Costello: The NFL is viciously roasting the Jets, who have "no plan."

T0mShane

58 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Faneca's biggest contribution was not being Adrien Clarke.  D'Brick and Mangold came into the league as pros.  They were in their third year and solid pros before Faneca came along. 

Yeah what a crock of sh*te that line from this article is.  Also love how the narrative pushes player responsibility to bring along the young pups instead of the you know countless coaches who get paid to do that.  lol 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

Funny you should say that since that was the records of the Giants who beat the 16-0 and 13-3 Pats in the 2007 and 2011 bowls..:)

Except they have won 4 SBs since 86.    Our teams, with similar records were never disciplined enough to get that far.

and that is not luck as many JETS fans say.  LUCK is such as small part of winning. 

They were already half-ass tanking in 2017 as it was. Drafting a pair of safeties only sealed it. 

Hate to break it to everyone, but for all his many faults - and there are many - for about 5 minutes the "smart" one here is that fool Woody, if he did indeed step in. If you're going to tank, and your season's future is all but sealed anyway, then go ahead and do it. While I genuinely feel for the ticket holders that spent good money on 10 games, the value that 5 wins hold for the team, instead of 2-3, is too short-lived to value when the goal is pick of the litter in next year's supposedly great QB class rather than winning this year.  

If you're going to do something then do it right, even if that something is to purposely **** up (pathetic as that is). Tank or don't tank. But don't make tanking the plan and then hold onto veteran players, whom you think you're parting with a year or two later anyway, that will help you win a couple more games and rob you of future flexibility for the privilege.

"Coach Todd Bowles is a sympathetic figure around the league, viewed as someone who will ultimately pay the price for a 2017 season that looks like it will be filled with failure. "

As I predicted in my other thread.  Bowles like Rex before him is going to be the big victim here by people around the league who do not actually watch the guy coach game in and game out.

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

In several conversations over the past two days, NFL people have wondered whether the Jets actually have a plan, how much dysfunction there is inside the organization and why they waited until June to dump one of their most respected players.

Who are NFL people? Janitors...? an Irrigation Techinician? Sports Writers? NFL people are no better then anonymous sources... Pure junk... I see Costello has returned to his hack ways.

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

Jets Fans: WHY DONT WE EVER SUCK WHEN THERE'S A FRANCHISE QB IN THE DRAFT?  STUPID SOJ!!!

Jets:  Wow, lots of top-tier QB talent coming out next season, lets make sure we don't get shut out on draft day and finally get a franchise QB.

Jets fans:  OH MY GOD, Brian Costello said another writer told him the Jets don't have a plan.  Fire everyone!!!

dude, don't even try to pretend like this is being done with prudence. The Jets are writing the book on how to fck up a tank job. 

Hey Peyton! You wanna declare and play for the Jets?

NOPE! 

I don't get the "they have no plan" stuff. It very clear what the plan is. Intentionally tank for the number 1 pick in the 2018 draft, a draft likely to be very strong at the QB position. That is the plan. Lose on purpose to get a franchise QB, without which no team can consistently win in the NFL.

Now, is this a new plan? Yes, clearly that's not what they wanted to do in 2015 and 2016. They wanted to do the "competitive rebuild" and it almost worked in 2015 and failed miserably in 2016. So now they're tanking. Is it a fair statement that they should have done this in 2015 and that they have wasted two years? Yeah, fair statement. But it is what it is -- we're finally doing what needs to be done.

The timing of the Harris move actually makes some sense to me too -- they wanted him to take a pay-cut, they were negotiating it, couldn't get a deal done, then they acquired Demario Davis. Then they cut him. Poorly handled by the organization for sure. Looks bad from a PR standpoint. But from a talent standpoint it isn't crazy.

The Decker move is more questionable, honestly. It almost makes me feel like once they saw Hackenberg in OTAs they decided to go 100% in on the tank, because it makes little sense to me not to trade him before the draft. He actually had value then.

13 hours ago, Bugg said:

The time to rebuild was in Year 1 of the Maccagnan/Bowles regime in 2015. Instead, they went on a spending spree to be competitive, and now they are left in this strange no-man’s land, where Bowles and Maccagnan have been here for 29 months already with little to show for it.

It feels like the last two years were wasted.

Best line of the article.

4 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I don't get the "they have no plan" stuff. It very clear what the plan is. Intentionally tank for the number 1 pick in the 2018 draft, a draft likely to be very strong at the QB position. That is the plan. Lose on purpose to get a franchise QB, without which no team can consistently win in the NFL.

Now, is this a new plan? Yes, clearly that's not what they wanted to do in 2015 and 2016. They wanted to do the "competitive rebuild" and it almost worked in 2015 and failed miserably in 2016. So now they're tanking. Is it a fair statement that they should have done this in 2015 and that they have wasted two years? Yeah, fair statement. But it is what it is -- we're finally doing what needs to be done.

The timing of the Harris move actually makes some sense to me too -- they wanted him to take a pay-cut, they were negotiating it, couldn't get a deal done, then they acquired Demario Davis. Then they cut him. Poorly handled by the organization for sure. Looks bad from a PR standpoint. But from a talent standpoint it isn't crazy.

The Decker move is more questionable, honestly. It almost makes me feel like once they saw Hackenberg in OTAs they decided to go 100% in on the tank, because it makes little sense to me not to trade him before the draft. He actually had value then.

This

12 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

If they're tanking, why not just cut Harris in March instead of trying to renegotiate? Why not cut Davis the second we acquired him, to save that money too? Why is Richardson still on the team?

12 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Maybe I'm finally losing my optimism/becoming jaded...but...good.  This is the year to suck.  I hope we suck.  I hope we suck BAD.  I could live with being the 2nd team to go 0-16 if it means everything gets blown up and we draft a real franchise QB.  If Mac AND Bowles go at the end?  Fine.  If this is a legit tank job by Mac and Bowles ultimately is the scapegoat?  Don't care.  A QB is worth it.  Hire a new coach and move on with your lives.  At the end of the day, if either one of those scenarios plays out, there will be plenty of good candidates who want to come here because they get to work with a top talent QB.

I honestly don't care anymore.

I hope your right, but I don't see people lining up for the HC job or the GM job   especially if they have other options. I am sure someone will take the job as both are very prestigious and limited. I just don't expect a well respected candidate to jump at the chance to take the Jets job even with a top QB in reach. Woody needs to un-fu*k this team and hire someone who has total control over football operations and be a hands off owner. 

1 minute ago, dbatesman said:

If they're tanking, why not just cut Harris in March instead of trying to renegotiate? Why not cut Davis the second we acquired him, to save that money too? Why is Richardson still on the team?

Why sign McCown?  Why try to sign Steve Smith?

Mac is waaaayyyy over his head

15 minutes ago, Paradis said:

dude, don't even try to pretend like this is being done with prudence. The Jets are writing the book on how to fck up a tank job. 

NOPE! 

How much you wanna bet Mac calls Jay Cutler by week 4?

13 hours ago, Bugg said:

The time to rebuild was in Year 1 of the Maccagnan/Bowles regime in 2015. Instead, they went on a spending spree to be competitive, and now they are left in this strange no-man’s land, where Bowles and Maccagnan have been here for 29 months already with little to show for it.

It feels like the last forty eight years were wasted.

Fixed that for you.

3 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Re: Harris -- I'd guess because of his locker room presence? It's not like he's some game changing stud at this stage in his career -- do we really think the Jets defense is going to take a step back because he's gone? I'm guessing they tried to keep him but decided it wasn't worth it.

Davis is around because we need a warm body. If he's beat out by an UDFA he'll be gone too.

Richardson, I'd assume, is because he still has some actual value... But I agree it's somewhat odd he's still here when you consider part of the reason they dumped Pryor was attitude.

I really think another possibility (that I referenced in my last post) was that the degree of tank was up in the air until they got a look at Hackenberg in OTAs. Once they saw him and decided he hadn't made enough progress they said "f*ck it" and went all in the tank... That's the only reason I can come up with for the Decker timing, which is odd to me.

This article is both right and wrong but mostly just misguided.

The Jets being the laughing stock of the NFL is nothing new and it certainly isnt because of what they've done this offseason.  Their strategy this offseason is 100% the right thing to do; get rid of the sh*tty old vets who are locker room cancers.  Sure, the way the treated Harris was dirty but honestly, who cares?  Yes, getting rid of that diva Decker is 100% the right thing to do but not getting anything for him is the travesty.  He is 100% a player they should be receiving compensation for.  You telling me that the Panthers werent willing to part ways with a late round pick to have 1 viable option for Cam?  Sure they would and that's why the league is laughing...Mac is a ******* push over pusswah joke of a GM and everyone knows it.  See: Sheldon Richardson and Calvin Pyror.   And you dont need veterans to show young players the ropes, you have an enormous coahing staff filled with former players who literally get paid to do that job.  Besides, they still have plenty of veterans on the team to give guidance to young players.  

The article is right, the time to rebuild was 2015. They didnt. And the part that everyone was laughing at was Bowles tying his career to Ryan sh*tzpatrick.  Everyone and their mother (outside of a select few on this board) knew that was an absolute disaster in the making and look at us now!  Literally every single FA signing was destined to blow up in his face and everyone single of them did except for Jame Carpenter.  And then doubling down in 2016 actually thinking they were contender was the other laughable part. Reaching for need and continuing to add sh*tty old veterans as if they actually had a shot at doing something with sh*tzpatrick at the helm was indeed, laughable.

All that said, what the Jets are doing right now is the correct strategy and nobody is laughing at it because the Jets are ******* terrible and no miracle offseason was going to change that fact.  The issue is, the person in charge of the 2nd rebuild in 3 years, is a ******* clown with no vision, no idea how to build a roster, no clue how to draft and absolute joke around the GM communities in the league. 

I'm all for the rebuild. I just don't think Mac is the guy to do it based on his performance so far. The guy is all over the place. The way it looks now they will have a top 5 pick but you have to understand how much that delights me and scares the sh*t out of me. You want them to make the right move but its always there in the back of your mind that they will screw it up. Say they get the #1 and Darnold stays in school? Will the "Suck for Sam" guys lose their sh*t? Nothing is set in stone and anything can happen during a football season as every fan knows. What if by some miracle they win 6 or 7 games and Hack looks decent? Does anyone really think Mac will draft a QB then? No he will think he was right all along and blow that cap money on players they had to overspend to get to come here. At least that's what it seems to me will happen. The Jets are looking like they are going to tank this season and it looks as though Mac is just waiting to fire Bowles and bring in "his guy" but I just don't trust Mac enough to make the right moves. It really looks like the Jets don't have a plan or the plan is so convoluted that no one can make sense out of it but Mac. If that's the case we are screwed and will be back on the crap carousel once again. SO get ready kiddies!! It will be another 10 months of QB threads and bullsh*t until we see just what the hell Mac has in store. I'm pretty sure this time next year a lot of these threads are going to look the same as they do now.

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Well Harris and his locker room presence didn't stop our defense from being a dysfunctional, lazy atrocity last year.

Exactly.  All these veterans were here last year and the locker room was a disaster.   Veteran leadership in the locker room is the most ridiculously overrated cliche in all of the NFL. 

33 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

It's because teh tank is so intricate that we can't even comprehend it. This is what happens when a GM plays chess and all we understand is checkers.

14 minutes ago, JiF said:

Exactly.  All these veterans were here last year and the locker room was a disaster.   Veteran leadership in the locker room is the most ridiculously overrated cliche in all of the NFL. 

How about having a semi-competent coaching staff that can actually handle veteran players?

13 hours ago, jetscrazey said:

Costello is wrong.  This is one of the few times Woody has actually had a plan.  Tank in a year where there's a QB-heavy top 5 in the draft.  You gotta tear it all down before you can rebuild.  It's the right timing for this.

Look, the media needs stuff to write to collect a paycheck.  This is the narrative they've chosen.  It doesn't make it right.  If the Jets had made a splash in free agency in an attempt to be relevant in a division with Brady in it, THAT would've been the laughingstock move.

I 100% agree. To suggest that there is 'no plan' is ludicrous. These are professionals getting paid a lot of money to run a team. You can argue whether or not its evident what the plan is, you can argue whether or not its the right plan, you can argue whether or not the plan is being executed properly. But its moronic to assume there is no reasoning for what Macc, Woody, etc. are doing- INCLUDING DRAFTING 2 SAFETIES. 

It's also asinine, to me, that cutting loose Decker and Harris- guys on the chopping block for cap reasons as soon as the 2016 season ended, is what prompted this critical write-up. We're taking about over-paid, declining, veteran players. One often injured, the other  a liability on third down. What? The Jets should have kept Harris at 6.5 mil simply b.c he is a good locker room presence??? 

The Jets are re-building and going with a youth movement. That much is clear. They are doing so in the right fashion. They brought in a vet at the most important position- QB. With two young QBs under him. Say what you want about what it cost to bring in McCown or whether he is any good. Bringing in a vet QB and true professional at the QB position is critical as a positive influence on a young QB. Behind 37yr old McCown the oldest player on the Jets is Tanner Purdum at 32. Followed by Forte at 31 with the rest of the roster under 30. 

It also happens that next years draft will have top QB talent. Hmmm, I wonder why Macc decided to go all in on the rebuild this year?? After all, he has no plan, right?

49 minutes ago, Paradis said:

NOPE! 

That was all on the giant ego of Bill Parcells

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

It may be overrated, but I think it has some merit.  The problem is that people want a "team leader" that is going to show/tell these guys how to play.  That is the coaches job.  What I think you actually want is somebody who, by example, will do exactly what you want in the film room and in the weight room.  That is where a guy like Thomas Jones can be valuable.  The guy is a beast lifting.  

Some of these guys get a bit sloppy and out of shape - look at ASJ.  He lost how much weight since he stopped drinking?  I doubt guys like Marshall are what you want your younger players to emulate.  Thomas Jones, Harris, and to a lesser extent Decker and maybe Steve Smith.

You'd be surprised how much having a guy that busts his ass in practice and the weight room and pays attention in meetings and film study can influence others.  Guys don't want to let the others down.   If you have a bunch of goof-offs, guys can be embarrassed to be the only one that seems to care.

This "no plan" thing is bullsh*t.  The plan is exactly what they should be doing.  "Accidentally-on purpose" tanking for a blue chip QB prospect.

If people around the league want to question their tactics and couth for execution of the plan, so be it.

I am not sure I would have traded/released Decker, but if they wanted to do it, they had to wait until he was healthy. That timing just makes sense. I think once Davis was on the team, they felt from a veteran presence, Harris was truly expendable.

That was all on the giant ego of Bill Parcells

Same will be said about woody in 16 years when Sam retires, not a jet because he opted to stay in school over playing for this fcksquad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived