Brandon Marshall on his release

Jet9

The title is misleading, IMO.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000819952/article/brandon-marshall-i-had-to-leave-doomed-jets

Brandon Marshall: I had to leave doomed Jets

When Brandon Marshall asked for his release from the sinking Jets this offseason, it had everything do with playing for a contender.

Talking Thursday with WFAN-AM in New York, the veteran wideout -- now with the Giants -- bashed Gang Green for cutting bait with a horde of experienced and talented players, calling the June releases of receiver Eric Decker and linebacker David Harris "bad business."

Marshall was then asked how a veteran seeking a shot at the Lombardi should handle playing for a franchise intent on starting from scratch.

"Do what I did: Ask for a release, get out of there," Marshall said, per Darryl Slater of NJ.com. "I just knew I couldn't be in that environment. I think everyone knows the type of personality I am at this point in my career. I wouldn't have made it through an entire season knowing that we didn't have a chance. That's all you want as a player. You just want a chance."

The league annually houses a pocket of teams with seemingly no shot at winning the Super Bowl. This year's list is headed by the Jets, a club stuffed with inexperienced, mostly anonymous newbies.

Now encamped with the Giants, Marshall finds himself on a team fresh off a playoff campaign and hoping for more come September. It's a familiar and painful narrative for fans of the Jets, who have watched their team play second-fiddle to the G-Men forever.

That dynamic won't change in 2017.

While I do think Marshall is annoying, what he said somewhat validates the idea that the tanking theory is total BS. These guys play for pay checks yes, but most of, if not all of them want to win and could not stand by watching the team lose week in and week out.

Giants cannot lose enough for me....

BM speaks the truth, he would have imploded on this team, surprised he made it through last year without an episode, plus he was the architect for last years championship run aka dumpster fire... good luck

surprised none of the crack ny sports reporters have asked BM about the boat party, Will he attend this year? How will he mentor OBJ? Who gets more balls? stay tuned, enquiring minds want to know

22 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

He helped doom the Jets with his support for the worst QB in the NFL.  GFY Brandon Marshall 

Way overblown.  He only lived with Geno for two weeks.

23 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

If not for Marshall's boneheaded lateral against the eagles, we would have made the playoffs.  BM had more crucial drops than any WR on the team.   Glad he is gone.

Now a tune to remember him by:

Marshall was the Jets mvp in 2015.  He's the reason we were 10-6 and even had a shot at the playoffs.  He made Fitz look good and is the main reason Macagnan and Bowles still have jobs

Ok maybe we should be pissed at him

22 hours ago, Larz said:

Msrshall and Harris playing in the Patriots Giants Superbowl is going to be the capper on a crappy year

Meanwhile our dumpster fire roster figures out a way to squeeze out 4 wins during the season and we miss out on Darnold, Allen and Rosen

Hard to fault a guy with limited time left in the league wanting to play for a contender instead of a modern-day NFL version of the film "Major League".

People taking this personally are being very silly.  This isn't Joe Klecko or Joe Namath here, it's Brandon "cup of coffee with the Jets" Marshall.

Who cares? The guy is on the back end of his career looking to win a ring. I expect they would have released him anyway at some point. Marshall is what he is. He can contribute to a winning team and as long as they are in contention he might not run his mouth. Yeah right.

On 7/15/2017 at 9:13 AM, ASH1962 said:

While I do think Marshall is annoying, what he said somewhat validates the idea that the tanking theory is total BS. These guys play for pay checks yes, but most of, if not all of them want to win and could not stand by watching the team lose week in and week out.

Giants cannot lose enough for me....

Marshall almost literally said he had to leave because the Jets were tanking.

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Marshall almost literally said he had to leave because the Jets were tanking.

I know, he says he wants to win and cannot do that here, I get it, it does not mean they are trying to lose on purpose. He also confirms he is a locker room Cancer which I agree with, besides being a dropped pass waiting top happen. Go ask Jamal Adams, Mo, Leo, Matt Forte, or even Hack if they are trying to lose on purpose. While I realize we may suck big time, I refuse to believe, charging the prices for everything that the NFL and particularly the NY Jets do, that anyone is trying to lose on purpose. That is basically Grand Larceny. I do feel for the PSL and STH's that have to pay for, and sit through this crap though. Might as well have taken that dough and lit a match to it. Me, well, I will be finding a lot of other things to do on Sundays this Fall / Winter unless by chance Hack is the goods and we are competitive, not totally out of the realm of possibility IMO. I just wonder what all of the "Hack automatically cannot play in the NFL" crowd is going to say if he turns out to be a real NFL caliber QB LOL. What will they whine about then?

3 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

I know, he says he wants to win and cannot do that here, I get it, it does not mean they are trying to lose on purpose. He also confirms he is a locker room Cancer which I agree with, besides a dropped pass waiting top happen. Go ask Jamal Adams, Mo, Leo, Matt Forte, or even Hack if they are trying to lose on purpose. While I realize we may suck big time, I refuse to believe, charging the prices for everything that the NFL and particularly the NY Jets do, that anyone is trying to lose on purpose. That is basically Grand Larceny. I do feel for the PSL and STH's that have to pay for, and sit through this crap though. Might as well have taken that dough and lit a match to it. Me, well, I will be finding a lot of other things to do on Sundays this Fall / Winter unless by chance Hack is the goods and we are competitive, not totally out of the realm of possibility IMO. I just wonder what all of the "Hack automatically cannot play in the NFL" crowd is going to say if he turns out to be a real NFL caliber QB LOL. What will they whine about then?

This is like when someone's son gets caught smoking weed and they say "MY Billy would never do such a thing!" Tanking doesn't involve making your players not play hard; tanking involves depriving the team of resources at the outset of a campaign and waiting for attrition to siphon off the remaining minimal resources until you're entirely non-competitive. Landry and Marcus Maye can play as hard as they want, but when it gets to Week 6 and your veterans are begging to go on IR with tennis elbow, that's the tank, my homey.

On 7/15/2017 at 9:40 AM, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

BM speaks the truth, he would have imploded on this team, surprised he made it through last year without an episode, plus he was the architect for last years championship run aka dumpster fire... good luck

surprised none of the crack ny sports reporters have asked BM about the boat party, Will he attend this year? How will he mentor OBJ? Who gets more balls? stay tuned, enquiring minds want to know

When he was healthy, he played well here and gave his all. Not sure what else you can ask of a player. Which is way more than you can say for some other players,especially Wilkerson and Richardson. 

7 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

I know, he says he wants to win and cannot do that here, I get it, it does not mean they are trying to lose on purpose. He also confirms he is a locker room Cancer which I agree with, besides being a dropped pass waiting top happen. Go ask Jamal Adams, Mo, Leo, Matt Forte, or even Hack if they are trying to lose on purpose. While I realize we may suck big time, I refuse to believe, charging the prices for everything that the NFL and particularly the NY Jets do, that anyone is trying to lose on purpose. That is basically Grand Larceny. I do feel for the PSL and STH's that have to pay for, and sit through this crap though. Might as well have taken that dough and lit a match to it. Me, well, I will be finding a lot of other things to do on Sundays this Fall / Winter unless by chance Hack is the goods and we are competitive, not totally out of the realm of possibility IMO. I just wonder what all of the "Hack automatically cannot play in the NFL" crowd is going to say if he turns out to be a real NFL caliber QB LOL. What will they whine about then?

The "mystery seat" marketing campaign-WOW. What big brain came up with this piece of genius? You could be in the last row, or in the first row: WHO KNOWS? Or you could be on your couch and not in that sheetbox of a stadium that takes forever to get out of after ANOTHER blowout loss. 

Again, before PSLs ALL the seats were sold. 

10 hours ago, Warfish said:

Hard to fault a guy with limited time left in the league wanting to play for a contender instead of a modern-day NFL version of the film "Major League".

People taking this personally are being very silly.  This isn't Joe Klecko or Joe Namath here, it's Brandon "cup of coffee with the Jets" Marshall.

true eough, then he should have kept his  mouth shut last season and focused on playing his position.  as the saying goes, you're either part of the solution or part of the problem.  we all wanted marshall to play as well as he did in 2015 and he didn't.

1 hour ago, rangerous said:

true eough, then he should have kept his  mouth shut last season and focused on playing his position.  as the saying goes, you're either part of the solution or part of the problem.  we all wanted marshall to play as well as he did in 2015 and he didn't.

Our horrible quarterbacks had something to do with that

50 minutes ago, thadude said:

Our horrible quarterbacks had something to do with that

Remember that time Petty ran out from the sidelines and knocked the ball out of Marshall's hands preventing a first down? 

11 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Faairweatehrr fan

4 hours ago, Bugg said:

The "mystery seat" marketing campaign-WOW. What big brain came up with this piece of genius? You could be in the last row, or in the first row: WHO KNOWS? Or you could be on your couch and not in that sheetbox of a stadium that takes forever to get out of after ANOTHER blowout loss. 

Again, before PSLs ALL the seats were sold. 

Blowouts are the best for traffic

On 7/16/2017 at 7:23 PM, Bugg said:

When he was healthy, he played well here and gave his all. Not sure what else you can ask of a player. Which is way more than you can say for some other players,especially Wilkerson and Richardson. 

Agree, I have no issue with what he said or how he played for the Jets, just think it was a set up by the reporters 

On 7/16/2017 at 7:07 PM, Joe W. Namath said:

Marshall is washed up.  He will have another subpar year w/ the Giants.

Revis, mangold, harris etc, are all washed up.  

You can call it tanking but we actually just got rid of guys who cant play anymore.

We offered Marshall an extension beyond 2017, which he turned down and instead requested a release

On 7/16/2017 at 11:41 AM, JetFaninMI said:

Who cares? The guy is on the back end of his career looking to win a ring. I expect they would have released him anyway at some point. Marshall is what he is. He can contribute to a winning team and as long as they are in contention he might not run his mouth. Yeah right.

See above. They weren't going to release him next year. Maybe in 2019.

Archived