Jets Claim Kony Ealy

C Mart

2 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Trading away your guys is one thing, but I just don't understand basically trying a guy out for a 2nd round pick. But it's the Patriots, so nobody questions it.

It was obviously a bad trade for them but they've won 5 SBs under BB so who would be crazy enough to 2nd guess the guy?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't like him.  He's an inconsistent player with raw technique but solid athleticism, but apparently couldn't learn the Pats D, was a bad scheme fit and was not a good effort guy.  Also questions about character.

He was outplayed by all of NEs rookies and found himself without a spot on the team.  The Pats basically traded a 5th rounder in draft value for him so he was a gamble from the get go.

I doubt he makes the team.

46 minutes ago, detectivekimble said:

Nah.  Mauldin is too slow to rush the passer, but too small to stop the run.  This guy is built like Calvin Pace, who had a great frame.

I thinks Maildin's problem is more about speed or burst to be more exact. I don't remember him a liability vs the run in his short stint 

Macc: "Welcome to the Jets, Kony. We brought you in for a very specific purpose--"

Bowles grabs Kony by the shirt collar.

Bowles: "Tell us! We must know the Patriots' secrets!!"

Kony: "Hey thanks guys. Well every morning before practice, Coach B comes out and gives us a pep talk."

Bowles: "Yes!! How does he motivate the Patriots to win again and again? I must know!"

Kony: "He always ends his pep talk with the same line."

Macc leans in and takes a sip of coffee. Bowles licks the end of his pencil and prepares to take notes.

Kony hesitates.

Macc: "Go on, son."

Kony: "Uh he says, 'Whatever you do, don't play like a Jet today."

Bowles' pencil lead breaks. Macc pushes coffee away.

Jane Slater (@SlaterNFL)

8/27/17, 10:13 PM

Also per source, here are the other teams that put in a claim for DE Kony Ealy: Giants, Bucs, Lions, Redskins & Cardinals

Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo)

8/27/17, 10:14 PM

Watch Maccagnan try to flip Ealy for a pick now. Maybe play NFC East teams against one another. Why not? twitter.com/slaternfl/stat…

ealy.jpg

Adam Schefter is reporting that the Jets made a waiver claim for defensive end Kony Ealy. Ealy was recently waived by the Patriots in a surprise move since they gave up draft position to get him.

The Jets claimed defensive end Kony Ealy off waivers a day after the Patriots cut him, a source confirmed. Ealy joined the Patriots in March in a trade from the Panthers. New England sent its second-round pick to Carolina in exchange for Ealy and a third-round selection. But Ealy was not a fit in New England, and Bill Belichick cut him loose.

The 6-foot-4, 275-pound Ealy is best known for his Super Bowl 50 performance with the Panthers. He had three sacks, an interception and a forced fumble in the loss to the Broncos. That was only 18 months ago, but Ealy is now joining his third team.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
Gr7rE-F61uI

Click here to read the full story...

6 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Trading away your guys is one thing, but I just don't understand basically trying a guy out for a 2nd round pick. But it's the Patriots, so nobody questions it.

"2nd round pick" is an extremely overstatement. They traded away what was equivalent to a 5th round pick. Big deal. At least he didn't draft a chump with his 2nd round pick. 

Bowles' system is different than most.

Linemen attack and LBs read. Most of them have the linemen read and MLBs attack. This is why Wilkerson lost much of his value when Rex left. He is very instinctive which doesn't help him now. 

Who knows Ealy might be a good fit here and surprise. I know he's going to have a lot more room to work with here. Should be a rush LBs dream to play next to this line. 

17 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

They didn't "trade their 2nd" for him.  They swapped their 2nd for Carolina's 3rd.  64 for 72.  Value chart rates it around 40 points which equates to a 5th.

Apparently, Dietrich Wise Jr. has been killing it. 

Ealy was Sheldn's teammate at Missouri. 

Man, everything I had to say was said already.

11 hours ago, C Mart said:

Jane Slater (@SlaterNFL)

8/27/17, 10:13 PM

Also per source, here are the other teams that put in a claim for DE Kony Ealy: Giants, Bucs, Lions, Redskins & Cardinals

Mike Garafolo (@MikeGarafolo)

8/27/17, 10:14 PM

Watch Maccagnan try to flip Ealy for a pick now. Maybe play NFC East teams against one another. Why not? twitter.com/slaternfl/stat…

Normally when you see that many teams put in a claim you can flip a guy, but the Pats were supposedly shopping this kid all weekend.  If they couldn't get anything for him, what are we going to get?  A conditional 7th?  Teams don't like to deal within the division, so more likely we were interested but wouldn't offer anything to the Pats. 

4 minutes ago, KRL said:

With cut down date coming up this weekend expect to see a lot more of these moves.  Anybody who upgrades this team should be brought in particularly at WR, TE & OL

Why start using this strategy now?  They have been cutting salary and age all offseason.  It wouldn't make much sense to take on either now, though there is sure to be plenty that could help this team on the market.

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Why start using this strategy now?  They have been cutting salary and age all offseason.  It wouldn't make much sense to take on either now, though there is sure to be plenty that could help this team on the market.

Where did he say we should be taking on vets with contracts????

There are lots of teams with young players on their 1st deal, later picks of even udfa's that will get cut and be an upgrade over our lower roster end players.

1 minute ago, Beerfish said:

There are lots of teams with young players on their 1st deal, later picks of even udfa's that will get cut and be an upgrade over our lower roster end players.

Exactly, it's all about players 25-26 years old and younger

16 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

???

what if a team cuts a 25 yr old OT for whatever reason?  Maybe they are using a new O system / blocking scheme that doesn't fit the guy? 

Just now, Beerfish said:

I get what you mean, but you said "anybody who upgrades this team."  There are plenty of guys who would upgrade this team that are vets and making money.  There were plenty already on this team this FO dumped - this year's roster is worse than last year.  I get the idea of picking through the bodies for good fits, but the guys they pick up HAVE to be beneficial beyond this lost year. No reason to go after the Jason Babin's and Pete Kendall's of the world even though they would be dramatic upgrades for this roster. 

Just now, C Mart said:

???

what if a team cuts a 25 yr old OT for whatever reason?  Maybe they are using a new O system / blocking scheme that doesn't fit the guy? 

I understand what Beerfish meant, I was just pointing out that they shouldn't be taking his statement literally.  

Now, as he said to me: Where did I say that we should not be picking up players during the mini-draft???  They should pick up plenty of guys - I'm guessing 5 at the low end.  They just have to be selective towards future value, rather than the Tannenbaum years when any instant improvement had value.

Archived