmakers like Howard/Anderson/Enunwa/D. Smith 

2.  Safety - (Budda Baker)

-I think a ball-hawking safety is vital in today's league and on this defense.  I personally think that it was an off year for Wilkerson coming off of that injury and to be honest it was an easy year to check it in and take off lets face it.  It's a trigger effect on defense and it starts with the defensive line.  I think this year we get our old Wilkerson back and I really feel like this defensive line is going to do damage starting up front.  That's going to essential lead to the jobs of our secondary players being that much easier.  Still going to present a great challenge though.  In the last mock I did I have the Jets grabbing Budda Baker.  If you haven't seen this guy play I highly recommend watching his film.  Tyrann Mathieu sticks out at me when I watch this kid in that he's smaller but man is this kid feisty and has tons of heart.  Would love him back there roaming around the secondary.

3a.  Cornerback - (Jalen 'Teez' Tabor)

-Cornerbacks are always a high priority for me.  You can never have enough.  Our current corners are young and have potential.  Claiborne has tons of potential but he's an injury away from leaving us in really bad shape cornerback wise if he goes down.  Getting some insurance in a deep deep deep CB class is ideal and we can land a stud with our top 3rd pick here which is awesome.  I personally have Tabor here because with his underwhelming 40 time I do feel he's going to drop but this kid can play.  If Claiborne can stay healthy and guys like Burris and Williams take the next step and continue to improve this unit can be huge for us.  If the defensive line plays up to their All Star potential there are going to be a lot of rushed inaccurate throws that these CBs can hopefully take advantage of.  

3b.  Wide Receiver - (???)

-Here I would go with the best WR available.  I'm basing this on the fact that I think Decker is gone.  That leaves us with Enunwa/R. Anderson/D. Smith/J. Marshall/C. Peake.  While full of potential I think we still need one.  This receiver class is tricky this year.  I really feel there are guys that are going to be had in the 3rd round who can be legit #1 receivers.  I think we still need one more guy here who we feel can be that guy.  In my mock I have Curtis Samuel from Ohio State going here.  The kid is a WR/RB hybrid and complete stud I think.  

Well that's my nonsense guys thanks for reading I know it was long.  If we can land something like that with our first 4 picks I think it's a great great start to what'll be an exciting season with our young team.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it! When we took Kyle Brady I almost fell off the couch! A big lumbering slow white guy with bad hands who looked like Clutch Cargo.

OJ Howard on the other hand, a freak of nature who I believe hasn't touched the surface of his abilities the way he was used at Alabama but was a GO TO GUY when they needed something good to happen.

He's a giant receiver who can catch, run, block, and would make everyone around him better because of his presence on the field. Plus, if they do indeed keep Decker & he comes back healthy, Decker-Enunwa-Howard & Peake (I think Peake is gonna make a move this year). That's 4 guys with good size & strength who can block, with Decker-Enunwa-Howard all able to work out of the slot as interchangeable pieces. Makes going in motion real difficult for a defense since each one brings something to the table, Enunwas speed, Deckers size & great route running and OJ just being beastly.

OJ Howard is my preference as well.  It's hard to fill that position with a great player.  And we have a huge hole at TE.  It's almost funny though because I remember thinking back when we drafted Johnny Mitchell and then Kyle Brady that it's crazy to draft a TE so high.  But now I want one at #6.  lol

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

When is the last time drafting a TE in the top ten worked out for a team?

You make a good point.  I guess if OJ is another Gronk then it would be worth it.  But basically he'd kind of have to be Gronk-like for #6 overall.  Who are you thinking they should draft?

I remember pounding the table for Vernon Davis when he came out.  He was a freak of nature at Maryland.  I was ridiculed for taking a tight end in the top 10 back then, given Kyle Brady.

Now in hindsight, Vernon has had a solid career, not spectacular.  It would have been an OK pick at 4, I suppose.  But instead we went with Brick, a franchise left tackle, which was the better choice. 

Reality is that the talent difference between a first vs mid round TE is smaller than a tackle, QB, edge rusher or CB, in most cases.  Maybe you take a TE in the teens, but bottom of first is probably highest I go.  TE is really a day 2 pick.

'Nuff said 

2 hours ago, JetFanatic said:

O.J Howard.  Okay so I've been thinking about this draft probably a little too much.  It's such a vital draft for this franchise it's not even funny.  As far as order of importance for this draft for me it's this:

1.  An offensive identity. - (O.J Howard)

-I think O.J Howard puts a lot of check-marks in a lot of boxes for the Jets.  Not only does he give them a position of need, but he gives this team some type of weapon and some type of identity on offense.  He will hopefully turn into a player that teams need to gameplan against for us.  He makes all surrounding offensive players much better by making the defense have to account for him all over the field which will open things up and leave one on one coverage for our young speedy receivers to hopefully take advantage of.  At the very least it'll make their job that much easier only going up against single coverage now.  He makes the offensive line a little better as he is a good willing blocker who will only get better.  Most importantly for me, he's going to be a security blanket for one of our young guys in Hackenberg/Petty and most likely their best friend on the field.  I love the potential of having either Petty or Hackenberg winning it out and blossoming and growing with potential playmakers like Howard/Anderson/Enunwa/D. Smith 

2.  Safety - (Budda Baker)

-I think a ball-hawking safety is vital in today's league and on this defense.  I personally think that it was an off year for Wilkerson coming off of that injury and to be honest it was an easy year to check it in and take off lets face it.  It's a trigger effect on defense and it starts with the defensive line.  I think this year we get our old Wilkerson back and I really feel like this defensive line is going to do damage starting up front.  That's going to essential lead to the jobs of our secondary players being that much easier.  Still going to present a great challenge though.  In the last mock I did I have the Jets grabbing Budda Baker.  If you haven't seen this guy play I highly recommend watching his film.  Tyrann Mathieu sticks out at me when I watch this kid in that he's smaller but man is this kid feisty and has tons of heart.  Would love him back there roaming around the secondary.

3a.  Cornerback - (Jalen 'Teez' Tabor)

-Cornerbacks are always a high priority for me.  You can never have enough.  Our current corners are young and have potential.  Claiborne has tons of potential but he's an injury away from leaving us in really bad shape cornerback wise if he goes down.  Getting some insurance in a deep deep deep CB class is ideal and we can land a stud with our top 3rd pick here which is awesome.  I personally have Tabor here because with his underwhelming 40 time I do feel he's going to drop but this kid can play.  If Claiborne can stay healthy and guys like Burris and Williams take the next step and continue to improve this unit can be huge for us.  If the defensive line plays up to their All Star potential there are going to be a lot of rushed inaccurate throws that these CBs can hopefully take advantage of.  

3b.  Wide Receiver - (???)

-Here I would go with the best WR available.  I'm basing this on the fact that I think Decker is gone.  That leaves us with Enunwa/R. Anderson/D. Smith/J. Marshall/C. Peake.  While full of potential I think we still need one.  This receiver class is tricky this year.  I really feel there are guys that are going to be had in the 3rd round who can be legit #1 receivers.  I think we still need one more guy here who we feel can be that guy.  In my mock I have Curtis Samuel from Ohio State going here.  The kid is a WR/RB hybrid and complete stud I think.  

Well that's my nonsense guys thanks for reading I know it was long.  If we can land something like that with our first 4 picks I think it's a great great start to what'll be an exciting season with our young team.

I like most of your draft but would prefer a running back in one of those slots.

Not how i would go about it, but i can appreciate your thinking.

Howard is being over billed IMO. He quite frankly hasn't shown the consistent receiver chops to warrant #6. The 'Bama offense is to blame i'm sure, but you can't pick at 6 based on theories. I question how comfortable he is catching in traffic. He's not the natural that Engram or Everett is. 

This is a deep Safety class. Baker in the top 40? no thanks. This is where you can land Engram/Njoku/Everett etc

Where's the RB? Deepest class in decades, you're selling me on waiting for mid-round average talent? Did we learn nothing from the WR class of 2014? 

I tend to look at things like this.  If each player we could pick turns out to be solid but unspectacular at 6 which position would effect our team the best?  A solid tight end, a solid safety, a solid running back, a solid wide reciever, QB or so on.

we all like to imagine that these guys are going to be the next franchise or pro bowl players but it's more likely that they'll be good to possibly real good.  In my opinion a solid wide receiver is worth much more than a solid tight end.  An outside linebacker or corner is most likely worth more than a decent safety.  The positional value is messed up in this draft because safeties, and tight ends shouldn't be going in the top 10 of the draft.

There is no answer at 6 because no matter what they do they will leave a "have to have" player on the board.

I don't prescribe to the notion that an OLB or QB is a better pick than a TE because of cap if said TE significantly better...that is just silly and forces teams to make bone headed choices like Gholston.

I am clueless on what they are going to do or even should do like everyone else here...including the oracles.  Macc wanted this job ...careful what you wish for because man he has some tough decisions ahead.

With that said i trust Macc judgment and even if he picks one of the QB which would make me cringe I will accept it as best choice until proven otherwise and yes I thought and still think Hack was good pick. So there's that.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

I like it! When we took Kyle Brady I almost fell off the couch! A big lumbering slow white guy with bad hands who looked like Clutch Cargo.

OJ Howard on the other hand, a freak of nature who I believe hasn't touched the surface of his abilities the way he was used at Alabama but was a GO TO GUY when they needed something good to happen.

He's a giant receiver who can catch, run, block, and would make everyone around him better because of his presence on the field. Plus, if they do indeed keep Decker & he comes back healthy, Decker-Enunwa-Howard & Peake (I think Peake is gonna make a move this year). That's 4 guys with good size & strength who can block, with Decker-Enunwa-Howard all able to work out of the slot as interchangeable pieces. Makes going in motion real difficult for a defense since each one brings something to the table, Enunwas speed, Deckers size & great route running and OJ just being beastly.

You're absolutely right in that this kid is special.  I also really feel like he'll be around a while which is good because I feel longevity in players is important.  He was the big time playmaker when they needed a play.  He's just so complete and exactly what we need.  I love our offense if we take him.

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

OJ Howard is my preference as well.  It's hard to fill that position with a great player.  And we have a huge hole at TE.  It's almost funny though because I remember thinking back when we drafted Johnny Mitchell and then Kyle Brady that it's crazy to draft a TE so high.  But now I want one at #6.  lol

I just feel like given our situation in regards to having a young QB and no identity on offense that he would be perfect.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

When is the last time drafting a TE in the top ten worked out for a team?

Every draft brings different players and types of players my friend.  We can still fill major needs while grabbing him at 6.  Please trust this lol

20 minutes ago, Joejet said:

I like most of your draft but would prefer a running back in one of those slots.

This kid Curtis Samuel is interesting because he's a WR/RB hybrid.  In a few mocks I see them taking Jamaal Williams out of BYU with the 5th round pick.  He's a really good back.

17 minutes ago, peebag said:

get ready for a safety.

I could definitely see the pick easily being Jamal Adams or Malik Hooker and I wouldn't be mad at that at all.  The new OC utilizes a TE and we have none which leads me to believe that one will be picked in the first three rounds.  So in your case it could easily be Adams/Hooker with the 6th pick and a TE (Engram/Everett/Leggett) in the 2nd or 3rd round.  I just think the best value would be getting Howard at 6 because he's head and shoulders the best TE in this class and Budda Baker, who I feel isn't a major drop off at the Safety position compared to the top guys, in the 2nd round.

1 minute ago, JetFanatic said:

This kid Curtis Samuel is interesting because he's a WR/RB hybrid.  In a few mocks I see them taking Jamaal Williams out of BYU with the 5th round pick.  He's a really good back.

I like Gallman from Clemson.  I like his straight line running and like his pass protection even more.

37 minutes ago, JetFanatic said:

Curtis is one my safest picks in the draft, and i don't think he makes it out of top 60. Def a WR in the NFL i think. Edelman like. 

Jamal Williams is boderline avg IMO. if that's who we walk away with in this class, then that says volumes about this regime. He's the kind of guy DAL drafts for depth. 

This is my draft board (adjusted for who could potentially be at 6:

1) Adams-the Leo pick as perhaps the best player in this draft after Garrett

2) Trubisky-he has the mental and physical skills to play NFL QB.

3) OJ Howard-agree with the OP

4) Hooker-game changing safety, but with some risk so not higher.

All that being said, I would not fall off the couch if it was OJ Howard there at 6 for the Jets.

Archived