Shefter: Cleveland considering Trubisky at #1 overall

TuscanyTile2

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I highly doubt they'd make that kind of reach.

Far more likely they take pick #12 and some other picks/assets, and trade up a bit to try and grab Trubisky at #4/#5/#6 perhaps.

All the "Jets can't trade down" guys could be proven wrong come draft day.....unless our GM really loves Trubisky, of course.

we get to pick #6 and Trubs is still on the board, we should definitely be on the phone with Cleveland and see what the offer could be.  

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

LOL, no way they go Trubisky at #1.

I do hope they love the guy however as it enhances a chance we can traded down with them.

It's bewildering to me why Trubisky hasn't gotten more talk from the draftniks for the number 1 spot but GM's always say that the internet community tends to catch up with the real world the closer it gets to the draft.

Trubisky has everything...  Garrett could be as good as JJ Watt but it doesn't matter one bit without a QB.  That was proven with Houston's garbage records with JJ being the best defensive player this generation has every seen.

It's amazing too, because the only negative most people have on Trubisky is that he's only started 13 games. If you need more than 13 games to make an educated guess on someone, then something is wrong.  He has everything, the mobility, pocket awareness, arm. His mind is as good as it gets with the ability to run through reads and figure out where to move within the pocket.

I'll be begging for Trubisky to fall to us on draft day because you can't win in this league without a QB and hes' as good as any QB prospect I've watched over the last several years. And we can't keep watching the great ones go by because there's a limited amount of great ones who become available.  Mariota was the last great one (although that leg injury may change everything) and now I believe Trubisky is it.

4 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Cleveland will never trade picks away to move up.  They are doing everything they can to get more picks.  Trading away picks is not the "moneyball" way. 

They're gonna get to the point where they have to trade some of these picks.  They are getting to the point where there aren't enough roster spots for all of their draft picks and you just can't learn whether your draft picks are any good by one training camp.

Just now, Komba said:

They're gonna get to the point where they have to trade some of these picks.  They are getting to the point where there aren't enough roster spots for all of their draft picks and you just can't learn whether your draft picks are any good by one training camp.

Watch, they will keep picking players and let them fight it out and cut all the ones that lose.  

Thats the idea, pick lots and lots of players and if you only hit on 33% of them , like most teams, then they still have a team of good players. 

I dont know if it works but that is the moneyball way. 

9 minutes ago, Komba said:

It's bewildering to me why Trubisky hasn't gotten more talk from the draftniks for the number 1 spot but GM's always say that the internet community tends to catch up with the real world the closer it gets to the draft.

Trubisky has everything...  Garrett could be as good as JJ Watt but it doesn't matter one bit without a QB.  That was proven with Houston's garbage records with JJ being the best defensive player this generation has every seen.

It's amazing too, because the only negative most people have on Trubisky is that he's only started 13 games. If you need more than 13 games to make an educated guess on someone, then something is wrong.  He has everything, the mobility, pocket awareness, arm. His mind is as good as it gets with the ability to run through reads and figure out where to move within the pocket.

I'll be begging for Trubisky to fall to us on draft day because you can't win in this league without a QB and hes' as good as any QB prospect I've watched over the last several years. And we can't keep watching the great ones go by because there's a limited amount of great ones who become available.  Mariota was the last great one (although that leg injury may change everything) and now I believe Trubisky is it.

You are down playing the number of games played angle.  Look at the history of promising guys who had few starts.  Way more bombs than successes.  Everyone has their fav QB and to me you can chunk about 4 of them close together. 

7 minutes ago, Komba said:

hopefully the jets will pick up some good waiver wire players at the end of the summer because of this

Just now, Beerfish said:

You are down playing the number of games played angle.  Look at the history of promising guys who had few starts.  Way more bombs than successes.  Everyone has their fav QB and to me you can chunk about 4 of them close together. 

First of all, at the QB position they are almost ALL bombs.  

And yes, I don't think the number of games played does matter that much, just a question of what they did in those games and trying to project that to the next level.  Trubisky checks every box with me.  His feel for the pocket, mobility, and his mind is always ahead.  His progression through reads is great to watch and it's not like he had much talent at the WR position either.  

In a perfect world you want 35 starts.  If he had that, and dominated, there isn't a discussion here and he's going number 1 without any debate. Unfortunately the real world doesn't allow perfect scenarios.  We take what we can get and you make a prediction on the player.  An overwhelming majority of these guys fail.  The only two I think who have a good chance are Trubisky and Watson. Watson concerns me more becuase he misses deep and even his short accuracy is scattered.

Kizer is too slow to think and has a panic aspect to him.  Mahomes also holds the ball too long at times although I could see a scenario with him starting some games because he has heart, and he throws a good deep ball.

Peterman is the only other guy with ANY chance and I don't see it with him either for other reasons.

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I highly doubt they'd make that kind of reach.

Far more likely they take pick #12 and some other picks/assets, and trade up a bit to try and grab Trubisky at #4/#5/#6 perhaps.

All the "Jets can't trade down" guys could be proven wrong come draft day.....unless our GM really loves Trubisky, of course.

we get to pick #6 and Trubs is still on the board, we should definitely be on the phone with Cleveland and see what the offer could be.  

Cleveland is probably going to want to get ahead of us, if they want both Garrett and Trubisky.

I'd crack up if they came up to #2 with SF, who is shopping their pick.

I'd crack up even more if we passed on Trubisky, don't trade back, and he ends up the best QB in class.

30 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Cleveland has not made up its mind at No. 1, per source. Split opinions. Some like Myles Garrett, some like Mitchell Trubisky. We will see.
6:28 PM - 11 Apr 2017

https://mobile.twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/851970308458164224

I don't believe that for a second.  They are seeing if any team loves Trubisky enough to panic and trade a boat load for the #1 pick.

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

I don't believe that for a second.  They are seeing if any team loves Trubisky enough to panic and trade a boat load for the #1 pick.

That makes no sense... If a team (obviously needing a QB) calls to trade up and Cleveland is willing, then they know Cleveland is bluffing about actually liking Trubisky.  

My guess is that Cleveland is serious.  My thought is that Hue loves Trubisky but the GM doens't.  There's also an outside possibility that they are screwing with New England becuase they really want Garrapolo.  Makes ZERO sense for New ENgland to keep Garrapolo but New England is probably asking a ton for him. (And that makes no sense either but whatever)

Just now, Komba said:

That makes no sense... If a team (obviously needing a QB) calls to trade up and Cleveland is willing, then they know Cleveland is bluffing about actually liking Trubisky.  

My guess is that Cleveland is serious.  My thought is that Hue loves Trubisky but the GM doens't.  There's also an outside possibility that they are screwing with New England becuase they really want Garrapolo.  Makes ZERO sense for New ENgland to keep Garrapolo but New England is probably asking a ton for him. (And that makes no sense either but whatever)

It makes a lot of sense.  Even if Cleveland has no intention of taking Trubisky but makes you think they do, you will give them a ton for that pick.  The draft is all about bluffing.

8 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

It makes a lot of sense.  Even if Cleveland has no intention of taking Trubisky but makes you think they do, you will give them a ton for that pick.  The draft is all about bluffing.

Yes, but they give away their bluff by being willing to trade out of that spot.  When it comes to QB's in this league, you don't treat it like the other positions.  You don't half-way it. If they wanted Trubisky ( and I think Hue does) then they are going to flat out take him.  Not wait and see if they get a good offer to move out of that spot.

I still think it could have more to do with wanting New England to loser their cost on Garrapolo. Makes no sense for them to keep him.  On the same note, it makes no sense for Cinci to keep McCarron either but it looks like they're gonna.

26 minutes ago, Komba said:

The issue people around here have with him is that on paper, he's eerily similar to Mark Sanchez when he was coming out of college. A junior who only started one season, with decent measurables and solid mechanics. 

Personally I'm not opposed to taking him at #6. Keep picking QBs until you find one.

27 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Pretty much. Hard to imagine a team run by Paul DePodesta taking a one-year starter, let alone at #1 overall.

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Pretty much. Hard to imagine a team run by Paul DePodesta taking a one-year starter, let alone at #1 overall.

it's a worth trying but it ain't going to work.  i think the problem the browns may have is that if they actually do like mitchell, they may not get him at 12.  

5 hours ago, Komba said:

i'm not so big on garret either.  he may have some good talent but so did super mario and clowney and both of those guys haven't done much considering their hype coming out in the draft. but a qb for cleveland at no. 1?  maybe.  they still have osweiler and kessler to use this season so they could do it and sit him for half the season or more. there's no need to rush him in. but it would also be smarter for them to trade down a couple of spots and then pick trubitsky.

6 hours ago, Komba said:

It's amazing too, because the only negative most people have on Trubisky is that he's only started 13 games. If you need more than 13 games to make an educated guess on someone, then something is wrong. 

personally I can tell if a guy is going to be good or not based on no more than 2 games, hell with a guy as good as Trubinsky I was sure after seeing about a dozen snaps

Just now, dbatesman said:

personally I can tell if a guy is going to be good or not based on no more than 2 games, hell with a guy as good as Trubinsky I was sure after seeing about a dozen snaps

You still need that many? Welp, I suppose that you have always been rather old school. 

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

Give me 7-10 minutes of YouTube clips and I'm good. 

Archived